Anyone have an Oculus Quest 2?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hyena

Anyone have an Oculus Quest 2?

Post by Hyena »

My family is getting one, and I thought I would ask the most gaming-savvy people I know, what are some must-have games? I know there is a few free ones out there, but anybody got some absolutes?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hrothgar

Re: Anyone have an Oculus Quest 2?

Post by Hrothgar »

I do not, but I have a Rift. At least through the Oculus store, they largely share a library. In terms of playtime, Job Simulator and Vacation Simulator are the easy winners. The kids love them. Vader Immortal is an impressive and immersive series. Beat Saber is the standard for the action music genre though some like Audica better. Moss and Super Lucky's Tale are family friendly platform adventures.

I believe if you want to play steam games, you still need to use a link cable. Perhaps one of the Quest owners will chime in. Half Life: Alyx is almost scarily immersive.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Virtual Desktop will allow you to play Rift and Steam games wirelessly. You need to have a strong 5 Ghz signal for it to work and there is some latency, so wouldn't recommend any competitive multi-player stuff. You also need to install a mod to Virtual Desktop to play Steam and Oculus PC games. I can't remember where I found the instructions but there are several websites and videos that show you how. You can also use a Link cable to play PC VR games but I wouldn't waste money on the official one, Amazon's sells knockoff's for $30 or so that work fine. I use this one.

Oculus cross buy apps: These are games that give you access to both the PC and Quest versions of the game. Not all games give you a license for both, Arizona Sunshine for example.

I haven't really had an opportunity to play with mine much other than stuff I already owned, so I would direct you to the general VR thread for some ideas.

The Quest 2 really is an impressive piece of hardware for the price compared to what was available a few years ago. It doesn't have as good a FOV than my Vive and the tracking isn't quite as precise, but everything else makes up for it. The head strap isn't great and I order the upgraded one which is something you probably want to consider since it will be easier for multiple people to use. Unfortunately the elite strap is back-ordered until they fix an issue with some units breaking.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Beat Saber is a must-have in my opinion, and by far the most played game on the Quest in my household.

I've also really enjoyed The Climb, Vader Immortal, Tetris Effect, Superhot, and EchoVR.

If you've ever read the book Ender's Game, EchoVR reminds me a lot of the zero-gravity game played by the trainees.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Awesome! Thanks everyone. This helps a ton. I had heard about the strap, but I hadn't heard it was on backorder. Also thanks for the tip on the generic link cable!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

The Quest strap upgrade is back in stock at the Oculus store according to the Verge.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Basic question - is the Oculus Quest 2 basically it's own "system" in terms of playing games, or does it depend on access to a computer or something for playing games? Like, I don't have a gaming computer of any sort that could play anything with decent graphics. If I got a Quest 2, could I definitely play Half-Life Alyx or Star Wars: Squadrons on it, or do I need a separate computer or something that could run it?
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It is it's own separate console and can play *most* games without a computer attached. However, with the caveat that I haven't looked into it all that much, I think you need to link your Quest to your computer to play Half Life or Squadrons; I don't think the Quest on it's own is powerful enough.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:05 am Basic question - is the Oculus Quest 2 basically it's own "system" in terms of playing games, or does it depend on access to a computer or something for playing games?
Yes.
As with its predecessor, the Quest 2 is capable of running as both a standalone headset with an internal, Android-based operating system, and with Oculus-compatible VR software running on a PC when connected over USB.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:05 am Basic question - is the Oculus Quest 2 basically it's own "system" in terms of playing games, or does it depend on access to a computer or something for playing games? Like, I don't have a gaming computer of any sort that could play anything with decent graphics. If I got a Quest 2, could I definitely play Half-Life Alyx or Star Wars: Squadrons on it, or do I need a separate computer or something that could run it?
It is absolutely it's own standalone thing, but Ralph-Wiggum is totally correct. Think of it like a tablet - there are a ton of mobile games you can play, or you can use Steam Link to stream non-mobile games. It's kind of like that. It's definitely not powerful enough to play Alyx or Squadrons on it's own. You basically run it on your gaming rig and stream it to the quest over the cable.

That being said, there are some great games available for the Quest directly. I'd go to Oculus' site and check out the native game selection and see if they appeal to you.
disarm

Post by disarm »

It's also possible to sideload software that will allow you to stream wirelessly from your PC to the Quest, getting PC-level graphics on the fully wireless setup. I haven't tried it because my PC is too outdated, but a friend of mine has it set up and said it works great with a strong wireless connection.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm interested in the Quest 2 but the required FB log-in has held me back. I deactivated my account this spring and have no desire to go back, even if just nominally.
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:47 am The Quest strap upgrade is back in stock at the Oculus store according to the Verge.
Of course it is because I cancelled my order this weekend after waiting over a month. I did order a third party one for $10 less and it's much more comfortable than the standard strap. No idea if the official one is any better than the knock offs, probably not.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:41 am I'm interested in the Quest 2 but the required FB log-in has held me back. I deactivated my account this spring and have no desire to go back, even if just nominally.
I set up a Facebook account just for a couple of user groups and now the Quest 2. I never use it unless I need to log-in and have had no problems after a year. It is a bit disconcerting that my Oculus account is tied to it, so if it's shut down for some reason so are my Oculus app purchases.