Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by El Guapo »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am Sign up list for a new game:

Zenn7
El Guapo
stessier
Redfive
Isgrimnur
Sent out the invites for this - let me know if you don't get it.

Also I used the alternative tournament set up, so we'll see how that goes.
Black Lives Matter.
raydude

Post by raydude »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:41 am
Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 am
raydude wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm Hey all, I'm going to take a break from this game for a bit. I need to calm down and play some relaxing single-player games like FF7 Remake and Outer Worlds. Isgrimnur, sorry but I have to decline your invite.
Raydude - hate to impose upon your break, but, you had started a game that you are playing as Russia, you're down to the 6 hour warning for your turn, then we can initiate kicking you, but that will take 24 more hours. The game will most likely be over after this turn with Axis victory, but we need you to take your turn so we can advance the game please.
Or he could just forfeit and control of Russia would pass to another Allied player.
Gahhh! Sorry about that guys. I thought both games I was in were already ended. Turns out it was just the one. Turn taken.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

raydude wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm Hey all, I'm going to take a break from this game for a bit. I need to calm down and play some relaxing single-player games like FF7 Remake and Outer Worlds. Isgrimnur, sorry but I have to decline your invite.
Raydude - hate to impose upon your break, but, you had started a game that you are playing as Russia, you're down to the 6 hour warning for your turn, then we can initiate kicking you, but that will take 24 more hours. The game will most likely be over after this turn with Axis victory, but we need you to take your turn so we can advance the game please.
Or he could just forfeit and control of Russia would pass to another Allied player.
It's over once the US moves, allies can no longer do anything. Germany once again sunk my transports with destroyers protecting them and I cannot invade karelia now which was my plan to extend the game another turn. This game is so broken with the transport being defenseless.

We'll see how the total domination plays out, odds are another axis victory. I'll be through with this game after that. it's just not fun when the allies are not competitive.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am
It's over once the US moves, allies can no longer do anything. Germany once again sunk my transports with destroyers protecting them and I cannot invade karelia now which was my plan to extend the game another turn. This game is so broken with the transport being defenseless.

We'll see how the total domination plays out, odds are another axis victory. I'll be through with this game after that. it's just not fun when the allies are not competitive.
The Germans sensed your plan. ;)

I agree that defenseless transports suck, especially when you can't even use them as armor for your navy (sac empty transports to save combat units). Guap's new game is using the alternate start rules. Looking forward to seeing how that starts.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am
Lassr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 am

The Germans sensed your plan. ;)

I agree that defenseless transports suck, especially when you can't even use them as armor for your navy (sac empty transports to save combat units). Guap's new game is using the alternate start rules. Looking forward to seeing how that starts.
Defenseless transports aren't the problem. FWIW I think every A&A game after the original has used defenseless transports - among other things, under original A&A rules you wind up with weird results like empty transports going into a naval battle to draw fire away from carriers / battleships, or transports taking down battleships or bombers. It just means that you need to protect them.

The problem is the default A&A 1942 setup, which gives the Germans too much of an early advantage vs. the British navy. I assume that's the core reason why the alternate set up moves the German bomber farther from the UK, takes away a German sub, and moves a British destroyer, among other things.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am
Defenseless transports aren't the problem. FWIW I think every A&A game after the original has used defenseless transports - among other things, under original A&A rules you wind up with weird results like empty transports going into a naval battle to draw fire away from carriers / battleships, or transports taking down battleships or bombers. It just means that you need to protect them.

The problem is the default A&A 1942 setup, which gives the Germans too much of an early advantage vs. the British navy. I assume that's the core reason why the alternate set up moves the German bomber farther from the UK, takes away a German sub, and moves a British destroyer, among other things.
I've only ever played the original game although I own the A&A Pacific board game I have never played it. I need to check the rules on it.

With the new zones, you can no longer directly assault France from the US. So you have to have your loaded transports at sea within striking distance of German Luftwaffe or sitting in UK coastal waters unloaded. Or you can leave them in Eastern Canada but that also makes it very easy for Germany to figure out your plan and pile troops in France. UK and US spends so much IPCs to build up protective naval forces it leaves very little for land units. Russia just cannot survive long enough for the UK and US to overcome this limitation.

Will be interested to see how the new total domination game with alternate placements turns out.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I believe the IsgCq game just saw the largest cost of units destroyed that I've ever seen. I believe that the Japanese and UK accounted for ~100 IPC of units each.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:11 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am

I've only ever played the original game although I own the A&A Pacific board game I have never played it. I need to check the rules on it.

With the new zones, you can no longer directly assault France from the US. So you have to have your loaded transports at sea within striking distance of German Luftwaffe or sitting in UK coastal waters unloaded. Or you can leave them in Eastern Canada but that also makes it very easy for Germany to figure out your plan and pile troops in France. UK and US spends so much IPCs to build up protective naval forces it leaves very little for land units. Russia just cannot survive long enough for the UK and US to overcome this limitation.

Will be interested to see how the new total domination game with alternate placements turns out.
A&A Pacific and A&A Europe both use defenseless transports (and tactical bombers, which are pretty useful).

Usually what I do as the U.S. (this is mostly for A&A Europe / Global, though seems to apply generally to A&A 1942 as well) is to ship units from the Eastern U.S. to Morocco. From there, the U.S. can hit any of France, Scandinavia, or Italy / Mediterranean / North Africa. Germany can't protect all of Europe at once (and has to be on alert for a raid into Germany itself), and any units devoted to protecting Western Europe are units that are not available to knock down the gates of Moscow.

One of the main challenges is how quickly the U.K and U.S. can secure the waters around Europe - the UK has to first annihilate the German subs. Once that is done, for the US a carrier + fighters + a couple destroyers is typically enough to secure landing zones (and the fighters can support landings). My sense is that the base game set up makes this first part too challenging / expensive, which means that it takes too long to open up the western front, and too late to save Russia. I'm curious if the alternate set up will make a difference.

I will say that one other issue with A&A 1942 (which was also true in the original A&A) is that it's absurdly easy / quick for Japan to overrun all of China and roll across Siberia essentially unopposed. That's something that A&A Pacific fixes - China becomes way bigger (it's not just two spaces), as does Siberia, and China gets to raise additional troops. So Japan can still overrun China, but it takes a lot longer and a lot more focus, which means that you usually don't wind up with Japan approaching Moscow from the east.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am I believe the IsgCq game just saw the largest cost of units destroyed that I've ever seen. I believe that the Japanese and UK accounted for ~100 IPC of units each.
Well, you said India could produce Battleships instead of tanks... the British Pacific fleet is probably having it's best game ever here.

Just hope Germany isn't going to run away with the game while I'm at it. Russia has at least 1 more turn before it's an issue.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm
Usually what I do as the U.S. (this is mostly for A&A Europe / Global, though seems to apply generally to A&A 1942 as well) is to ship units from the Eastern U.S. to Morocco. From there, the U.S. can hit any of France, Scandinavia, or Italy / Mediterranean / North Africa. Germany can't protect all of Europe at once (and has to be on alert for a raid into Germany itself), and any units devoted to protecting Western Europe are units that are not available to knock down the gates of Moscow.

One of the main challenges is how quickly the U.K and U.S. can secure the waters around Europe - the UK has to first annihilate the German subs. Once that is done, for the US a carrier + fighters + a couple destroyers is typically enough to secure landing zones (and the fighters can support landings). My sense is that the base game set up makes this first part too challenging / expensive, which means that it takes too long to open up the western front, and too late to save Russia. I'm curious if the alternate set up will make a difference.

I will say that one other issue with A&A 1942 (which was also true in the original A&A) is that it's absurdly easy / quick for Japan to overrun all of China and roll across Siberia essentially unopposed. That's something that A&A Pacific fixes - China becomes way bigger (it's not just two spaces), as does Siberia, and China gets to raise additional troops. So Japan can still overrun China, but it takes a lot longer and a lot more focus, which means that you usually don't wind up with Japan approaching Moscow from the east.
I agree with all you just said. the main issue with the Morocco is reinforcements. I've had the opportunity a few times in this game, playing the US, to invade Italy but all that would have done is lead to the slaughter of the troop without reinforcements. Sure it draws German troops temporarily away from the Russian campaign but not enough to matter at this point.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am Sign up list for a new game:

Zenn7
El Guapo
stessier
Redfive
Isgrimnur
Sent out the invites for this - let me know if you don't get it.

Also I used the alternative tournament set up, so we'll see how that goes.
Russia has fired the opening salvo. No fighters lost sinking the German cruiser in the Baltic this time. All and all, lucky rolls for a good opening for Russia.

I have recently moved to using the fighters to sink that cruiser and continue with my usual opening move to take Western Russia and the Baltic States. To slow the Japanese advance down a little, I moved both the Infantry in the middle of Russia to the east.

For opening attacks as Russia, what do people think of that? Is there something you prefer? If so, why?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I think West Russia and Caucasus are critical to USSR.

I also think it is a pipe dream to think you can keep Karelia, so I let that go. It’s not adjacent to Moscow and the factory can only produce 2 units.

Contrast that with the factory in the Caucasus which is right on their doorstep.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Redfive wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 pm I think West Russia and Caucasus are critical to USSR.

I also think it is a pipe dream to think you can keep Karelia, so I let that go. It’s not adjacent to Moscow and the factory can only produce 2 units.

Contrast that with the factory in the Caucasus which is right on their doorstep.
So your opening would be to take West Russia and just reinforce that and Caucasus?

Being on Moscow's doorstep and 4 points production does make Caucasus much more valuable, but being a Victory City and within 2 moves (tank range) of Moscow, when either don't bother to defend at all or defend with token forces, the other territory to the east that does border on Moscow.

I'm of the token infantry stance to prevent the armor overruns - couple more infantry aren't likely to save Moscow, nor do nearly as much good as 1-2 turns they might buy plus that much less IPC going to Germany to build up and that much more IPC to replace those token infantry with for Russia).
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yeah, guess I should have been more clear, I will always leave an Inf behind to prevent blitzing.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Surprise attack in India by Germany failed. Roll three 6's and a 1 and he then took out both my tanks so my planes retreated. BAH. Russia has had better rolls on defense this game also. His defense has weakened my offensive firepower enough to help him hold Moscow a few more turns.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:48 pm Surprise attack in India by Germany failed. Roll three 6's and a 1 and he then took out both my tanks so my planes retreated. BAH. Russia has had better rolls on defense this game also. His defense has weakened my offensive firepower enough to help him hold Moscow a few more turns.
It's a bad thing when you feel it's valuable to strategically bomb what were formerly your ally's factories. Craptastically, I rolled a 1.

Took care of 2 loose Japanese transports though. :)

Sounds like if all the effort I put into the UK navy in the Pacific ends up not costing us Russia early, it's going to be due more to fortunate rolls than brilliant strategy.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 pm
Redfive wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 pm I think West Russia and Caucasus are critical to USSR.

So your opening would be to take West Russia and just reinforce that and Caucasus?

Being on Moscow's doorstep and 4 points production does make Caucasus much more valuable, but being a Victory City and within 2 moves (tank range) of Moscow, when either don't bother to defend at all or defend with token forces, the other territory to the east that does border on Moscow.

I'm of the token infantry stance to prevent the armor overruns - couple more infantry aren't likely to save Moscow, nor do nearly as much good as 1-2 turns they might buy plus that much less IPC going to Germany to build up and that much more IPC to replace those token infantry with for Russia).
I don't think that attacking the Baltic States makes a lot of sense. Germany has too many units bordering the Baltic States, so any forces there will get easily wiped out, and it still leaves Karelia vulnerable. So I was able to take Baltic, Karelia, and the Caucasus at the same time with normal roles, which cost Russia its airforce plus some tanks.

FWIW I've only played Russia in one single player match in A&A 1942. FWIW in that (and in other A&A versions) I tend to favor an attack into Finland to start, as a way to knock out some German soldiers while keeping the attacking Russian forces relatively safe.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 pm

I don't think that attacking the Baltic States makes a lot of sense. Germany has too many units bordering the Baltic States, so any forces there will get easily wiped out, and it still leaves Karelia vulnerable. So I was able to take Baltic, Karelia, and the Caucasus at the same time with normal roles, which cost Russia its airforce plus some tanks.

FWIW I've only played Russia in one single player match in A&A 1942. FWIW in that (and in other A&A versions) I tend to favor an attack into Finland to start, as a way to knock out some German soldiers while keeping the attacking Russian forces relatively safe.
Not sure if anyone has ever taken Karelia from me on turn 1 with that opening strategy. Maybe it throws other players off. Obviously didn't do anything to throw you off. That was a nasty German turn for Russia.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Not sure if anyone has ever taken Karelia from me on turn 1 with that opening strategy. Maybe it throws other players off. Obviously didn't do anything to throw you off. That was a nasty German turn for Russia.
Problem is that Germany can still hit Karelia with something like 13 or 14 units (including aircraft) even if the Baltic transport and the baltic states units are wiped out. So I'm skeptical that there's really a good way to keep Germany out of Karelia, though I wonder whether Russia could orient its T1 attacks around preparing for a counter-attack into Karelia in T2.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say that it's also silly that Germany can move ships through the Bosporus Straits while Turkey is neutral. That's something else that's fixed in A&A Europe.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

:angry-cussing:
Russia attack Caucasus, forgot to move 2 artillery from Russia as part of the attack. Total failure.

And now I just realized I forgot to make a non-combat move I'd intended to make as well.

Double <bleep>

My apologies to my allies in this game, but Russia is failing miserably this time out.

This is in El Guapo's game where I'm Russia. And Germany already had a great turn 1 against me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As the US, I had some screw-ups immediately before you that are going to cost ~30 IPC in units.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm As the US, I had some screw-ups immediately before you that are going to cost ~30 IPC in units.
Oh?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shifty:
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm As the US, I had some screw-ups immediately before you that are going to cost ~30 IPC in units.
So we're in agreement, this eventual Axis win doesn't really count? :p
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:29 pm:shifty:
USPACOM apparently failed in their intelligence gathering...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 pm
Don't worry, I'll donate free copies of this to everyone.
Black Lives Matter.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Redfive wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:53 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:29 pm:shifty:
USPACOM apparently failed in their intelligence gathering...
I so missed the boat on which game this is that my response sounds like a taunt....I thought you were talking about the game where I was the US and the Japanese had just made the mistake.

Don't mind me please, carry on.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 pm
Don't worry, I'll donate free copies of this to everyone.
Danke schoen
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Continuing my brilliance as Russia in El Guapo's game, I forgot to hit end turn early. I was done, placed my new units, just forgot to hit end turn. Want to draw out the suffering or something I guess. :doh:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Germany attempt on Moscow did not go well, first round I only had 6 hits out of about 20 dice. SOB!
And Russia hit on 7. Went one more round and it was an even exchange then had to retreat.

After I joked how Russia couldn't hit anything with their dice rolls in previous games, they are making up for it in this game. Karma.

Now to see what the US does with their invasion fleet in Iceland.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm Germany attempt on Moscow did not go well, first round I only had 6 hits out of about 20 dice. SOB!
And Russia hit on 7. Went one more round and it was an even exchange then had to retreat.

After I joked how Russia couldn't hit anything with their dice rolls in previous games, they are making up for it in this game. Karma.

Tip - don't leave your bomber all alone in range of enemy fighters that have nothing better to do than take out your bomber.

There will be 5 infantry, 5 artillery and 5 fighters defending the Motherland (the India branch of the RAF has come to our defense).

As we are playing to domination, there's a good bit of fight left here. But unless Japan has a good move, I think this turn is the turning point.

Germany's advance has been mostly halted and the western European front will draw most/all their new forces.

I do not think Japan will be able to take out the US Pacific fleet and they lack the land forces in Asia to overwhelm India and/or drive on to victory against Russia. In fact, they are likely to start losing ground soon.

Fortunate rolls for Russia offset UK spending too much time playing with the Japanese navy. Which bought the US time to assemble forces in both theaters to come and bail us out.

That's my take anyhow.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:26 am
Lassr wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm Germany attempt on Moscow did not go well, first round I only had 6 hits out of about 20 dice. SOB!

Tip - don't leave your bomber all alone in range of enemy fighters that have nothing better to do than take out your bomber.

:doh: Well, I thought I had landed in Karelia, not paying attention booboo.

The Allies are in great shape this game, so it seems the key is Russia getting some good rolls that really weaken the Germans, not just surviving for as long as possible, but actually doing damage to the German war machine. When I took Caucasus I lost half my forces and then trying to take Moscow I lost 3/4 of my forces meaning I'm now going to be on the defensive. In hindsight I wish I went with the surround Moscow initiative and bomb their factory but I wanted to get it over with so I could turn my attention to the US invasion. Losing so much of my forces forced me to use my planes to attack the East instead of parking them along the coast to mass them in an attack on the US fleet.

Plus the alternate starting setup really helps by making it harder for the Germans to totally control the Atlantic after the first turn.

On the other side of the world, Japan is dealing with a massive US fleet with no factory on the mainland to pressure India.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'd be willing to continue playing other games with the alternate setup selected. Not sure total domination is necessary but let's see how this game plays out.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive is using the US strategy I was trying the previous game when I played the US but Russia got steamrolled so quickly that an invasion was going to get annihilated the next turn and it took a turn longer to clear the Atlantic and could not get the forces in place soon enough before the Axis grabbed a victory. Was it a turn 5 victory I think?

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:16 pm Continuing my brilliance as Russia in El Guapo's game, I forgot to hit end turn early. I was done, placed my new units, just forgot to hit end turn. Want to draw out the suffering or something I guess. :doh:
Russia has bought up troops. Not sure if Germany will go this turn (if they do, I think they will win, but it might be a bit more expensive than they want to pay). Otherwise, they continue encircling and building up their armor strength, and hit next turn.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

sigh, my semi failed attack on the British fleet probably has done me in. Sunk the carrier and took out the planes but they scored 3 hits in retaliation meaning my planes were gone and could not take out the transports.

What sucky rolls I've gotten this game.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:39 pm sigh, my semi failed attack on the British fleet probably has done me in. Sunk the carrier and took out the planes but they scored 3 hits in retaliation meaning my planes were gone and could not take out the transports.

What sucky rolls I've gotten this game.
Considering you had 3 3's and I had 3 4's, I thought you rolled rather quite well in that fight. :(

If it's any consolation, your 2 guys in Western Europe performed admirably well against the idiots attacking (4 infantry, 1 artillery, 3 tanks - got 1 hit; 2 defenders get 1 hit the first round, the survivor got a hit in the second round).

And your AA/Factory got a 1 to shoot my strategic bombing run down.

Probably should have moved the transport with the BB though. You were highly likely to beat the carrier and leaving it undefended just got it sunk. On the plus side, it was the highlight of the British turn against Germany.