Remnant From the Ashes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Remnant From the Ashes

Post by Daehawk »

3rd person shooter in sci-fi post apoc worldS
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Re: Remnant From the Ashes

Post by Alefroth »

Gameranx had that on their upcoming games in August video and they made it look more interesting than that trailer.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I thought it was going to have more RPG elements to it but it looks like it's just guns? I was hoping for different classes, melee, magic, etc. Still it looks super cool and reminds me of Hellgate so I pre-ordered it anyway.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Did anyone try this? I just noticed it came out already, and then I noticed that I wrote I had preordered it. I totally don't remember ordering it but oh well. I hate getting old.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Haha. I am waiting on your impressions old man. I've read it does remind people of HG but mostly in the story/world and the way it plays out of subway hubs. I have not heard it reminds anyone of HG for the good reasons. The weapon modding and class building. I'll prolly pass unless you come back with glowing reviews. Get busy!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm curious, but basically know very little about it. A friend called it a Souls-like which got my attention, but too deeps into No Man's Sky right now and with Borderlands 3 coming soon and The Surge 2 right after that, I don't have room for another game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

This was probably a mistake impulse buy on my part. I think I got confused by some previews calling it an action-rpg and mentioning lots of loot so I was hoping for more of a Diablo type experience in 3D. Hope to get some time this weekend to check it out but I'm not too optimistic from the reviews I read.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched a review last night and that cured any urge I had to check it out. Not terrible, but bugs and randomly generated maps that are hit or miss is enough to keep me away until it's cheaper.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Found this review over on GT. Sounds interesting but the "fiercely challenging even in a group" aspect makes this less appealing to a single-player person like me. Hmmm....
-mf
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am Found this review over on GT. Sounds interesting but the "fiercely challenging even in a group" aspect makes this less appealing to a single-player person like me. Hmmm....
I finally fired this up a few times over the weekend. The good news is it did have the atmosphere/feel of Hellgate that I had kind of hoped for. The bad news is it definitely seemed to be too difficult for me playing solo, and so I did try getting into public multiplayer. The first couple of times it would have me join but only in a viewing mode. The third time I was finally able to get into a working group and we made it past an early stage, but the next stage I died and was again relegated to a viewing mode. I'm not sure exactly what the intent here is, but it just seems like the game needs some tuning to be more accessible. The play experience is similar to a couple of other games (I can't remember the title off the top of my head of that one multiplayer FPS game where you keep killing tons of stuff) and pretty fun when everything is working, but the logistics seem like they need some tweaking to make it more fun.

I'd say wait for a sale and look for re-balancing before spending any time with it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sounds a bit like Vermintide. Though that's swords and bows. But the enemies are never ending.
Or maybe Killing Floor? Though that one didn't really have stages or goals. Just stay alive and kill everything.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:22 pm Sounds a bit like Vermintide. Though that's swords and bows. But the enemies are never ending.
Or maybe Killing Floor? Though that one didn't really have stages or goals. Just stay alive and kill everything.
Yes! Killing Floor 2 was the one I think I played, thanks. I also played a bit of Vermintide, but KF2 was the one it reminded me of. Remnant has a bit more of a story going for it (I think).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just started playing on xBone as it's on GamePass now. It's tough, really, really tough to solo and I still haven't beaten the first boss level (stupid exploding/infecting/bleeding minions are too freaking fast).

And I'm playing on Standard. Will need to see if there's an easier setting.

If there's anyone else interested on Console Game Pass, I'd be up for some co-op!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:51 am I watched a review last night and that cured any urge I had to check it out. Not terrible, but bugs and randomly generated maps that are hit or miss is enough to keep me away until it's cheaper.
The price was finally right as a kind OOer on hiatus gifted this to me through a third party. After playing a bit to figure it out, I talked my 13yo into getting it as well and we've played through the first few hours, killing the first boss in both of our worlds (co-op campaign progress only applies to the hosts world) and playing a good bit past that and we are having a lot of fun with it. It's very much a souls-like shooter with randomized maps, but without any sort of death penalty.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

One more follow-up post to mention that we finished this morning and had a blast with it. Don't be afraid of it being called a souls-like, it is much more accessible with fairly forgiving mechanics, particularly if you have a co-op partner to play with.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I keep going back and forth on this one. It looks cool, but I'm not sure about solo difficulty. Didn't like Dark Souls, didn't enjoy some crazy viking souls-like game. I should probably already know the answer to this, but the praise is rather high across the boards...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Note that when I say it is much more accessible than Dark Souls I am not saying that it is accessible. It just is when compared to Dark Souls. :D The co-op game play is also much better than Dark Souls. In Dark Souls it was pretty restricted, in this game you can play the whole thing co-op without needing extra looted doodads. You can play co-op public or private. The only caveat is that progress on your campaign is only achieved when you are the host. You still get to keep all your loot, upgrades, weapon mods, trinkets etc... but you still have to kill the story bosses if you want to progress your local campaign.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's a 0% chance of playing this cooperatively. The question is whether or not it's worth it for solo (to me). Some games (like Borderlands) likely shine as coops. I never have played it with anyone else and enjoyed them all tremendously as solo shooter-y things.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I would skip it in that case. I've played all of the Borderlands games single player and two player co-op and it does a much better job of making the game fun in both cases. Many of the Remnant bosses would be a serious bitch solo and even the regular stuff would get annoying, having to restart an area every time you get overrun. It would be much more frustratingly Dark Souls-y (but still lacking a meaningful death penalty).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:16 pm I think I would skip it in that case.
I would tend to agree. I ended up buying this with a very small percentage chance of co-op play and while you technically can play solo it really seems to be meant for multiple players working together.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Since I can't stop playing this game I want to report that I did a run-through completely solo yesterday without any major difficulty. Of course that should be taken with a giant dose of salt since my character is using maxed out gear with 17 different traits maxed out, making him obnoxiously OP for a normal difficulty run, but what that really means is that if you are either really good or really willing to grind, you can succeed at this game solo. I have now completed the game 4 times. I *really* want to do hard mode but it's a bitch solo and my son doesn't want to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and now, after 60 hours played, Remnant is now the third steam game in which I have 100% of achievements.

There are a few other things I could do, but the main way to improve my character now involve progressing in hardcore with a new character and that seems, challenging. Thought maybe not THAT challenging. The last achievement I got was killing a boss solo without taking any damage.

I think I may move on, but I can't overstate how much I've enjoyed this game, both solo and co-op (again, with the caveat that I played solo after significantly improving my character in co-op).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...but it's possible to "grind" yourself into success for solo? Like in Borderlands, you can ignore side quests and blast forward with the main story solo or do what I did - play every single side quest and you're then tackling bosses and tougher missions solo at a higher level than the game expected. To be fair, that never felt "grindy", but I know that's what I was doing. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:06 pm ...but it's possible to "grind" yourself into success for solo?
Yes, but I think you would find it more grindy than doing side-quests in a Borderlands game. I hate the fact that I keep talking the game up and then talking it back down again for your case. If you are ok with some repetitive grinding for trait points to up your survivability and resources to upgrade your gear, or repetitively dying to bosses then I think you can really enjoy this game. I have enjoyed a bunch of souls-likes at this point so I am kind of used to it. I don't know where you stand on that kind of punishment. The co-op and shooting really changes it up for me which is what drove me through multiple playthroughs both co-op and solo and going after all of the achievements.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Heh, no worries. It'll hit a price point where I'm willing to give it a gamble. I just picked up Shadow Warrior 2 after reading positive reviews and after a few hours, uninstalled it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to my game playing any more other than (I think) it has to feel rewarding. If I'm throwing myself into a wall for 2 hours and nothing changes, I don't enjoy that. But if can see or feel progress, I'll keep going. I think. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmm...on sale again as part of Lunar New Year promotion. :think:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:46 pm Hmm...on sale again as part of Lunar New Year promotion. :think:
Your obsessed hesitance amuses me greatly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It is weird, right? Game on! :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, am I terrible at this game. It's giving me a bit of a Hellgate: London vibe. Not as gear-droppy, but the general vibe. I actually had you Youtube a bunch of n00b videos as this game is completely outside my wheelhouse and thankfully they did a great job at giving me some excellent starter tips. I'm kinda conflicted because the view (3rd person) screams "Use your Xbox360 controller" but the core mechanic of shooting demands "Use KB/M". I started with the keyboard and mouse controls but couldn't get my fingers to accept the rolling / dodging mechanics. But on the controller? They feel perfect.

Not exactly what I expected but the game world / lore is quite interesting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think I even considered playing it with a controller and I generally have one sitting on my desk for whenever a game calls for it. I'm glad youtube was able to help you out because at this point I think I would be hard pressed to come up with useful tips primarily because I don't remember what options you have at the beginning. Melee is good for the crowds of scrubs, but this is definitely not a melee focused game. You actually can do something of a melee build but the final boss is untouchable with melee so don't get too excited about it. Don't underestimate the value of a heavy hitting pistol. Try everything out. All the weapons and all the mods, heavier and lighter armors. There is a lot of gear so you should be able to find something that feels right to you.

Have you made it to the first boss? One of the interesting things about the game is the random nature of it. Maps are partially random and many of the boss encounters you will face one of two different bosses. I think the first one is Gorefist or Shroud. Two completely different experiences. Just thinking about it kind of makes me want to play again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I've not made it to the first boss. I'm still getting walloped by whatever level of monsters are above minions. Guys with guns. Guys with swords that block everything...evil tree mages. My Hellgate: London comparison was (I think) because of my impression it is a bit randomized. I've died enough times that when I come back the enemies aren't 100% identical nor are they in the same exact spot. I like that. I'm trying to get my mind around the gear upgrading and apparently how you can look at your character and know if you're geared to the right level based on some icons. There was also some discussion over how each area is "spawned" based on your gear level so there's some strategy in when you increase weapon in armor strength. It's all very interesting - not overwhelming crunchy with the numbers but there's enough there to make me want to see more.

What I didn't realize was that right in the first area outside of the base you start in, you get a key card. I thought it was for something happening in the future, but apparently I was supposed to remember areas from the base I couldn't get to and then return and use the key card there. I think I just need to spend more time with it, likely daily so I never get rusty.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On yeah, that was a big thing. Level up your gear evenly. Don't just jump your gun up to level 5. Level everything to 2, then everything to 3 and on. Later on you may want to hold off on leveling stuff until you can level your whole kit. I didn't work out exactly how the spawning worked even playing playing through the whole thing 4+ times, but it's pretty close to your average equipment score rounded up + 1 for the level of the enemies. It's the rounding up you want to avoid. I seem to recall indicators in the bottom left corner of the map or character screen indicating your gear level relative to the map level for offense and defense.

Yeah I think you can get the SMG in the base early if you know what you are doing. The SMG is nice but it gets replaced pretty quickly by a boss weapon. There are a bunch of things that are coming back to mind now that I could tell you but I wouldn't want to spoil the fun. :twisted:

Note: I played a lot fo Hellgate: London the first time around. I remember literally nothing of it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I might need to restart as I did dump a whole bunch into leveling my main gun and nothing else. It's a coach gun and I actually don't like it. But now it's a sunken cost. I have been messing more with the pistol and gear-head wrench in melee; I like that they feel viable (against minions). The base has the SMG and there's also a trait somewhere inside that's apparently necessary (Elder Knowledge).

I think what's throwing me is the idea that you manually increase gear. It plays like a loot-dropper, but you're not finding better gear, just resources to make your existing gear better (or to buy better gear). That's not bad, I'm just not used to that.

I think I only played Hellgate London for 5-10 hours, max. I remember it feeling like a game that wasn't finished.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

From time to time you do find gear, but like 6-8 times in the entire game and generally gated behind a puzzle of some sort.

I actually used the coach gun for most of my first playthrough. It would be nice if it had more ammo. 2 rounds is NOT enough, but it had some serious punch. My son was doing sniper so I was the tank and the coach gun was pretty good for close work.

I don't know that you need to bother restarting, you can just grind the opening areas a bit for the mats to upgrade your chosen armor set. You might score a few skill points (or whatever they are called) along the way and enemies don't get to scale with your skills.
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:16 am Guys with swords that block everything...evil tree mages.
Bait the sword guys, roll back and blast em in the face. On their own they are pretty easy. It's the pack of rolly guys that are generally surrounding them that make it a pain. Be glad you got the sword guy and not the minigun guy. He was my first "elite" enemy and holy hell I almost rage deleted the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did see that tip and I also learned when they climb obstacles they're vulnerable. So if you can get them into a room or area where they need to traverse low walls to get to you, you just bait them back and forth over it and blast them when they try.

I like the coach gun for the damage, but yeah, 2 shots is a problem - particularly when you need to account for rolling around like a monkey. Apparently I'm supposed to practice reloading while rolling but it hasn't come quite naturally yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Made it to the first boss (The Shroud) and was actually feeling like things were finally coming together a bit with all the minions and slightly tougher enemies. I think I lasted 5 seconds with the boss? So yeah. That was...something. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

5 seconds seems a little low. You should have made it to the first set of explosions which should have taken a bit longer... but yeah, the game never lets you get comfortable. Well, you may get comfortable for a moment, but that just means the game is getting ready to crush you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think I was expecting full-on aggression as the opening move; apparently I shouldn't have been standing still. I was hit with explosions and then swarmed by angry tree man. It was...interesting. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Picked this up finally. Seems like it would be a lot more fun multiplayer.

Give me a shout (here or on steam) if you want to give it a go.