Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1431. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Star Wars: Squadrons

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

pr0ner

Re: Star Wars: Squadrons

Post by pr0ner »

wonderpug wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 am
Holman wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:35 pm
I suppose I could watch the gameplay trailer again, but I'm lazy and I'll just ask: is it clear that single-player campaign missions aren't limited to a small number of AI ships? Are we sure they'll have significantly more than the 5 v 5 fighters of the multiplayer game?
FYI it's not just going to be 10 ships flying around in multiplayer. They've said there will be some number of AI ships added to the mix to make the battles more populated.
I think AI ships have been in the PvP space battles in the last two Star Wars Battlefronts as well.
Hodor.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

stessier

Post by stessier »

It doesn't look like this has been posted before.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Heh, that guy sounds like he's new to gaming. Or at least talking to people who are.
The pro gamer formerly known as Huw the Poo

Holman

Post by Holman »

The graphics and the systems and the attention to detail all look wonderful.

My concern after watching the recent gameplay videos is that everything is too busy and packed too close together. I don't want to feel like I'm circle-strafing in an asteroid field; I want to make long slashing passes with lots of open empty space to work with. The original X-Wing/TIE Fighter games were great at this.

Also--and I have to believe this is something that will be rectified in DLC--how can they give us an engine with X-Wings and Y-Wings and TIE Fighters and *not* include a Death Star assault??

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

Paradroid wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 am
Heh, that guy sounds like he's new to gaming. Or at least talking to people who are.
Thats JackFrags. He is very not new to gaming. Been watching him for years and years. Not as much lately. He is considered a pro. My guess is he is paid.

Still looks like a simple shooter to me. Like games from the last 20 years that EA has shoved out.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Also--and I have to believe this is something that will be rectified in DLC--how can they give us an engine with X-Wings and Y-Wings and TIE Fighters and *not* include a Death Star assault??
Well, it's set between Jedi and TFA, so not a lot of Death Stars around.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not a twitch watcher, but I could see watching good teams play this game.

Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 am
Holman wrote:

Yeah, but X-Wings over the Death Star were everyone's first love, and the designers could easily declare a retro or throwback scenario.

Don't you want it?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
El Guapo wrote:
Holman wrote:

Yeah, but X-Wings over the Death Star were everyone's first love, and the designers could easily declare a retro or throwback scenario.

Don't you want it?
I mean, it would be great. Presumably they'd need to switch the TIEs to the shield-less versions, which could be amusing.

naednek
Loading…

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am
Holman wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:26 am
El Guapo wrote:
Holman wrote:

Don't you want it?
I mean, it would be great. Presumably they'd need to switch the TIEs to the shield-less versions, which could be amusing.

How many times do we want to replay that? I was in the alpha (or was it beta) and the game is fun and very focused. I'm looking forward to the single player side which I know is not the focus.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Still looks like a simple shooter to me. Like games from the last 20 years that EA has shoved out.
It's got power balancing, multiple ship classes, different loadouts, adjusting shields and an advanced tug of war mode where targeting specific ship parts. Not to mention the single player campaign. What do you feel is missing?

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The problem with space missions is that designers throw in too much stuff too close together. I wrote about this problem back in the days of FreeSpace. Apparently they still haven’t learned.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon

JCC

Post by JCC »

So apparently this is only going to cost $40! (Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the thread.)

"We always look at the games and we want to make sure we are providing the greatest value for our players," Jorgensen said. "And, you know, games all have [a] different scale, and most of our games right now have [a] huge scale. We designed [Squadrons] to really focus on what we heard from consumers, which is one of their greatest fantasies, and that's to be able to fly an X-Wing fighter, a Tie Fighter, and be in a dogfight. And so it doesn't have the breadth of some of our games, but it is still an incredible game, and so that's why we chose to price it at a slightly lower level, to also allow access to as many people as possible who have that Star Wars fantasy."

(via Gamespot)

raydude

Post by raydude »

My takeaways from watching the gameplay video:

1. No 3rd person view. It's all in first person. No aim assist or lead indicators. Also, looks like JackFrags was able to do freelook to look around the cockpit. This suggests there is no system telling you you are being fired at other than seeing blaster fire go past your cockpit or hearing your ship get hit. Certainly looks like there is no system to tell you you are being tailed.

Another implication of this is you need to have situational awareness of how far your starship extends past your view, so you can do death defying feats like skimming between asteroids or flying close to capital ships.

2. Fleet battles is PvP 5v5 or PVE vs. AI. There are AI fighters and AI light cruisers and corvettes. Destruction of which can also swing morale over to your side. The fact that there is PVE is a good sell for me. Sometimes I just want to join a pickup game and not have to worry about getting smoked by a squad that plays together every night.

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 pm
Daehawk wrote:

It's got power balancing, multiple ship classes, different loadouts, adjusting shields and an advanced tug of war mode where targeting specific ship parts. Not to mention the single player campaign. What do you feel is missing?
A soul. It appears to be a souless graphics display. No true campaign and a single player most likely bots like BF and others . Wouldn't pay $5 for in 3 years. If someone ever makes a true SW sim again Ill be all over it. Until then Ill just play stuff from the 90s.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who needs that hokey religion? There’s no match for a good blaster at your side.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love everything about this game except for the graphics. It's supposed to be in space, so why is there a serious lack of empty space? It looks like JJ Abrams puked nebulae, space glitter and contrails onto the screen.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm
gbasden wrote:
Daehawk wrote:

A soul. It appears to be a souless graphics display. No true campaign and a single player most likely bots like BF and others . Wouldn't pay $5 for in 3 years. If someone ever makes a true SW sim again Ill be all over it. Until then Ill just play stuff from the 90s.
Battlefields Bad Company (1 and 2), 3, 4, Hardline, 1, and 5 all had campaigns of various sorts, as did Star Wars Battlefront II.
Hodor.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Daehawk wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 pm
gbasden wrote:
Daehawk wrote:

Battlefields Bad Company (1 and 2), 3, 4, Hardline, 1, and 5 all had campaigns of various sorts, as did Star Wars Battlefront II.
I think he might mean that while they do have single-player campaigns, they're more setup as a multiplayer framework and have just about as much depth as a multiplayer game. Meaning you more or less go through the same motions you would as part of multiplayer game, with the same game mechanics, with nothing much beyond that as they're clearly designed for multiplayer first.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Sepiche
Loading…

Post by Sepiche »

I'm looking forward to this, even if it's probably not going to be perfect. With any luck modders will be able to make more out of it if it's lacking at release.

Also excited it's marked on Steam as having VR support.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I had been skipping over this since pretty much everything EA touches is a blatant money grab, but that video actually got me excited. Looking forward to how it is received on launch.