Xbox Series X Games Showcase plus ID@Xbox Demofest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hrothgar

Xbox Series X Games Showcase plus ID@Xbox Demofest

Post by Hrothgar »

So this week (21-27th) there are over 70 demos to play on Xbox One. I feel kind of bad that I haven't played hardly any indie games on the XBone. I played a ton on the 360. I guess it's cool that we get to try all these demos since the game conventions got cancelled or went virtual. However, I haven't heard of most of these or their devs. Did anyone wade in and have some recommendations?

TheXboxHub had some, but most sites seemed to just post the list.
Spoiler:
9 Monkeys of Shaolin (Sobaka Studio)
A Duel Hand Disaster: Trackher (Ask An Enemy Studios)
Alchemist Adventure (Bad Minions)
Aniquilation (R-Next)
Antipole DX (Saturnine Games)
Armed and Gelatinous (Three Flip Studios)
Ars Fabulae (Punk Notion)
Back to Belt (Mauricio Felippe)
Bite the Bullet (Mega Cat Studios)
Book of Adventum (Dark Amber Softworks)
Cake Bash (High Tea Frog)
Chickens Madness (Vikong)
Clea (InvertMouse)
Cris Tales (Dreams Uncorporated, SYCK)
Curved Space (Only By Midnight Ltd.)
Dandy Ace (Mad Mimic)
Darkestville Castle (Epic Llama)
Deleveled (ToasterFuel)
Destroy All Humans! (Black Forest Games)
DH-Win64-Test
Doodle God: Crime City Demo (JoyBits, Inc)
Dungeon and Gravestone (Wonderland Kazakiri inc.)
Dungeon Scavenger Inferno (Vidama Software)
Ephemeral Tale (Dawdling Dog, ltd.)
Flowing Lights (gFaUmNe)
Fractal Space (Haze Games)
Freshly Frosted (The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild)
Galacide (Puny Human)
Gauntlet Force: Rise of the Machines Demo (Forge Studios)
Genesis Noir (Feral Cat Den)
Haven (The Game Bakers)
Helheim Hassle (Perfectly Paranormal)
Hellpoint (Cradle Games)
In the Valley of Death (stdio.gypsy)
Kaze and the Wild Masks (PixelHive)
Klang 2 (Tinimations)
Knight Squad 2 (Chainsawesome Games)
Kova: AlphaLink (Black Hive Media)
KungFu Kickball (WhaleFood Games)
Long Ago: A Puzzle Tale (GrimTalin)
Lost Wing (BoxFrog Games)
Mars Power Industries Deluxe (7A Games)
Mayhem Brawler (Hero Concept)
Momentus (Swerve Studios)
Nine Witches: Family Disruption (Indiesruption)
OkunoKA Madness (Caracal Games)
PHOGS! (Bit Loom)
Pixel Skater (Chickopie Games)
Ponpu (Purple Tree Studio)
Projection: First Light (Shadowplay Studios)
Raji: An Ancient Epic (Nodding Heads Games)
Re:Turn – One Way Trip (Red Ego Games)
Road to Guangdong (Just Add Oil)
Rover Wars: Battle for mars Demo (Sakari Games)
Sail Forth (David Evans Games)
ScourgeBringer (Flying Oak Games)
Seasons of the Samurai (TopView Studio)
SkateBIRD (Glass Bottom Games)
Skycadia (Studio Nisse LLC)
Solaroids: Prologue (DynF/X Digital)
Space Otter Charlie (Wayward Distractions)
Swim Out (Lozange Lab)
Swimsanity! (Decoy Games, LLC)
Tesla Force (10tons Ltd.)
The Ambassador: Fractured Timelines (tinyDino)
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (Daedalic Entertainment)
The Dark Eye: Memoria (Daedalic Entertainment)
The Last Cube (Improx Games)
The Vale: Shadow of the Crown (Falling Squirrel Inc.)
Tribble Troubles Demo (Scary Robot)
Unspottable (GrosChevaux Ltd)
WarriOrb (Not Yet)
Welcome to Elk (Triple Topping)
YesterMorrow (BitMap Galaxy)
Last edited by Hrothgar on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hrothgar

Re: Xbox Games Showcase plus ID@Xbox Demofest

Post by Hrothgar »

Today was the big Xbox Series X games showcase. Halo Infinite was the star. Beyond that the new Rare game, Everwild, and Psychonauts 2 caught my eye. I'll probably play the next Fable eventually. Stalker 2 was a bit of a surprise.

I'm still not sure about this strategy of everything playable on Xbox One, Series X and PC at least at launch.
Hrothgar

Re: Xbox Series X Games Showcase plus ID@Xbox Demofest

Post by Hrothgar »

Let's try again. I thought there might be some Xbox or Xbox Series X buzz around here.

