Airborne Kingdom - A City Builder In The Sky

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Airborne Kingdom - A City Builder In The Sky

Post by jztemple2 »

Airborne Kingdom (Epic store link) launched yesterday but I only found out about it today thanks to a review on PC Gamer, Airborne Kingdom is a hypnotic city builder where gravity is your only enemy. Anyone taken a chance on this yet? I've got that $10 Epic coupon burning a hole and this looks to be a nice relaxing city builder with an unusual twist.

Excerpt:
My plan was to play an hour of Airborne Kingdom to get gifs of cute clockwork cities, but instead it ended up stealing most of a day, with me finally leaving my floating metropolis at midnight. I'm an easy mark for a city builder and rarely manage to escape their grasp quickly, but Airborne Kingdom lodges itself in its own niche thanks to some unusual experiments and its spectacular style.

The basics are familiar and conventional: you build simple production chains and infrastructure to fulfil the needs of the city and its denizens, with the demands of both getting more complicated as you expand. Power, food, factories, morale-boosting diversions—there's loads to build, but you'll recognise all the categories. All this is happening in the sky, though, and that's a pretty substantial wrinkle.

Airborne Kingdom doesn't feature any combat or even a whiff of conflict, at least not with other people. The war against gravity, though, never ends. Physics is a constant obstacle, and more than anything else it's that force of nature that determines your city's layout. You start out with just a little town centre, like the one above, gently bobbing away in the sky, perfectly balanced. But once you start placing houses, hangars for your planes and towering minarets, it's going to start sinking. You'll need to generate more lift, and you're going to need to make sure it's all even.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Asharak

Re: Airborne Kingdom - A City Builder In The Sky

Post by Asharak »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:57 pm Anyone taken a chance on this yet?
Not yet but it sounds intriguing, thanks! I threw that Epic coupon at it as well, which stakes with their current sale discount, so I only paid $8 CDN for the game. Might make a nice palate-cleanser between runs of Cyberpunk.

- Ash
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've watched a couple of youtube videos on it. It looks intriguing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It currently only lasts 9-10 hours with no replayability, so keep that in mind. I have it, tried it and it has some interesting concepts but I’ll wait until it’s more fleshed out to really dig in.
Black Lives Matter