Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Zenn7 »

The spreadsheet has Earth10, that's a dead game then, right?

There's a 3rd game not on the spreadsheet, not sure who's involved (other than El Guapo).

I'm in 2 games, could be in 1 more if we have people for another game. I think I'm with Guap that 3 would be my max.

Based on the spreadsheet, Lassr, Raydude, Redfive and Steisser are only in 1 game - you all want to start another one today (I can set it up this evening if desired).

DBT -I'm happy to invite you or let you have my spot in the above purposed game if you like, but I am of the impression from your comments that you are not interested in any further games of this at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong. Sorry to hear you are not enjoying the 1942 version so much. My only experience prior to this was with what I assume was the original version. It's definitely a little different in 1942.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm The spreadsheet has Earth10, that's a dead game then, right?

There's a 3rd game not on the spreadsheet, not sure who's involved (other than El Guapo).

I'm in 2 games, could be in 1 more if we have people for another game. I think I'm with Guap that 3 would be my max.

Based on the spreadsheet, Lassr, Raydude, Redfive and Steisser are only in 1 game - you all want to start another one today (I can set it up this evening if desired).

DBT -I'm happy to invite you or let you have my spot in the above purposed game if you like, but I am of the impression from your comments that you are not interested in any further games of this at this time. Please correct me if I am wrong. Sorry to hear you are not enjoying the 1942 version so much. My only experience prior to this was with what I assume was the original version. It's definitely a little different in 1942.
Hi Zenn, can you set it up this evening? Of the folks you have listed I cannot invite Steisser as I only have his Steam name and for some reason he is not showing up as a friend in AA.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 pm I sent a request to change my commander name to Lassr, let's see if they respond.
and here was their reply and my reply:
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2020 12:34 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AAOS-29435 Customer Commander Name Change Request

—-—-—-—
Reply above this line.
Charles commented:
Hello,
Unfortunately, we won't be able to change your Commander Name to that as it contains profanity, although I understand that it is probably unintentional.
Have a great day,
-Charles

My Reply:
So if my name was Cassie then it would be considered profane also? And by the way, Atlassian.net has ass in it also. Stupid that it cannot be fixed.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

So I got a game invite but it's all computer players except Zenn7. UK was open for a human player only.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy, could you please ban Lassr for his flagrant profanity over these many years?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am Out of curiosity though, if Redfive hadn't (doesn't?) take his turn in 24 hours, does it just skip his turn? Russia buys nothing, moves nothing, collects the IPC at the end of the turn? Or will the AI play his turn? AI might be bad, but thinking it might be better than completely skipped. Especially for Russia right now in this game.
Been wondering the same and I can't seem to find an answer searching the internet...where Isgrimnur when you need him!

I would assume the computer takes the turn, that is the logical thing to do.
Thank you for "volunteering" for my experiment Lassr. :)
You have a game invite to my game w/ you, me and 3 computers, with me as Russia so I can ignore my turn and find out what happens. Please accept, don't worry about doing any more, it's not intended to be a real game we actually play.
Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 pm So I got a game invite but it's all computer players except Zenn7. UK was open for a human player only.
:)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:15 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 am Out of curiosity though, if Redfive hadn't (doesn't?) take his turn in 24 hours, does it just skip his turn? Russia buys nothing, moves nothing, collects the IPC at the end of the turn? Or will the AI play his turn? AI might be bad, but thinking it might be better than completely skipped. Especially for Russia right now in this game.
Been wondering the same and I can't seem to find an answer searching the internet...where Isgrimnur when you need him!

You have a game invite to my game w/ you, me and 3 computers, with me as Russia so I can ignore my turn and find out what happens. Please accept, don't worry about doing any more, it's not intended to be a real game we actually play.
Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 pm So I got a game invite but it's all computer players except Zenn7. UK was open for a human player only.
Ah, that post got lost on the previous page.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm always a page late and a bomber short.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Japan's assaults on India and Wake Island ... did not go well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Guap - sent you a PM, need some feedback on our Redfive game please.
raydude

Post by raydude »

raydude wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:29 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm The spreadsheet has Earth10, that's a dead game then, right?

Hi Zenn, can you set it up this evening? Of the folks you have listed I cannot invite Steisser as I only have his Steam name and for some reason he is not showing up as a friend in AA.
So, I'm feeling sheepish.
Somehow I confused stessier's A&A name (Col Bud Day) with El Guapo - who is just El Guapo. So all this time I could have started a game and sent invites out. Anyway, I have sent invites out:

Lassr, Redfive, Steisser, Zenn7 and myself are in the new Earth 10!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

raydude wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:55 pm So, I'm feeling sheepish.
Somehow I confused stessier's A&A name (Col Bud Day) with El Guapo - who is just El Guapo. So all this time I could have started a game and sent invites out. Anyway, I have sent invites out:

Lassr, Redfive, Steisser, Zenn7 and myself are in the new Earth 10!
In as Germany.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks for thinking of me. Right now I'm going to step away for a couple of weeks or so.
I will finish the game I'm playing now however.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 pm Guap - sent you a PM, need some feedback on our Redfive game please.
Smashing success. Russia did not roll well. :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:35 pm Guap - sent you a PM, need some feedback on our Redfive game please.
that's seems to be the theme for every game I've played, Russia seems to be using loaded dice, but loaded to roll high instead of low.

this game is most likely over. With Japan and Germany now able to bolster their shores, US nor UK can muster enough strength to get a foothold.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

It's my opinion in the few games we've played and the couple against the computer, that Russia can't be too defensive. If they just withdraw and defend Russia after turn one, all their open territories get gobbled up quickly feeding the Axis war machine and enabling them to overwhelm Russia in short order. And conversely, Russia does not have the money to buy sufficient infantry to adequately defend.

Leave at least 1 infantry in every territory that can be taken to A) prevent tanks from cruising and taking 2 territories, B) force the other side to dedicate some amount of force to the effort (can't just send an infantry over or a tank cruising through 2 while they focus on taking other territories).

It the Axis player leaves a territory empty, retake it w/ 1 infantry (or 2 of them if you still have armor and the opportunity). This is especially valuable when the Axis do not have any other direct paths to attack Russia with land forces on the next turn. Means you for sure have at least 1 more turn. It's not that often that 1-2 infantry are going to save Russia vs the value of getting some more IPC, more buffer, more things for the Axis side to deal with on their turn.

You still need your allies to do useful stuff. If they just leave Germany and Japan alone, yeah, you're going to get overrun. They have to put some pressure on and/or send something to help with defense (like fighters). Especially true against the Japanese. That's usually my biggest problem is Japan overrunning the few infantry in the northeastern part and rolling unopposed across the vast tundra to threaten Moscow from the other side.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 pm I
You still need your allies to do useful stuff. If they just leave Germany and Japan alone, yeah, you're going to get overrun. They have to put some pressure on and/or send something to help with defense (like fighters). Especially true against the Japanese. That's usually my biggest problem is Japan overrunning the few infantry in the northeastern part and rolling unopposed across the vast tundra to threaten Moscow from the other side.
Wherein lies the main issue I have with this rule set; the allies have a hard time threaten because you have to spend funds to buy warships to protect your transports. I've had to start over several times in the game because my 2 DD or CA get taken out by 3 German planes and there goes all the transports they are protecting. You can't use your transports as shields either, a planes gets a hit and your warships takes the hit leaving all your transport sitting ducks. A simple fix would be to give transport the "roll 1" defense and let them be targets during combat.

I like the extra territories of this version and the extra units, but the transport issue really ruins it for me.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:14 am
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:34 pm I
Wherein lies the main issue I have with this rule set; the allies have a hard time threaten because you have to spend funds to buy warships to protect your transports. I've had to start over several times in the game because my 2 DD or CA get taken out by 3 German planes and there goes all the transports they are protecting. You can't use your transports as shields either, a planes gets a hit and your warships takes the hit leaving all your transport sitting ducks. A simple fix would be to give transport the "roll 1" defense and let them be targets during combat.

I like the extra territories of this version and the extra units, but the transport issue really ruins it for me.
That is an issue. Played a single player game tonight as Great Britain, had my navy I'd build in the sea off Britain destroyed 2-3 turns in a row by German fighters/bomber. Finally gave up and built bombers and hit his IPC until the Americans/Russians turned things around (Germany focus on Africa, Japan overran India, so I had nothing other than England with units). 2 turns of IPC build sunk in a row, think I finally took 1 fighter with me.

Only fortunate point was his bomber hitting my factory got shot down after 2-3 rounds (I lost 1-2 bombers doing strategic bombing too, but I was at a point of sending 4 bombers to Germany/Italy).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:29 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 pm
that's seems to be the theme for every game I've played, Russia seems to be using loaded dice, but loaded to roll high instead of low.

this game is most likely over. With Japan and Germany now able to bolster their shores, US nor UK can muster enough strength to get a foothold.
Great Britain was a bit more successful than I thought they would be in France. But yeah, turning around to focus on them and having some support left for Japan in Asia (or head down to Africa) means the Axis should be able to win sooner than later.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, Japan rolled like shit around the Philippines, but my numerical advantage was sufficient to carry the day. Not over yet because of France, but the clock is ticking.

There seems to be general agreement from what I can tell that this version is tilted in favor of the Axis, though there's some question as to how much. We could try out the alternate tournament setup (which seems to mainly give the UK more ships in better positions, probably to help the UK navy survive the German onslaught more easily.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

In Zenn's game, I'm not going to lie, the Wehrmacht just had an amazing round of rolls leading to the best turn I've ever had and resulting in the people of Britain learning to enjoy sauerkraut.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The opening German turn in Raydude's game was quite successful. Sunk nearly the entire British navy, took both Leningrad and Caucasus (and another undefended territory, since, hey, it was undefended).

Don't think I made any stupid mistakes this time. But we'll see what the allies manage to find to prove me wrong. :)
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Whoever took Borneo from Japan on the first turn in the newest game, I forget which game, sorry--I think I like that. I struggle kind of with what to do with the UK Pacific fleet. So far for me it either runs away and does nothing the whole game or dies ineffectively at the beginning. At least this way you have 4 IPCs(!) that Japan now has to take back.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am Whoever took Borneo from Japan on the first turn in the newest game, I forget which game, sorry--I think I like that. I struggle kind of with what to do with the UK Pacific fleet. So far for me it either runs away and does nothing the whole game or dies ineffectively at the beginning. At least this way you have 4 IPCs(!) that Japan now has to take back.
I did that in my solo game last night.

Definitely see the problem with the British fleet over there.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

India is just as capable of producing battleships as it is tanks.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:21 pm India is just as capable of producing battleships as it is tanks.
Minor cost issue, but true, it can produce naval units.

Retook France, barring a miracle, the Redfive game 1 is over.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:11 pm
Redfive wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:17 am Whoever took Borneo from Japan on the first turn in the newest game, I forget which game, sorry--I think I like that. I struggle kind of with what to do with the UK Pacific fleet. So far for me it either runs away and does nothing the whole game or dies ineffectively at the beginning. At least this way you have 4 IPCs(!) that Japan now has to take back.
I did that in my solo game last night.

Definitely see the problem with the British fleet over there.
In my single player game where I played all the Allied countries I took Borneo first turn with the fleet from India. Japanese responded by killing all except my carrier and transport. Second turn I took the fleet from Australia, loaded it up and took New Guinea. Fleet from Borneo rendezvoused with them there. US Pacific fleet is trying to rendezvous with them. If they survive to US 2nd turn then I will land my planes on the carrier and have them act as bait or human shield for my landing on the Philippines.

I think that's the best they can do though. With respect to running away - I'd say that if the UK carrier manages to survive the US should try to land planes on it. As long as it's a fleet in being it can defend, which means that it can help protect US transports as they cross the Pacific by being a target (on UK turn) or shield (when US transport fleet reaches them).
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

that was me. I'm trying an alternate strategy and it seemed to work, the US fleet was not harassed by Japan the first round dealing with the UK. As much as I'd love to get that UK fleet back to Britain home waters, it never makes it and becomes a wasted resource.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Heard back about name change and they confirmed if my name is Cassie it would be blocked also. Any name that has letters that are arranged to spell any profanity is prohibited.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All I can say is Holy Shit!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:09 am Not over yet because of France, but the clock is ticking.
It's over

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The good news in my game as the U.S. is that I'm really cleaning Japan's clock in the Pacific - I think I've completely destroyed the Japanese navy at this point.

The bad news is that Europe is.... a little bit worse.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:23 am In Zenn's game, I'm not going to lie, the Wehrmacht just had an amazing round of rolls leading to the best turn I've ever had and resulting in the people of Britain learning to enjoy sauerkraut.
Not sure how well we were doing before that, but after that, I think the allies are toast. That loss of IPC/production for a turn as Britain combined with the extra pile of IPC for Germany, when the map just doesn't look good anywhere for the allies (the Japanese are virtually unopposed in the Pacific and Asia, and Russia is being surrounded now - this turn will see most everything outside of Moscow gone).

Edit: poor memory, but I think this is the first online game we've played that I will lose.
Edit2: Not meaning I'm that good or implying fault with my partners in the current game. I like to think I'm competent and hold my own well enough but I'm not above average or anything in the game.
Edit3: that somewhat less impressive sounding now that I look and see I've only completed 2 games prior to this (one as Russia where my allies carried the day mostly, I just did my part to hold on; and one as Germany).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm
Lassr wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm always a page late and a bomber short.
So, this afternoon I went down to 0 hours warning and...

Absolutely nothing happened. Game says I have 0 hours until warning. I did not get an email, any special in game notification that I recall, it didn't skip my turn or AI play it. So, 24 hour count down so far seems to be a bogey man tactic?

EDIT:
Found this on the steam forums, though it doesn't to have happened here yet. Guess sometime tomorrow evening or after, we'll see if Lassr can kick me and what happens.
"They give you 24 hours to take a turn before you get a warning/reminder, and then an additional 24 hours until someone can kick you from the game if you still haven't taken your turn."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 am

Absolutely nothing happened. Game says I have 0 hours until warning. I did not get an email, any special in game notification that I recall, it didn't skip my turn or AI play it. So, 24 hour count down so far seems to be a bogey man tactic?

EDIT:
Found this on the steam forums, though it doesn't to have happened here yet. Guess sometime tomorrow evening or after, we'll see if Lassr can kick me and what happens.
"They give you 24 hours to take a turn before you get a warning/reminder, and then an additional 24 hours until someone can kick you from the game if you still haven't taken your turn."
i went to the game and I can't get into the game unless I click spectate but there is also a notify button. If I click notify then it says you have 24 hours to move or be removed from the game. You have been notified!

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 am
Zenn7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 am

EDIT:
i went to the game and I can't get into the game unless I click spectate but there is also a notify button. If I click notify then it says you have 24 hours to move or be removed from the game. You have been notified!
That must be why I got a notification from the game that I have been poked to take my turn and this email about 9:30 AM Eastern:
Your allies and enemies are waiting for you to take your turn and continue the battle in Zenn7's Game.

Players may choose to remove you from the game after 24 hours if you do not take your turn.
No warning from the game itself until you did that.

EDIT: it now says 22 hours until kick action.
Maybe 24 hours is until other players can warn me of being kicked within 24 hours of their warning?
Last edited by Zenn7 on Sun May 17, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In Raydude's game, I was going to comment how lucky Russia was when attacking my 4 fighters (I had thought 4 fighters and 1 infantry would be discouraging enough not to attack, I was badly wrong) - should have lost 2-3 more infantry in their attack.

But their rolls when I retook the territory were far worse! Completely missed on round 1 (11 chances to hit on a 2). The lone survivor did at least manage to hit 1 in round 2.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am In Raydude's game, I was going to comment how lucky Russia was when attacking my 4 fighters (I had thought 4 fighters and 1 infantry would be discouraging enough not to attack, I was badly wrong) - should have lost 2-3 more infantry in their attack.

But their rolls when I retook the territory were far worse! Completely missed on round 1 (11 chances to hit on a 2). The lone survivor did at least manage to hit 1 in round 2.
This game is probably already headed in the wrong direction. Smart move to separate your subs out over 3 zones. As UK I could do nothing since planes cannot attack subs, so Russia is close to falling and the US and UK cannot even come close to threatening Germany yet.

I think I'm finished with this game after this one.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:59 am
Zenn7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am In Raydude's game, I was going to comment how lucky Russia was when attacking my 4 fighters (I had thought 4 fighters and 1 infantry would be discouraging enough not to attack, I was badly wrong) - should have lost 2-3 more infantry in their attack.

This game is probably already headed in the wrong direction. Smart move to separate your subs out over 3 zones. As UK I could do nothing since planes cannot attack subs, so Russia is close to falling and the US and UK cannot even come close to threatening Germany yet.

I think I'm finished with this game after this one.
Barring something amazing happening, yeah, Russia is going down on Germany's next turn.

You done, you need a break or you done because of a problem with the game? If it's a balance issue, we should try that alternate start and see how that goes.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Rules issues. I did respond to my support email about my name change asking about giving feedback on alternate rules.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter