Godhood goes EA on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Godhood goes EA on Steam

Post by LordMortis »

https://godhoodgame.com/

I've mostly checked out of EA games (and am disgruntled the last few games I bought post release are being treated like EA games but...), though I probably would have combined the 10% off plus the $5 summer sale discount to get this if it would have released yesterday.

Ignoring Black and White, I have a good history of liking god games, even a $5 play it to death to "beat" it and drop it game like Rues was.

It's by the same group that wrapped up a lot content after content additions to Reknowned Explorers, which I enjoyed far more than I thought I would and every blue moon go back to (discovering they had added more content that I didn't even have to pay for beyond the two DLC I *did* pay for.)

So I'm a fan of Abbeygames and a fan of God games so I've got my eye on this. I'll probably start looking for Let's Plays this weekend.

Edit and here's one from today

noxiousdog

Re: Godhood goes EA on Steam

Post by noxiousdog »

It looks very interesting, but I wonder about the repetitive nature. That's what the negative reviews on Steam point out.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's EA and freshly so, so who's to say. Rues was repetitve but I got my five buck out of it and put it down. Renowned Explorers is repetitive but I enjoy it and still pick up from time to time and while they sold two DLC they supported and expanded it for years.

This is not to say this game will be good. It's to say this is genre I like by a developer how has been 2 for 2 with my money, so it has my attention.

If this ends up being another Rues level entertainment but for $25+ paid for DLC, I'll be disappointed.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 pm It's EA and freshly so, so who's to say. Rues was repetitve but I got my five buck out of it and put it down. Renowned Explorers is repetitive but I enjoy it and still pick up from time to time and while they sold two DLC they supported and expanded it for years.

This is not to say this game will be good. It's to say this is genre I like by a developer how has been 2 for 2 with my money, so it has my attention.

If this ends up being another Rues level entertainment but for $25+ paid for DLC, I'll be disappointed.
I agree. It looks great for $5. Not so much for $25.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This released recently and I picked it up since I liked Abbey's previous games.

Can't compare it to how it was when it came to EA, but seems really fun and charming to me so far. It's definitely less of a god game, and more of a team management type game which might throw some people off, but so far I like being able to create your god and make your religion whatever you want it to be over time.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:11 pm This released recently and I picked it up since I liked Abbey's previous games.

Can't compare it to how it was when it came to EA, but seems really fun and charming to me so far. It's definitely less of a gad game, and more of a team management type game which might throw some people off, but so far I like being able to create your gad and make your religion whatever you want it to be over time.
Wow. That came out of nowhere. Steam says I last tried it was at the tail end of November and it still had a lot cooking to do IMO, especially for the price point. It really felt like all of the religious spread paths were the same and the game would have zero repeatability. I don't regret the purchase because I want to support a studio I like (I have played Reknonwed Explorers probably 100s of hours) but it was not a even a $10 game IMO. Godhood was more of a curiosity of ideas than a fleshed out game working with the ideas as advertised. It looks like updates 4,5,6 and release 1.0 have happened since last I played. I guess that's room for a lot of change/additions, so I'll put this on the list for the weekend. Thanks for heads up.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this just reminded me of Godus. what's Molyneux's latest failing?