Code Vein

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Code Vein

Post by Jaddison »

Anyone playing this? I just got this last night and have cool 1.1 hours playing.

The customization for a character goes all the way down to design of the pupils of the eyes.....which isn't a big draw for me but the amount of customization is beyond anything I have seen.

Says this is souls-like which is not a familiar genre to me and it will take a lot of dying to get used to the controls.

Mouse and keyboard for me.

If anyone is interested I will update from time to time as I slowly work through this. I am also doing my first full playthrough of Borderlands (yes the first one)- which is going to go much better than Code Vein where I might set a record for dying.
coopasonic

Re: Code Vein

Post by coopasonic »

Jaddison wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 am If anyone is interested I will update from time to time as I slowly work through this. I am also doing my first full playthrough of Borderlands (yes the first one)- which is going to go much better than Code Vein where I might set a record for dying.
It has been 3.5 months, where are those updates? My son is interested in playing this since we had so much fun with Remnant. I played the demo yesterday and thought it was ok, but wasn't really too excited by it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:05 pm
Jaddison wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 am If anyone is interested I will update from time to time as I slowly work through this. I am also doing my first full playthrough of Borderlands (yes the first one)- which is going to go much better than Code Vein where I might set a record for dying.
It has been 3.5 months, where are those updates? My son is interested in playing this since we had so much fun with Remnant. I played the demo yesterday and thought it was ok, but wasn't really too excited by it.
I don't know but I sucked so bad at it I stopped until I either find the Fountain of Youth or I am no longer mentally able to discern I suck
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just finished it.

It's pretty clearly the easiest Souls-like I've ever played. They are very generous with haze (souls/xp), save points and upgrade materials. The bosses are, for the most part, pretty easy just to face tank. The story exists which makes it better than the actual Souls games. :) It's actually not bad at all. I had fun with it.

The ability to switch blood codes (classes) at any time and to take a mix of abilities from many different classes is very cool and pretty unique in my experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

saw this recently for almost $6, might check it out for that price when it goes down to that again
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played this for about 10 hours over the last couple of days and I don't think I'll finish it. I got to the area that is a white city with spires. The game is simply way too easy for a Souls type game. The combat lacks any sort of finesse or strategy almost every single enemy can simply be tanked with the rare dodge thrown in. At this point I have died exactly once from enemy attacks, but I have died several times from accidental falls. There really is no sense of danger in this game.

The game world is also fairly generic and uninteresting. About the only thing it has going for it over a proper Souls game is that it has a somewhat coherent story. That's about it.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am I played this for about 10 hours over the last couple of days and I don't think I'll finish it. I got to the area that is a white city with spires. The game is simply way too easy for a Souls type game. The combat lacks any sort of finesse or strategy almost every single enemy can simply be tanked with the rare dodge thrown in. At this point I have died exactly once from enemy attacks, but I have died several times from accidental falls. There really is no sense of danger in this game.

The game world is also fairly generic and uninteresting. About the only thing it has going for it over a proper Souls game is that it has a somewhat coherent story. That's about it.
Thanks. I had been on the fence, but this actually nudged me towards installing it this morning.

The fact that I can go up against cool anime bosses with a decent story without having to die a bazillion times and bash my head up against insane difficulty is a huge plus in my book. Will definitely give it a look as a filler until the new SW game comes out in a couple weeks.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:07 am
Scraper wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am I played this for about 10 hours over the last couple of days and I don't think I'll finish it. I got to the area that is a white city with spires. The game is simply way too easy for a Souls type game. The combat lacks any sort of finesse or strategy almost every single enemy can simply be tanked with the rare dodge thrown in. At this point I have died exactly once from enemy attacks, but I have died several times from accidental falls. There really is no sense of danger in this game.

Thanks. I had been on the fence, but this actually nudged me towards installing it this morning.

The fact that I can go up against cool anime bosses with a decent story without having to die a bazillion times and bash my head up against insane difficulty is a huge plus in my book. Will definitely give it a look as a filler until the new SW game comes out in a couple weeks.
Yep plus it's on both Gamepass and PS Plus upper tiers for free. If you're having problems with combat then chances are you aren't dodging enough. Simply circling behind most enemies is enough to get the upper hand (bosses included). Exploring each area also helps because there are permanent healing upgrades hidden in each area.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I suspect Skiny is going to find that Scraper's idea of easy is not entirely lined up with his own. Scraper had a much easier time than I did with Wo Long and I love and play all the Souls-likes. Code Vein is definitely the easiest I've played, but that doesn't make it easy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:18 am I suspect Skiny is going to find that Scraper's idea of easy is not entirely lined up with his own. Scraper had a much easier time than I did with Wo Long and I love and play all the Souls-likes. Code Vein is definitely the easiest I've played, but that doesn't make it easy.
Oh, I fully expect this to be the case. It's still a "Souls-like" game, after all. I have PS+ so I don't have to spend anything to try this. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother.

"Easy" for you guys is vastly different than "Easy" for me.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:42 am
coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:18 am I suspect Skiny is going to find that Scraper's idea of easy is not entirely lined up with his own. Scraper had a much easier time than I did with Wo Long and I love and play all the Souls-likes. Code Vein is definitely the easiest I've played, but that doesn't make it easy.
Oh, I fully expect this to be the case. It's still a "Souls-like" game, after all. I have PS+ so I don't have to spend anything to try this. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother.

"Easy" for you guys is vastly different than "Easy" for me.
You're probably right Coop, but even I will admit that my skills are diminishing now that I'm in my late 40s. The pinnacle of skill for me came in the late 80s when I beat the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES without being hit once. Since then it's been a steady downhill climb in my skills. I also managed to get a high score published in Nintendo Power magazine for Galaga. I guarantee I would suck at both of those games now.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if you feel this way (unless you're already doing this) you're supposed to leave your AI companion behind at the hub and solo everything yourself - the difficulty will spike significantly.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh yeah…definitely still not my jam.

Died 8 times before reaching the first checkpoint past the tutorial.

Uninstalled. :lol:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:33 pm Oh yeah…definitely still not my jam.

This blows my mind. Did you literally just stand in front of the bad guys and let them hit you? There is no other explanation.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:07 am

This blows my mind. Did you literally just stand in front of the bad guys and let them hit you? There is no other explanation.
Maybe I missed something, because I spawned into the very first area then ran through what felt like a pretty lengthy segment going up against 15-20 enemies before seeing another camp (?) point. It was a good 20-30 minutes, at least.

Granted, I'm generally terrible in combat in these sort of games, but there were multiple times when I was getting attacked by 3-4 mobs who took me from full health to dead in about 10 seconds, even as I was trying to dodge and block.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:28 am
Scraper wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:07 am

Maybe I missed something, because I spawned into the very first area then ran through what felt like a pretty lengthy segment going up against 15-20 enemies before seeing another camp (?) point. It was a good 20-30 minutes, at least.

Granted, I'm generally terrible in combat in these sort of games, but there were multiple times when I was getting attacked by 3-4 mobs who took me from full health to dead in about 10 seconds, even as I was trying to dodge and block.

The way you describe it I think you did miss a save spot. There should be one near the entrance to the cave and then the caves loops around back to the save spot, you have to unlock the short cut though. I don't remember it being that long to unlock the short cut though. But yeah if you're struggling that bad with the opening area then these types of games aren't for you.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:13 am The way you describe it I think you did miss a save spot. There should be one near the entrance to the cave and then the caves loops around back to the save spot, you have to unlock the short cut though. I don't remember it being that long to unlock the short cut though. But yeah if you're struggling that bad with the opening area then these types of games aren't for you.
For sure. The only one that has even sort of clicked for me was Elden Ring, and that was because there were plenty of wide open spaces to fight in. As soon as I get into cramped, confined hallways, forget it.

In fact, the first castle where I had to run through the twisting and turning hallways was my "quit point" in Elden Ring as well.