GreedFall- 17th century fantasy RPG

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Alefroth

GreedFall- 17th century fantasy RPG

Post by Alefroth »

This one looks pretty interesting to me and the setting looks fairly original.

Kind of came out of nowhere, releasing in September,

YoungGrumpyMan

Re: GreedFall- 17th century fantasy RPG

Post by YoungGrumpyMan »

This one seems really under the radar. Gonna watch gameplay to see what it's like. Story trailer from E3 had me interested.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YoungGrumpyMan wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:53 pm This one seems really under the radar. Gonna watch gameplay to see what it's like. Story trailer from E3 had me interested.

New gameplay overview trailer has been released. It's really looking good.

dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Yup, I'm following this one too.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
JCC

Post by JCC »

This looks interesting, but at the risk of seeming shallow, am I the only one who finds the title off putting? Greedfall... Really?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since someone needs to bump the thread, I'll just note that I'm interested in this but won't be picking it up right away. My dance card is pretty much fully booked until Christmas or so, with a new game coming every 3 weeks from mid-September to mid-November.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It really catches my attention, but I need to see a few reviews first. I also want to see performance reports. My processor isn't exactly up to snuff these days.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You can watch the VOD for today's Twitch launch stream here:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 pm Since someone needs to bump the thread, I'll just note that I'm interested in this but won't be picking it up right away. My dance card is pretty much fully booked until Christmas or so, with a new game coming every 3 weeks from mid-September to mid-November.
Yep, my post in the Games Finished thread isn't seeing much action, so I won't be picking it up for myself right away. I will get it for my wife though, as she loves Dragon Age, so I will be able to see it firsthand.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Definitely interested in this. Am eager to read reviews.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, checked out ACG and Eurogamer's reviews this morning. They both liked it, and said the quests are particularly engaging. They noted some glitches as well. Still interested, but look forward to reading some impressions from players.
Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

Having lots of fun with it so far. Put in a few hours on PC. Game looks beautiful. Controls are a bit floaty, but I'm getting used to it. Lowering the sensitivity actually helped. I have a few minor issues, but the overall experience is just fun. Gameplay is fun which is the most important thing to me. Just got to the main island, but I'm happy to answer any questions if I can. Playing on full ultra at 1440 getting about 90fps with my (brag) brand new Ryzen 3700x and RTX 2080.

Couple of tips I discovered:

Take your first skill in lockpicking since there are some chests that require it and i don't believe you go back to the starting town. Nothing major in those chests, but I hate leaving them behind. Alternatively your first companion has a chest with +1 lockpicking on it that you can equip when needed.

You can pause in combat which pulls up a sub menu to choose actions. I haven't used it much, but it's implemented well.

The first town has lots of fire and ash floating so you may miss the sparkling chests that contain loot as I did initially. They look similar to fire sparkles.

Block.Block.Block. That seems to be the key to combat. On PC the right mouse is a quick block depending on what weapon you have. It appears to mitigate all damage and cost no resources to use. The only factor is timing since you can't hold a block, so you just have to time it which is not that hard or twitchy.

Just found a combat arena in the Coin Guard barracks in the new island. Appears to be a gauntlet of foes for some easy XP. Found it just by exploring the area (you get sent there for a quest).

There are multiple ways to finish quests. Some are skill dependent, but they are all very obvious and the choice you make doesn't seem to matter yet, at least in the early quests.

There is some fast travel and a campfire option to organize your party of 2 others with a shared stash similar to Dragon Age.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Thanks for the initial impressions. ACG review was pretty positive. If there wasn't an avalanche of must play games coming I would be on this already.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

JCC wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 am Still interested, but look forward to reading some impressions from players.
Ask and ye shall receive...

I've only put in about 3-4 hours so far but that was enough to complete the starter town and set sail for the island where most of the game takes place. Basically, I got to the title screen (a moment which felt very Assassin's Creed).

The game wears its inspirations very plainly. The general gameplay is very BioWare: voiced, animated conversations with dialogue options interspersed with real-time-with-pause pseudo-tactical RPG-trinity combat. They seem to have absolutely nailed the general feel and flow of that style of game. Playing on Hard (and as a squishy mage), the early combat reminds me strongly of the beginning of Witcher 2, in the sense that DODGE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DODGE is my number one priority in combat. Dealing damage is what you do when you're not just avoiding getting pounded into the ground in 2-3 hits. The quests are also all multi-step and remind me of Witcher's approach to storytelling as well.

That said, early on it does feel like a lesser version of the games it's trying to be. While there are dialogue choices, there are fewer of them, no tonal options, and so far they have really just boiled down to letting you choose the order in which you ask the bunch of questions that would be under the "Investigate" button on the Mass Effect wheel. And while the combat wants to be DA: Inquisition/Witcher-esque, it doesn't feel nearly as tight or refined as those games. One fight that occurred in close quarters had me battling the camera to see well enough not to get trapped in corners and I generally have a hard time timing my dodges properly (although that may just be me sucking, so far).

