What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am Ok. That helps. Any suggestions on fun classes to play? My main alt was a Demon Hunter. Haven't really tried anything else yet.
They are all worthwhile. This is my rough order of preference, but it can change on a whim.

Wizard > Barbarian > Necromancer > Witch Doctor > Demon Hunter > Monk > Crusader
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got just over 14 hours into the FF VII Remake. I haven't spent that much time in a single weekend in a damn long time.

It's an absolutely wonderful game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This weekend I trpiled my finshed games for 2020.

Played through SUPERHOT, a good combination of fun and frustration. I wish I could get my hands on a VR solution... been waiting on Rift S availability.

Played through Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts. It gave me a level of satisfaction Hitman 2 failed to hit. The "realistic" sniping was nice. I completed a region only using my knife just for an extra bit of challenge (and to get 3 upgrade points).

I started Bard's Tale IV Director's Cut last night. It has been fun so far, a lot less of a brain-burner than Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am Ok. That helps. Any suggestions on fun classes to play? My main alt was a Demon Hunter. Haven't really tried anything else yet.
DH is definitely a good place to start. Very easy to play. Several fun builds. Pretty decent survivability.
Barbarian has some extremely easy builds that are really powerful. (Late game, of course.) Getting the Rend/Whirlwind build going feels like cheating. Also, very good survivability.
Monk has some fun options. And benefits from the 30% damage reduction of the other melee classes.
Witch Doctor is good. I like having the pets. It makes the class feel more survivable than the Wizard.
Wizard can be good, but feels much more like a pure DPS/glass cannon. So it can be tough to survive at times. Probably best left until you have a bit more experience (or talk to coop - he likes Wizards).
I never got into the Crusader. I felt the class was pretty 'meh'.
Necromancer.... I never played the class a ton. A couple builds are really strong. I just never got into some of the others.

Also, I should say that I don't like "fiddly" builds much. I like things simple. For example, one of the Wizard builds relies on rotating between the elements to get the best damage buff going. So you have to be cycling through 4 different skills on a frequent basis. Or the Barbarian Furious Charge build that becomes dead in the water if you don't make sure to always hit a specific number of mobs.

I'd say any of the classes will probably get your through to 70 at Torment 1.

I have 2 of every class. And most of them are spec'd for 2 of the class sets. So I've pretty much played every class and every spec.

So... back to the recommendation...

You've already got a ranged class. If you want to try a "melee" class, I'd suggest the Barbarian or the Monk. If you think you'd like to try pets, maybe the Witch Doctor or the Necromancer. If you want another ranged class, but one that uses spells, you could try the Wizard, but expect to die a bit more. Especially if you are pushing the difficulty cap. Or maybe go with a Witch Doctor that casts more (but keep a pet or two for some added help).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's the fun with the wizard, the full glass cannon build kills everything instantly but if you stub your toe, you're dead.

WW Barb is more survivable but it takes two instants to kill elite groups rather one. Who has time for that!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:10 pm That's the fun with the wizard, the full glass cannon build kills everything instantly but if you stub your toe, you're dead.

WW Barb is more survivable but it takes two instants to kill elite groups rather one. Who has time for that!
To be clear, are you referring to the WW Barb, or the Rend/WW Barb? The latter is new. And freakin' awesome. The WW build itself is very mediocre. It can take ages to kill stuff. With the changes to the Rend build, it's become a joy to play. Also, it's very easy on the hands and wrists. Very little button pushing. Just hold the WW button and move around the screen. The biggest annoyance is having to go back and pick up loot 5 screens away because you were so busy blowing stuff up. I'll also add that I completed a 100 GR with the Rend/WW Barb. Maybe even one or two higher than that, I'd have to check. I never came close with any other build. And until I got into the mid-90s, it was easy sailing.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, the WW/Rend Wrath of the Wastes set is what got me back into Barbarians. I kind of abandoned Barb for Wizard a long time ago because melting all the enemies across the entire screen at once is hard to beat, but the insta-bleed everything barb made it fun again.

I've never gotten an extra stash tab because I don't have patience to go that deep in the season. The sheer repetition requires to pump gems up makes me want to play something else. Up to that point, I still enjoy it. I haven't hopped on the latest season, but now that I am typing this I am thinking about it. It's annoying now that I have to keep deleting/rebirthing characters to start a new season character.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't played D3 in awhile but all this talk got me back in. I rolled up a Season 20 Monk, since it's the only class I never played to any extent. Having a lot of fun so far just running through Adventure Mode.

