Streets of Rage 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Streets of Rage 4

Post by hitbyambulance »

well, it looks good and Yuzo Kushiro contributed to the soundtrack - looks like a must-buy for me....

https://www.streets4rage.com/

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

I remember quite enjoying the Streets of Rage Remake by BomberGames, but SEGA eventually went Nintendo-mode and issued a Cease and Desist order forcing them to take it down.

Fortunately it's still available for download courtesy of Archive.org though, and well worth playing for anyone in the mood for some old school Golden Axe / Double Dragon-style arcade beat 'em up goodness.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:37 am Enlarge Image

I remember quite enjoying the Streets of Rage Remake by BomberGames, but SEGA eventually went Nintendo-mode and issued a Cease and Desist order forcing them to take it down.

Fortunately it's still available for download courtesy of Archive.org though, and well worth playing for anyone in the mood for some old school Golden Axe / Double Dragon-style arcade beat 'em up goodness.
yeah, that was quite an effective re-use of all the games' assets - there was a LOT to it.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was out when they removed the strategic layer allowing you to plan and operate a chain of gelato shops across the city.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I bought it this afternoon and my daughters and I have been hooked on it since. I think it's actually really well-done, and for $22.50 not a bad value out of the gate.

There are 12 levels, each of which takes 7-10 minutes, but the game's pretty replayable--especially if you're into multiplayer. As you go through, you earn lifetime points for how well you do, playing with different characters, multiplayer, etc. With that, you unlock extra characters. Beyond the 4 that are new with this game, you can eventually unlock all fighters from the earlier games in the series.

There's local and online co-op and head-to-head.

Soundtrack is good, though not yet clear to me whether it'll stick with me like the earlier ones did.

If you grew up with Streets of Rage, this is well worth it IMO.

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

If you're not ready to spend that much and want some beat'em up action, the Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle is on sale on steam for $10.

Final Fight
Captain Commando
The King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Warriors of Fate
Armored Warriors
Battle Circuit
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 pm I bought it this afternoon and my daughters and I have been hooked on it since. I think it's actually really well-done, and for $22.50 not a bad value out of the gate.
Digital Foundry has a good in-depth video detailing how SoR4 fits into the full series... and why it might be the best entry yet.