I'm not unhappy with this. I'm enough of a BioWare junky that even a poor facsimile is enjoyable for me, especially since even BioWare doesn't really seem to want to make BioWare games any more. But the game is definitely not as good, early on, as Dragon Age: Origins or The Witcher 3 -- but being 75% as good as the all-time greats is not too shabby.

Visually, it's pretty, but not bleeding-edge pretty. The environments look nice and the armour art does as well but hair textures, for example, feel a little dated (and there fewer possible hairstyles or other character customization options than I expected). On the plus side, not being bleeding edge means my RTX 2070 has been able to run the game on Ultra at 4K with tolerable frame rates (granted, I can tolerate frame rates in the 30-50 range, so YMMV).

I'll try to report back on the story once I've experienced more than the setup. The intro town did a good job of introducing the game's multiple factions (although giving you a quest that is literally "go and meet the ambassadors of these factions" so you can ingratiate yourself and get an exposition dump was somewhat lacking in subtlety) but so far, so archetypal: religious faction, science faction, merchant faction. Now I hope they mix things up and subvert things a bit once the islanders join the party.

So far, so good enough for me. Granted, DA:O and ME 1, 2, and all-but-the-last-few-minutes-of-3 are some of my all-time favourite games, so I'm probably easier to please than most when it comes to this genre. Its clearly not perfect but after Andromeda, Anthem, etc., even watered down catnip is still the best catnip I've had in a while.

- Ash
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 am If there wasn't an avalanche of must play games coming I would be on this already.
Despite the fact that Borderlands 3 release in 10.5 hours, I bought Greedfall last night and played about 3 hours. Enough to just get started on the island. So far I am enjoying it quite a bit, though there are far too many skills that I must have! I'm only level 5 so I guess I've got some time to get them all. I will be playing BL3 tonight and this weekend, but in co-op with my 13yo so when he isn't around I can fall back to Greedfall and explore this crazy place some more.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I couldn't resist the 17th century aesthetics and bought it yesterday from Greenmangaming.com for 42 bucks. I've been streaming it to my TV from my Nvidia Shield and it looks and plays great.

I"m about 90 minutes into the game so far and I'm still running around the starter area picking up quests and reading through the codex. I love the world they've built for the game, and I'm looking forward to the island more and more as I hear all these stories about what I'll find there.

I've read the game is only about 30 to 35 hours, which makes me kind of sad. Games like Divinity 2 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey have spoiled me and now I expect my games to run 100 hours or more. :oops:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 am I've read the game is only about 30 to 35 hours, which makes me kind of sad. Games like Divinity 2 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey have spoiled me and now I expect my games to run 100 hours or more. :oops:
And on the other hand I tried three times and never got to the end of Divinty 2 as it overstays its welcome. Well that and the weak quest log/info really punishes taking time off. I am not sure how long I spent on Odyssey, but it was nowhere close to 100 hours.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have 131 hours in Divinity 2 as of yesterday (I'm finally on Act IV, but I restarted about two thirds of the way through Act I so I could play the enhanced version when it was released), and I've got about 127 hours in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Both are extremes for me, but both have never felt drawn out or tiresome for me. If a game is done right, I want as much of it as I can get. I'm not one to just want to finish a game for the sake of finishing it, I want to enjoy myself.
Covfefe!
YoungGrumpyMan

Post by YoungGrumpyMan »

Mental note not to sell a piece of clothing from other factions ever again. Just had to re-buy the Sailor's Coat (after selling it) to pass as a Naut for a mission... 140 coins to waste.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 am I've read the game is only about 30 to 35 hours, which makes me kind of sad. Games like Divinity 2 and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey have spoiled me and now I expect my games to run 100 hours or more. :oops:
That's about perfect for me. Anything longer and I'm likely to wander off to the next shiny before I finish.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:57 pm
That's about perfect for me. Anything longer and I'm likely to wander off to the next shiny before I finish.
Exactly! :D I'll do the occasional umpty hour time sink like a Fallout or Horizon Zero Dawn recently but I'm perfectly happy with that length. I'm holding off on this game for now as (from memory) games from Spiders tend to need a bit of time to settle down and get the kinks worked out? Never mind the fact that my backlog is stupid big right now. :?
-mf
Jag

Post by Jag »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am I'm holding off on this game for now as (from memory) games from Spiders tend to need a bit of time to settle down and get the kinks worked out? Never mind the fact that my backlog is stupid big right now. :?
Nope. Game is working fine out of the box from what I'm reading. Maybe some quality of life tweaks, but fine as is.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Somehow I'd convinced myself that this was an MMO.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Must be the name, as I had the same thought. I only picked it up after reading up on the world they built for the game. And honestly, it’s been fantastic so far. I love the few starting hours of the game that build up this mysterious island that you’re about to sail to. It really makes the grandeur of it all that much better when you finally do make it there.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Jag wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm
MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am I'm holding off on this game for now as (from memory) games from Spiders tend to need a bit of time to settle down and get the kinks worked out? Never mind the fact that my backlog is stupid big right now. :?
Nope. Game is working fine out of the box from what I'm reading. Maybe some quality of life tweaks, but fine as is.
8-)
-mf
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Has anyone picked this up on the PS4 yet and if so how is the performance?
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Agreed. Steam says I have played it 18 hours and I haven't had any issues at all (I mean other than the vicious wildlife - some of those creatures are brutal). I finally got a companion that uses magic in combat and I am starting to get jealous of him. I am seriously considering respeccing to magic damage.

I will say that Stasis almost feels like cheating. It is basically all I use magic for. Otherwise, it's just slice and dice. I have lots of options that I am completely ignoring. Maybe one day I will expand my horizons.

My one disappointment so far is in the morality of the game. So far there has *always* been a right answer to everything. With all of these factions there is room for a little gray. I think I read there are supposed to be different endings to the game. Based on that I was expecting more choice. I guess I am only halfway through, we'll see if things change in the back half.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It does seem like the morality system is kind of half baked. I had hoped for a bit more nuance. I enjoy the stories so far, but my choices do seem to be rather limited when it comes time for my involvement.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 am
Agreed. Steam says I have played it 18 hours and I haven't had any issues at all (I mean other than the vicious wildlife - some of those creatures are brutal). I finally got a companion that uses magic in combat and I am starting to get jealous of him. I am seriously considering respeccing to magic damage.

I will say that Stasis almost feels like cheating. It is basically all I use magic for. Otherwise, it's just slice and dice. I have lots of options that I am completely ignoring. Maybe one day I will expand my horizons.

My one disappointment so far is in the morality of the game. So far there has *always* been a right answer to everything. With all of these factions there is room for a little gray. I think I read there are supposed to be different endings to the game. Based on that I was expecting more choice. I guess I am only halfway through, we'll see if things change in the back half.
Magic is way too OP in this game. I had to bump up the challenge level because combat became boring once I was able to equip Level 3 rings. Mass fury stun, then take out chunks of health from a distance ignoring armor. Once low on mana, just lightning dash around until it regens, which is does fast with a decent neck.

Magic is way broken in this game, but it's still fun.

Maybe make a save and test a new build with the respec stone and reload if you don't like it. At level 18, I am deep into all the magic skills.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm Maybe make a save and test a new build with the respec stone and reload if you don't like it. At level 18, I am deep into all the magic skills.
Amusing to note that I am also level 18.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Scraper wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 am Has anyone picked this up on the PS4 yet and if so how is the performance?
I'm playing this on a PS4 Pro and so far, performance is good (but I'm not very far into the game, so ... grain of salt etc.). It supports HDR on PS4, which I like a lot, and the controls are ok on a gamepad. The movement feels a bit "wobbly" but I think I just need to get used to it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve had two crashes on the PC version in 5 hours of playtime.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ChuckB wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:28 pm
Scraper wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 am Has anyone picked this up on the PS4 yet and if so how is the performance?
I'm playing this on a PS4 Pro and so far, performance is good (but I'm not very far into the game, so ... grain of salt etc.). It supports HDR on PS4, which I like a lot, and the controls are ok on a gamepad. The movement feels a bit "wobbly" but I think I just need to get used to it.
I have the regular PS4, so I wonder how the performance is on that?
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Huh. Three huge things in the span of about 10 minutes. They could have spread that out just a bit. There was actually a fourth huge thing but that was a different quest line so I am not lumping it in here. I can't really say anything else without hugely spoiling things for folks, I just needed to express my disbelief somewhere.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 am Thanks for the initial impressions. ACG review was pretty positive. If there wasn't an avalanche of must play games coming I would be on this already.
12 days after saying I had too much on my plate to buy this, I finished Greedfall this morning. 39.6 hours per steam although more than I would care to admit of that was spent reloading. I was playing on hard because I read it was too easy on normal difficulty. It never did try magic. I really enjoyed it, though there were plenty of things I might have changed, but nothing that killed the fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm still about 5 hours into it (Just got to the island...the Heartland expansion for State of Decay 2 kind of took over my life this weekend) and am playing on normal. Can I switch to hard without causing any issues, you think?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

No idea about switching difficulty. You won't get the achievement for the higher difficulty if you care about that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Achievements? I do not bother with such trifles!
Covfefe!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am I'm still about 5 hours into it (Just got to the island...the Heartland expansion for State of Decay 2 kind of took over my life this weekend) and am playing on normal. Can I switch to hard without causing any issues, you think?
I have switched back and forth between Hard and Normal several times so far in my playthrough, without any noticeable adverse effects.

I started on Hard, found it too hard (especially for an early, under-geared character), switched to Normal, eventually found it too easy (especially once I got the hang of crafting gear upgrades, etc.), switched back to Hard, got my ass handed to me in the very next fight, and switched back to Normal.

- Ash
Jag

Post by Jag »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am I'm still about 5 hours into it (Just got to the island...the Heartland expansion for State of Decay 2 kind of took over my life this weekend) and am playing on normal. Can I switch to hard without causing any issues, you think?
If you go magic, go hard. It becomes way too easy otherwise once you get to the level 3 ring.