I don't know much about endgame and various builds, and honestly I doubt it will keep my attention enough for me to go down that rabbit hole. But it's a good diversion.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:10 pm That's the fun with the wizard, the full glass cannon build kills everything instantly but if you stub your toe, you're dead.
It's been a bit since I played, but I did a wizard one of the seasons where Tal Rasha's set was available, and that build felt like the epitome of the full glass cannon, high DPS/die instantly build. I think I got to the T6/T7 or so area where I could maul stuff solo comfortably. Beyond that, the high DPS didn't overcome my inability to stay alive if I wasn't spamming meteors and lightning everywhere.
Hodor.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:36 pm
It's been a bit since I played, but I did a wizard one of the seasons where Tal Rasha's set was available, and that build felt like the epitome of the full glass cannon, high DPS/die instantly build. I think I got to the T6/T7 or so area where I could maul stuff solo comfortably. Beyond that, the high DPS didn't overcome my inability to stay alive if I wasn't spamming meteors and lightning everywhere.
Ah. Right. Good point. I should have clarified my comments. I'm playing (or trying) to play all my characters/builds at T16, or at least T14. If you are playing at a lower level, then the Wizard can be a blast. Where I struggled was at the top tiers.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The Archon build isn't too bad if you can keep 100%, or near 100%, uptime.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm actually a little tempted to jump back in. I ran a monk last season, skipped the one before that, and ran a barb on the season before that. I've been thinking about trying something different, maybe a wizard, necromancer, or witch doctor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Storms knocked out our cable and internet Sunday so I have been playing what I already had installed. Started Civ VI, playing as Germans and I'm neighbors and buddies with 'merica right next door. It is now the 1940s, and I'm having an itch for expansion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lassr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:11 am Storms knocked out our cable and internet Sunday so I have been playing what I already had installed. Started Civ VI, playing as Germans and I'm neighbors and buddies with 'merica right next door. It is now the 1940s, and I'm having an itch for expansion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It's not really a spoiler, but I wouldn't start a war with Russia.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This year I've been watching a lot of videos on CIV 6 by an Irish fella names potatomcwhiskey.
He does go into a lot of details about his games.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Finished up Mad Max yesterday. It was pretty fun, although I wish there was a little more focus on wasteland car battles and a little more feeling of "wasteland survival". Half of the car upgrades are kind of superflous (why bother with the ramming grill in the front when you can just use the upgraded thunder harpoons to blow up any car in one hit). Meanwhile, your car doesn't really have the endurance for protracted ramming fights, anyway. For me, the highlights of the game involved convoy attacks and just driving around (along the flatter sections of the wasteland so I could gawk at the scenery). I really got a kick out of the idea that part of the game takes part on a dried out ocean shelf, and the big desert area in the northeast was pretty amazing as well.

And one time, I accidentally ran over one of those wasteland info guys. Whoops.

Imagine if the game was more like Fury Road. Fury Road was a very efficient movie. Ten-fifteen minutes of compressed exposition at the beginning (and even that has a bunch of action), and then you go straight into an hour and a half of basically non-stop wasteland car combat and ass kicking. Here's a few of things that Fury Road didn't have that the game could have taken an example from and omitted as well:

- Max parking outside a camp full of bad guys and harpooning them all one by one as they stand still
- Max getting out of the car every five seconds to walk into some random person's plane wreck, murder them and take their stuff
- GPS navigation
- Water pipes, food and fuel tanks generously and strategically scattered throughout the wasteland
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Speaking of RPGs with tactical combat (ok that was actually in the XCOM: Chimera thread but whatever) I have been playing Bard's Tale 4 Director's Cut and having some fun with it. The combat is oddly satisfying and the puzzles are... well... a bit easy, but still fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Started playing my free version of ticket to ride from Epic. It's surprisingly addictive.
st_dysan

Post by st_dysan »

Have such a huge backlog...

Played Wolcen until they patched it where it won't run anymore.

Also back to AC Odyssey and cleaning up some random quests.

I have MW5 I need to get into to as well as Battletech to finish.
The Saint
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

st_dysan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 pm Played Wolcen until they patched it where it won't run anymore.
When did that happen? Shame that game was such a shitshow, as it seemed to have a ton of potential.

I'm still pissed I let my friend talk me into re-buying it after I had already done a Steam return.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

just remembered I still had an EPIC $10 coupon from the holiday sale saw so i bought State of Decay 2 with $10 off. Probably load it up and start playing while waiting on the new XCOM.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Finished:

Red Dead Redemption 2 except for
Spoiler:
The epilogue. I'm not shoveling shit. Not sure what they were doing with this.
Control. Great gameplay, but got a bit repetitive at the end. Still fantastic game.

Still playing:
Darksiders: Genesis. Bought this after the shitshow that was Wolcen, which is shelved for now.
AOW Planetfall
Battlestar Galatica
TW: Warhammer 2.
Battlefront 2

Later this month:
XCom Chimera
Gears Tactics
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Been playing more God of War. The boss fight with the dragon at the top of the mountain in Midgard is epic as hell, and everything I could ever want out of a God of War game.

As a result of side quests I was also able to unlock Muspelheim. Tried a couple of challenges in the arenas there, and holy crap are they hard. Not sure I'll be able to kill the valkyrie waiting for the at the end at my current level.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Both FIFA 20 and Skyrim were 60% off on PS4 yesterday, so I now have both.

It's been 3-4 years since I've played a FIFA game. As someone who typically doesn't spend much time with sports games, it's surprisingly fun.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Speaking of PS4 games, my friends and I have rediscovered the hilarity of HellDivers. So we're playing that again, if anyone wants to join in. I've also discovered 3on3freestyle, which is a free to play PS4 (and XB1) game of arcade style street basketball. I'd be up for playing with other people, especially if we can play 3 of us together vs. another 3 online.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:59 pm Been playing more God of War. The boss fight with the dragon at the top of the mountain in Midgard is epic as hell, and everything I could ever want out of a God of War game.

As a result of side quests I was also able to unlock Muspelheim. Tried a couple of challenges in the arenas there, and holy crap are they hard. Not sure I'll be able to kill the valkyrie waiting for the at the end at my current level.
Yep, I played that last year, and the game is epic as heck. The boss battles aren't too difficult if you know what you're doing by figuring out their attack patterns, and the transisitions are very fluid between gameplay and cinematics. Makes me feel like we need a God of War movie :D Storyline is very well done too, very touching. I'm not normally into those kinds of games, but all in all, it was a nice package that was nicely balanced out.

I think I only beat one of the Valkyries, and after that they'd always wipe the floor with me, so I never really went back to try and fight them.
Jag wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 am Finished:

Red Dead Redemption 2 except for
Spoiler:
The epilogue. I'm not shoveling shit. Not sure what they were doing with this.
Spoiler:
You'll eventually want to, I think. The whole thing nicely leads up to the first game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still chugging away on my Monk in Diablo 4, but I recently restarted THE WITCHER 3. Never finished it, in fact never got more than 4 hours into it. Figured now would be the perfect time to deep dive back in.

My biggest problem with the game was my suckitude at combat, but oddly enough I'm finding the combat easier with a mouse/keyboard than I did with the Xbox controller.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am Both FIFA 20 and Skyrim were 60% off on PS4 yesterday, so I now have both.

It's been 3-4 years since I've played a FIFA game. As someone who typically doesn't spend much time with sports games, it's surprisingly fun.
On Fifa I rotate between my FUT team and I also have a career as a forward where I only play as my character. I think both modes are great.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Update
Scraper wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am So far I have racked up:

Borderlands the Pre Sequel (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 3 Moxxi DLC and Sir Hammerlock DLC (finished both on PS4)
Fifa 20 (I'm working on both my career as a forward for the Crew and my FUT)
Far Cry New Dawn (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 1 (I bought this because it was on sale and I didn't have it on PS4)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Playing this when my kids let go of the Switch, which isn't very often)
Control (I got to what I think is the final boss, wiped a couple of times, finally beat him only to have the game crash, this happened to me twice in a row. I haven't gone back and probably won't)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Finished it)
FTE
raydude

Post by raydude »

Playing more 3on3 freestyle basketball on PS4. I got over my fear of playing vs people, especially in 1v1- it's not nearly as stressful as playing fighting games and I'm finding that using actual basketball strategies really works. In 1v1 I guard my man, pass the ball around, don't rush, find the open man, and let him shoot. Same thing in 3v3 when I'm matched up against randos.

I've played 5 3v3 casual games now and lost once against a team of 3 that knew what they were doing with respect to basketball strategies. For the most part though the randos tend to gang up on the ball handler, leaving someone wide open. I tend to guard my man, especially if he has the ball or is hovering near the basket. I've also found my niche as the playmaker - dishing the ball out to folks who are open when the D collapses on me, or setting a screen so the ball handler has an open lane.

I suspect ranked games are harder but I wouldn't know, as that part of the game isn't open to me yet.
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 am My biggest problem with the game was my suckitude at combat, but oddly enough I'm finding the combat easier with a mouse/keyboard than I did with the Xbox controller.
I had completely the opposite experience! I found the combat unplayable with a mouse and keyboard. Too funny! The game is absolutely awesome though. I really need to do a replay since I own but haven't played the DLC which everyone raves about.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 am I really need to do a replay since I own but haven't played the DLC which everyone raves about.
I've tried 4 times now to get back into Witcher 3. I beat it when it came out, but got the super-shitty ending and always get the urge to try it again and see if I can do better. Plus, I've never done the DLC.

Every time, I get 6-8 hours into the main story, and wander off to something else. I suppose I could just start with the DLC, but I feel like I'd be missing a ton of stuff that I don't remember from the main game if I do.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah I have resisted the replay because I want the main quest to be as fresh as possible. I got a middling ending that I also would like to improve on.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm not sure which ending I got, but it certainly wasn't the worse one. I will say that the Blood & Wine expansion is pretty great. It's a completely separate story, but the area it takes place has a different feel than the areas of the main story (it's very bright and colorful, for one). And you definitely get your money's worth - I think it took my 20+ hours to beat it. The other expansion has an interesting story, but is relatively short (~ 7 - 8 hours, I think). I wouldn't describe it as essential, but I had fun with it.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 am I'm not sure which ending I got, but it certainly wasn't the worse one.
I got this one, for very similar reasons as the author.

Thought I was doing well in supporting Ciri. Turns out...not so much.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:01 pm
pr0ner wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:59 pm Been playing more God of War. The boss fight with the dragon at the top of the mountain in Midgard is epic as hell, and everything I could ever want out of a God of War game.

Yep, I played that last year, and the game is epic as heck. The boss battles aren't too difficult if you know what you're doing by figuring out their attack patterns, and the transisitions are very fluid between gameplay and cinematics. Makes me feel like we need a God of War movie :D Storyline is very well done too, very touching. I'm not normally into those kinds of games, but all in all, it was a nice package that was nicely balanced out.

I think I only beat one of the Valkyries, and after that they'd always wipe the floor with me, so I never really went back to try and fight them.
I wonder if I might not be a little overpowered for where I am in the main story, because I fought Thor's sons as part of the Magic Chisel main story quest, and they weren't overly difficult. Between Wrath of the Frost Ancient and Murder of Crows, it was easy to deal massive amounts of damage quickly against both of them.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:53 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 am I'm not sure which ending I got, but it certainly wasn't the worse one.
I got this one, for very similar reasons as the author.

Thought I was doing well in supporting Ciri. Turns out...not so much.
Oof. I got the
Spoiler:
Ciri becomes a witcher ending, which I know might technically not be the best, but I never felt like she should've been the emperor anyway. So I'm considering it the best ending. :snooty:
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 am

I wonder if I might not be a little overpowered for where I am in the main story, because I fought Thor's sons as part of the Magic Chisel main story quest, and they weren't overly difficult. Between Wrath of the Frost Ancient and Murder of Crows, it was easy to deal massive amounts of damage quickly against both of them.
FWIW, as long as I was at least the right level, I never found things particularly hard as far as things go with the main quest. The game relies much less on levels and more on the armor that you're wearing as well as enchantments on your weapons. I see levels more as suggestions and as to when things open up.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:10 pm

FWIW, as long as I was at least the right level, I never found things particularly hard as far as things go with the main quest. The game relies much less on levels and more on the armor that you're wearing as well as enchantments on your weapons. I see levels more as suggestions and as to when things open up.
Yeah, I do see what you're saying. Outside of the first couple boss fights when I first started and was figuring out combat, and a couple of rift tears, I haven't struggled with combat or staying alive during this part of the game, other than in Muspelheim.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:19 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Yeah, I do see what you're saying. Outside of the first couple boss fights when I first started and was figuring out combat, and a couple of rift tears, I haven't struggled with combat or staying alive during this part of the game, other than in Muspelheim.
That's one of the bonus worlds, isn't it? I know there are two worlds that don't factor into the main story and are just there as a series of challenges, but you do have to unlock them via a series of objectives. One of them is a maze full of poison, making for pretty hectic battles, making them a puzzle on how to tackle them and getting out to the next checkpoint. Those are definitely harder than most of the game. Once I realized what that world was going to be like, I tried it out a few times but never went back. That said, I do like the combat in this game. The bosses feel more like puzzles than outright difficulty, and when you beat them it's quite satisfying. I'd be in for a sequel in the same vein following on the events from this one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti