Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

What gaming franchise have you spent the most time with?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

dbt1949

Re: What gaming franchise have you spent the most time with?

Post by dbt1949 »

For me the franchise I spent the most time with is the Civilization one. Followed by the Skyrim/Fallout one.
I also have god knows how much time with the HOI2 franchise. Only a couple of hundred hours on Steam but probably thousands before that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

- FF 1 through 5: My first FF game (and first ever RPG) was VII, so it was hard to go back to these old-school JRPGs without the benefit of nostalgia. Still, I’ve put at least 20 hours into each one on different platforms through the years. 100 hours
- FF VI: Finished on Game Boy Advance. 50 hours
- FF VII: my favorite game of all time. Played through twice on PS1, once on PSP, and about halfway through on iPad. Around 250 hours total
- FF VII Crisis Core: Finished once on PSP. 40 hours
- FF VII Remake: Finished on PS4, 40 hours
- FF VIII: 50 hours on PS1, then another 30 on the Remastered version. 80 hours, but still haven't finished it. :oops:
- FF IX: Finished on PS1, and again on iPad. 90 hours between the two
- FF X: Finished on PS2, 2/3 of the way through the Remaster on PS4. 80 hours
- FF X2: Only around 20 hours on PS2. The girl band thing got too annoying.
- FF XI: Never got into this one.
- FF XII: Finished twice on PS2, about halfway through the Remaster for Switch. 120 hours
- FF XIiI: Finishing it once was enough on PS3. 60 hours
- FF XIII sequels: Tried both, thought they were terrible. 10 hours
- FF XIV: ALL THE HOURS. Just barely under 1,700, as of yesterday. Finished up through patch 5.3.
- FF XV: Finished once on PS4, once on PC. 70 hours total
- FF Tactics: Completed once on PS1, once on PSP, once on iPad, 250 hours
- FF Tactics Advance: Finished both on GBA. 200 hours
- Dissidia: Finished both PSP games. 40 hours
- Other misc: Between multiple F2P iPad games, World of FF, Crystal Chronicles, Chocobo Dungeon, Dirge of Cerberus, probably another 200 hours.

I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Black lives matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm sure you played Crisis Core on PSP. I'd add the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Sure, it's Disney, but it's Disney crossing over with Final Fantasy.

I'm not close to that total time mainly because of no MMO time. I had a bad MUD addiction back in the day. I've been clean since. I'm sure Final Fantasy still is my number one.

Final Fantasy
Command and Conquer
Tom Clancy
Battletech/Mechwarrior
Dungeons and Dragons
Pinball (mostly virtual, but I've played more than my fair share in the arcades)
Star Wars
Batman
Spiderman
Starcraft/Warcraft
Rollercoaster Tycoon (though if we lump all the tycoon games together it would be much higher)
Plants vs. Zombies (all those couple of minutes a day add up)
Wing Commander
SimCity, Sim_ and the Sims
Star Trek
Police Quest + SWAT
XCom
Ultima
Warhammer
Lord of the Rings

I have no idea how much time I spent on Spyro, Sly Cooper or Crash Bandicoot series, but I don't recall them being very long.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:58 am I'm sure you played Crisis Core on PSP.
I knew I was forgetting one! Thanks for the reminder.
I'd add the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Sure, it's Disney, but it's Disney crossing over with Final Fantasy.
Oddly, I really dislike the KH games. While I (obviously) love FF, I've never really been much of a Disney fan. The combo was like chocolate and peanut butter for most people...it was like chocolate and pickles for me. :)

Black lives matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It was originally going to be a Disney/Hellraiser crossover until Clive Barker pulled out at the last minute.
“Also, Dude, ‘Sand People’ is not the preferred nomenclature; Tusken Raider, please.”
“Walter, this isn't a guy who built the moisture vaporators, here....”
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

For those who want to up their time with a single franchise there is a new huge mod for Fallout NV.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 am For those who want to up their time with a single franchise there is a new huge mod for Fallout NV.
:lol:
Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Everquest
Diablo
City of Heroes
Tomb Raider
Divinity series
Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Civilization by a landslide.
Runners-up: Xcom and Fallout.
Honorable mention: Tropico and GalCiv.
Whatever happened to: Those Gold Box D&D games. Played them all in their day -- even the Buck Rogers spinoffs.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:52 am Whatever happened to: Those Gold Box D&D games. Played them all in their day -- even the Buck Rogers spinoffs.
GOG happened to the Gold Box games, except the Buck Rogers ones -- I suspect the IP rights to those are too tied up in knots for anyone to sort them out.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
that nicely translates into five solid months spent in Final Fantasy franchise (24/7 playing). so about 1/90th of your entire life?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The thought of what I could have actually accomplished with that same amount of dedicated effort has certainly crossed my mind. :oops:

Black lives matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And what would you have done with that time?
Black Lives Matter

Unrelated: "It's its own cloaca, shaped in its perfect, unique way"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Black lives matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Single player:
Probably a tie between Elder Scrolls and Diablo. I have over 650+ hours in Skyrim alone. Diablo II is one that I played daily for years, though. I had multiple characters of each type (for example, Bear/Wolf/Caster Druids, Jav-azon, Bow-azon, Trap-ssassin, Claw-ssassin, Fire/Elec/Cold Sorc, etc.), and mules to carry all my uniques. I think at one time I had 20- 30 alts and counting. And even now in Diablo III I have maxed out my alts and have to delete one or two every season, despite the fact that I have a massive shared stash and you can switch builds on a toon at will.

Multiplayer:
City of Heroes/Villains, hands down. Played a butt-load of others, but between each one I always came back to CoH/V. That feeling of taking off and flying for the first time was euphoric! And once again, I had MULTIPLE alts of each type. I had to go to three servers to keep up with my alt-oholism. Brutes were my jam, though, once CoV went live. Even to this day I have 30 alts on CoH, and 20 of them are brutes.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

I’m sure there probably a couple I’m forgetting, but that puts me at around 3,400 hours with FF games over the years. Not a bad run.
I think it's really cool how diverse the gaming culture is. My total time with the FF franchise: 0. I just do not get or enjoy JRPGs, probably because I didn't have a console in my formative years. All of my early gaming was on the Apple 2, 2e and then a PC XT, and PCs on from there. I didn't get a console until I got an XBox 360 cheap as a Microsoft employee. My early games were all western RPGs.
Black Lives Matter!
raydude

Post by raydude »

Not a proper franchise per se, but I'd like to give a shout out to games made with the Source engine that I've enjoyed countless hours on:

Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2
Counterstrike
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2

Also spent a lot of time with the Homeworld and Homeworld related franchise:
Homeworld 1 and 2
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Reaching back even further:
the Police Quest series and props to SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle. God, I loved that game. I wish someone would do a modern remake.

Command and Conquer
Starcraft 1 and 2

Diablo 1, 2, 3
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:18 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am Just for kicks, I tried to go back and total up my approximate hours spent with my top franchise, Final Fantasy.

I think it's really cool how diverse the gaming culture is. My total time with the FF franchise: 0. I just do not get or enjoy JRPGs, probably because I didn't have a console in my formative years. All of my early gaming was on the Apple 2, 2e and then a PC XT, and PCs on from there. I didn't get a console until I got an XBox 360 cheap as a Microsoft employee. My early games were all western RPGs.
Neither did I, oddly enough. We had an Atari 2600 growing up, but I didn't have another console until I bought my own Sega Genesis when I left for college.

Even then, I didn't play my first Final Fantasy game until FF VII came out when I was 23. Not only was it my first FF game, it was also my first RPG. Up to that point, I had only played platformers, racing, fighting, or sports games.

It was the first game that ever opened my eyes to the idea that games could actually tell an epic story that gets you emotionally involved, rather than simply being quick bursts of entertainment. I've been hooked ever since. :)

Black lives matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had a huge gap. I had an Atari 2600 that I got for my (guessing) 8th birthday, but didn't own another console until after I was married. And I didn't own any form of computer until I was on my second wife! ;) My early gaming years didn't include most of the 80s and early 90s. I spent that time on other pursuits (my hobbies during my formative years were microbiology, model building, fly tying, fishing, buckskinning, and then tabletop RPGs and wargames.)

That said, when I did finally end up with consoles, I played them obsessively. I played every Final Fantasy released in the US up through 7, every one of them multiple times. I played 8, but all I remember is that it put me to sleep fairly quickly and I never got back to it. Then I got a PC and didn't touch a console until the 360, where I finished XIII. I played some XV on the PS4, but really disliked the combat (in earlier games you were in control to some degree, making tactical decisions as you went - in FFXV I never even knew what was happening in the fight because of all the zipping around.)

Had you asked me this question in 2000, Final Fantasy would have been high on my list.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Team Fortress
Fallout
Elder Scrolls
Diablo
Ultima
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
mcdog512

Post by mcdog512 »

Not even close. Civilization.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Buying games on Steam- this is apparently my favorite gaming pastime by far