Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Phoenix Point - from the creator of the X-COM series in the 1990s

Post by LordMortis »

Neat, but I'm not a fan of mods when a game is new and being updated frequently.

TheMix post (which I eventually would have figured out on own, as the cheese was already evident for hidden units (and pain chameleon)) pretty turned lairs from impossibly hard at my level of understanding to first turn kills.

4 Assault units with good speed, dash, maxed will power and assault rifles are all you need.

Really 1 mutant with Frenzy and 1 assault unit with a Heavy Weapons perk, A Deceptor MG, maxed speed, maxed WP, and dash is all it takes (unless their is a catastrophic failure, which I have yet to encounter). Dash should not get stopped 4 times by spotting. Even if it does, you still 50% of a very long run. The MG to the unarmored part of the Spawnery will do 576 damage in one shot.

I hope they patch out hidden units blocking movement choices and you get stopped at shortest path visibility, even when dashing. Jumping should be limited to visible locations or smarter people than I should figure it out. Invisible unit discovery is really hard not to take in to account when you are building your game around recon. Measuring my movements is how decisions are made. "Why can't get to this spot?" is inherent inquisitivenessitude to me measuring my movement. Some cheese I won't take advantage of, as it ruins the strategy/tactics/fun. Some I don't know how not to.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm.... I never thought of giving the heavy chest piece to an assault. Then you'd be able to jump a fair ways in on the first turn, which should show you some of the mobs. Follow that with multiple dashes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:40 pm Hmmm.... I never thought of giving the heavy chest piece to an assault. Then you'd be able to jump a fair ways in on the first turn, which should show you some of the mobs. Follow that with multiple dashes.
Wouldn't generally be worth it for my builds. If a unit has assault then it has dash, max WP and probably max speed. As it turns out Jump range is 20 and three action points. My assault guys, if they don't have multiple major level changes and corners to navigate, move way more than 20 spaces in three action points. Also as far as I know the only way to way to be proficient in Jumping is to take the heavy class at 40 SP. I don't multiclass to use heavy weapons. I wait for an assault to have the 25(?)SP Heavy perk, which not only gives me the 3 AP 2 shredding 12x40 MG, but it also gives that damage a 20% boost.

I don't really know how movement works. I'd love to see the math but much of the mechanics aren't explained anywhere I've seen. That's the main reason I haven't touched the infiltrator or basic ANU guy. I don't understand them at all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My first Scylla lets me know it was the perfect time to have my heavy start carrying a missile launcher. It also suggests my B squad is going to be out classed and my C squad... isn't anything.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 pm My first Scylla lets me know it was the perfect time to have my heavy start carrying a missile launcher. It also suggests my B squad is going to be out classed and my C squad... isn't anything.
Wait.... You just ran into your FIRST Scylla???!?!?!? Crazy, man!

For contrast, I've probably killed 20 of them. Even nabbed a live one already. But I JUST got rocket launcher tech.

I'm telling you, a sniper/heavy with Rage Burst can take one out in one round with either a cannon or an armor piercing sniper rifle (may actually be easier with the latter).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:54 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 pm My first Scylla lets me know it was the perfect time to have my heavy start carrying a missile launcher. It also suggests my B squad is going to be out classed and my C squad... isn't anything.
Wait.... You just ran into your FIRST Scylla???!?!?!? Crazy, man!

For contrast, I've probably killed 20 of them. Even nabbed a live one already. But I JUST got rocket launcher tech.

I'm telling you, a sniper/heavy with Rage Burst can take one out in one round with either a cannon or an armor piercing sniper rifle (may actually be easier with the latter).
That was what I hoping for but I had to see her in one move and I couldn't make it happen. I may have to get the give allies 1 action point perk on one my assaults to make that more possible in the future.

Discovered a neat way to collect gear. Mind control... Go ahead and use your action points but this one... This one you will reserve to drop all of you equipment (but armor :( )
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Loading my last save "An error has occurred at game level"
Try a second time and then game is locked on the loading screen.
Kill the process and now my games are all borked.

Not happy. Not sure I want to start again.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That's what happened to me. I did have a save from the Geoscape though that I was able to use. But I lost a lot of progress. I failed a mission where I had to protect a non-combatant. So of course the enemies targeted and killed him. The annoying thing was that it doesn't let you Restart the level. You just Fail. And trying to go back to a save during the battle doesn't seem to work. You have to find one from the Geoscape.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

in my 3rd game and I can't progress this time past the research a lair mission, the spawner is so well hidden half my team dies and I still can't find it. I reload and come back to it at a later time so it's a new map but each time I can't find it. I'm almost to the point of quitting this game and waiting for more updates and possible mods. I love the game concepts but I don't enjoy a game I have to constantly reload because something didn't go my way. At least in XCOM if I lose some soldiers I can push through and recover, this game not so much. There's no ironman'ing in this game, maybe it's because I just suck at it...but I'm playing rookie difficulty!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am the same way. Theey need to do some balancing, because this is my favorite type of game, but I am not a fan of the current iteration of it.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Those problems are why I started using mods and activated the debug console.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lassr wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 pm in my 3rd game and I can't progress this time past the research a lair mission, the spawner is so well hidden half my team dies and I still can't find it. I reload and come back to it at a later time so it's a new map but each time I can't find it. I'm almost to the point of quitting this game and waiting for more updates and possible mods. I love the game concepts but I don't enjoy a game I have to constantly reload because something didn't go my way. At least in XCOM if I lose some soldiers I can push through and recover, this game not so much. There's no ironman'ing in this game, maybe it's because I just suck at it...but I'm playing rookie difficulty!
That sucks. Apparently you were not able to puzzle out my vague instructions as well as LordMortis. :D

One thing that I have noticed a few times is that I'll only be able to see one of the "pits" where the spawnery will be located. i.e. I can only see the back left "pit", or only see the back right "pit". This works too. Because if the game shows that you can descend into the "pit" (that is it shows a movement path when you mouse over the "pit"), then you know that the spawnery is going to be in the other one. And even if you can't see the other one because the map is black, it will still show you the projected movement path for that area. So you still should be able to get an idea of the direction to head. You definitely want to always focus on either going left or right. That way you shouldn't have to deal with any of the Pandorans that are on the other side of the map.

The cheese method, therefore, that LordMortis is referring to, is to have 1-2 Assault soldiers with high WP that can Dash 3-5 times. You'll also probably want to have pretty high Speed for them. I didn't push WP on mine, so they generally only have ~3 Dash chances; most of my Speed values are around 20. At any rate the idea is to move up your other soldiers first (once you've identified which direction to head). By doing this you will hopefully "discover" some of the closer enemies. This allows your Assault soldiers to use a Dash right off the bat to get some progress. Then it will be a bit of a judgement call whether to try a second Dash or try movement first. I'll generally move one soldier up to "discover" any new enemies, and then Dash the other Assaults. Once you get past the first and second "thirds" of the path, you should be good to Dash. Oddly, there are rarely any Pandorans near the spawnery. So you just have to get through the initial batch. The last thing that I've found to be helpful is to finish up by shooting so enemies with my soldiers that stayed back. I don't know for sure, but this may cause Pandorans to move towards the soldiers that stayed back instead of trying to chase down the ones that ran by.

A nice "feature" of the cheese method is that if you run into a problem as you execute it, you are likely still only on round one or two. :)

I found a video that may help. Things to note:
1) How he locates the spawnery at the beginning.
2) How he moves the soldier up initially to find all of the enemies. This keeps his subsequent Dashes from being interrupted.
3) How he initially selects a location next to the spawnery and uses the path trace that appears to figure out how to get there easiest.

I have not tried it with a stealth soldier. Nor do I like the idea of sending just one soldier. Though I suppose if that soldier can stealth you'll be okay. But you do have to make sure to save WP for re-stealthing.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

one thing I learned from that video which I didn't realize is the dash can be used consecutive times in a turn. Maybe you said it above but I hadn't paid attention because I got past this mission easily the previous game but now I think that may have been a fluke as the pit was not too far away and I launch grenades into it.

Now to figure out how to get through missions with grenade launching Chirrons, or Chalupa's or Chirizos, whatever they're called, they wipe out my team quickly.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I almost mentioned it, but didn't. Does that count?

