XBox Project Scarlett

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

XBox Project Scarlett

Post by Isgrimnur »

XBox
Project Scarlett arriving Holiday 2020

Project Scarlett will set a new bar for console power, speed and performance, arriving Holiday 2020 alongside Halo Infinite. With a custom-designed AMD processor, high bandwidth GDDR6 memory, and a next generation solid state drive (SSD), Project Scarlett will give developers the power they need to bring their creative visions to life. Thousands of games across four console generations will look and play best on Project Scarlett.

SSD (and Solid Stated Drives!) with a page file. Truly revolutionary.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Re: XBox Project Scarlett

Post by Alefroth »

AMD sure is killing it in the console space.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This might be the first time I pass on a mainstream console since... ummm... thinking about it I don't think I have ever passed on a mainstream game console. Oh, I never had a Colecovision!

Xbox play anywhere gives me the ONE xbox exclusive franchise (Forza, and really just Horizon) I give a damn about on the PC.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why would you announce this 18 months early? Wouldn't it tend to depress sales this holiday season?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 am This might be the first time I pass on a mainstream console since... ummm... thinking about it I don't think I have ever passed on a mainstream game console. Oh, I never had a Colecovision!
WHAT!?!?!

Then you missed out on this!

Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:56 am Why would you announce this 18 months early? Wouldn't it tend to depress sales this holiday season?
I am not sure XBONE sales could be *more* depressed.

Edited for more up to date sales link:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/439531/ ... june-2019/

June 2019 sales for instance:
PlayStation 4 Monthly Sales: 665,479

Xbox One Monthly Sales: 194,188

Switch Monthly Sales: 879,072

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Switch launched in March 2017.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Xbox is by far my favorite console, but it's very likely I'll skip this generation as well. With the kids getting older and completely taking over the TV, I find my console gaming has dropped to virtually nil. Besides, I have more games than I have time to play on PC anyway. It would take some absolutely killer exclusives for me to jump back into the console waters, and even then I'm not sure how motivated I'd be.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

at least MS is still doing 'backwards compatibility'. hopefully it has an optical drive so you can run original Xbox titles off the DVD. (and audio CD playback)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

xbox controller is still king for me, but PS4 murdered XBONE in terms of exclusives.

It is funny that Sony wins my business with exclusives and Epic earns my ire for the same thing. People are weird.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't find it to be too weird. I think exclusives make more sense for consoles from a marketing standpoint. Exclusives tied to a console makes that particular console more attractive depending on the hype and status of the games. People will go where the games are and more to the point, go to the games they like.

I've always found the PC to be more of a free-market. Everyone is welcome. But until recently, there haven't been exclusives separated via store. These I would call artificial exclusives as they're just creating artificial boundaries where there should technically be none.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Until recently we've had a single seller market. There were other companies, but Steam had no competition. Nobody had anything to pull customers away from Steam, so Valve was free to do business however they saw fit.

A ton of cash and exclusives were really the only option to compete in that market.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, but even before Steam, you could just pop in a disc and install and not have to worry about associations or having to install a store before playing. As for Steam, it was originally only a delivery method for their own games, and it was only later that they became a store selling other games.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti