What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by coopasonic »

Finally went back and played the Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn... now that I have successfully made that return trip, I loaded up RDR2 this morning and continued from where I left off. Completed a couple of missions after a little work to figure out the controls. I'm going to try to just main line the story missions to the end just so I can call it done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am Finally went back and played the Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn... now that I have successfully made that return trip, I loaded up RDR2 this morning and continued from where I left off. Completed a couple of missions after a little work to figure out the controls. I'm going to try to just main line the story missions to the end just so I can call it done.
I did the exact same thing with RDR2 yesterday. My continue spot was only about 25% completion, so I have a long way to go still, but I took a 1 year break from the game.
FTE
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I couldn't play anything else while playing RDR2. The controls were so 'unique' that playing anything else lead to a comedy of errors.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:23 pm I couldn't play anything else while playing RDR2. The controls were so 'unique' that playing anything else lead to a comedy of errors.
I actually played the tutorial section all over again on Sunday, just so I could relearn the controls.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am Finally went back and played the Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon Zero Dawn... now that I have successfully made that return trip, I loaded up RDR2 this morning and continued from where I left off. Completed a couple of missions after a little work to figure out the controls. I'm going to try to just main line the story missions to the end just so I can call it done.
I did the exact same thing with RDR2 yesterday. My continue spot was only about 25% completion, so I have a long way to go still, but I took a 1 year break from the game.
I think I was around 43% total completion and a little lower story completion. I have only played for like two hours but I've knocked out like 5 more missions so it's going at a pretty good pace. I was able to get the controls pretty quickly. I think the hard part was convincing my brain that there wasn't a map shortcut and I have to go to the options menu every damn time. I still hate how damn slowly the gang walks around.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

*Mosey
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm*Mosey
I don't know the period appropriate way to smack you in the back of the head.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:23 pm*Mosey
I don't know the period appropriate way to smack you in the back of the head.
The funny thing is that he'll probably help you out with that too. He can't help it. It's in his programming. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, reviews are all over the place for Ghost of Tsushima (PS4). They all agree it looks incredible, but some reviews say it’s a boring open-world collect-a-thon slog with no real story, while others say it’s fantastic and compelling throughout.

I’m so on the fence...

EDIT: I think ACGs review has pushed me towards buying it. I love the feudal Japan setting and am a sucker for samurai and/or ninja games. If nothing else, it looks amazing.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Without having watched it yet, I'm betting ACG says the graphics are just wonderful except...one or two incredibly minor nitpicks that nobody would ever notice if he hadn't mentioned? :roll: I do generally trust what he says gameplay-wise though, I think he's definitely one of the better reviewers.

This game looks stunning to me. I thought I was more or less done with console games this gen, but I'm very tempted to get this.
I no longer post here.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:38 am Without having watched it yet, I'm betting ACG says the graphics are just wonderful except...one or two incredibly minor nitpicks that nobody would ever notice if he hadn't mentioned?
I never understand half of what he says when it comes to graphics anyways, it all sounds like a bunch of random graphics buzzwords strung together.

"When running at 1080p with a 60 FPS frame rate the ambient occlusion sometimes causes vertical sync screen tearing when passed through the horizontal refraction filters but only when the tesselation is high enough that the antialiasing can compensate for the game's inherent lack of raytraced post-processing, which is great if you're running at 720p of course, but resolutions higher than what the motion blur texture pop-in can support will cause some obvious layered pixelation filters that cause the game to occasionally dip below it's intended 30fps with a 480 differential resolution."

So...it's pretty?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 am Man, reviews are all over the place for Ghost of Tsushima (PS4). They all agree it looks incredible, but some reviews say it’s a boring open-world collect-a-thon slog with no real story, while others say it’s fantastic and compelling throughout.

I’m so on the fence...

EDIT: I think ACGs review has pushed me towards buying it. I love the feudal Japan setting and am a sucker for samurai and/or ninja games. If nothing else, it looks amazing.

I must have been under a big pile of rocks because I only heard about this game recently. As some reviewers have said it does sound like Assassins Creed in Japan. I can get behind that and ended up pre ordering it. I think it unlocks at midnight so if I’m awake I might have to start playing!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:25 pm
I think I was around 43% total completion and a little lower story completion. I have only played for like two hours but I've knocked out like 5 more missions so it's going at a pretty good pace. I was able to get the controls pretty quickly. I think the hard part was convincing my brain that there wasn't a map shortcut and I have to go to the options menu every damn time. I still hate how damn slowly the gang walks around.
and RDR2 is done, next up on my "PS4 Finish it Up Tour" is God of War. With that I think I will have completed all of the PS4 must play games and will be ready for PS5.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Warhammer Inquisitor had a massive update and added seasons with some fun ways to do things so that has occupied me recently. They really upgraded the Psyker and my seasonal Psyker is walking tsunami of destruction.

I continue to play the game of buying games to add to my backlog. I kick major ass at this game.
raydude

Post by raydude »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:38 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 am Man, reviews are all over the place for Ghost of Tsushima (PS4). They all agree it looks incredible, but some reviews say it’s a boring open-world collect-a-thon slog with no real story, while others say it’s fantastic and compelling throughout.

I’m so on the fence...

I must have been under a big pile of rocks because I only heard about this game recently. As some reviewers have said it does sound like Assassins Creed in Japan. I can get behind that and ended up pre ordering it. I think it unlocks at midnight so if I’m awake I might have to start playing!
What sells me on it is the combat that I've seen. I regret missing out on playing Bushido Blade on the PlayStation; a 3D fighting game where fighters armed with swords kill each other in one or two hits. I haven't seen a remake of Bushido Blade but the samurai callouts on Ghost of Tsushima and the ability to draw and kill your opponent in one hit seems to be the next best thing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

raydude wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 am What sells me on it is the combat that I've seen. I regret missing out on playing Bushido Blade on the PlayStation; a 3D fighting game where fighters armed with swords kill each other in one or two hits. I haven't seen a remake of Bushido Blade but the samurai callouts on Ghost of Tsushima and the ability to draw and kill your opponent in one hit seems to be the next best thing.
I'm intrigued by that aspect as well. Bit the bullet this morning, downloading it now.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It hasn't really hit my radar and I don't really know why. I watched a little gameplay on twitch this morning and that didn't make me any more interested. It did remind me that I still need to pick up Nioh 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:07 am
and RDR2 is done, next up on my "PS4 Finish it Up Tour" is God of War. With that I think I will have completed all of the PS4 must play games and will be ready for PS5.
you make it sound like a job. a not very fun one, at that.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Trying to get into the new Battletech. But man it's a slog. The load times are ridiculous. Also not enjoying the constant overwhelming odds. Latest fight is listed as a 2 difficulty. I have 2 medium and 2 heavy mechs. The enemy has at least 8 mechs plus another 6+ turrets. And I have to fight them all at once, not staggered. I was doing 2 difficulties with just mediums and lights before. This fight would be over in the first couple of rounds if I tried that. :cry:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:32 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:07 am
you make it sound like a job. a not very fun one, at that.
I mean it kind of is. This is my list of shame. Highly rated games that I walked away from for unknown reasons. I mean I enjoyed finishing up RDR2 but I *was* only playing it to finish it. Anyway as jobs go, it's a pretty good one. :D

I looked at the RDR2 thread and my last post in that thread said I was really enjoying it... and then nothing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Plopped down in the foambag chair for some PS4 time. Saw that Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far was in the drive, and really didn't want to play that. MLB is still installed from disc, so I can't play that without replacing the disc.

So I fired up SW: Battlefront 2 for the first time. Played through the first six missions on the campaign this evening, and had a good deal of fun. No clue as to whether it will gert any playtime after that, but I guess we'll see.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Played the first bit of another Chinese martial arts RPG - Tales of Hongyuan. The very linear and has a gameplay model that I hate. I have no real decisions to make and combat is attrition. Yet I have to explore everywhere as there is hidden loot and my guess is that the game is balanced assuming that you have found all of the hidden loot. This is just the tutorial area so maybe it will get better. I left it installed for now.

Switched over to Underrail. I played for a while 3 or 4 years ago but didn't get too far. It's the opposite of Tales of Hongyuan; tons of choices in building your character, where to go, and what to do. The inventory management is annoying since I can't help but want to craft tons of stuff but it's up there with Caves of Qud as far as sucking me in and making me think about character builds. I'm doing my default run of sneaky bastard first but I keep thinking about how to build a shotgun/psi wielding in your face type of guy.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am
Scraper wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am Here's my latest update:

Splitting into finished during quarantine and still working on:

Finished:
Borderlands the Pre Sequel (Beat it on PS4 with Athena)
Borderlands 3 Moxxi DLC and Sir Hammerlock DLC and the Western one (finished both on PS4)
Far Cry New Dawn (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 1 (Beat the main campaign with Lilith)
Control (I got to what I think is the final boss, wiped a couple of times, finally beat him only to have the game crash, this happened to me twice in a row. I haven't gone back and probably won't)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Finished it)
Far Cry 3 on PS4 (finished it and got the Platinum)
Assassin's Creed 2 on PS4
Bard's Tale 4 Director's Edition on PS4
Red Dead 2
Star Wars: Fallen Order

Still working on:
The Last of Us 2
Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered on Switch
Fifa 20 (I'm working on both my career as a forward for the Crew and my FUT)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Playing this when my kids let go of the Switch, which isn't very often)
Last edited by Scraper on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

while Lara Croft GO has an apparently bigger development budget and play length than Hitman GO, the latter has tougher challenges. i never played the mobile originals, so i'm going with the Steam ports.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For the last week or two I've been playing No Man's Sky. This is my fourth attempt, and I'm finally enjoying myself. The grind has been reduced, base building is way less fiddly, and I haven't hit the kind of bugs that really threw the game off for me before. I'm probably 25 hours in with a base, three ships, and a freighter, and I doubt I've been more than two or three jumps from my 'home' system.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My son downloaded Forager which just released on Xbox Game Pass, and we're totally hooked. It's a retro-style 2D survival/crafting sim that borrows heavily from other games in the genre. White it has the familiar "grind" aspect of mining X so you can build Y which is required to build Z, the skill progression gives it an RPG quality that is super addictive.

Every level you can drop a skill point into a new skill, but it's sort of like Civilization in that each skill point opens up entire branching trees of technology. All the skills are useful, so no matter what you choose it's really rewarding to explore the benefits while you level up to the next one.

One big aspect of the game is obtaining money to buy new plots of land. You start out on one little island, but have the option to buy new islands and build bridges over to them. These islands are randomly generated, so you never really know what you're going to get.

It's an ingenuous little example of how good game design trumps high end graphics. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy those types of games.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am
It's an ingenuous little example of how good game design trumps high end graphics.
i feel... this is 100% always the case, never an exception. the fact that so many big-budget games do the exact opposite explains why i've gone almost exclusively indie and homebrew scene over the past decade.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finally finished RDRD2 this morning. That game was so frustrating, because it was good, but so many of the design decisions really drug it down and the story length was way way too long. The Prologue really should have been optional DLC. I mean you play a game for 60 hours and the story ends. But not really because the devs decide to tack on another 10 hours for a prologue with a different character which equals 50% farm sim and 50% killing. As much as I liked the game I could not wait for it to be over. And holding up on the left joystick and then hitting x to build a fence is not fun.

By the time I got to chapter 5 I stopped doing all of the side missions and optional content. I just wanted to be done.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished my Madden 20 season today, winning the Super Bowl with KC. I have the same problem with this one as I do with most sports games. Playing on the default level, I can win every game by three TD's. Bumping it up one difficulty notch means I lose every game by 5 TD's. I can never really seem to find a middle ground, but I'm also not really willing to learn the bazillion ins and outs of the game to be successful. It was fun for a sports fix in the current non sports world, but I'm not sure I would have finished it otherwise.

It remained wildly unrealistic throughout. I threw one INT the entire year. I fumbled the ball once the entire year (in the last game). I only saw three penalties called: face mask (which was called 5-6 times every game, and always on the opponent. I didn't get called for it once all season), pass interference, and ineligible receiver downfield (which was also called at least 3 times a game). It just got kinda silly towards the end, tbh.

Also, I played against the Browns in the AFC title game, so you know the game isn't big on realism. ;)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 am Finished my Madden 20 season today, winning the Super Bowl with KC. I have the same problem with this one as I do with most sports games. Playing on the default level, I can win every game by three TD's. Bumping it up one difficulty notch means I lose every game by 5 TD's. I can never really seem to find a middle ground, but I'm also not really willing to learn the bazillion ins and outs of the game to be successful. It was fun for a sports fix in the current non sports world, but I'm not sure I would have finished it otherwise.

It remained wildly unrealistic throughout. I threw one INT the entire year. I fumbled the ball once the entire year (in the last game). I only saw three penalties called: face mask (which was called 5-6 times every game, and always on the opponent. I didn't get called for it once all season), pass interference, and ineligible receiver downfield (which was also called at least 3 times a game). It just got kinda silly towards the end, tbh.

Also, I played against the Browns in the AFC title game, so you know the game isn't big on realism. ;)
Hey this is the Browns year. (Being said by a Browns fan, who has literally said that every year since 2001).
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally started playing Nioh 2 this morning. I was a big fan of Nioh. I appear to really suck at Nioh 2. Like a lot. It feels like they expect me to be as good as I was the day I finished the original at the start of this one. Ouch.

Also, how have I never heard of the term masocore (Masochist/Hardcore) before despite being a fan of masocore games for years?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 am Finished my Madden 20 season today, winning the Super Bowl with KC. I have the same problem with this one as I do with most sports games. Playing on the default level, I can win every game by three TD's. Bumping it up one difficulty notch means I lose every game by 5 TD's. I can never really seem to find a middle ground, but I'm also not really willing to learn the bazillion ins and outs of the game to be successful. It was fun for a sports fix in the current non sports world, but I'm not sure I would have finished it otherwise.

https://realsport101.com/madden/madden- ... ster-1-14/
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am
Scraper wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:25 am Here's my latest update:

Splitting into finished during quarantine and still working on:

Finished:
Borderlands the Pre Sequel (Beat it on PS4 with Athena)
Borderlands 3 Moxxi DLC and Sir Hammerlock DLC and the Western one (finished both on PS4)
Far Cry New Dawn (Beat it on PS4)
Borderlands 1 (Beat the main campaign with Lilith)
Control (I got to what I think is the final boss, wiped a couple of times, finally beat him only to have the game crash, this happened to me twice in a row. I haven't gone back and probably won't)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Finished it)
Far Cry 3 on PS4 (finished it and got the Platinum)
Assassin's Creed 2 on PS4
Bard's Tale 4 Director's Edition on PS4
Red Dead 2
Star Wars: Fallen Order

Still working on:
The Last of Us 2
Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered on Switch
Fifa 20 (I'm working on both my career as a forward for the Crew and my FUT)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Playing this when my kids let go of the Switch, which isn't very often)
I beat Star Wars Fallen Order over the weekend. It was a decent game, it's sort of a mash up of Tomb Raider, Dark Souls and God War, but not as good as any of those games. The Star Wars license really helped the game out and I was actually really invested in the story. The game was short though. I would estimate it took me about 15 hours to beat it.

Now on to The Last of Us 2.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It’s strange how games can so randomly get such strong hooks in me. I’ve been replaying Dragon Age Inquisition for the past couple weeks. Started right before Ghost of Tsushima came out, and picked it back up after that wrapped,

In addition to simply being a fantastic game in general, it’s the perfect game for me right now. A deep, involving, well-written game that’s not too difficult, that gives me lots of things to do without feeling overwhelming, that has fun combat, and is incredibly satisfying to play.

I’ve tried restarting this game three times over the years, and never got out of The Hinterlands. This time, I’m about 35 hours in and still absolutely loving it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

looking to see if anyone wants to co-op in Remnant.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm looking to see if anyone wants to co-op in Remnant.
I've already done it all in co-op so probably not me, but just wanted to make sure people know Remnant is FREE on Epic Game Store through 8/20. It is a souls-like/masocore shooter with a lot more story than your typical Dark Souls game and it is a lot more approachable/easier than any of the souls games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Jumped back into FFXIV after a 8 month or so absence. I was hankering for an MMO after playing the beta for NEW WORLD and signed up for WoW for a month. While I had a bit of fun there, I really started to miss the complexity of the combat in FFXIV by comparison.

I never got into the Shadowbringers content (which is universally praised for its storyline), so I felt like that would be time better spent than diddling around in Azeroth. Having a lot of fun now that I'm back acclimated to the controls and my Dancer.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Instead of quitting the latest Diablo 3 season when I completed all the objectives on my monk, I instead rolled a barbarian and geared it, and now I'm starting on a demon hunter. I really don't understand why I'm not bored of this by now. :shock:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:05 am Jumped back into FFXIV after a 8 month or so absence. I was hankering for an MMO after playing the beta for NEW WORLD and signed up for WoW for a month. While I had a bit of fun there, I really started to miss the complexity of the combat in FFXIV by comparison.

I never got into the Shadowbringers content (which is universally praised for its storyline), so I felt like that would be time better spent than diddling around in Azeroth. Having a lot of fun now that I'm back acclimated to the controls and my Dancer.
I resubbed this week with the 5.3 patch. I’m regretting it a bit, as I’m still working through Dragon Age Inquisition, and there’s no way I can concentrate on two big RPGs at once. I should have waited until I finished DAI to resub.

Still, there’s lots of cool stuff to catch up on in FF XIV. The Nier dungeons are awesome, the new beast tribe stuff is neat, the new dungeons are well done, and the story remains strong.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been playing Dungeon Defenders (the original) the last couple weeks. I started it in coop with the LFG group (Brian, BadDemo, Ham Spade), but I started messing around solo and it really got it hooks in. I've just managed to get through the campaign on hard, and I've started a run on Insane. It's surprisingly fun, even solo.

I've also worked my way through the Metro games this year. I finished 2033 around the first of the year, played Last Light a couple of months ago, and I've been working my way through Metro Exodus over the past few weeks. This is a really, really huge game. And it does my favorite kind of 'open world': a linear set of wide open levels. I'm at the Caspian Sea right now, and I'm really enjoying myself. It gives the feeling of a post-humanity Earth far better than the Fallout games died. It's just crawling with atmosphere.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)