For the record: any ability that does not take action points can still be used when all the soldier's action points have been used up. However, the game will not make that obvious. Tabbing only moves between soldiers that still have action points to spend. You will have to manually select the soldier. I make most frequent use of this in two cases. First is the above mentioned Dash. Second is to switch my snipers to their pistol and set them on overwatch. Remember that overwatch for a sniper (assuming you took the skill) costs one less action point. And pistols only cost one action point. Ergo, overwatch with a pistol is free.

For Arthrons, snipers are your best friend. Shoot the arms off. I actually hate the machine gun arms more than the grenade launcher arms for two reasons. First, machine gun arms allow them to return fire on anyone that shoots from too close. Second, the machine gun has a MUCH longer range. You shouldn't need to worry about the grenade launchers right away (assuming you saw them at range). You should have time to take out the grenade launcher before it gets close enough to use it.

One more thing, focus fire when you can. Remember that every Pandoran you kill negatively affects the WP of the rest. If you have a couple of snipers and can drop a couple of Pandorans in the first turn, it'll make them more susceptible to panic.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Best advice that I can give you for the Explosive variant of the Chiron is a Sniper/Heavy with Rage Burst. However, that's a level 7 skill, so it may not be an option. Barring that I used Sniper/Heavy soldiers with Helcannons to strip away armor so that others could do more damage. And focus on the abdomen to disable it. Hopefully you won't run into them until you have access to armor piercing weapons. (Getting to 50 rep with New Jericho is pretty important!)

As a last ditch, if you have killed a few other Pandorans, and you have a Priest, you may be able to Panic the Chiron. I use Panic far more often than I use Mind Control because it costs a lot less, and because it takes the big targets and/or multiple targets out of the fight for one round. Which is often enough time for me to deal with them. Panicking a Scylla is a HUGE help.

Online I've read comments/advice saying to get under cover, but that isn't always an option. You can at least spread your guys out a bit. And try to use buildings to intercept the bombs, since they use an arc for targeting.
Last edited by TheMix on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

First death. Well, that I accepted and didn't reload. Mostly because there was no way around it. I'd already tried multiple tactics.

Definitely the hardest fight I've run into. Taking out a blacksite that had a ton of New Jericho troops. Including 4-5 armadillos.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Thanks, just about everything you mentioned, I do (haven't gotten priests in either game yet). And yes, I don't have rage burst yet in this game. Had it in my previous game and was a HUGE help. Right now, I don't have the fire power or armor pierce yet so my first grenade chiron was painful.

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm For the record: any ability that does not take action points can still be used when all the soldier's action points have been used up. However, the game will not make that obvious make it a giant pain in the ass.

Quick aiming four or five or six times after your run out of movements points and you have to keep clicking on the soldier quick aim again and then click on the soldier to soot again. And if your aren't careful, your likely quick aim the wrong guy or overwatch the wrong guy. Another :? UI decision.
For Arthrons, snipers are your best friend. Shoot the arms off.
So much this when they have a machine gun. I never know when they have return fire.

Thinking about resetting tonight and getting in a new start before bed. Not sure if I'm going to come off rookie mode or what the difference is if I do.
Lassr wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm (haven't gotten priests in either game yet).
I'm thinking if I restart, I'm going priest heavy and becoming an equipment stealing machine.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Annnddddd... done. The last battle was a slog. I was a little worried about ammo near the end.

Having 2 priests and 2 technicians (one was a tech/priest) really helped. The priests both were running with Radiant Hope and the technicians both had the +20 armor. Most of the actual fighting was done with my 3 snipers. I had a stealth/assault in reserve (I should have brought more shotgun ammo) and a heavy/berserker that could have been better. The grenade launcher isn't that great. I should have brought someone with the mounted rockets. The top level of those are pretty amazing.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm Annnddddd... done. The last battle was a slog. I was a little worried about ammo near the end.
:clap: <Standing Ovation>

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nice. I have to wonder how close I was before my game died. I started over (still on Rookie). I'm guessing game calendar, I will be rushing through quicker. Timewise. Not so much. I played a lot during my break. Now that I'm back to work, six hours video gaming in a nice relaxing day isn't likely to happen.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LordMortis wrote:Nice. I have to wonder how close I was before my game died. I started over (still on Rookie). I'm guessing game calendar, I will be rushing through quicker. Timewise. Not so much. I played a lot during my break. Now that I'm back to work, six hours video gaming in a nice relaxing day isn't likely to happen.
Me too. I did get through the lair last night but it was not a spawner this time, it was a Chiron which is so much easier. But my faction relations are not good this game even though I've been helping out as much as I can. 7% with Jericho is the highest and not the group I've been helping the most...wtf

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think choosing at least one faction to be your enemy is the way the game is supposed to be played. I've just been cheesing the game very well to raise my relationships with all of the factions. That was about at its end when the game game crashed. I had gotten to the point where they their wars were on the verge of turning hot and every time I defended haven I was netting a loss in relations that was only barely made up by defeating a lair. Something like +9 -12 -17 for defense. +10 +10 +10 for nuking a lair. If I were to defend the same faction three times in a row, the most hated faction would start falling fast. Synedrion, I think was in the low 70s and dropping despite my best efforts to keep them up. I'd imagine as they were just starting to bring repellers online that was going to get worse. NJ was also on the verge of a pandoran mitigation tech, which suggests I was about become besties with ANU while the others were going to go steadily down.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think the best I managed was 100% with 2 and 95% with the third. Just could never swing the hat trick.

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

The priests are Anu I assume. I am finding synedrion to be my least favorite recruits.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote:I think the best I managed was 100% with 2 and 95% with the third. Just could never swing the hat trick.
My 2nd game I had Jericho and synedrion at 50% before giving up. This game though...

Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:17 pm The priests are Anu I assume. I am finding synedrion to be my least favorite recruits.
Yes and I agree. The only thing good about synedrion to as far as I've gotten in the game is their ranged paralysis contribution. I've never been in a position where stealth has been meaningful. I *do* hope that their DLC map for getting more money out consumers adds a viable use for stealth based recon. There is a lot more potential in this game than the release showcases. My :( is that when you look at the first $40 in DLC coming down the pike, it's really not that much feature addition for the buck.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I felt that the Infiltrator class only starts to shine when 1) it got the last level skill, and 2) when I dual classed to Assault. The Infiltrator weapons blow. However, a soldier shooting a shotgun from stealth will do some serious damage. Especially with the later shotguns. However, the default stealth mechanic is confusing, at best, and nearly impossible to plan around. I don't think it's even possible to get close enough for a shotgun with the default stealth mechanic without being "seen" and losing your stealth bonus.

I can say that I never used the Deploy Decoy skill. It's probably a waste. I used the Spider Drone Pack in an earlier game, but was not impressed. But Vanish is phenomenal. You actually stayed stealthed for a turn, even if you fire. Dash close, flip on Vanish, and then blast twice at close range with a shotgun for 100% bonus damage?

Something I didn't do until late game, but would do much sooner in a new game: put 3 Training Rooms in a base (probably not until you find your 3rd base). It really doesn't take long to level a new recruit significantly when you park them at a base with 3 Training Rooms giving them 12 xp/hour. That's when I'd recommend grabbing an Infiltrator. Then just park the person there until they hit level 7.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm Something I didn't do until late game, but would do much sooner in a new game: put 3 Training Rooms in a base (probably not until you find your 3rd base). It really doesn't take long to level a new recruit significantly when you park them at a base with 3 Training Rooms giving them 12 xp/hour. That's when I'd recommend grabbing an Infiltrator. Then just park the person there until they hit level 7.
In my dead game, I only built training rooms in the first base (What is that 5? 6?) and then waited to get my second base before building other stuff. Training rooms were priority after saving to build for a 2nd vehicle (Liberating vesicles is a no go when I'm trying to keep up good relations)

In this round, I put up 2 research facilities right away (using all but 3 power) instead and am holding off until Base 3 to do 100% training. I haven't found base 2 yet. So it may be a while. I just started on my second vehicle on day 5. That's gonna hurt on my attempts at a quick start but my last game seemed to bottle neck in the middle game with research, so I'm trying to get the jump here.

I plan to have a huge income by using priests to steal equipment in every mission and then selling it all off. We'll see if my plan will come to fruition.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:02 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 pm Something I didn't do until late game, but would do much sooner in a new game: put 3 Training Rooms in a base (probably not until you find your 3rd base). It really doesn't take long to level a new recruit significantly when you park them at a base with 3 Training Rooms giving them 12 xp/hour. That's when I'd recommend grabbing an Infiltrator. Then just park the person there until they hit level 7.
In my dead game, I only built training rooms in the first base (What is that 5? 6?) and then waited to get my second base before building other stuff.

In this round, I put up 2 research facilities right away (using all but 3 power) instead and am holding off until Base 3 to do 100% training. I haven't found base 2 yet. So it may be a while.
I'd been doing Research Labs because I'd read that they were a good investment. But now that I've played a bit... I'm not so sure. I think all of the weapons I used were either starting ones or obtained from another faction. I suppose you could make an argument for boosting research in case you can't build those faction relationships. But I think that it may be more useful to save the extra Research Labs for later bases. Then you can build a bunch. I'm not sure that you lose much by having slow research initially. Maybe the ability to capture Pandorans to study? Seems like a weak argument when compared to being able to get your troops up to level 4 or 5 quickly.

I think it also depends on how you play. I reload when I lose a soldier and try again. Part of that is that I enjoy coming up with a strategy that works. But it you play more ironman-like, then the Training Rooms are going to be far more valuable early on.

Though I don't know if I'd go to the extreme that you did. :D

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Training facilities.. Yep I just learned late game that multiple training facilities enhanced the XPs. That's why I think I'll be starting over tonight. I was trying to level up new recruits quicker by taking some on missions but they would be the most likely ones to die. When I realized I could have a base for mostly training that's when it clicked to promote soldiers that way.

Last edited by Lassr on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One caveat.... if you build a "Training" base, then you are going to need a "Recovery" base too. That is, if you follow LM's tactic and build a Training Room in every available slot, then you'll have soldiers that level fast. But they won't recover quickly. In my "main" bases I was building 2 Medical Labs and 2 Living Quarters. This will help your soldiers recover health and stamina quickly so that they can get back out into the field quicker.

If you have 3+ bases, then making one dedicated to training recruits to level 7 before you move them to the operation bases makes a lot of sense.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lassr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:08 pm I was trying to level up new recruits quicker by taking some on missions ...
I can't even imagine that with the way the game ramps up difficulty. I would never take a soldier in battle less than level 5 by the time I hit February (This is avoiding all scavenging sites and never being hostile with the factions unless it levels my diplomacy) .

Heck, I'm on day six now, maybe and, anything short of level 3 is beginning to be a problem already (where I regret not having training facilities for when my sole squad is forced to go home to rest)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm One caveat.... if you build a "Training" base, then you are going to need a "Recovery" base too. That is, if you follow LM's tactic and build a Training Room in every available slot, then you'll have soldiers that level fast. But they won't recover quickly. In my "main" bases I was building 2 Medical Labs and 2 Living Quarters. This will help your soldiers recover health and stamina quickly so that they can get back out into the field quicker.

If you have 3+ bases, then making one dedicated to training recruits to level 7 before you move them to the operation bases makes a lot of sense.
Heh, recovery for much of my game was a chance to get experience. :D

I was wondering if medical and living quarters stack. I guess that's my answer.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assumed they did from the descriptions. I don't recall ever actually verifying. :)

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And, Lassr, one thing that LM has alluded to a couple of times is worth calling out: don't do the scavenge missions. Just cancel and leave them there. Unless you are desperate for resources, they are not worth it.

The exception to that might be if you are on the peak of the curve. That is, much like XCOM, the enemies in this game seem to ramp up in difficulty at certain points. Which usually means you'll reach a point where you are (briefly) breezing through encounters. That's probably the time to hit a few scavenge sites. Otherwise I found them to be far too difficult for the meager rewards.

Also, I can confirm LMs comment way above: defending a haven will show you an enemy location. If you are trying to boost rep with factions, defending is key. The defense mission itself is questionable since you may end up losing rep with the other factions, but getting an enemy lair/spawnery/citadel (my favorites!) is huge since they are good for a boost to all faction reps.

Oh and on the topic of citadels, I had several late game where the scylla started out >75% damaged. Talk about making it easy!

Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yes, I do the early game scavenger missions but after a while I do skip them now as I can trade food for tech or materials or get free resources through exploring

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hotfix posted
Today we have released a hotfix for Phoenix Point, revision 1.0.54861 EGS on the Epic Games Store which addresses the following issues:
  • Fixed a game crash in battles during the enemy turn when the enemy is panicked and could be caused by return fire, overwatch, and/or exploding barrels.
  • Fixed a game crash when leaving a tactical mission, which was caused by trying to retrieve weapons that are actually body parts of Mutogs, turrets, etc. These will no longer be recoverable.
  • Also, prevents recovering mutated body parts as equipable items.
  • Fixed a bug that corrupted saved games that are saved during a battle after a Scylla is killed with the belcher abdomen.
    Note: this will not retroactively fix already corrupted saved games
  • Fixed a hang when loading a saved game where someone was hit by a weapon that causes bleed (e.g., Slasher Siren, Anu Blade) which caused the unit to die from the bleed damage next turn.
  • Fixed a bug that doesn’t allow the game to start if you have corrupted save games.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the final boss to not play its sounds.
While this hotfix addresses some of the most urgent issues, we also have another larger patch currently in the works, containing many more bug-fixes and balance changes. While we do not yet have a release date for this larger patch, we will update the community as soon as we know more.

This hotfix will deploy a little later on the UWP (Windows Store / Windows Game Pass) due to certification requirements.

Please do continue to report bugs in-game via the F12 tool, or here on the forums. We are also currently exploring more ways for you to contact us in the future to offer your suggestions and ideas for improvements.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Am I putting too much thought into if/which faction I should keep happy?
All 3 of them? Does it really matter?

I'm still kinda in the early stage of the game and find myself starting to get a bit paralyzed by the building choice, faction choices and multiple missions.My geoscape looks like a mess of questions marks and so far I only have 1 base and 5 soldiers. I did find a second base but am getting it up and running.

I know I should be recruiting and am trying to research everything I've come across, yet no alien tech has shown up for me that I can see and I'm kinda unclear on the recruiting aspect.

Alot....I know......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not really.... Kind of.

I do think it's pretty worthwhile to at least try to get to 50 with all 3. But if you can't initially, I wouldn't worry about it. That lets you get a lot of their tech free.

Personally, I'd recommend New Jericho if you have to make a choice.
- New Jericho will get you armor piercing weapons - later (initial weapons are going to be shorter range, higher damage)
- Synedrion will get you laser weapons (less damage, longer range)
- Anu will get you... I'm drawing a blank. :D Later on you'll get corrosive from them, I believe.

Armors vary. I like the Synedrion armor. They have the highest bonus to accuracy. Anu will get you movement bonuses. NJ will be higher damage resistance.

In terms of the elite mobs you can get... The priest (Anu) is probably the best. I never made up my mind on the Berserker (Anu). Mixed with a Heavy and a grenade launcher, he's not bad. But probably more useful early game. Especially if you haven't picked up armor piercing guns yet. I also really liked the Technician (NJ). Especially maxed level and running with a priest or two that boosts WP. Being able to grab +20 armor every round is really nice. Also being able to restore damaged limbs. The Infiltrator (Syn) was 'meh'. Dual classed with Assault wasn't too bad.

I'm not sure if you have to be 50 rep to recruit elites. But I don't think so. You may not need to be allied at all. As long as you've learned the recruit tech.

Recruiting is a bit weird. Once you hit 25 with a Faction, you can see all of their havens on the map. (Though remember that if there are special events/quests at a haven, you won't get that unless you actually visit *that* haven. So it is useful to visit haven locations even if you know who they belong to.) If the faction has build a training center, and they have a soldier you can recruit, then you'll see a little orange(?) human figure next to the haven. If/when they build an elite training center, then you'll see a human figure with an asterisk next to it. Note: if you hire an elite, the person symbol seems to go white - I assume this is to represent that it takes time for them to train another elite soldier.

So you just fly to a haven with a person next to it, open the haven details, then look for the box that shows the soldier you can recruit. Spend the resources and the soldier becomes yours. If you have room on the vehicle that you visited the haven with, then the soldier will climb on board; if not, then the soldier will appear at the closest(?) base.

Also, you can open up the haven info without being there. This will allow you to look at the soldier available. I found that early on they were mostly Assault soldiers. I had to hunt to find a Sniper or Heavy.

Black Lives Matter