Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

WYBaugh

Re: WoW Expansion - Shadowlands

Post by WYBaugh »

Cracks me up every time I hear "maw walker"...mall walker
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Zuldazar got us all the way from level 10 to 37. :shock: Not outleveling content was always impossible, but this is nuts. I like that everything scales so that you can see the story at your own pace if you want to, but I dislike that I can't use quest levels as a guide for where to go anymore. Quest rewards feel very generic, as it's often just a scaled amount of gold or class-appropriate green item. The new zones are very pretty and well designed, but the leveling process sure hasn't evolved much. (Not that it necessarily needs to.)

Did the first instance, Atal'Dazar. No deaths, but it was not a cakewalk to heal. This is presuming the other three players had done it many times, and Mrs. Nym and I were the only newbies. We looked up the battles ahead of time, too. But it was obviously wasn't designed for early leveling content, even though I'm sure the scaling addresses most discrepancies. Hard for me to say whether having more healing abilities/talents unlocked would have made a major difference. But it made me sweat the same as a heroic from back in the day. But obviously, I'm still re-learning the ropes as well.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

WYBaugh wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:19 pm Cracks me up every time I hear "maw walker"...mall walker
Not only mall walker, but you collect enema.

I'm loving Shadowlands. Torghast is the best thing to come to WoW in ages, though I can see if you're soloing the randomness could be frustrating.

I loved the story, and yes, you can do the threads of fate. While it might not be as fast as storyline leveling, it seems close, especially since you don't have to do each zone independently. Once you turn in the zone starter quest you can go back to Oribos and pick up another zone. So, just doing the world quests you like makes it more fun. Or if you're using gatherer alts, go to the zone you need. There's plenty of side quests to round it out.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I play solo and don't know what it is about Shadowlands but I really do not like it. It was a quick rush to 60 and now it's the largest grind that they've introduced so far.

I'm a ret pally and am soft (spongy?), I'm ilevel 148 and get my ass handed to me with only two mobs. I'm slow on dps so world quests just take forever. At the moment I really feel like putting it aside and pick it back up in a few months and see if my attitude changes.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

WYBaugh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:44 pm I play solo and don't know what it is about Shadowlands but I really do not like it. It was a quick rush to 60 and now it's the largest grind that they've introduced so far.

I'm a ret pally and am soft (spongy?), I'm ilevel 148 and get my ass handed to me with only two mobs. I'm slow on dps so world quests just take forever. At the moment I really feel like putting it aside and pick it back up in a few months and see if my attitude changes.
Same here. Felt way too hard as my favorite class and spec, Frost mage.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Mrs. Nym and I will be entering Shadowlands very soon, I'm curious to see. We're likely to hit 50 from just the first two Horde BfA zones on our new characters. That seems crazy. We only did one instance, and mining/herbing that we came across while questing. Our first time playing BfA, I'm enjoying the story more than I thought it would, even though we're only paying half attention. I'm definitely trolled out though.

Duoing has been a laughable cakewalk, though I'm pretty sure that's been the case since at least WotLK. I got so bored of being her hunter's dedicated shaman healer that I specced elementalist, but it just makes me feel like I should be plating mage. (That hunters are so self sufficient is probably part of the problem... we're essentially a trio.) I find it annoying to have the elemental pets on cooldown... I want to save them for when I need them most, but you're not playing to your full potential unless you use them as much as possible. But I get that they didn't want to have another class with permanent pets.

Still haven't found a guild. She's wary of Grievance... seems like too big of a social commitment for her anxiety. Which I understand, considering they like to conduct new member orientation over voice chat.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Other than the initial 'orientation', I don't think I've voice chatted once with them, and I've been a member at least six or seven years. It's just having someone friendly in the chat window.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I'm making that argument... he social anxiety has just been so bad recently, and Covid hasn't helped. I've suggested I could be on mic and she could just listen in the background. Though we may just decide we want to join a smaller social guild anyway.

Finally hit 50 at around 2 days, 4 hours /played. We're slowbies, but that's without much dilly-dallying... I barely touched the auction house. We want to delve into Shadowlands, but have already been mulling rolling new characters. I'm just not in love with Shaman, restoration nor elemental. Though we've done hardly any instances, and the introductory BfA one we did do scared the heck out of me as it felt like healing a Cata heroic and I'm quite out of practice (managed not to let anyone die though).

We've also reached the stage of the game where I've decided it's time to customize my interface. Half the time this is when I quit because I just get so overwhelmed. I spent most of the morning browsing ElvUI layouts but couldn't find one I like. After watching some tutorials it shouldn't be too hard to design what I want, but there are just so many options... it's like having to learn a suite of software. I miss the other MMOs that allow limited customization or are just designed well enough to support advanced play already. Modern WoW does a great job of introducing you to the game, but beyond that you still seem to be expected to do heavy external research if you want to be successfull to other people's standards.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

For combat specifically, I only use Threat Plates for nameplates, SCT (Scrolling Combat Text) + SCTD (+Damage) for on-screen numbers, DeadlyBossMods, and Healbot for my healers. I have a few characters with certain DPS specs where I have to use Weak Auras to keep track of cooldowns and maintain any semblance of a rotation (all rogues, enh shaman, balance druid, to a lesser degree warlocks). But I get those from wago.io and strip them of all but the bare minimum of icons that I need, and I'm usually good for a full expansion.

For a number of years, I played WoW on 2-3 computers, and having to maintain addons on all of them was ridiculous, so I never bothered with ElvUI or anything else that was highly customizable and prone to break with every major patch. Sure, I haven't raided with an actual guild in several expacs, but it was enough even when I did. It's certainly more than enough for group finder or any other casual group content.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't look at me. I run 70+ addons. Part of that is because I don't like all-in-ones (ElvUI, Carbonite, etc), as I find they all tend to change some things in ways I don't like. I prefer to modify each element individually.

One thing I did recently was to finally get rid of all combat text (I used Parrot, but had used Scrolling Combat Text in the past.) The reason was that it was extra information that I realized I never paid attention to. Yeah, it's nice to see that big crit pop up now and then, but with everything going on in a fight, it was information that I didn't need and never actually did anything with. And all it really did was add clutter to the HUD, especially given that I use Weak Auras for cooldowns.
persself

Post by persself »

Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 am Mrs. Nym and I will be entering Shadowlands very soon, I'm curious to see. We're likely to hit 50 from just the first two Horde BfA zones on our new characters. That seems crazy. We only did one instance, and mining/herbing that we came across while questing. Our first time playing BfA, I'm enjoying the story more than I thought it would, even though we're only paying half attention. I'm definitely trolled out though.

Duoing has been a laughable cakewalk, though I'm pretty sure that's been the case since at least WotLK. I got so bored of being her hunter's dedicated shaman healer that I specced elementalist, but it just makes me feel like I should be plating mage. (That hunters are so self sufficient is probably part of the problem... we're essentially a trio.) I find it annoying to have the elemental pets on cooldown... I want to save them for when I need them most, but you're not playing to your full potential unless you use them as much as possible. But I get that they didn't want to have another class with permanent pets.

Still haven't found a guild. She's wary of Grievance... seems like too big of a social commitment for her anxiety. Which I understand, considering they like to conduct new member orientation over voice chat.
I have not played since year's end 2005. I did check to see my vanilla WoW is downloadable via battle.net.
Was burned very badly (and stupidly, I might add) in the game playing with a so called "friend" (friend in game only).
I'm sure my alts are long gone, but I have felt the urge more and more to play. From the aforementioned inferior "friend" experience,
I would only consider playing again with OO members. And being female, maybe Mrs. Nym would oblige? So, what server, etc. should I start...
IF I even decide to try all over again with the Shadowlands bought/installed?? As I recall, I had fun with a Tauren? Been so long, I don't quite remember that!
Hey, I'm 61 years old...deal with it. :D
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First off, I don't think WoW has ever had a character purge, so unless someone intentionally deleted them, they're likely still there. There have been a couple of name purges, however (they 'free up' names that haven't been logged in for X years), so if your characters are still there, they may be flagged for a rename (I believe you'd receive a request to rename them on login.)

The good news is that you likely own every expansion except for Shadowlands now (they're added to Vanilla for free.) And you can likely log in to your account and look at what you have, even log in with a low-level character, for free.
persself

Post by persself »

Thank you, Blackhawk!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

persself wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 am Mrs. Nym and I will be entering Shadowlands very soon, I'm curious to see. We're likely to hit 50 from just the first two Horde BfA zones on our new characters. That seems crazy. We only did one instance, and mining/herbing that we came across while questing. Our first time playing BfA, I'm enjoying the story more than I thought it would, even though we're only paying half attention. I'm definitely trolled out though.

I have not played since year's end 2005. I did check to see my vanilla WoW is downloadable via battle.net.
Was burned very badly (and stupidly, I might add) in the game playing with a so called "friend" (friend in game only).
I'm sure my alts are long gone, but I have felt the urge more and more to play. From the aforementioned inferior "friend" experience,
I would only consider playing again with OO members. And being female, maybe Mrs. Nym would oblige? So, what server, etc. should I start...
IF I even decide to try all over again with the Shadowlands bought/installed?? As I recall, I had fun with a Tauren? Been so long, I don't quite remember that!
If you want a safe environment to poke around, you can join the Wanderers on Horde A-52. I think there's all of 5 "regulars" ... and that might be a stretch, but there's 2 ladies and eventually I think my daughter will be back.

It will at least keep the random guild invites down. Just PM me if you need an invite and I can log in real quick.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Sorry I haven't had the chance to write a proper reply... but I'd suggest taking ND up on his offer. Mrs. Nym and I haven't settled on a guild home yet, and with her social anxiety I can't promise she'd be responsive all of the time.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm Sorry I haven't had the chance to write a proper reply... but I'd suggest taking ND up on his offer. Mrs. Nym and I haven't settled on a guild home yet, and with her social anxiety I can't promise she'd be responsive all of the time.
Join us!
Black Lives Matter

persself

Post by persself »

noxiousdog wrote:
persself wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:18 pm

If you want a safe environment to poke around, you can join the Wanderers on Horde A-52. I think there's all of 5 "regulars" ... and that might be a stretch, but there's 2 ladies and eventually I think my daughter will be back.

It will at least keep the random guild invites down. Just PM me if you need an invite and I can log in real quick.
Thanks. I will give you a shout once I decide to join again (in the game).

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 pm Sorry I haven't had the chance to write a proper reply... but I'd suggest taking ND up on his offer. Mrs. Nym and I haven't settled on a guild home yet, and with her social anxiety I can't promise she'd be responsive all of the time.
Join us!
It might come to that. :P But probably not yet... we have (small) roots on Thrall now and have already begun unlocking the allied races.

WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Felt I needed to check back in. I got my sh$% together and am more comfortable with Shadowlands. My ilevel is now 176 and I'm not getting punked by every mob. Moving along with the covenant, etc.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not yet sure if I'm going to resub, but if I do I'll probably be rerolling.

Who's currently playing? What's your guild situation (and faction), and are the interested in taking in a lowbie who has a 99% chance of not lasting more than a week? For starters I'd just enjoy the background chatter of guild chat.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I rolled a NE DH on Whisperwind (Alliance) after consulting with noxiousdog--that's where his crew landed. I probably won't stick around, but I want to try DH for the first time.

I'm also interested in giving Classic another go, but only if Mrs. Nym joins me and I haven't been able to entice her so far. At least in classic duoing would feel more relevant.

Jag

Post by Jag »

Sudy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm I rolled a NE DH on Whisperwind (Alliance) after consulting with noxiousdog--that's where his crew landed. I probably won't stick around, but I want to try DH for the first time.

I'm also interested in giving Classic another go, but only if Mrs. Nym joins me and I haven't been able to entice her so far. At least in classic duoing would feel more relevant.
I'm also Alliance on Whisperwind. Let me know if you need any help or even gold. I really have so much to spare. I'm the last remaining guild member in Exile (which was Eternal Legacy and Almost Heroes before that), so you can just look up the guild and it will be me on one of my 12 alts :D
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thanks!

Actually wound up playing Classic, now TBC Classic, on Mankrik (Horde) and found a decent group to play with. But I'm sure we'll give Retail another go at some point as well.