Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Post by coopasonic »

https://ancestorsgame.com/en/

This game is 100% wtf. You basically have to figure everything out and I am not sure why I even bought it (except I have nothing on my plate until BL3), but it is... interesting. Reviews seem to call it brilliant and a repetitive grind and even after just an hour of playing around with it, I can't argue. I got it for around $32 with a voucher on green man, sticker is $40. It's just... interesting. I don't know how else to describe it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Re: Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Post by Kraken »

Looks interesting.

Do your actions and choices shape your evolution, or do you "win" by becoming brainy tool-using homo saps?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Supposedly there are differing paths depending on the kinds of activities you prioritize, but I am way too early in the game to have much sense of that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I was about to post about this as well. I started out curious about it, watched a gameplay video, and a read a couple of reviews. I was about to write it off, but after watching the gameplay for a little longer it suddenly seemed like it had some interesting mechanics and might be worth a look, plus I think it hits me in the nostalgia by reminding me of those old Apple games I played in elementary school where you had to pick an animal and survive.

I've only played an hour or so and have only really explored a bit with my first ape, and so far it's very out there compared to other games I've played, but I'm liking it, and I'd compare it to a much, much, much more fleshed out and realistic version of the creature level from Spore. Admittedly one where you only get to play a primitive ape creature.

Right now my goal is basically to explore the environment, stimulate the growth of various nuerons by learning about things in the environment and interacting with them. Have figured out a little of the interactions with my clan, but haven't managed to breed or anything yet.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Not a big fan of the climbing controls of this so far. It was apparently developed by one of the Assassin's Creed 1 devs, but it must have been the one responsible for it having crappy controls until AC 3 or so.

Lots of grabbing the wrong branches and falling when I don't intend to. It's also not always clear when something is a branch you can walk on, and a collection of leaves you can't.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is the breeding interactive?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

You lay down on your bed of leaves, call for your mate, and then it does a tasteful pan up while they get it on below. Seems like the strategy is to load yourself up on as many young as you can while your females are fertile, and then do whatever you have to do to advance to the next generation.

It's all pretty fun so far. There's a fairly fun meta of progressing the tribe in the long term while exploring and trying to survive in the short term with each generation.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I spent the entire weekend playing Diablo 3, that tells you how exciting I found Ancestors to be. I figured some stuff out that makes it look like I wasted a *lot* of time on the first generation and that took the wind out of my sails.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

The game is $ 4.99 after the coupon at Epic store. Is this game worth that price?
morlac

Post by morlac »

You look like you need a monkey.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

morlac wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 am You look like you need a monkey.
:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.