Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Assassin's Creed Vahalla

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Assassin's Creed Vahalla

Post by Max Peck »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:15 pm
I hope AC Vahalla totally fails on PC so that they'll change their mind and bring it and future title back to Steam. I prefer to have more choices on where to get my games.
If The Division 2 and Breakpoint didn't fail on PC due to being EGS/Uplay exclusive, then Valhalla is going to be fine. Ubisoft's customer base is used to the new status quo by now, and Ubisoft is fine with their PC sales numbers.

Besides, even if you buy a newish Ubisoft game on Steam, you're still required to run the game through Uplay, so the only choice we'd have is whether or not to give Steam a slice of the pie in order to use it for a Uplay launcher, with trading cards and cheevos of course. :coffee:

For myself, I'd probably purchase it on Steam if that was an option, but since it isn't I'm just going to buy it directly from Ubisoft.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Assassin's Creed Valhalla has Mortal Kombat-style X-ray attacks
Despite the series's increasingly high body count, Assassin's Creed isn't typically very gory, but that's set to change with Assassin's Creed Valhalla. We've already seen quite a bit of Eivor murdering their way through England with plenty of flair and brutality, and it looks like we'll also be able to see all that damage up close.

Near the end of the July 12 gameplay overview trailer, below, we see Eivor assassinating someone by kicking them to the ground and plunging her hidden blade into their chest. At that point, we're treated to a grisly look at their insides, with the blade shattering bone and piercing their organs. Though it looked like a cinematic touch made for the trailer, it's actually a feature that you'll be able to trigger yourself.
This game is looking like more and more of a pass for me. I'm thinking I'm going to miss all the stealth I've come to enjoy in the series.
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Both stealth and brutality are part of the Sniper Elite series.

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

Based on my latest understanding it comes out 2 days before Cyberpunk so I will play it, but it won't be in the first couple of weeks.
-Coop

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am
Both stealth and brutality are part of the Sniper Elite series.
I should have expressed myself more clearly.

<steps up on soapbox>

It isn't the brutality as such, which as you note is present in the Sniper Elite series as well and which I have enjoyed playing, it is that stealthly gameplay seems to be taking a back seat to large scale slash and mash. IIRC, this first really made its presence known in the AC series in Odessey, but those big battles were optional after the first one and I never bothered with them. I just feel like the series is morphing into something different, with sea battles, massive land fights and a focus on gore. I really liked the idea of the assassin in Assassin's Creed, with lots of stealth gameplay, complex plots and rooftop movement, a swift knife thrust and you were gone. I feel like they are just appending the AC label onto a game which is not, in spirit, an AC game.

Just in passing, I'll note that I watched a gameplay video of Watch Dogs Legion and in the course of it your character was discovered in a secure facility and a long gunfight developed. I've always felt, from my playing of the first two Watch Dog games, that if you fail to maintain stealth and a fight starts, you'd better (in most cases, not all) get yourself out of there because eventually you'll be outgunned, but this gameplay video seemed to indicate that going loud was an option, not a last resort.

The irony is that with UPLAY+ I'm already planning to play these games since essentially I'm already paying for them :roll:.

<steps off soapbox, fall flat on face>
The book historian Richard Altick once wrote, “There has always been a popular belief that more than casual attention to books is either a symptom or a cause of madness.”