Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3

Post by Scraper »

I just started playing Trails of Cold Steel 3 over the weekend. Parts 1 and 2 are both excellent games and shouldn't be missed by anyone who likes JRPGs. Part 3 picks up a couple of months after the end of Part 2. If you played parts 1 or 2 then you will know what to expect with Part 3 as they haven't messed with a winning formula at all. They did of course add some new combat systems in to keep things fresh.

Here's some early impressions:

1. This one starts out much slower than part 2, it took me about 4 hours of gameplay before I hit an open area to explore.
2. The main character is about 3 or 4 years older than when the series started and he's still a great main character.
3. The amount of characters in this series is almost as big as the Game of Thrones series.
4. Even though I completed Part 2 less than a year ago I still forgot about half of the things they flash back to. BUT the game does give you a tab where you can go back read about events from parts 1 and 2.
5. The graphics have been upgraded a bit since the PS4 port of part 2, but it's still running on an engine that was designed for the Vita and PS3.
6. Even though the battle system is largely the same it is as good as ever and somehow hasn't become stale after 2 100 hour games.
FTE

Scraper

Re: Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3

Post by Scraper »

Some other quick notes:

It's cool that they included a "Turbo" mode that you can turn on and off with just one button. Basically it speeds the entire game up and goes about 4x as fast. So if you are an impatient player it literally speeds everything up.

I may have been a bit harsh on the graphics earlier. While they aren't technically impressive, they aren't distracting either. In fact the character models seem to have received a boost in detail since the last game and the environment has more details. So it's not ugly by any means.

This game started off with several new characters and so far they are all as deep and interesting as Rean's previous companions. Which is a good thing.
FTE

Sudy
Loading…

Post by Sudy »

I'd like an excuse to play Trails in the Sky that I bought on Steam years ago but fell asleep playing after the first half hour and never went back to. Is the story as mind-numbingly good as they say? Does it all warrant playing the 9000 games that come after, and the tens of billions of lines of dialogue that make Planescape: Torment's look like a modest brochure in comparison?
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Sudy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am
I'd like an excuse to play Trails in the Sky that I bought on Steam years ago but fell asleep playing after the first half hour and never went back to. Is the story as mind-numbingly good as they say? Does it all warrant playing the 9000 games that come after, and the tens of billions of lines of dialogue that make Planescape: Torment's look like a modest brochure in comparison?
I can't answer that. I've only played the Trails of Cold Steel series. Although, they are all related somehow. If I'm you I just start the series at Trails of Cold Steel 1 and go from there.
FTE

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've played the first two Trails of Cold Steelgames. I got about 8-10 hours into both before getting bored and wandering off. Been tempted by this third one, but I'm fairly sure it'd just be more of the same.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:12 am
I've played the first two Trails of Cold Steelgames. I got about 8-10 hours into both before getting bored and wandering off. Been tempted by this third one, but I'm fairly sure it'd just be more of the same.
They are all a slow burn. This isn't a 30 hour game. But if you make it to the 30 hour mark you should be golden for the whole 80 to 100.
FTE

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am
Skinypupy wrote:
They are all a slow burn. This isn't a 30 hour game. But if you make it to the 30 hour mark you should be golden for the whole 80 to 100.
I generally love JRPG's, but have come to the conclusion that series simply isn't for me.

The odds of any game keeping my attention for 80-100 hours is pretty close to nil these days.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 am
Scraper wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am
Skinypupy wrote:
I generally love JRPG's, but have come to the conclusion that series simply isn't for me.

The odds of any game keeping my attention for 80-100 hours is pretty close to nil these days.
Old people :twisted:
FTE

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Sudy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am
Because of this post I remembered that I have Trails in the Sky 1 on my Vita that I have never played. So I fired it up just to see if there was any cross over with the cold steel series. Sure enough after about 2 hours into the Sky game I can see a lot of cross over. Both series are set in the same world about 15 or so years apart. They both use the same magic system and basic battle systems. The biggest difference is that Sky is a traditional top down old school JRPG and Cold Steel is a third person JRPG. The main characters in Sky don't show up at all in Cold Steel 1 or 2 and after about 10 hours into part 3 they still haven't shown up. But the story is hinting at them showing up and has even dropped their names, so I think by about mid way into Steel 3 the stories will definitely come together.

So yeah the games are all related. BUT, I played the Cold Steel series first and I really never felt like I was missing something by not playing the Sky series first. However, my interest in the Sky series has gone way up after figuring this out and I will definitely play through Sky 1 and 2 on the Vita.
FTE