Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Megaquarium by Twice Circled

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Megaquarium by Twice Circled

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:18 am

I picked up Megaquarium at 35% off on the Steam Summer Sale. I'd gotten the previous game, Big Pharma, from this developer and thought it was pretty good, so when Megaquarium was announced I started following the newsfeed. When it was released out of Early Access I still waited, but the reviews have been pretty good and the developer has been very active in taking feedback from the community and making timely updates. And Steam Workshop support is in beta, so I took the leap.

This is a tycoon game, but on the light side. Nothing too heavy duty, not really even any spreadsheets other than a simple profit/loss chart. You build tanks and supply the associated support equipment, hire staff, put in fish and then with the Science, Prestige and Ecology points you earn you can unlock more fish, equipment, decorations, that sort of thing.

"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Daehawk

Re: Megaquarium by Twice Circled

Post by Daehawk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 am

Looks neat. I want to love this type game but usually find them difficult and complicated. Im still wishing for a great arcade sim like this where I can build Flynns or my old hometown one. I got one that looked perfect but turned out to be a click fest where i had to click to repair and click to empty the change box and so on..yawn. Not looking for mobile crap on my PC. Ill look into this. But $17 is above my price point for this type game. $8 is about my limit.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:52 am

Yeah I'd say that this game is going to appeal to folks who don't want to deal with a lot of complications in a tycoon game. Also supposedly all the fish names and details are authentic so it can be a learning experience as well. The game tutorial is presented as a series of missions, but the real fun will be in Sandbox mode.

Also I think I was wrong about Early Access, it released at 1.0 back in September. There have been about twenty updates to make fixes and also add features, the last one in April. The Workshop beta went live a few days ago. This is what the dev had to say:
Why beta?
Firstly it will give modders a chance to get used to the workshop and upload their creations before the full public launch. By the time the public launch comes it should be nicely stocked with all manner of things to play with!

Secondly it gives everyone, modders and players alike, a chance to give feedback on features, request new ones and report bugs.

With that in mind, please take extra care using mods during the beta period. I recommend that you manually save any existing games before applying mods in case they break the game.

Another note: the new mod manager in-game is in English only currently. When the full launch comes it will be localised into your local language.

How long will the beta last?
This depends on the volume of feedback/requests that come back. Somewhere between 2 and 6 weeks is probable.
Here are a few projects already available in the beta:
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:48 am

Here's a larger aquarium I've built as part of the campaign. Playing on Normal difficulty I've not really had to worry about money flow, as I earn more than enough each day to pay salaries, maintenance and still be able to expand. There are also difficulty levels of Hard and Brutal which make it more of a challenge, but right now I'm happy to just enjoy the easier Normal difficulty.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Steam Workshop support for Megaquarium launched today, with the developer posting his own mod of a nurse shark plus three videos on how the mod was made.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Megaquarium is also on sale at 40% off till July 30th.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:11 pm

Another cool thing, you can walk around your aquarium in first person: