Encased...sci-fi post apoc rpg

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Encased...sci-fi post apoc rpg

Post by Daehawk »

Reminds me of the first two Fallouts. I mean the travel map looks like a copy.

Steam

For those that dont want to look on Steam......

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Re: Encased...sci-fi post apoc rpg

Post by Grifman »

This looks interesting but they've got a lot of content to add - only the prologue is ready now.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

So, the game is out now, after a long rough development process. I know a couple of OO'ers have bought the game so I'd be interesting in reading any early impressions as I am interested in this game.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I was able to play a tiny bit over the weekend. I'm not even through the tutorial yet, partly due to limited time, and partially because there is a lot to digest.
I used a pre-gen character then modified her to basically create Lambert from the first Alien movie. A blue collar, egineer type who isn't much of a fighter. My Lambert also has latent psionic abilites.

So far, I like it. Seems to have a lot of style and even minor characters are fleshed out beyond 'generic shopkeeper'.
Fallout 1&2 are very good comparisons, along with a dollop of Aperture Science/Black Mesa type world building.

I'll update with some more impressions after I get through a bit more gameplay.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This game has a very slow start.
Lots and lots of dialogue and text, much of it referencing in universe places and concepts that aren't fully explained.
Which is kind of how the game is in general. From pretty early on it just throws a ton of stuff at you and let's you sort through it and decide what to actually use. I actually had to restart because of this. I was trying to do it all, and ended up spreading my skills/stats too thin effectively making it so I couldn't do any of it. With a more focused character, I'm now past the tutorial and the prologue and it's got it's hooks in me. My biggest problem is I pick up everything that isn't nailed down and my character is not really strong enough to carry it all. I take a stat hit, and move slightly slower, but I can't let any of it go. Who knows, maybe flower pot dirt is going to be really useful? Hopefully I get some sort of base of operations soon where I can stash this junk.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Thanks for the impressions.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Update;
I'm now into what I believe is the main quest of the game... and my impressions are dropping rapidly. I see what this game is trying to do, but it just keeps falling short. Quests aren't clear and everything past Act 1 just seems unfinished or underdeveloped.

Example; I've been sent to a mysterious cave that turns out to be inhabited by a cannibal gang. Not entirely original, but okay. After disabling the generator to power the defense turrets, I am able to sneak back to the meat cages, where I see two wretches standing in their skivvies. There is a zip line nearby which conveniently heads straight for the exit. That's good, because there are too many cannibals for me to fight on my own, so I pick the lock and get ready to head for the exit. Except that doesn't happen, the two dummies in their undies decide to start a fight with their former captors, drawing me into the conflict as well. They land a few punches but are quickly cut down by automatic weapons fire and some high tech sawblade shooter. Surely, I've missed something, so I reload. Everything I try, same result. The only option seems to be kill all the cannibals first if I want any hope of doing this mission. I could slowly pick off the loners to even the odds, but it's just tedious.

There is potential here, but unless they fix some of the half baked mechanics and flesh out the quests, your time is better spent elsewhere.
I suggest Wasteland 3 or go wrestle with the old interface of the original Fallouts.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I hear your complaints, but this can't be walked back: "Fallout 1&2 are very good comparisons"

You perhaps unwittingly unlocked my "insta-buy" passphrase.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Despite my frustrations, I am still playing.