Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Anyone tried this game? Seem to be interesting.

KEY FEATURES

Design your own Cultivation sect from scratch until it becomes a huge spiritual center.
Manage your school and students so they are happy and productive for you.
Expand your domains and meet new allies to become more powerful than other sects.
Commerce and interact with other NPCs, but be careful – your actions will impact their behavior!
Keep the balance between good and evil.
Research and fill your library with more and more sources of mystic knowledge, martial arts, medicine…
Search for the most powerful relics and artifacts.
Hunt evil beasts and demons that want to destroy the world you want to protect.
Live unique playthroughs every time: maps are randomly generated for each run.
Learn about Chinese myths and legends, as well as spiritual traditions which draw from Taoism and Buddhism.
Madmarcus

Re: Chinese Rimworld - Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Post by Madmarcus »

It looks interesting. Thanks for putting it on my radar.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It looks a lot like someone took Rimworld and rubbed Chinese mythos all over it.

I'm not saying it looks bad, but it has very clear roots in a particular game. Rimworld is more than enough Rimworld for me, unless there's something incredibly compelling about this.
Black Lives Matter

"This free trial of 2021 sucks. I want to unsubscribe"
Victoria Raverna

Seem like it doesn't play like RImworld. The base building is Rimworld, but after that it is totally different. It is probably comparable to a total conversion for Rim World where the goal is to reach enlightment and become a demigod.

You're building a taoism monastery/sect to survive while trying to improve/cultivate your character to become a chinese demigod.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

If random Steam reviews are to be believed it is less frantic than Rimworld. I've never played Rimworld but I know that my taste is games is generally less frantic so that sounds like a win.

I should add that I am actively trying to avoid buying games right now while I spend my hobby money elsewhere so while I'd love to hear impressions I'm not likely to buy this game anytime soon.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 am If random Steam reviews are to be believed it is less frantic than Rimworld.
Wow. That's the opposite impression I had after watching that teaser video (well, the first half of the teaser video, at least—I turned it off part way through).
2 + 2 = 5

Come play online poker with fellow forum members!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I was intending to post about this a bit back, but never got around to it. I heard about this game right as they were releasing their official English translation and really enjoyed what I played of it (20 hours or so IIRC).

The core of the game has you managing an ancient Chinese martial arts school, both building the buildings, and recruiting and training new students. The setting feels a lot like something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with ascended fighters able to fly and use other supernatural powers. There's a huge amount of depth to the progression system, and a number of different paths you can go down that all require different strategies.

The building is pretty straight forward, but there is a whole feng shui system that takes a little bit to understand, but isn't hard once you get used to it.

There's also a whole layer of sending disciples on missions and fighting with or maintaining good relations with other schools around the map that I only dipped my toe into, but seems like a lot of the mid to late game deals with that.

The visuals and animations in particular look amazing, and there are lots of differences between this and Rimworld despite the similar mechanics, but how much the setting appeals to you should probably factor in for anyone thinking about picking it up.
Victoria Raverna

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm I was intending to post about this a bit back, but never got around to it. I heard about this game right as they were releasing their official English translation and really enjoyed what I played of it (20 hours or so IIRC).

The core of the game has you managing an ancient Chinese martial arts school, both building the buildings, and recruiting and training new students. The setting feels a lot like something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with ascended fighters able to fly and use other supernatural powers. There's a huge amount of depth to the progression system, and a number of different paths you can go down that all require different strategies.

The building is pretty straight forward, but there is a whole feng shui system that takes a little bit to understand, but isn't hard once you get used to it.

There's also a whole layer of sending disciples on missions and fighting with or maintaining good relations with other schools around the map that I only dipped my toe into, but seems like a lot of the mid to late game deals with that.

The visuals and animations in particular look amazing, and there are lots of differences between this and Rimworld despite the similar mechanics, but how much the setting appeals to you should probably factor in for anyone thinking about picking it up.
Can you comment on the quality of the translation?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 pm Can you comment on the quality of the translation?
Seemed great to me. There a few things that felt like the usual fuzziness that comes from translating Chinese into English, but I didn't encounter anything that I couldn't understand.