Wolfenstein: Youngblood

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Post by coopasonic »

I can't remember how this came across my plate. I kind of loathed Wolfenstein: The New Order. Steam says I played it for 1.1 hours. Youngblood appears to be significantly different. A *little* more open world and kind of RPG-ish, but the driving factor is the two player co-op gameplay. You play as the twin daughters of who I guess was the protagonist in the prior games (seriously, no idea).

As I have mentioned a bunch of times, I play a lot of co-op games with my 13yo son and this seemed like a pretty good fit. We have played through the first couple of areas and are having a lot of fun with it. The gameplay is pretty much straight FPS. You scour the levels for money to use to upgrade your guns. You level up your character and complete side missions for skill points to buy new perks and abilities. There are collectibles. There is some verticality so you really need to look around to find the hidden paths and how to proceed and get all the loot.

The big selling point for was the price. $30 for the game of $40 for the deluxe edition which includes a Buddy Pass. Basically you can invite people that haven't bought the game to play co-op with you (they download the "demo"). That's a pretty cool set up. Oh, also the loot is instanced so my son doesn't get to steal all of the good stuff. Note there isn't really good stuff, this isn't a Borderlands game, you are mostly picking up ammo, health, grenades, armor, etc.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Re: Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, I am always on the lookout for co-op I can play with my son.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 pm Sweet, I am always on the lookout for co-op I can play with my son.
As long as you are OK with blood and F-bombs. There is some strong language in there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished off the final boss fight last night. The difficulty on that was brutal relative to the rest of the game.

Oddly enough, the second-most difficult boss was at the very beginning of the game.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 am I finished off the final boss fight last night. The difficulty on that was brutal relative to the rest of the game.

Oddly enough, the second-most difficult boss was at the very beginning of the game.
Did you play it 100% with the AI? I just finished my co-op play-through with my 13yo and we had a lot of fun, including the categorization of the bosses and I think those were really the only two bosses in the game so having them be the two hardest makes sense.

We were level 41 and 42 at the end and the final boss was skull and the second phase took a few tries to get through. We only did 40% of the side missions. I am curious if your run was more complete and if he was still skull level for you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I was playing solo with the AI partner. I had done all the available side missions first, so I was about level 60ish when I ran it. Lothar was skull difficulty, but I believe that is dynamic so no matter what level you are he will be a skull.

I replayed the mission this morning, just to see if I had learned anything since the first go-round and I was able to beat it on normal difficulty without burning a shared life. If there is any one thing that made a difference, it was figuring out how to cope with his air support, although it obviously doesn't hurt that my character is more fully developed now, since I continued playing past the final mission (for some reason, smashing Nazis isn't getting old for me at the moment).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... for someone who has played the others but would only ever play this solo, do you recommend it? Been planning on passing if it really needed two peoples.
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I enjoy playing it solo. The AI partner isn't super smart, but it gets the job done. I preferred the stories in New Order and New Colossus, but a weaker narrative is pretty much baked into the nonlinear mission design; there's a beginning and an end, but everything in the middle can be done in whatever order and at whatever pace you choose.