Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Games Finished - 2020 Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paradroid

Re: Games Finished - 2020 Edition

Post by Paradroid »

I rarely finish games because I tend to play open-ended stuff (nothing at all to do with my toddler-like attention span, oh no), but I did recently 100% Refunct which I was quite proud of.
The pro gamer formerly known as Huw the Poo

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Paradroid wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:53 am
I rarely finish games because I tend to play open-ended stuff (nothing at all to do with my toddler-like attention span, oh no), but I did recently 100% Refunct which I was quite proud of.
I've listed plenty of open ended games over the years. 4x games, grand strategy, MMOs, and so forth. My view is that I'll list it when I'm 'done' with it if I feel like I've seen most of what it has to offer. After all, people who list an open world game in here may do so with every collectible and corner explored, or they may just 30% completion from rushing through the story, ignoring most of the content. It's a little subjective, but that's fine. This is an informal thread.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Finished Control main story and quite a few side quests.
What a wild ride.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bioshock 2.

I might be interested in doing Minerva's Den, but there's no way I'm going back for The Protector Trials.

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance »

Snow White: Charmed Kingdom Solitaire (all levels max)
Hitman GO (completed all levels and challenges)

raydude

Post by raydude »

Finished Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

Careful husbanding of units and not letting them die in the early missions gave me some battle hardened veterans that made some of the later missions easier. As a consequence of trying to keep units alive I decided to try and keep my force together as much as possible. I also made the Kapisi carrier run point a few times as it could soak up a lot of damage and dish out damage on its own.

After being burned a few times with not having enough resources and the game telling me I needed to research "tech blahblah" I tried to always keep a resource reserve when possible so I could immediately research the tech at certain milestones in the game. And since the game doesn't have an "automatic harvest of all remaining resources" option a lot of times I would park my forces on a resource site, grab all the resources, then move to the next one while waiting for the Gaalsien forces to try to attack me.

Things opened up when I unlocked Rachel's ability to hack cruisers into coming on our side. There was one mission where the Gaalsien forces kept sending armored forces backed by an HonorGuardcruiser; I think I hacked 4 cruisers into joining me that one time.

For the final mission I parked my force on some hills near a wreck on the right side of the map and just let the enemy forces come to me. The K'Had Sajuuk obliged me by coming straight at me. Orbital bombardment stripped away his forces, and all my units targeted his flagship.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:12 pm
Bioshock 2.

I might be interested in doing Minerva's Den, but there's no way I'm going back for The Protector Trials.
Minerva's Den done.

TheMix
Loading…

Post by TheMix »

Diablo 3: Season 21 - completed all chapters. Got all three conquest challenges on the first try with little to no prep. Definitely happy about that. And it appears that 13 is the max number of stash tabs. So that means I'm "done" done, if I want. At least until D4 comes out. Though I may go back in occasionally just for fun. The Barbarian Rend/Whirl Wind build is incredibly OP.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Supraland. It's actually a pretty good game with a nice mix of puzzle solving and secret hunting. The combat is a bit annoying at times and I wish there was less of it, or maybe even none at all. I would say it's most comparable to Portal, but much weirder.

Sudy
Loading…

Post by Sudy »

I actually finished a game! Doom (1993). On Hurt Me Plenty difficulty, anyway. Except, I didn't do the fourth episode that was added in Ultimate Doom. I read it's ridiculously tough, and I'm going to be an adult here. I can handle taking on the baron of hell with a shotgun on the first map, but the enemies spawning out of nowhere are cheap. I also picked up Doom 2 and Doom 64 and feel my time and blood pressure will be better served by moving on to those.
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Replayed Sniper Elite V2 Remastered (technically, it's not a replay, but the game is otherwise identical to original Sniper Elite V2 gameplay-wise) , and did not go for all the achievements. I did find a few more gold bars and whatnot this time around, but I'm not the kind of guy who explores every room just in hopes of finding a collectible.

Sniper Elite 3 is a true replay though, and got a bit more "completion" percentage, now at 69%, as it counts all the optional objectives and collectibles. But I am NOT going for 100%, which, I feel, is impossible to get without following a map or way too much time I want to spend.

I just replayed the FIRST mission in SE3 (yet again) and finally got everything, and that was the short intro level... Apparently, you need to sit at each sniper spot and scan the horizon for ANYTHING you can kill, to get the "long shot" deed for that level. Otherwise you won't see it. I play slow extermination, where I start shooting and then kill all the reinforcement until my zone had been depopulated. I don't really sneak except to get into position. I think I will see if I have any DLC missions, and try those, then move onto Sniper Elite 4.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Sudy
Loading…

Post by Sudy »

I finally got my last Diablo 3 class (Monk) to 70, eight+ years later. I'm going to go ahead and call that game finished?

Prior to launch Monk was the class I most interested in, but it just never stuck. I think this is the fourth one I've played. Witch Doctor wound up being my favourite, instead.

Holy cow, I can't believe D3 is eight years old! I remember pre-ordering it like it was yesterday. I'm going to die soon. :(
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon complete.

100% on the side missions. Not doing the collectible hunt.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I've previously reported that I am DONE with Sniper Elite 3, as that collectible hunt is out of hand.

I'm "almost" done with Sniper Elite 4. I'm doing it just enough to gain mastery over the Delisle Carbine, and that's it. Time to move onto something else.

I've done two out of eight missions, to 100% collectibles, but EACH level took 3 hours to scour the map, WHILE referencing a map. I have NO IDEA how the guide makers found all of them. Did they conduct a grid search pattern or something?

I may do the "kill Hitler" mission just for the heck of it. It may be enough to get me the weapon mastery.

EDIT: Kill Hitler complete. Crushed him with a U-boat. That's it for Sniper Elite 4. There's like 7 other ways to kill him but I'm not going to try all of them.

EDIT2: Okay, I guess I want the gold skin really bad. I went in and killed Hitler by hitting an explosive drum next to him. Was going to crush him with the eagle but can't get the right angle. Then proceed to exterminate the base. STILL didn't get enough eye shots. Did Deathstorm 1 again. Actually this time managed to drop a set of sea mines on a tank, getting a challenge done, but that's merely 1 out of 5 challenges. Decided enough is enough, got the gold skin for the Delisle, and that's it. I'm DONE with Sniper Elite 4. Moving onto Subdivision Infinity.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am done with Subdivision Infinity, and I'm giving it a Thumbs DOWN, because it is a schizophrenic game.

The combat portion of the game, i.e. main campaign, is pretty good, with full 6 degrees of freedom (lateral and vertical movement, turn nose left or right, and roll ship) and there's afterburners (or speed boost), and there are two guns and missiles. But there are quirks here... You can't fire the guns separately. They are linked only. And apparently all gun shots travel as the same speed, as there is only ONE aiming cross-hair, and it has minor auto-aim once you "lock-on".

But the game also throws you a combination gauntlet (infinite enemy waves) / scavenger hunt (find the crate, in 3D space, sometimes inside asteroid tunnels) / resource management (mine the asteroids) mode called "exploration". There are X number of crates hidden in each exploration map. To reveal ONE of them, you have to buy and deploy a "radar beacon" for 5000 coins, which is a big chunk of money at least in early game. And a map can contain a dozen of these. Then you have to fly there, while under nearly constant harassment by enemy forces, who never stops coming. If you kill one wave, next wave jumps in. AND you need to give up your missile launcher to fit a "mining tool" (i.e. mining laser) so you can shoot it at minable asteroids and watch stuff pop off like candy for your tractor beam to grab automatically. But not all asteroids are minable. Then you realize there's a control quirk... Press "A" button on gamepad to scan, but your turning control is on RIGHT stick, so you can't do both with one hand. ARGH...

And let's just say the scanners can find everything even through asteroids and such, which can be both blessing and a curse, as you don't know how far the target is except through a slight bit of triangulation possible by lateral displacement... And enemies will launch missiles at you in later levels that will just hit whatever in the way, and if you were in a tunnel, the missile warning is CONSTANT and non-stop (and impossible to mute). And you quickly developed the tactic of leaving one in a wave of fighters alive so you can mine in "relative" peace, as one single fighter is unlikely to do you much damage. You just have to avoid the minibosses that show up in exploration, which can be a challenge to kill without missiles.

You do get a few weapons, and those weapons can be further upgraded for magazine size, damage, and firing rate, but so far it's a bit of "meh". You need to spend "gear crates" (blue blobs you capture as random enemy drops) and lots of it

The ships themselves are named poorly with dubious lineage (Tornado looks nothing like Tornado X, and Supernova looks nothing like Supernova X) and differences are minor (with exception of Supernova: TREMENDUS armor, about 10X of normal, paper-thin shields). You can "evolve" your ship but all that does is spend some "ship evo kits" (green blobs you pick up as random enemy drops) and some cash, and expands your armor and cargo slightly, so you can mine more stuff. Some ships must be BUILT by using a dozen evo kits, some blueprints you have to pick up (hidden in crates, thus the exploration missions), and some special elements you have to mine (but most you mine is dirt, which can be sold cheaply, and no, you can't eject cargo while exploring, or only mine the stuff you need).

So to get the best weapons and ships, you have to "grind" the ANNOYING exploration missions.

And there is no mid-mission save. Or any checkpoint saves for that matter. If you die, restart from the beginning, even if you've spent an HOUR looking for the crates and taken down cruisers and more.

And THAT is its ultimate sin...