Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Re: Wasteland 3 - May 19, 2020

Post by Z-Corn »

Jesus Christ, I thought we as a society had moved past the practice of covering old songs with breathy slowed-down-girl vocals.

I'll play the game though.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I was thinking it was a candidate for the other thread because of the song. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

And it is legit the worst Genesis song written.

Change my mind.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm And it is legit the worst Genesis song written.

Change my mind.

Back on topic, the trailer looks good, but I do hope that the game is a bit more stable than the last one was for me. Both the OG and the DC versions crashed so much that I never have been able to finish the game.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
morlac

Post by morlac »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm And it is legit the worst Genesis song written.

Change my mind.
I dunno seemed a fairly appropriate song and was from the right era. Watch the creepy ass old video and it even makes more sense, Wait for the end...

Edit to add: After listening to it a few times now it is even more appropriate now. I think the lyrics are pretty solid and timeless.

And I am in on Wasteland 3.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

morlac wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:58 am

Change my mind.
Watch the creepy ass old video and it even makes more sense, Wait for the end...
Nope, not gonna. I remember it well from the first time around. Just a terrible album overall. I even saw them on this tour too.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Steam now showing this with a May 19, 2020 release date. Nice timing with Wasteland Remastered just being released (Feb25) to whet one's whistle, should one's whistle benefit from whetting.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Jolor wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:12 pm Steam now showing this with a May 19, 2020 release date. Nice timing with Wasteland Remastered just being released (Feb25) to whet one's whistle, should one's whistle benefit from whetting.
Sorry, not really adding anything to this conversation other than finding it interesting that you added an "h" to "wet". Twice. Which makes it more about sharpening than drinking. :wink:
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I assume it was a malapropism, conflating "whet one's appetite" with "wet one's whistle".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I've been busted! Good catch, as they shay.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Early access beta keys coming out March 17. Looking forward to this!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Backers just got access to the beta today on Steam. I haven’t played it yet but I did watch someone play it on Youtube. It looks really good and the plot seems pretty interesting - I suspect some betrayal and backstabbing along the way. The graphics look very good and the game has a lot of the more recent tactical game enhancements - showing percentage to hit for all possible targets from any position, looks like it has a Phoenix Point aiming mechanic (though it looks like it was perhaps based upon a perk selection?) and looting and inventory seemed simplified also - one universal inventory for all squad mates and looting one corpse loots them all. My favorite new perks is “Sneaky Shit” - evading traps/detection and sneak attacks :)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've been cranking this up over and over, trying to work out a stuttering issue and long load times. The latter got better when I moved it to an SSD but I'm seeing stuttering / hitching of the cutscenes and during combat if the focus flies around. The sound works fine but the videos stop then jump ahead over and over. I've tried dropping the preset down from the High it defaulted to, to Medium and Low without any change in behavior. I've tried things like turning off post-processing or dropping LOD but those are more combat related than cutscenes, I would think. Any ideas what to try changing? FWIW, I've got an Intel i7-5930K, 16GB ram and a 980Ti running Windows 10 1909, if that helps at all. First time seeing something like this. Thanks.

Now I'm wondering if it's related to one of the recent troublesome Windows 10 updates as I just had my first BSOD ever on this machine. :think: Will uninstall the one I think might be the issue and see what happens.
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hmm, I played the beta all the way through to the end, I didn't have a problem except for a freeze during combat once. Game ran fine. I really like it, looks great and plays great. You have a universal inventory, no more inventory testris and sorting, pick up loot and you pick up loot for all the bodies, and the perks seem pretty cool, gives you some "powers" that seem pretty cool to use. You even can target body parts like in Phoenix Point and the old Fallouts. Very much looking forward to this.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Delayed until August 28th, due to impact of the virus on development, at least that is what they say. Fine with me, there's always enough in my backlog that I don't really miss any delayed game. Still looking forward to it very much based upon what I played in the demo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Re: Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

Post by Carpet_pissr »

From my email today. I had totally forgotten I backed this. Looks like they are still sticking with the (delayed) date of Aug 28th. And 2016?! Really? Wow time flies.

"Looks like we made it! Here we are in the final stretch before Wasteland 3’s release on August 28. It’s been a long haul since our introduction of Wasteland 3’s Fig campaign back in 2016, all the way up through this year.

2020 has not been without its challenges, not the least of which for us was the introduction of working from home and a subsequent delay from our previous release date. It was a daunting prospect filled with unknowns, but the team rallied, and we quickly adapted to these new complexities. The extension on release also offered us more time to consider the feedback from the Beta and to implement much needed polish, general refinements, and focus on additional elements."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really loved the Fallout games but Ive tried Wasteland 2 a few times and it didn't grab me. I never played the original.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

First review out is very positive:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ic-america
And much of Wasteland 3 is good for the genre but not quite standout. It has all the old-school RPG stuff you'd expect it to: character progression, a focus on character builds, options only available to you if you pass skill checks, turn-based party combat, all that good stuff. And it is good here. But I'm in it for the world, for the atmosphere, for the music (oh, the music is brilliant!), for the characters, their dialogue and their voice acting - all American twangs, a throaty Wild West drawl dragged through a voice box. inXile really has done a fantastic job nailing the Wasteland tone and atmosphere here. It's the kind of Fallout game I've missed, which has a wonderful "circle of life" ring to it.

As you explore and level up, as you work your way through the primary and secondary quests, you come to realise a confrontation with the Patriarch is inevitable. You're going to have to do something about him, the man who's made Colorado great again. inXile's message is irrelevant, really. Wasteland 3 is a no-holds barred teardown of the American Dream, a parody of a nation that is now beyond parody. It is a satire you get to direct, and I heartily recommend doing so.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Good, by the time I finish up GTA 5 and Warsaw, this will hopefully have had a patch or two to smooth out any wrinkles.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Post apocalyptic tactical RPG! I'm in!

Didn't finish Wasteland 2 but liked it a lot (even if it was a tad bit buggy)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:26 pm Post apocalyptic tactical RPG! I'm in!

Where'd you get stuck?
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:52 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:26 pm Post apocalyptic tactical RPG! I'm in!

Where'd you get stuck?
It's been a while but I believe it was just before the California missions.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Where'd you get stuck?
Heh, that's like half the game. Too bad, the California part was kind of fun (even if it was pretty buggy).
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Where'd you get stuck?
Heh, that's like half the game. Too bad, the California part was kind of fun (even if it was pretty buggy).
Yeah, I might even get back to it sometime since I heard California was pretty fun. Then again, Wasteland 3 is gonna unlock soon so new beginnings!
Black lives matter!

Jag

Post by Jag »

Don't forget this is on Gamepass for PC tomorrow and preload now. I just paid my $1 (again) for a month.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Co-op trailer...interesting!
https://youtu.be/KiuSLCVssFA

The half-buried talking metal statue looks amazing (especially as it's about to blow at the end of the clip).

Edit: Why is August 28 in the thread title...is this not releasing tomorrow?

Also, I really need to get to finishing the first one. Jesus this really snuck up on me. Didn't even remember that I was a backer until they sent me the key the other day!
naednek

Post by naednek »

well that's now two games Ronald Regan gets featured this year :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Midnight Aug 28th UTC according to my backer email.
Wasteland 3 launches on Steam and GOG at 00:00 August 28 (5pm PDT, August 27), and we can’t wait for you to experience the post-apocalyptic Colorado that you helped create.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gbasden wrote:

Wasteland 3 launches on Steam and GOG at 00:00 August 28 (5pm PDT, August 27), and we can’t wait for you to experience the post-apocalyptic Colorado that you helped create.
And that would be 8pm EST for the East Coasters! (I would not complain if there's an early release)

Black lives matter!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Reviews from all sources are saying the game is great so far - and very beefy, it will probably take at least 80 hours to complete. Very much looking forward to this.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:28 pm
gbasden wrote:

And that would be 8pm EST for the East Coasters! (I would not complain if there's an early release)
When I asked my question about the date, the Steam page said August 27. It now says August 28. I guess it's fluid, as these things often are. OR I had my days mixed up, which happens a lot lately. (pretty sure it's the former though)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It is scheduled to release at 0000 UTC 28 August, so in North America it will actually unlock on 27 August (2000 EDT, 1700 PDT).

Steam is still showing it as "Planned Release Date: August 27, 5 PM PDT" for me.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Downloaded it last night from Game Pass.
There is now an update for it that is downloading.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Downloading from Steam now.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Max Peck wrote:Downloading from Steam now.
Same here!
Black lives matter!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 pm
Max Peck wrote:Downloading from Steam now.
Same here!
So you played it last night I see on Steam - any impressions?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 pm Downloaded it last night from Game Pass.
There is now an update for it that is downloading.
It's on GamePass? Woohoo. :) I put it on my wishlist this morning, but for free I'll give it a look. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter