If You Could Replay A Game For The First Time, Which Would You Choose?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Re: If You Could Replay A Game For The First Time, Which Would You Choose?

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:33 am Gut reaction is any of Witcher 3, Planescape: Torment, or possibly Fallout 2.

Though with the latter two it's been long enough that I could probably replay them now and it'd be maybe 50% fresh.
I broke down a month or so ago, and have been replaying it for the 2 3/4 time (there were a couple of partials in there). I think I made most of the same choices that I did in the first go-around, as I feel uncomfortable making choices in games that don’t align with my feelings and thoughts most of the time. Plus, there’s no way I could ever choose a mousey sorceress like Triss, when the clearly superior Yennefer is right there ;) .I did change it up a little bit to allow Ciri a different ending. Even knowing the story, I just love being around the characters, and exploring the world. I would love to have a spin-off game exploring the Skellige Isles in more detail.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:16 pm Kidding aside , I suppose this thread brings another angle to the Red/Blue pill question:

Most of the great video games you play will actually just be a replay of those games.

In fact I imagine a replay at 6 would result perhaps in me not getting as into pc games, cause I will have already played em.
Depends on when you were 6 I think and your access to computers at the time. Sure, you might eventually do things different to have more money, but guessing most of us could not get a computer when we were 6 (for some of the older members, it wasn't a matter of money, home PC's just didn't exist at all!)

You had a computer when you were 6? The games you might be interested in were out?

We got an Atari 2600 when I was around 6-8. That was the in thing.

Not that it wasn't huge fun at the time, but it's hardly the same as a computer. And the game I picked was not released until 1988.

Pretty sure, that by the time I could get a computer to play these games, and the games came out, the several years of no computer/not as good of games would make me quite happy to replay these games! And having suffered through years of worse graphics, the by modern standards, still ancient graphics of these games would probably look pretty darn good.

"OMG - something remotely worthwhile! Graphics are as good/even better than I remember them originally!"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Not sure what you are saying... I mean, I understand what you are saying, but it's not speaking to the point I was trying to make.

I am just saying (back to the red/blue pill question from another thread...) that if you went back in time to when you were six and had all the knowledge from this life.... All of the video games you eventually play (assuming they are the ones you played the first time you lived your life.... ) will all be you playing them for a second time. You will need to wait until 2020 until you hear/see/ or play anything 'new to you'.

Just something I hadn't really thought about... and it would be the same for music and movies, etc... I think one may go mad waiting for the world to produce new things that you weren't already previously impressed with in your previous live-through.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ah, I see your point (yes, I know the blue/red pill thread and my answer was aimed from that point of view).

I just think after waiting so long to experience anything in computer gaming (my primary hobby since I had a Commodore 64, so TV/movies would be less of a concern, music I like 70's/80's rock and 80's/90's country so I'd be jamming there, and books, there's hordes of classic books I have never had time to read I could read, so computer games is the only really relevant media to me for going back to being 6), I'd be stoked by the time the classic games I remember finally came out because I'd be starved for computer games after going nearly a decade without!

Though it might give me a chance to pursue board games/RPGs more, especially if I could find groups/people to play with.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:35 am Ah, I see your point (yes, I know the blue/red pill thread and my answer was aimed from that point of view).

I just think after waiting so long to experience anything in computer gaming (my primary hobby since I had a Commodore 64, so TV/movies would be less of a concern, music I like 70's/80's rock and 80's/90's country so I'd be jamming there, and books, there's hordes of classic books I have never had time to read I could read, so computer games is the only really relevant media to me for going back to being 6), I'd be stoked by the time the classic games I remember finally came out because I'd be starved for computer games after going nearly a decade without!

Though it might give me a chance to pursue board games/RPGs more, especially if I could find groups/people to play with.
Seeing some of the bands I never got a chance to because they died/broke up/etc wouldn't suck.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:34 am Not sure what you are saying... I mean, I understand what you are saying, but it's not speaking to the point I was trying to make.

I am just saying (back to the red/blue pill question from another thread...) that if you went back in time to when you were six and had all the knowledge from this life.... All of the video games you eventually play (assuming they are the ones you played the first time you lived your life.... ) will all be you playing them for a second time. You will need to wait until 2020 until you hear/see/ or play anything 'new to you'.

Just something I hadn't really thought about... and it would be the same for music and movies, etc... I think one may go mad waiting for the world to produce new things that you weren't already previously impressed with in your previous live-through.
This presumes you've consumed all the media relevant to you throughout your life. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I could easily fill a couple lifetimes with stuff I've wanted to see/read/play but didn't have time for.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or live life #2 following different genres, or different hobbies.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:34 am Not sure what you are saying... I mean, I understand what you are saying, but it's not speaking to the point I was trying to make.

This presumes you've consumed all the media relevant to you throughout your life. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I could easily fill a couple lifetimes with stuff I've wanted to see/read/play but didn't have time for.
well of course I haven’t.
And theoretically there would be NEW new stuff too, as the dice are all being rerolled.
I get it.
But at least some things would be ‘repeats’ and you’d feel weird while everyone was flipping out over the Walkman , let’s say.

I guess I am just pointing out how it could be maddening to relive it all.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I believe it was Coop that said to one of his kids (although he was talking about the new versions)...

"XCOM Baby!"

THE Original.

I was playing the GOG version again just last week, and it still brings on the tension!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:59 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 pm

well of course I haven’t.
And theoretically there would be NEW new stuff too, as the dice are all being rerolled.
I get it.
But at least some things would be ‘repeats’ and you’d feel weird while everyone was flipping out over the Walkman , let’s say.

I guess I am just pointing out how it could be maddening to relive it all.
Actually now that I know what i would like to study and the things that were of interest that I never had time for not only would I be able to become more well rounded I would also get a chance to work through my book backlog which is now several lifetimes long. I might even be able to make it through my Steam backlog. I just wonder how parents would put up with a 6 year old with 64 years of living experience...now that one is tough.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Wizard's Crown by SSI - easy win

XCOM runner up
Natuk 3rd place

Interestingly, two of these games I knew almost nothing about before purchase. I didn't know what to expect, I only had the information on the box at my disposal. I don't buy games this way anymore - it was a low percentage system. Probably why I remember the good games I bought that way so fondly.

What is it:
Wizard's Crown was an early turn-based CRPG. Little things about the world impressed me so much:
  • My party getting our shields broken by giants (ogres?) who wielded big hammers.
  • An in-game reference to the Rabbit of Caerbannog (Monty Python) if memory serves.
  • The way using a skill would build up that skill
  • Skills could be across class but at a point penalty
This was all pre gold box (for me at least) so even the ability to create my own party was wonderful. I felt (feel) that the skill system was superior to DnD. The epiphany was profound - like the first time I saw an Akira Kurosawa film; it just felt correct.

I think some crush/pre-girlfriend or other had quit me at the time and this game came along just in time to divert my attention. Note: computer games were not a way to meet ladies in the 80's.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I'm saying XCOM as well. That was the grandaddy of amazement for me.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am not sure what game would I want to replay for the first time. My first answer was Starflight, but I am not certain about that answer.

There are more than a few games that I wished hadn't gone away. Just reading through my own FAQs reminded me of a lot of games that never really got their due, or could be better if they just fixed X, and so on. But we're not really talking about that.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doctor.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

:lol: :dance:
Haranguer

Post by Haranguer »

In addition to Skyrim probably Witcher 3.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Wow, this is tough. For instance, XCom2 is a major favorite of mine and the first time through is just the best, but replays are still pretty damn fun. In fact, my second playthrough on veteran HC was just epic and more memorable than my first playthrough. I saw someone mention Ultima IV. For me Ultima V brings back great memories and was one of the first games I thought of. KOTOR would be pretty good as the Revan reveal is a favorite gaming memory.

In the end, however, I have to echo the sentiments of many others: Witcher 3. A really fun game, obviously made with great care and love of the source material. Top 3 favorite of all time. I have started to replay on a couple of occasions, but it's just not the same when you know what's coming from the quests. The sense of discovery in an RPG is just so important.