ICBM inspired by the movie WarGames

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

ICBM inspired by the movie WarGames

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to Blues News
In ICBM, players will attempt to maximize the destruction of their enemies with the best offensive strategy, all whilst limiting damages to their own Homeland cities. Fight against advanced AI in single player or face up to 6 human opponents in online competitive mode. Form alliances, but remember that betrayal is always an option ­– like in the Cold War age, there are no reliable allies.

The race to arms will always run fast: each ICBM game can be played in less than half an hour. In this real-time strategy game, every player can adjust the game speed; slow down during deployment or while choosing the next development in the technology tree, and speed up while waiting to build missiles. Even in the nuclear age, offense is the best defence. Sooner or later, the warheads will be launched. Will you and your country be ready?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Re: ICBM inspired by the movie WarGames

Post by Hrothgar »

I already played DEFCON. I'm not seeing what this adds. A tech tree maybe?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'd rather find the time and people to play Defcon with.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I think unlike Defcon, where the theme was "no one wins" this game is pushing "you could win!"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Then it failed to be truly inspired by War Games
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Awesome, now we can try out counter value vs counter force approaches. Herman Kahn would be proud.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jaddison wrote:Awesome, now we can try out counter value vs counter force approaches. Herman Kahn would be proud.
I remember these concepts from the good old days of the Cold War. I wonder if I can develop the MX missile system to preserve my land based force in a first strike scenario?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

If memory serves the Soviets used very high yield warheads because their targeting ability wasn't very precise. MX tunnels would have been vulnerable to the quake produced by a 20 megaton warhead.

I am guessing there are budget restrictions in play that prevent you from doing everything at once. Move SAC bases into the heartland while developing more sea based deterrent while developing satellites for early launch detection. Do you put $s into civil defense or give up like the USA did?
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

This was released a few days ago and, being a fan of Defcon, I bought it.

It is more or less what you'd expect. Very much a spiritual successor of Defcon. Yes, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the tech tree is what truly distinguishes it. The situation you find yourself in will dictate your research priorities, and there's plenty of scope to be wrong-footed. It also adds to the replayability, I would imagine; I think I'll have fun trying out various tech rush strategies.

I haven't played much yet - I've done the 7 or 8 tutorials and I'm playing my first proper game against 7 AI players. I like it so far though. One thing it has over Defcon is much finer control of your units. Every individual aircraft, ship, and land-based unit can be controlled individually. There are far more unit types too. There are even several different ways to detect enemies, including satellites, and construction needs to be carefully managed too. There are no resources to worry about but the better units can take quite a while to produce.

One detail I love is the strike planner. It's far too much work to plan and coordinate a massive strike involving dozens of units, and the planner is meant for just this purpose. You can put a decent number of plans in place, picking from unit types, target types, whether they should synchronise launches or fire as soon as possible, etc. Then with the plan in place, you can decide precisely when it should activate. The planning tutorial walks you through a scenario in which you create an alpha strike plan with all your nuke-capable units, and a separate plan designed to overwhelm enemy defences to allow your strike to have maximum impact.

I'll report back later if there's interest. Basically it's Defcon updated and given more features - it's an absolute no-brainer if you like the older game.
I no longer post here.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paradroid wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:34 pm I'll report back later if there's interest. Basically it's Defcon updated and given more features - it's an absolute no-brainer if you like the older game.
Yeah, despite my earlier comment, I think I may end up picking this up at some point.
I keep clicking on the screenshots when I see them on steam or other places, so obviously there is something there that interests me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been watching some playthru videos of it and it looks like a lot of fun.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949