Project Diablo 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

Project Diablo 2

Post by rittchard »

https://www.projectdiablo2.com/

This mod is going into Open Beta very soon, if you are a fan of D2 it looks like it's worth a look. Appears to be very high quality and "professionally" made. Note this is NOT the Blizzard remaster that was talked about, this is made by the community.
Sudy

Re: Project Diablo 2

Post by Sudy »

This seems to have a lot of similar features to Path of Diablo. I've been playing that for a few months now, and while it's rough around the edges in places, it's very good. I believe a lot of these full "private server" mods use some of the same core mods with the blessings of the creators.

I'm not saying PoD is better... I don't have any experience with PD2 and will give it a look if I don't wear out on D2 soon. But there are multiple other options out there as well. I'd be curious for someone to do a comparison of them all.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I couldn't get Diablo 2 to play on my computer.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually still have my original discs and installed them. But I got an error message for some audio file it didn't like. I could probably fire up my old computer, but don't care enough.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

For starters, you'll need to add -w to the command line if you're trying to play from disc on a modern system as few GPUs are going to let you play fullscreen without a fix. Such a fix is bundled with the Path of Diablo launcher so I didn't have to bother finding one.

I'd recommend registering your keys on your Blizzard account though. They'll be bound to it forever, but you won't need the discs anymore and can download the installer directly from them. With Path of Diablo I think it was necessary to re-install from the Blizzard installer anyway... I'm not sure about Project Diablo.

I'm not sure about the audio file issue, but I bet you Blizzard's installer would take care of that. Note that Diablo 2 isn't integrated into the Battle.net launcher... it's too old for that. You'll still be running it from the .exe or whatever private server launcher you choose.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I used the Blizzard installer for LoD. My 16 character code wouldn't work, and Blizzard told me it had already been redeemed. I found a 21 character code online. That worked but was then I hit the error message.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sudy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:50 pm This seems to have a lot of similar features to Path of Diablo. I've been playing that for a few months now, and while it's rough around the edges in places, it's very good. I believe a lot of these full "private server" mods use some of the same core mods with the blessings of the creators.

I'm not saying PoD is better... I don't have any experience with PD2 and will give it a look if I don't wear out on D2 soon. But there are multiple other options out there as well. I'd be curious for someone to do a comparison of them all.
PoD is a fantastic mod and it's unbelievable what the creators were able to do with basically just a couple of people working on it. I definitely recommend it to both Grim Dawn and Diablo 2 fans. The thing to note is it is less of a "purist" experience in that they really do incorporate a lot of (good) things from GD. The maps were all created from scratch I believe, so they are more of an "homage" than a recreation. They even make some previously worthless areas that you would skip pretty cool. It's definitely a blend/love child of the 2 games.

I haven't actually had time to get Project D2 up, but from what I can tell it is much more of.a faithful mod to the existing D2, with a lot of enhanced features. So more of a "pure" D2 experience is what I expect.