Creeper World 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paradroid

Creeper World 4

Post by Paradroid »

Any fans of the series here? Creeper World 4 will release today and I'm pretty excited about it!

For the uninitiated, the Creeper World series is, in essence, a slow-paced war of attrition RTS. Very much sci-fi and set in the distant future, you are fighting a constant battle of many territories with the "creeper", a mysterious substance which is emitted from various places over each map and threatens to engulf everything. Contact with it is death. At your disposal is a wide variety of gradually-introduced buildings, weaponry and various other interesting tools which are all designed to hold off the creeper's advance, and eventually fight it off and eradicate it.

I absolutely love these games. The pace is sedate and you are encouraged to come up with interesting strategies to tackle the enemy on each map. Gameplay consists of getting an energy network up and running, protecting it, and then slowly expanding further into the map. The creeper is utterly relentless (and has a number of interesting tricks up its sleeve too) and it's a thrill when you barely have the resources to just hold it off, while looking for any way you can to make a beach head and start the counterattack. New buildings and weapons are introduced as you get deeper into the campaign and they always allow for newer, interesting play styles. The story is also pretty interesting, and even better, non-intrusive, comprising as it does of a few small paragraphs of text bookending every mission.

I could gush for hours about the brilliance of these games, but you don't have to take my word for it - the above Steam link has a demo available. Myself, I will click buy the moment it goes live. :)
I no longer post here.
Zenn7

Re: Creeper World 4

Post by Zenn7 »

Got this on my wishlist, having played Creeper World 3 (there's a free version of the first 12 maps or so out on Kongregate and/or other places like that, though I bought it on sale on Steam at some point too). I won't be buying it today though (I have enough games I can wait for a sale).

It's an RTS but more like TD style RTS. You're building a little base of sorts and expanding, but you're just using turrets (and eventually some air units that you can set the flight path for). They can be moved.

It is a pretty fun and cool game though. :)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Yeah and there was also a diversion with the game Particle Fleet: Emergence in which your units were actually ships so you were a lot more mobile. Just as good as Creeper World!
I no longer post here.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:59 am Yeah and there was also a diversion with the game Particle Fleet: Emergence in which your units were actually ships so you were a lot more mobile. Just as good as Creeper World!
Look for a demo on that one. I bought it but personally did not find it as enjoyable as the Creeper World games. YMMV
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I saw the steam announcement. I'm tempted, I really did enjoy the others (except particle fleet, didn't play that one). There is something very satisfying about bombarding that purple goo while trying to expand the network.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

The mortar is so much more powerful in CW4. Also, thanks to the new 3D perspective, it's more satisfying than ever watching them bomb massive holes in the creeper.
Archinerd wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 am I really did enjoy the others (except particle fleet, didn't play that one).
I really do recommend Particle Fleet. It's the same basic gameplay, but it's refreshing for your units to be so mobile.
I no longer post here.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I liked 3 and this looks good visually. My immediate thought, this would be great in VR.
words
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:54 am The mortar is so much more powerful in CW4. Also, thanks to the new 3D perspective, it's more satisfying than ever watching them bomb massive holes in the creeper.
Archinerd wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 am I really did enjoy the others (except particle fleet, didn't play that one).
I really do recommend Particle Fleet. It's the same basic gameplay, but it's refreshing for your units to be so mobile.
Yeah, it's not that I thought it looked bad, I just forgot about it.