The Verge argues that Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft's big play for the future not the Series X.

This does seem more in line with what MS's been saying about the 'future of gaming.' Of course, if you tell me I don't the new Xbox for those game, I'm more likely to go PC and PS5 to get all the games I want.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hrothgar wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:08 pm Let's try again. I thought there might be some Xbox or Xbox Series X buzz around here.
This may be the first xbox I pass on. I've been playing the stuff I care about on Gamepass on PC. I couldn't tell you the last time I booted up my XBOne.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Thanks for humoring me. I was feeling silly shouting into the void. I'm in the same boat. I have a TV/Receiver that can do 4K HDR @60, but not 120. I doubt 8K will gain much traction for a while. If I can play most of the Series X games on my computer, I may as well wait for the mid generation upgrade.

Gamepass may be the best deal in gaming. I'm not to the point where I want to set it and forget it, yet. What's the game there that's going to make me want it on my TV and not my computer? I'm sure Microsoft would rather have Gamepass succeed than the Xbox Series X, but I hope they don't damage the Xbox line too much in the process. Then again, I have no idea what it means to the gaming market if a Lockhart + Gamepass Ultimate subscription bundle is a success. That's still a rumor, of course, as is Lockhart itself.

I guess I'm just saying that Microsoft has confused me. Perhaps, I'm not the target audience any more.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

For the past few generations I've gotten an Xbox first and then a Playstation after a price drop, but this might be the first time I do it the other way around. In the early rumor days, the XboxX specs made it seem like the clear winner, but so far I'm more wowed by PS5 launch and first year exclusives than I am for the Xbox offerings.

And as much as I appreciate the consumer-friendly nature of games being cross-compatible between XboxX, Xbox One, and PC, I have to admit it does also really lessen my need to have an XboxX right away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 pm For the past few generations I've gotten an Xbox first and then a Playstation after a price drop, but this might be the first time I do it the other way around.
Well, Gabe Newell thinks the Xbox Series X is better than the PlayStation 5
Gabe Newell is currently hanging out in New Zealand—probably one of the nicest places in the world to set up shop right now—after deciding to stay when the coronavirus struck back in March. He's putting on a free concert with live music and VR stands to thank the country, but he's also taken some time to stoke the fires of console rivalry.

Valve doesn't have a stake in the battle for console top dog, according to Newell, but he was still happy to share his two cents with the hosts of current affairs show The Project. They asked which of the two upcoming consoles gets his recommendation, and he didn't even need to think about it.

"Xbox Series X," he said immediately. It's better "because it is," he added. Well then. The rivalry between platforms seems a bit antiquated now, with every console getting closer and closer to just being a PC and exclusives being increasingly rare. Maybe Newell is just a bit bored and wants to rekindle that rivalry.

"I don’t have a stake in that race," he said. "Obviously we do most of our development on personal computers, but of the two I would definitely go with an Xbox."

While Valve might not have a stake, it still has a relationship with both Sony and Microsoft. The latter has released plenty of console exclusives on Steam, and Sony is starting to follow suit, though it's been a slow process. The Xbox Series X, both in terms the machine itself and the games we know about, is a bit more PC-adjacent, however, so if Newell was going to favour one, it makes sense that he'd pick Microsoft's console.
:D :D :D :horse: :tjg: :D :D :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

PS5 has Horizon Forbidden West, Xbox does not.

Also, Microsoft has no idea how to name consoles. I mean Nintendo doesn't use sequential naming, but they manage to avoid names that seem to intentionally confuse people. Thinking about it they had the same problem with windows. I think sometimes (all of them?) focus groups are a bad influence.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 amNintendo doesn't use sequential naming, but they manage to avoid names that seem to intentionally confuse people.
Except for the Wii U, when it was indeed disastrously confusing to consumers
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The only confusion there was why they bothered.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am PS5 has Horizon Forbidden West, Xbox does not.

Also, Microsoft has no idea how to name consoles. I mean Nintendo doesn't use sequential naming, but they manage to avoid names that seem to intentionally confuse people. Thinking about it they had the same problem with windows. I think sometimes (all of them?) focus groups are a bad influence.
And Spiderman, and Ratchet and Clank and Gran Turismo all in the launch window. Not to mention all of the other franchise exclusives that will no doubt come out within 2 years.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For me it is really just Horizon 2. Spider-man is nice, but I've heard mixed things about it being more like a DLC. I don't do platformers and I am a Forza Horizon guy and I'll play the next of those on PC assuming there will be another.. though honestly they may have lost me on that with the way too open, do whatever you want world. I want a tournament to win and call done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter