Far Cry 6

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Far Cry 6

Post by Daehawk »

Seems awful lot like Far Cry 4.

Thanks to Blues News for the info.
a since-deleted page on the PlayStation Store leaked some details about Far Cry 6, showing a February 18, 2021 release date for the next installment in Ubisoft's shooter series. This includes a confirmation that the antagonist will be Giancarlo Esposito, of Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Mandalorian fame. Presumably the official announcement will come during Sunday's Ubisoft Forward event.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Re: Far Cry 6

Post by coopasonic »

Like the new AC game, I don't really need to know much to know I am buying it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive loved all the FC games and own and finished them all. Some multiple times. I also loved the last 3 new Tomb Raider games. I loved AC Black Flag and Odyseey. Origins I still struggle with but I think its because it plays worse on my PC than Odyssey. So a new FC is a will play.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If they bring the autogyro back, it's a day one purchase for me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If they bring back the auto gyro AND the wing suit, I'm in. I'm an avenging bat of death from the skies in the previous games. All one needs to do is look up and there I am....speeding right into the side of every goddamn mountain, hill, ridge, shack or 8 year old kid around me.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have UPLAY+, so this and the new AC game and Watch Dogs Legion are all gravy for me. And if it is like FC4, I'm happy with that, I really liked the mechanics of the autogyro as well. I really don't care if they bring the aircraft from FC5 back, it didn't work well for me.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

When I was about ten years old my dad brought me in with him on a Saturday to his job in Manhattan (everyone worked five and a half days in those days). I occupied myself puttering around the office while my father worked on various tasks (he was general manager of a large company). Then he took a break and we went up the stairs to the roof, twenty-six stories over Manhattan. We walked to the edge, which had no guard rails or even a ledge. He told me to look over the edge which I did, but I got down on my belly first. He just walked up alongside me and looked down as well.

No hand grenades were involved however.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The Far Cry games (at least 3 and beyond) have all been really great. Part 5 was probably the best of the bunch (except for the out of left field ending). So I have really high hopes for part 6. I also hope they find a way to include Hurk.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1 was great too, for its time. 2 was the experiment that largely failed, but led to the modern style. Although to be fair, FC2 is the only game in the series that I haven't finished at least once. FC4 was probably my least favorite of the modern Far Cry games, mostly because they setting just didn't draw me in that much.

I hated the ending to 5, too, until I played New Dawn and realized that FC5 and New Dawn weren't separate games, they were essentially two halves of the same narrative.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I have played and loved every Far Cry, for different reasons.

1 was great for its time, mostly because it delivered such a great engine, but has aged the worst. Super linear, ultra basic plot, no real characters.

2 remains the most flawed and most interesting Far Cry to date. Honestly, I still miss some of the features...like the map that your character actually pulls out and looks at. It's the Far Cry I've finished the most times, and really has a fantastic set of characters, though sadly the compression algorithm on the voices really detracts from the experience.

3 is many people's favorite, even today, but for me, it's distinctly so-so. The game play is good, Jason is a fine protagonist, and the story is serviceable. It has a really fantastic villain in Vaas, but Hoyt is a real let-down, and the pacing is terrible. Though it does introduce Willis Huntly, who is always a treat.

4 is my current favorite. They learned all the right lessons from 3. Great villain? Check. Villain actually STAYS AROUND? Check. Same great gameplay as 3. Perfectly serviceable protagonist. Great supporting cast. Fantastic environment. Huntly doing Huntly things. And we get Hurk! This one checks every box for me. Can't go wrong.

Primal was....interesting. Fun for a bit, but I ultimately got annoyed that I couldn't walk more than like 50 feet without getting jumped by a tiger.

5 should have been great. They had almost everything they needed. Good villains, good characters, good story, great mechanics....hell, I even ended up enjoying the hell out of the fishing, which I totally did not expect. But there was one HUGE problem for me - the move back to a silent protagonist. BOOOOOOOOOOooooo. Like, I don't need much out of my main character. Neither Jason or Ajay exactly light up the screen. But I do need SOMETHING. I figure they just didn't want to hire an extra voice actor for the female option...but seriously, that's bullshit. AC: Odyssey did it, and I hope they never go back. (side note - Cassandra RULES)

Can't wait to play 6. Looks fantastic.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm I have played and loved every Far Cry, for different reasons.

1 was great for its time, mostly because it delivered such a great engine, but has aged the worst. Super linear, ultra basic plot, no real characters.

2 remains the most flawed and most interesting Far Cry to date. Honestly, I still miss some of the features...like the map that your character actually pulls out and looks at. It's the Far Cry I've finished the most times, and really has a fantastic set of characters, though sadly the compression algorithm on the voices really detracts from the experience.

3 is many people's favorite, even today, but for me, it's distinctly so-so. The game play is good, Jason is a fine protagonist, and the story is serviceable. It has a really fantastic villain in Vaas, but Hoyt is a real let-down, and the pacing is terrible. Though it does introduce Willis Huntly, who is always a treat.

4 is my current favorite. They learned all the right lessons from 3. Great villain? Check. Villain actually STAYS AROUND? Check. Same great gameplay as 3. Perfectly serviceable protagonist. Great supporting cast. Fantastic environment. Huntly doing Huntly things. And we get Hurk! This one checks every box for me. Can't go wrong.

Primal was....interesting. Fun for a bit, but I ultimately got annoyed that I couldn't walk more than like 50 feet without getting jumped by a tiger.

5 should have been great. They had almost everything they needed. Good villains, good characters, good story, great mechanics....hell, I even ended up enjoying the hell out of the fishing, which I totally did not expect. But there was one HUGE problem for me - the move back to a silent protagonist. BOOOOOOOOOOooooo. Like, I don't need much out of my main character. Neither Jason or Ajay exactly light up the screen. But I do need SOMETHING. I figure they just didn't want to hire an extra voice actor for the female option...but seriously, that's bullshit. AC: Odyssey did it, and I hope they never go back. (side note - Cassandra RULES)

Can't wait to play 6. Looks fantastic.
Part 3 has Hurk as well. As far as I know that's his first appearance.
FTE
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:29 pmPart 3 has Hurk as well. As far as I know that's his first appearance.
Huh. Somehow I never ended up playing Monkey Business.

My loss.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:31 pm
Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:29 pmPart 3 has Hurk as well. As far as I know that's his first appearance.
Huh. Somehow I never ended up playing Monkey Business.

My loss.
Yeah I actually went to the far cry wiki to see how many of the games he's been in. As a result I now have 15 minutes that I will never get back.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:16 amI hated the ending to 5, too, until I played New Dawn and realized that FC5 and New Dawn weren't separate games, they were essentially two halves of the same narrative.
Good timing! It's on sale for $9.99 right now - that's my strike price.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:16 amI hated the ending to 5, too, until I played New Dawn and realized that FC5 and New Dawn weren't separate games, they were essentially two halves of the same narrative.
Good timing! It's on sale for $9.99 right now - that's my strike price.
New Dawn is a steal at $10.
FTE
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I have significant difficulty finding FOV settings in FPS games that don't result in headaches and nausea after a few minutes. As a result, I've been a long time out of these - but they do keep looking more and more impressive. I've only ever played FarCry 1 and 2, but think I beat both, which means they held my attention better than most.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Man I totally forgot about New Dawn! Grabbing that now!!!

My thoughts on the series align (mostly) with Little Raven's:

FAR CRY - This was the game that first got me "off the rails" so to speak and made me enjoy a more open world approach to taking out enemy bases. While it's obviously much more linear than the sequels, I was blown away by the freedom compared to most shooters of the time.

FAR CRY 2 - I absolutely loved this game, and it's kind of funny thinking about how impressive spreading fire technology was at the time. This one upped the open world concept up by leaps and bounds, and I really got immersed in it.

FAR CRY 3 - I agree with Little Raven here. I didn't particularly enjoy FAR CRY 3. I played through it to completion, and I loved aspects of it like crafting, etc. But I didn't find the setting or story particularly compelling.

FAR CRY 4 - Also my favorite of the series, this one took the concepts of Far Cry 3, polished them, and really made them great. I sunk a LOT of hours into this one, and I believe i 100 %ed it.

FAR CRY PRIMAL - I'll differ with Little Raven here in that I enjoyed FAR CRY PRIMAL....a lot. I came late to it because I thought it looked dumb, but when I finally got around to it I wound up putting more time into it than any other game in the series besides 4. I can't put my finger on quite why I liked this one so much, other than I REALLY like shooting people with bows, and this had a lot of that.

FAR CRY 5 - I came really late to the party on 5 - I just finished it a couple of months ago. However, I really had a blast with it. I will say that towards the end I got a bit bored with the typical Ubisoft collect-a-thon and just pushed towards the end instead of trying to 100% it. The villains in this one were my favorite of the series, but that's primarily because I LOVE reading and watching stuff about cults so this was right up my alley. Far Cry 5 is my second favorite of the series, but only because the collectibles got tedious towards the end and the fact I hated the forced "escape the bunker" sequences.

Needless to say FAR CRY 6 is a day one purchase for me. I can name on one hand the number of game series I've completed every entry in, much less really enjoyed every entry.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No Blood Dragon?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I just picked up FC5 on the Ubisoft sale. And I still haven't played Primal. I only just played FC4 recently. I'm somewhat torn on grabbing New Dawn now. I suspect it will go on sale again long before I'm in a position to play it.

And for what it's worth, the first one was my favorite. I played it at least 3 times. These days I find myself missing the "old" FPS games that I could play in 10-15 hours. Right now I'm finding it hard to get enthused to start a game that is going to take 40+ hours.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The ones I didn't mention above: Primal I really enjoyed for the novel setting. I think I 100%ed it, although I abused the hell out of the owl and the bomb that made enemies attack each other.

Blood Dragon was brilliant. It was short and 'more of the same', but it captured the essence of the genres it was spoofing brilliantly, and managed to make me laugh - a lot. Even the tutorial was great. Tutorial spoilers :? :

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'd have to say I liked FC3 more than FC4, mainly because the story seemed to be more interesting. I just couldn't care all that much about two siblings quarreling. I give both lots of credit for being in exotic locales which enhanced my experience. I kind of put them on the same level for fun gameplay. The autogyro in FC4 was fun, but I didn't feel too restricted in FC3 without it. It's a shame can't replay them without remembering what happens where and who is waiting for me at the next location. Both were really fun games, although I didn't like the endgame of FC4 because of all the fortresses to take.

I had lots of problems with the aircraft in FC5 and only completed the first two of the three areas. I think I just burned out on it; the setting was too familiar, the characters too stereotyped.

I liked Blood Dragoon as being some oddball fun. I started New Dawn since I have UPLAY+ and it is free to me of course, but I just didn't get into the mood for it, probably because I didn't like FC5. I tried Primal but the setting and the gameplay just didn't appeal to me.

I give kudos to the original game, it was interesting and unusual. The tough AI was refreshing. The gameplay IIRC was too much on rails for me but otherwise really fun.

I really, really liked FC2 and it is one of the few rare games I've played all the way through, twice. I enjoyed the freedom of exploration (very big for me) and also the need to worry about weapon jamming, getting medicine and dealing with finding the diamonds to fund my campaign. I didn't mind the save scheme, I think it forced me to be more careful and thoughtful about how I was going to deal with taking out enemies. I never understood the complaints about how the checkpoints returned to enemy control once you left the area, it seemed rather natural that the enemy would restaff a shot-up checkpoint. The Buddy system was cool too. Definitely a great game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

FC2 is the only one I never finished. By the time I got done with the first map I'd had enough with the re spawning enemy checkpoints and taking that damn medicine. I didn't want to play a full new map.

FC1 - 10 ....just damn fun and impressive looking. Liked the setting.
FC2 - 5 ......liked the openness and fire.......disliked about the rest.
FC3 - 9 ......Had a lot of fun in it but wish it ended with Vaas and not another guy
FC4 - 10 .....Loved Ming but would prefer to work for him and not the rebels
FC5 - 8 ....lots of fun. Repetitive. Setting too plain

FC6 would be better if I could play FOR the bad guy and not against him yet again. I want to be the Tie Fighter pilot not Luke again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 pm FC4 - 10 .....Loved Ming but would prefer to work for him and not the rebels
This was an option right at the beginning. You made the decision to work against him. Go ahead and start a new game - you'll see.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I definitely have to give kudos to FC4 for its opening sequence. It was brilliant story telling.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 pm FC4 - 10 .....Loved Ming but would prefer to work for him and not the rebels
This was an option right at the beginning. You made the decision to work against him. Go ahead and start a new game - you'll see.
Oh I did but he ran off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pmOh I did but he ran off.
Check this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm
Oh I did but he ran off.
Well, he did ask you to wait, and told you that he'd be back...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 pmOh I did but he ran off.
Check this.
Ya got that but really wanted to play the game and work for him and take out the rebels once Id played their side of it. I think he'd be much more fun.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Weird, I can't get into farcry 5. I feel it's the weakest of the bunch.

I loved Farcry 3 everything about it was fun.

Farcry 2 I hated due to the respawning over and over and over and over.

Farcry Primal, neat idea, got boring quick.

Farcry 4, i remember playing it, don't remember much about it.

The original was great for it's time. It was pretty ambitious for it's time.

Not sure about Farcry 6. Having Gustavo in it seems fun, hopefully there's more to it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I liked FC5 better than its full game DLC New Dawn. Same map and all kinda made it not as good.

I also loved Primal. I was really near finishing it in late 2018 but then life changed.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I rank them like this:

#1 Part 4
#2 Part 5
#3 New Dawn
#4 Primal
#5 Part 3

I won't rank 1 or 2 because I feel like the Far Cry series really evolved with part 3 and everything before that really isn't comparable.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In that context...

1: Blood Dragon
2: FC5/New Dawn (as I said before, this is really a single double-length Far Cry game released as episodes.)
3: Primal
4: FC3
5: FC4

Note that this isn't always gameplay. Setting is a big deal to me. Far Cry 4's Nepal setting really didn't appeal to me. And while some have criticized FC5 for a 'plain Jane' setting, having a shooter set in our own back yard is what made it fun, as did visiting the same locations after the huge events at the end of FC5 and seeing how they'd changed. And Blood Dragon's recreating the essence of every 80s action flick was brilliant.

If I rated purely off of gameplay...

1: FC5/ND
2: FC4
3: FC3
4: FC Blood Dragon
5: FC Primal (the gameplay itself was OK, but it got old really fast.)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Far Cry 6 and Rainbow Six Quarantine delayed
Despite having just launched one blockbuster with another due next month, we might have a while to go before Ubisoft’s next round of games. During today’s financial earnings report, Ubisoft revealed that both Far Cry 6 and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Quarantine have been pushed back into the next financial year, setting their release dates as no sooner than April 1st, 2021.

Announced during this year’s prolonged notE3, Far Cry 6 was set to pit us against Giancarlo Esposito in the fictional definitely-not-Cuban nation of Yara next February. As per both the earnings call and a tweet from the Far Cry account, however, we can now expect the game to arrive significantly later.

The tweet, overly optimistic as ever, simply states that the team has “been given more time to allow us to make this the game you aspire to play while focusing on the well-being of our teams”.
No word yet as to death threats related to the postponement... :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And FC6 was one of the excuses I used to be ordering a new computer... :roll:. Hopefully the delay won't be as bad as the seven month delay on Watch Dogs Legion.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New videos! Announced as releasing October 7th, 2021

Note, jumped forward in video to avoid 30 minute wait :roll:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like the little dog with wheels.

Looks like a mash up of Far Cry 2 and Homefront......So its perhaps Far Front : Cuba.

Or Home Cry Cuba.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've always liked Far Cry 2, I think it's underrated. The series could use a bit of old school FC gameplay.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There wasn't enough difference in the maps between north and south in Far Cry 2.