Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: What are you playing in quarantine? Also, MP invites here..

Post by TheMix »

Knocked out Singularity. Not too bad. I enjoyed it for what it was. But mostly I enjoyed it for being short. :D

Started Betrayer tonight. Interesting. There are some unusual things going on. I mostly like it so far. Though I'm wondering if I should have given it a bit of color when I started. It's a bit bleak. However, I think that's the look they wanted, so I'll keep running with it.
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My son and I have been playing through UNRAVELED 2 on Xbox Game Pass and man is it a fantastic co-op. You play two creatures made of yarn who are connected together, and you have to travel through side-scrolling levels solving puzzles. The game really demands that you work together, and the puzzles are a great mix of brain burners and action-platform timing. It's challenging but not so difficult that it's frustrating, and there's a great hint system if you get stuck.

We're going to hit the original game after this - we skipped to the sequel just because we wanted to try it and didn't expect to enjoy it as much as we did.

Also still grinding my way through AC: Valhalla, and also started GRIM DAWN again just because that's my comfort game I like to play when I don't feel like playing anything else. I tend to restart it every few months.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been playing XCOM TFTD lately. The Steam version works fairly well. Still a little bit twitchy making me very careful making my moves.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Alright, so now what? I've finished CP2077. While I'm still putting a lot of time into Stormworks, I need a second game. A couple of things on my radar that are wildly divergent:

Wasteland 3 - I really like RPGs and love me some tactical turn-based combat.
Godfall - initially panned, but a little bit of a revival. Looter-shooters are another genre I really like. Pursuing that great build appeals to me.
WoW - God save me, but... A couple years ago I poured some major time into the LOTRO legacy servers. It was just great. Now seems like a great time to get back into Wow, which I haven't played in probably 10 years.
Division 2 - back to the looter-shooter. This was my game of choice last spring. They've added a couple things since I left. I 'was' kinda waiting for Outriders, but now that is delayed I'm considering a return.

I'm genuinely looking for some advice, even for titles not on this list. Thanks!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sawyer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:03 am Alright, so now what? I've finished CP2077. While I'm still putting a lot of time into Stormworks, I need a second game. A couple of things on my radar that are wildly divergent:

I'm genuinely looking for some advice, even for titles not on this list. Thanks!
Divinity: Original Sin 2, because it's about as satisfying as RPG tactical turn-based combat gets. All the moreso if you're a seasoned grognard capable of taking on the 'Tactician' level of difficulty. If not, check out MajorSlack's series of Divinity: Original Sin 2 video walkthroughs and you'll be good to go.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’ve been playing Wasteland 3 lately; it’s a pretty good game. I can’t really give specifics as to why, but I’m finding it to be much more interesting than Wasteland 2 (which I never finished). Plus, it’s pretty bizarre and funny at times.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've recently put Cyberpunk 2077 on hiatus until it's got a few patches (I'm thinking six months), and I'm making good progress on Doom Eternal, with Horizon Zero Dawn going on the PS4 when Michelle is at work (IE - not using the TV.) I'd really like to add an RPG to the mix, something first or third person. I thought about Grimlock 2, but it's less an RPG and more a dungeon crawler (the actual roleplaying/story elements are thin.) I thought about Witcher 3, which I still haven't finished, but I'm not sure I want a second AC-style action/exploration game alongside Horizon Zero Dawn. Maybe it's time to take another carefully timed swing at Kingdom Come Deliverance? I was having a lot of fun with it early last year when the world went topsy turvy and I found it a bit too much to concentrate on.

Black Lives Matter
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Big thumbs up for KCD. That is a game made with some passion for the source material. The combat system is great one-on-one.

I've bounced off of Divine Divinity 2 on two occasions. Not exactly sure why as it should definitely be something I'm into.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm finally trying to get through Ittle Dew. i think i'm pretty close to the end of the game (it's not very long, maybe three hours if you don't take on every optional puzzle location - there is an achievement to finish it in 15 minutes), but i am wanting to take on the optional "Master Cave" puzzles which i think will take some time. charming and occasionally funny with real comedic timing, i like it enough that i purchased the sequel from Fanatical the other day.
Anonymous Bosch

Sawyer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm I've bounced off of Divine Divinity 2 on two occasions. Not exactly sure why as it should definitely be something I'm into.
I recognise what you're getting at. Divinity: Original Sin 2's depth and complexity does tend to demand a certain degree of dedication. Keeping up with all the quests, lore, inventory management, crafting recipes, and sheer depth of squad-based tactical combat options can present a significant challenge if you become distracted and happen to step away from playing the game for any significant period of time. But as complex and immersive as the game's systems are, committing to fully comprehend it pays off with immensely satisfying and rewarding gameplay (all the moreso if deep and often chaotic turn-based tactical combat appeals to you).
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -- Daniel Webster
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been in a bit of a gaming funk, so I decided to try something completely different. Picked up Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin on Monday and have spent the last few nights with it.

This is a interesting mash-up of JRPG, Vanillaware-ish side scroller beat-em-up, and in-depth rice farming sim. You play as Sakuna, a minor deity who is thrown out of the "Lofty Realm" (heaven) when she accidentally lets in a group of humans in a drunken stupor and they trash the place. As her penance, she and the humans are cast down to the "Lowly Realm" (Earth) to farm rice on a demon-infested island. She has to not only learn the ins and outs of rice farming, but is also tasked with clearing the island of demons. Along the way, she builds relationships with the humans and builds up her farm.

First impressions were fantastic and I really thought this was going to be a surprise hit. It's an interesting idea and absolutely oozes charm. The graphics are fantastic, the music is stellar, the writing and VO work are solid, and the characters are very interesting. The interactions and the dialog is very well done, and it's fun to watch the relationships build and learn more about the characters.

Unfortunately, the game simply tries to do too many things, and ends up not doing any of them particularly well. The side scrolling combat gets repetitive and grindy very early. You have two weapons (heavy and light) along with a grapple that you can use to swing around shielded enemies or reach new areas. The similar looking levels and only 3-4 enemy types don't do it any favors here, and while it looks great, combat quickly becomes a rather boring chore. You do gain additional battle skills and can craft and enhance equipment, but none of it is particularly compelling.

The rice farming, by contrast, is extremely complex. You till your field, clear rocks, determine the amount of water, create fertilizer that helps certain parts of the rice grow better, pull weeds, harvest/dry/thresh rice, etc. etc. There's a huge laundry list of things to do to ensure that your rice crop comes out well, with a ton of graphs, percentages, and other minute details to look at. Problem is, they don't really bother to explain, well, any of it. You get some minor hints here and there by talking with the humans, but those are few and far between. You end up just doing a bunch of trial and error, hoping for numbers to go up on different spreadsheets and radar charts. That may appeal to some, but was completely lost on me. Doesn't help that the mini-game'ish activities required to do things like till the field and thresh the rice are boring as hell.

All in all, it was disappointing to see this game be so mediocre and bland after such an fantastic first impression. I thought this might be something to keep me engaged for a while, but it ended up simply feeling like a mix of rather mediocre ideas.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Black lives matter
mcdog512

Post by mcdog512 »

Lately I've been getting into Board Games on Steam. My buddy and I pound a few beers over a zoom call and play games like Castles of Burgundy, Stockpile, Ticket to Ride, Carccassone, Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle just to name a few. Really having a good time with these.
Anonymous Bosch

mcdog512 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 pm Lately I've been getting into Board Games on Steam. My buddy and I pound a few beers over a zoom call and play games like Castles of Burgundy, Stockpile, Ticket to Ride, Carccassone, Through the Ages and Twilight Struggle just to name a few. Really having a good time with these.
That's a rock solid selection of digital board games (Twilight Struggle & Through the Ages are perhaps the best of all of 'em).

If you're looking for more, you cannot go wrong with the following:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scythe, Pathfinder Adventures, and LotR Living Card Game are also solid board/card game ports.

Black lives matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And there a good number of well implemented board games you can play for free on Boardgamearena. I haven’t been playing as many games on there as I did at the outset of Covid/work from home, but still get in a game or two every other week or so.

Just beat Wasteland 3 so time to find a new game....
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching Mandalorian sent me back to SWTOR. Again.

Black lives matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 pm Watching Mandalorian sent me back to SWTOR. Again.
That's going to be what I get to next when I finish Disgaea 5 or Divine Divinity - Original Sin. Over halfway through D5 at the moment, while I've barely scratched the surface of DD:OS, but there's always the possibility I bounce off that one & wander away. Either way, I'm set for making a concerted run at finishing SWTOR finally.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I rarely stick with it for the long haul (I only have two toons who finished their class stories), but I usually come back once a year or so and sub for a month to get a Star Wars fix.

Black lives matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive maxed all classes and earned Legend status but still think of going back. I just dont know what Id do. I think I have 2 slots left. But Ive done it all many times. Wish there was a second game like it. I dont think we'll ever get another MMO as good as the old ones. I think SWTOR is the last of the good ones.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The voice of one of the minor NPC's on Nar Shadaa, Zan Loren, sounded so incredibly familiar but I just couldn't place it.

Just looked it up...it's James Urbaniak. Yep, Dr. Venture now works for Republic intelligence. :lol:

Black lives matter