Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Mafia Trilogy Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Mafia Trilogy Remastered

Post by YellowKing »

I started MAFIA 3 back up and fortunately still had a valid save game. So I won't have to start all the way over, which is nice.

However, apparently the game thought I could not run it with all of its new fancy settings, and reset me to a "potato mode" version that looked like complete ass. Which is stupid since the game ran fine before. I had to manually go in and reset the graphic option to High.

Incidentally, it initially wouldn't launch at all. I figured out how to fix it by uninstalling Citrix Workspace. I had another game (can't remember off the top of my head) that would not launch with that installed. Crazy.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It occurred to me that while Mafia 3 is technically an OK game, as a Mafia game, it disappoints not only because it's repetitive in nature, but because overall, it doesn't quite feel like the Mafia series in terms of core gameplay. The core gameplay in this one in fact feels more like Assassin's Creed when it comes to killing key figures and taking over territory.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

I had to reinstall it twice. I used a reshade on it. made the lighting and such perfect...but flubbed up some textures and the skybox was hideous . Square stars. I decided to give up modding it and just play it. Doing good. Although that darkness like haze is annoying.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I finished playing Mafia 2 Definitive Edition. It definitely looks nicer. I think as nice as the original version of the game was, it looked a bit flat at times, lacking colour depth. Cranking up all the post-processing options, the game feels quite smooth for the most part and looks much sharper. Aside from the buggy eyes, there are no game-stopping bugs. I think one of the most noticeable changes is the improved lighting, which really makes a difference in certain missions, such as the one where you save Joe. In that mission, the one set in a half-completed skyscraper, you have work lamps actually casting dynamic lighting and shadows, something I don't remember from the original. Overall, the scene is better lit as a result. Another improvement are the controls. I remember controller support being half-baked in the original. I ended up playing this version entirely with the controller, whereas in the original version I ended up driving with a controller and doing the gunplay via the keyboard, but it's totally doable via controller here and feels good. There are lots of people complaining about the glitches such as the smoke and the eyes and some framerate issues, and they seem to have expected a remake rather than a remaster. But none of that bothered me enough to enjoy the fact that they've done a great job upping the visuals in this remaster.

Moving on to Joe's Adventures.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Mafia Definitive Edition story trailer. Looks damned impressive!

PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a gameplay reveal for the remaster of the first game. They give us a look at 'A Trip to the Country', and it looks like they've done a really good job of recreating the setting and atmosphere while keeping everything else pretty much intact. One of the better improvements right off the bat is the game having an actual cover system, something the original game didn't have.

PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

That looks really good. Lately these remasters of older games have seemed to look worse than the originals. But this one doesn't. Its strange as it doesn't seem familiar to me at all and I finished the game. I liked them in order 1 2 3. Maybe I just remember Vito more.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm
That looks really good. Lately these remasters of older games have seemed to look worse than the originals. But this one doesn't. Its strange as it doesn't seem familiar to me at all and I finished the game. I liked them in order 1 2 3. Maybe I just remember Vito more.
They say it's a remake, from the ground, up.... so not a 'remaster'.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, they basically rebuilt it completely from the ground up, but as they explain in the video, they tried to keep the level design mostly as it was, keeping it in spirit of the original, sometimes improving in places. Still, I definitely agree that this looks better than most remakes.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Map comparison between original Mafia and Mafia Remake. It looks fairly detailed and pretty much the same as before. Expanded in some places, and using less right angles in some of the streets, from what I can tell. Some districts have been renamed, such as Hoboken now named Holbrook, Oak Hill now Beech Hill (to differentiate between Oakwood I'm guessing), and New Ark to North Park. There also seems to be more countryside.

PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a comparison between the original game vs the remake.

PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Loading…

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As long as they kept the music from the original I'm in.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT