New XCom game: Chimera Squad

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

New XCom game: Chimera Squad

Post by Jag »

A new XCom game coming. Like, now.
XCOM: Chimera Squad is heading to PC via Steam on April 24th, priced at $10 at launch. Starting May 1st, it’ll cost $20.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8821 ... era_Squad/

Last edited by Jag on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Re: New XCom game: Chimera Squad

Post by coopasonic »

Was coming to post this. I know you will all be surprised to hear that I am all over this... hmm releasing 4 days before Gears: Tactics. It's going to be a very tactical end of the month for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This is a high interest game. Doubly so for a $10 price tag.

It looks like a way to play XCOM without interfering with playing XCOM.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is totally out of nowhere, and it looks amazing. And they've added some new mechanics to keep it fresh. Really looking forward to this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

More info here:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005259/en/
“With XCOM: Chimera Squad , we felt there were exciting gameplay opportunities yet to be discovered within the XCOM universe,” said Mark Nauta, Lead Designer at Firaxis Games. “Gameplay like Breach Mode, interleaved turn order, and the introduction of agents as fully fleshed-out characters will revolutionize how the game plays while still retaining the combat experience that makes the XCOM series so loved by gaming communities around the world.”

XCOM: Chimera Squad includes the following features:

Unique Alien and Human Agents : Each of the 11 agents have their own distinct personality and tactical abilities, including species-specific attacks like the Viper’s tongue pull;
Specialized and Complementary Classes : Execute devastating combos by teaming the right agents and utilizing cooperative actions. The difference between mission success and failure can depend wholly on team composition;
Re-Envisioned Tactical Combat : Missions are structured as a series of discrete, explosive encounters, keeping the action intense and unpredictable;
Breach Mode : Players will shape the battlefield to their advantage with a new combat phase that injects squads right into action. They will strategically assign agents to different entry points and coordinate their assault plans with a range of Breach-specific skills;
Interleaved Turns : An automatic initiative system will slot individual agents and enemies into an alternating turn order, creating new strategic possibilities based on what unit is queued to act next – and what unit is at the greatest risk when they do so;
Suspenseful Strategy Layer : Outside of combat, players will manage the operations of a high-tech HQ, where they must prioritize competing tasks, investigations and agent assignments in the face of a ticking clock: the constantly rising unrest in the city’s various districts, driving City 31 closer and closer to total anarchy.

As part of 2K’s XCOM franchise sale that will celebrate the support of its global community, XCOM: Chimera Squad will be available at launch as a single digital download for Windows PC on Steam at the special limited-time introductory price of $9.99. It will be available at its suggested retail price of $19.99 on May 1, 2020.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, that's a nice surprise. 50% off on Steam right now, so for ten bucks it's a no-brainer.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Am so in...its not funny!!!! Loved XCOM 1 & 2. Looking sooo forward to this...was waiting on XCOM3 news...this will do nicely.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Saw the first post and bought it before even reading the rest of the posts. IMO, the XCOM games are the best game produced in the last decade.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, I'm not so impressed. I don't care for the graphics but I'll need to see more to be convinced.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm Well, I'm not so impressed. I don't care for the graphics but I'll need to see more to be convinced.
It's ... uh ... XCOM 2 graphics. Like ... same engine? That might be why it's $10. They got to re-use a mountain of old assets and heap on some new features?
Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's interesting how many OO'ers have already bought this game (as seen on my Steam feed) :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm Am so in...its not funny!!!! Loved XCOM 1 & 2. Looking sooo forward to this...was waiting on XCOM3 news...this will do nicely.
It will do as a holdover, but I am still dying for a new full XCOM game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:52 pm It's interesting how many OO'ers have already bought this game (as seen on my Steam feed) :)
No-brainer for $10. You can save another 70 cents or so if you order it from green man.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Paingod wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:10 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm Well, I'm not so impressed. I don't care for the graphics but I'll need to see more to be convinced.
It's ... uh ... XCOM 2 graphics. Like ... same engine? That might be why it's $10. They got to re-use a mountain of old assets and heap on some new features?
I wasn't as fond of XCOM 2 as the rest of you probably. Including the graphics.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Yes, yes, yes! Thank so much for this thread--I hadn't heard a peep about this. :wub:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:54 pm
Newcastle wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm Am so in...its not funny!!!! Loved XCOM 1 & 2. Looking sooo forward to this...was waiting on XCOM3 news...this will do nicely.
It will do as a holdover, but I am still dying for a new full XCOM game.
FWIW, if you haven't yet tried it, I find the squad configuration options and outstanding turn-based tactical combat used in Divinity: Original Sin 2 vaguely reminiscent of XCOM. The leveling system is just insanely rewarding. And there's a tremendous amount of fun to be had in trying out new abilities and new combos, and figuring out new strategies. This video shows a little of what it offers:

Suffice to say it's definitely worth checking out, and may scratch you where you itch in terms of providing some highly satisfying tactical squad turn-based combat.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I was just about to start another campaign of XCOM 2! Couldn't have come at a better time. So much for my "no preorders" rule.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have 147 hours in DOS2. Never did finish it though. Despite the play time it never really clicked with me. The world just didn't draw me in.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just realized that for some reason I don't think of the fantasy games as "squad" games. Though they clearly are. Instead, fantasy ones have "parties" while the modern/future ones have "squads". I'll have to do better about grouping them all together in the future when I just want to control a handful of characters. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 pm
Grifman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:52 pm It's interesting how many OO'ers have already bought this game (as seen on my Steam feed) :)
No-brainer for $10. You can save another 70 cents or so if you order it from green man.
Normally I'd use my go-to cheap site Green Man Gaming, but as this is a pre-order I'll use Steam in case before two hours is up I find I'm not happy.

Kudos to 2K for a half-price sale right off the bat. How did nobody know about this game till now? Seems incredible in this day and age that no info seems to have leaked.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Bought it for two reasons:

1. I loved XCOM 1 and 2.
2. It is not an Epic store exclusive.
Holman

Post by Holman »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm I have 147 hours in DOS2. [...] The world just didn't draw me in.
:think:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Purchased. Thanks for the heads-up. $10 is an easy decision for TB Tactical play.

"Breach mode" made me remember Breach 2 + Rules of Engagement (1991). Does anyone else remember this setup? You would setup a boarding event in the star ship game RoE and then play out that event in the other game Breach (or Breach 2?). I have vivid memories of these two games interacting with floppy discs involved.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:22 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm I have 147 hours in DOS2. [...] The world just didn't draw me in.
:think:
Yeah, I know.

I think that was 3 different attempts to get into the game. I guess they were each very good attempts. I suspect outside of the retirees, I spend more time playing games than most anyone else here.

Back to Chimera Squad, the biggest difference I see (other than the fixed roster) is the per soldier alternating combat. In XCOM and XCOM2 the key to doing well in the game was to never (or at least very rarely) get attacked. The way they are doing individual turns here will likely make that impossible. I'm interested to see how that plays out. Maybe they are testing ideas out for XCOM3.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:44 pm How did nobody know about this game till now? Seems incredible in this day and age that no info seems to have leaked.
I seem to recall they surprised us pretty well with War of the Chosen too. I mean obviously we were all expecting an expansion, but it was announced and released pretty quickly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:33 am
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:44 pm How did nobody know about this game till now? Seems incredible in this day and age that no info seems to have leaked.
I seem to recall they surprised us pretty well with War of the Chosen too. I mean obviously we were all expecting an expansion, but it was announced and released pretty quickly.
Personally I prefer the surprise route, where the games just come out with little or no lead time. Blizzard's shtick of announcing a game 2 years before it comes out is silly. I'd much rather have an announcement a week or two ahead of time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Butterknife wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:43 pm Personally I prefer the surprise route, where the games just come out with little or no lead time. Blizzard's shtick of announcing a game 2 years before it comes out is silly. I'd much rather have an announcement a week or two ahead of time.
Me too!! :horse:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ten schmeckels? That's my favorite blind buy price for an out of nowhere new game.

I don't have XCOM 2 yet but I think I'll be OK.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Butterknife wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Personally I prefer the surprise route, where the games just come out with little or no lead time. Blizzard's shtick of announcing a game 2 years before it comes out is silly. I'd much rather have an announcement a week or two ahead of time.
I think I prefer a slightly longer lead time.

Since they're developing the game over the same amount of time anyway, I'd like to see reviewers have sufficient time to study and assess things before any pre-order discount runs out.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Bought. I'm positive I'll get $10 of enjoyment out of it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

gbasden wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 am Bought. I'm positive I'll get $10 of enjoyment out of it.
Ditto. I just grabbed it before going to bed. I'm still deep in Animal Crossing while the family is awake and Skyrim when they're in bed, but I expect this gets play when Skyrim dies down.
Black Lives Matter

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'll be grabbing this as soon as my internet is back up. Hopefully today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I'll be honest, this expansion scares me. In the way that Highlander 2: The Quickening scares me. This may be the way that I play XCom, but let me explain and see if this resonates with anyone else.

For starters, I love making my own toons. I mostly play on ironman, which means getting used to even sweet toons sometimes dying. All rookies get put in redshirts until they hit level 3, then I customize them once they've proven they're going to live. XC:CS seems like all toons are pre-generated? And maybe not so expendable? Damn, I hope not. And pre-rolled characters aren't really XCom, are they? This almost feels like they think we're too dumb to make our own interesting toons.

Additionally, I am concerned about the whole reused assets thing. I don't mind reused assets, but we've been reusing assets for how many expansions now.

XCom is one of my favorite series of all times with XCom2 being the pinnacle of this type of game play (so far). If the expansion is just reused assets with a pre-rolled squad, that is not going to be my thing.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Sawyer wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:31 pm I'll be honest, this expansion scares me. In the way that Highlander 2: The Quickening scares me. This may be the way that I play XCom, but let me explain and see if this resonates with anyone else.

For starters, I love making my own toons. I mostly play on ironman, which means getting used to even sweet toons sometimes dying. All rookies get put in redshirts until they hit level 3, then I customize them once they've proven they're going to live. XC:CS seems like all toons are pre-generated? And maybe not so expendable? Damn, I hope not. And pre-rolled characters aren't really XCom, are they? This almost feels like they think we're too dumb to make our own interesting toons.

Additionally, I am concerned about the whole reused assets thing. I don't mind reused assets, but we've been reusing assets for how many expansions now.

XCom is one of my favorite series of all times with XCom2 being the pinnacle of this type of game play (so far). If the expansion is just reused assets with a pre-rolled squad, that is not going to be my thing.
I agree, of course, I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be an upgrade to XCOM2. I read where if a main character dies then you have to replay the mission. So I am viewing this as XCOM Lite, some what on rails, I'm just going to enjoy some new tactics and have a little fun, while waiting on XCOM3.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sawyer wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:31 pm I'll be honest, this expansion scares me. In the way that Highlander 2: The Quickening scares me. This may be the way that I play XCom, but let me explain and see if this resonates with anyone else.

It's not your thing. It's also not my thing, but it 's still more my thing than 80% of the tactical combat games that appear just be being xcom adjacent and familiar. Just be aware this isn't XCOM3, this is just filler and take it for what it is, or pass on it.I DO NOT see this as a light showing us where XCOM3 is going. If it is, there will be riots.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The pre generated characters doesn't bother me. To me, this looks a bit like Invisible INC crossed with XCOM, which is a good thing imo.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I went ahead and bit on it. I had $5 in Steam credit, so $5 out of pocket for a brand new XCOM-lite was pretty much a no brainer. I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so if you give me too many choices and options I tend to get so overwhelmed I shut down. So even if it's a little on the rails, it will be right up my alley.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I briefly thought a new XCom might be just the thing to draw me back into gaming, after many months (approaching a year) away from the hobby. But nope. Creating and building a squad is the best part of the game, and this doesn't have that. Clever idea at a good price, just not for me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Count me in as well. I got it on Steam so if I really hate it I can get a refund, but it looks like it might scratch an itch for me... I really must shower more often... :roll: