Nintendo Switch - improve TV output quality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ChuckB

Nintendo Switch - improve TV output quality?

Post by ChuckB »

Hi,

I have the Nintendo Switch dock connected to my Sony 55in TV (it's a 4k TV, XBR-55X850D). I tried to play around with the settings but I don't like the quality of the image, it looks fuzzy and the bright colors somewhat "bleed" into the dark background. I realize that the TV output of the Switch is only 1080p, so this may be a "normal" scaling issue (and I also know that image of my Playstation 4 Pro will always look so much better because it is in 4k) but if anyone has any idea on how to improve/optimize the image quality of the Switch output, that would be great!

Chruck
morlac

Re: Nintendo Switch - improve TV output quality?

Post by morlac »

This is usually dependent on the TV and can vary wildly because of that but.....

1. Do you have a gaming mode for your tv? turn it on for the input the Switch is in
2. Try turning down the sharpness, even to 0 depending o nthe TV
3. turn off HDR mode if it is i on
4. Fully calibrate your TV, they come out of the box setup like shit...this just baffles me (smooth motion for example, etc.) I have customized settings for "game mode" even. and different ones for each device Xbox vs Switch. I am a settings obsessive tweaker though. go here , find your tv and look for settings guide: https://www.rtings.com/tv

You may just be out of luck, Some TV's are just better at upscaling than others and some are better at gaming than others.
morlac

Post by morlac »

to add:

The Switch UI is at 720p and hard locked. Games will go to 1080 p but the UI never will.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Thanks a lot for the tips - will try and report back! I probably tend to use the sharpness too much, will definitely look into this. HDR is off (I set this HDMI input to the "basic" setting that would not support 4k and HDR. I remember I switched off smooth motion, I believe. Good top regarding Switch UI, it looks especially fuzzy and now I know why, should NOT use this for tweaking. Not sure which game would be best, though. I tried Breath of the Wild but the comic looks doesn't make it easier, especially when it comes to colors