Operencia: The Stolen Sun

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jolor

Operencia: The Stolen Sun

Post by Jolor »

Now out and generally available. I played it when it was an Epic exclusive, and I'm glad I did. It's a dungeon crawler steeped in Eastern European mythology. Party- and turn-based. Lots of puzzles. Potion crafting once you find the recipes. RPG in that you upgrade your character stats and skills, not from the perspective of having meaningful choices - it's pretty much on rails, though you can travel back to other areas to complete puzzles.

The game is from the team that brought us the Zen Pinball games. Hardly a natural fit but the attention to detail is in kind. The team is Hungarian & you can tell that they wanted to explore myths that weren't common with the current high/low fantasy offerings.

A solid recommendation.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jag

Re: Operencia: The Stolen Sun

Post by Jag »

It's very janky, but enjoyable and recommended. I played through until the end.
JohnyJohny

Post by JohnyJohny »

Coronavirus can't stop the spammers.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

At least the bots are topical today. :lol:

I tried this one when it first game out and didn't think much of it. Looks nice and the setting was well done, but the gameplay didn't really bring anything new to the table and I found it pretty boring. Spent a couple hours with it, got stuck on a puzzle, and wasn't interested enough to bother figuring it out. YMMV.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:48 am At least the bots are topical today. :lol:

I tried this one when it first game out and didn't think much of it. Looks nice and the setting was well done, but the gameplay didn't really bring anything new to the table and I found it pretty boring. Spent a couple hours with it, got stuck on a puzzle, and wasn't interested enough to bother figuring it out. YMMV.
The puzzles were too hard for me. I used a walkthrough to save time. They were gratuitously hard IMO and I suck at them. Otherwise, gameplay was fun.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Same. I got through a couple, but got stuck pretty quickly. That tends to be my MO with these grid-based dungeon crawlers though. Had the same thing happen in both of the Legend of Grimrock games, which I otherwise thought were pretty fun.

That said, this one is on my list to revisit at some point, as I did like the overall setting and mythology. With some walkthroughs available to get past the trickier bits, I might find it more enjoyable. It was a brand new indie-ish game when I tried it, so there wasn't much info out there.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.