[PS4] Nioh 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

[PS4] Nioh 2

Post by coopasonic »

This came out back in March, like the week everything shut down, but I passed on it as I ended up playing Nioh on PC and figured I would do the same with Nioh 2. A couple weeks ago I finished the last big game I had on my plate and decided to finally give this a shot. I didn't create a thread because, without GreenGoo, who am I supposed to talk about these games with?

From the what are you playing in quarantine thread:
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 am I finally started playing Nioh 2 this morning. I was a big fan of Nioh. I appear to really suck at Nioh 2. Like a lot. It feels like they expect me to be as good as I was the day I finished the original at the start of this one. Ouch.

Also, how have I never heard of the term masocore (Masochist/Hardcore) before despite being a fan of masocore games for years?
Now I feel that I actually am better than the day I finished the original. Not much, but better. I am maining the same weapon I did in the original as well (Axe) but I have tried out a few others with mixed results. I will say this is probably one of the easiest souls-like (I'm never actually using masocore) games I've ever played. That doesn't mean it is easy, but if you always wanted to give them a shot and found Dark Souls too hard, this might work for you after you give it some time.

I don't know how long I have been playing the game, but I am in the 5th region out of 6. I've taken down a couple dozen bosses and there is literally only one non-boss enemy in the game that I just don't get. I feel like I never will. Screw you Karasu Tengu!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Re: [PS4] Nioh 2

Post by coopasonic »

I finished the first play-through on Friday. I finished the first DLC on Sunday. I have started NG+while also looking at what I need to do for the platinum trophy. I think I've already dome the most annoying thing, "mastering" every weapon type. I put mastering in quotes because it requires getting a certain proficiency which means using it for an hour or so and then winning a duel using the wooden version of that weapon, ie no bonuses on it. To do that I mostly just fought against Revenants which is dueling other players by clicking on their grave markers while using a combo that felt comfortable, then for the final duel against the master, find a good charged attack and use it over and over and over abusing the AI. Of course this is a souls-like game so the AI isn't actually that dumb, but the weapon mastery duels are all against normal humans and you can generally get away with a lot more when fighting them. Silly humans.

I did find many of the other weapon types interesting, but I've been using the Axe for ~165 levels and it works for me against pretty much any enemy. The only real downside is that it is very slow which means it's not great for elemental damage or life steal since they are generally fixed amounts, not percentages. On the other hand it hits like a mack truck and I like that!

If anyone played and enjoyed Nioh, Nioh 2 is an easy recommend. I like it a LOT more than I liked the Surge 2. It's no Bloodborne, but it's still pretty great. My only complaint would be the insane amount of loot. Nioh had the same problem.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Platinum trophy acquired after 117 hours of play. Still deciding if I am done or will continue with NG+. There are some interesting new things going on that I might want to dig a bit deeper on and I don't have any other games calling my name. Tsushima is high on the list, but I am still not convinced. I don't care how pretty it is and chasing birds and foxes for mostly crap annoys me as a concept.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Apparently I am done. I went to play it at lunch yesterday and all of my motivation has evaporated. There are still 2 more difficulty level to progress through but without anything truly new to be acquired, I just can't see myself loading it up again. We'll see what happens when the next DLC drops. I didn't pursue any of the DLC trophies, so I am not sure a new DLC will change my attitudes there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Got this game for cheap awhile back but didn't start playing until last week after the PS5 update hit. I got pretty far in the original Nioh, but this game is kicking my butt pretty hard. I haven't even gotten past the boss in the first level yet. I don't know if my skills have atrophied that much, the gameplay is different, or perhaps I need to rewire my brain after playing hours of Demon Souls, but I *suck*. Also, I like all the options of weapons and the extensive skill trees, but it's a bit overwhelming at the start. I also haven't really figured out all the systems and how they work; the game doesn't do a great job explaining these things. I'm going to keep trying and hopefully it clicks soon because there are other games I can play that don't make me bash my head against the wall.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I just beat this game yesterday. I had played about 75% of it earlier in the year when the PS5 upgrade first hit, then went back to it last week to finish it up. As a Souls like game I enjoyed both Nioh and Nioh 2, but I would rank them below all of the Souls games and Sekiro. The amount of systems and weapon classes in this game are almost too much to take in. I also thought the game's length could have been trimmed by about 30%. Towards the end I stopped doing the side missions, unless I needed an extra level or 2 for the next main mission.

With that said though I do really love the combat in this game, especially the magic system. Overall I would give it an 80%.
FTE