Everquest Project 1999...free

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Everquest Project 1999...free

Post by Daehawk »

Stolen from Blues Clues News. Like WoW Classic but Everquest.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/205068/reli ... 1999-green
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Baroquen

Re: Everquest Project 1999...free

Post by Baroquen »

While I was late to the Everquest party, I did play it back in the day. And saw lots of QoL changes over the years. I'm not sure I could go back to basics like this. But I'm sure it's nostalgic enough for some.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yup that was my first big online game and gave me some great memories and forever friends, but I don't think I could bring myself to suffer through that again. A lot has changed in gaming in 20 years and some of it is even good!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I played this for a couple years. Knowing what I now know, I was able to solo up to level 50.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This sounds like pure misery.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:51 pm This sounds like pure misery.
I installed it out of curiosity and you are right. My god the graphics and controls.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd enjoy the opportunity to wander around the Greater Faydark again, get lost in the fog, hear the music and the skeletons laughing, maybe zone and get killed by D'Vinn, take a boat and glance at the Desert of Ro. I can't imagine actually playing it, though. It was pure grind, with huge amounts of downtime (healing, regaining mana, real-time boat trips), and with deaths beyond your control that could suddenly remove a week's worth of progress. I absolutely adored it in 1999 and 2000, but can't see myself wanting to dedicate the time required in what was, honestly, tedious gameplay.

WoW took it too far in the other direction (you almost have to try to fail there), but there are happy mediums.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I tried EQ several years ago *after* they had made some graphics and UI enhancements, and it was so god-awful I lasted all of 20 minutes. I can't imagine going back to an even more primitive version.

Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely enamored with EQ. I suffered through the atrocious launch and played for years. It's still the MMO I have the most fond memories of and spent the greatest amount of time with. But sometimes you can't go back home.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

So who's camping Lower Guk?

I played the original far too long. I think even if they adjusted spawn rates and resting times to today's "standards" I wouldn't want to play it again.

For all I played, I rank my greatest achievement getting a L5 Troll all the way from their starting area and to Crushbone, where I farmed faction until I could climb the elevators into Kelethin. After that, it was newbie elves falling out of the trees trying to avoid me, thinking I was some kind of PvP monster who was invading. I never could use the banker, but the rest was a hoot.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

My biggest gaming highs came from EQ. There was nothing like a close call because knowing that you have to retrieve your body at 2:00am when you have to work in the morning is really, really terrible. Barely zoning in time was orgasmic.

There is zero chance that I would give this another try.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 am So who's camping Lower Guk?

I played the original far too long. I think even if they adjusted spawn rates and resting times to today's "standards" I wouldn't want to play it again.

For all I played, I rank my greatest achievement getting a L5 Troll all the way from their starting area and to Crushbone, where I farmed faction until I could climb the elevators into Kelethin. After that, it was newbie elves falling out of the trees trying to avoid me, thinking I was some kind of PvP monster who was invading. I never could use the banker, but the rest was a hoot.
Yeah, I made that same journey with my Iksar monk and got bound in Kelethin. When I had to train I would strip off all my gear, hitch a ride to Firiona Vie and do a feign death flop run back to Cabilis. Then I would drown and do a death teleport back to my bind point.

Later I found I could get enough Crushbone faction for my Iksar warrior that I could actually train in Kelethin. Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

nothing like being a cleric simply doing your job keeping your squad a alive only to get massively aggrod, and have to run from the train of undead to zone out.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
morlac

Post by morlac »

This server/thing has been around for awhile. They also have official "progressive" classic servers that unlock expansions either via a timer or in game achievements. I tried it out a year (or 2?) ago and had enough fun to take a couple guys to mid 20's before I got annoyed more than the rose tinted glasses allowed. They have been doing this for a quite a few years before WOW invented it.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Against my better judgement I have decided to give it a shot on the Teal server (they appear to have opened a second green server due to demand).

I really enjoyed the main progression servers and the new QoL features they have, but I am still tempted to give it a try when it was tougher and see how I can do. Plus, this server actually appears to enforce a play nice policy with no kill stealing or camp stealing so that sounds promising. The new progression servers have developed into a DPS race wins all camps and arguments and that isn't always fun either.

I may not last long, but will be poking around on my new Dark Elf Enchanter if anyone is interested in hanging out.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'd be tempted to join you, but My EQ disc are in storage and the install process is beyond impulse easy :).

Though I am going to drop of Halloween stuff to storage today... and a Shaman/Druid + Enchanter combo could be awesome.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I was playing primarily on the red server since low population. The blue servers were so crowded it turned into elf lawyers adjudicating spawn camping order. Red was good for soloing, and I liked how you could auction over the whole server. But every time we tried a guild run on high end content it devolved into a massive pvp battle. Got old after a while.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

morlac wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:09 pm I'd be tempted to join you, but My EQ disc are in storage and the install process is beyond impulse easy :).

Though I am going to drop of Halloween stuff to storage today... and a Shaman/Druid + Enchanter combo could be awesome.
Does it really require you to use a disc to install? That IS old school.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It requires Everquest Titanium Edition. But you can download it at places online.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:21 pm I was playing primarily on the red server since low population. The blue servers were so crowded it turned into elf lawyers adjudicating spawn camping order. Red was good for soloing, and I liked how you could auction over the whole server. But every time we tried a guild run on high end content it devolved into a massive pvp battle. Got old after a while.
Yeah, it does sound like it gets a little complicated and political at high levels, but that is okay for me. I was never into the high end raiding anyway and don't anticipate wanting that now either, especially with my real life commitments. My wife and I are looking for something to take some time on and we have always enjoyed leveling in EQ for some reason.

Fortunately I actually purchased the Titanium Edition way back when I set up a new account so I have the images saved off and it makes for a pretty quick install now.

Oh, and made it up to level 6 and 18 in tailoring! :). The little things like finding a skeleton carrying a cracked staff and instantly being able to buy a bunch of newbie spells never gets old! Well, for some of us anyway ;). Now I need to make the trek to High Keep to see if I can buy my next pet spells...