Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freyland

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Freyland »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:01 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm I mean, I'd rather be living with Kate Beckinsale during the pandemic, but I'm making due. :wink:
No, you're not. And now your high school English teacher is also yelling at you somewhere, alongside your typing teacher.

Enlarge Image

But alas, this is what happens when you drop your yods. :wink:
No, the correct choice is the one that keeps Kate Beckinsale happy. Duh.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:01 pm But alas, this is what happens when you drop your yods. :wink:
You know...I looked at that like 4 times after I typed it and couldn't decide. I should have just changed it like I did in high school English to avoid losing points. But then I started thinking about Kate Beckinsale and everything turned fuzzy. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well at 24 hours played and still going strong. I really think this game is super well paced as I'm never bored or feeling like I'm just doing the same thing over and over.
Spoiler:
I just did the mission where you have to get the explosives from the mine. Holy crap that was a creepy ass mission. I was expecting a full on horde to come running in. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wish there'd be a windsield upgrade for the bike given how many times I just ram into zombies :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just to be clear, and because I absolutely need another game, if I loved Dead Island and enjoyed Dying Light, this is probably a must have, correct?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Roman

Post by Roman »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Just to be clear, and because I absolutely need another game, if I loved Dead Island and enjoyed Dying Light, this is probably a must have, correct?
IMHO this is better than Dead Island. Get it - certainly a sleeper hit on the Sony side. When it was 1st released it was a buggy mess but now you are free to really enjoy this.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Just to be clear, and because I absolutely need another game, if I loved Dead Island and enjoyed Dying Light, this is probably a must have, correct?
I really liked Dead Island. I enjoyed Dying Light, but not as much. I've played (and didn't like) Dead Rising (all 4). This is easily my favorite zombie-adjacent game.

If you like open-world style play in the 3rd person - Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption, Mad Max, The Witcher, etc... this game is in that same vein. Not nearly as detailed or deep but in terms of being able to roam around a giant map and discover things, that's what I'm enjoying so very much. I didn't feel like Dying Light was encouraging exportation as much as it was encouraging you to get from one safe zone to another as fast as possible. Days Gone you can roll up on a deserted neighborhood or campground and have all kinds of stuff to explore and find without imminent risk of being swarmed by fast zombies.

Yes there are large groups and traveling/exploring at night is going to be way more dangerous, but I don't find the exploration to be as difficult in this game.

Plus there's not just zombies to deal with. Lots of additional hostiles to encounter, all with different skills and motivations. Some are highly organized, others just ambush you while you're exploring.

It has just enough detail to keep me interested, but it's not overwhelming like The Witcher where you need to treat it like a movie or TV show that you're constantly keeping up with things.

It also is really good at giving you missions you can complete in ~45 minutes if that's all you have time for. Yes, there are longer ones, but they're usually flagged as "story" so you know they're potentially more of a commitment. Plenty of one shot side quests or just roam around a bit and uncover things.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:32 am Well at 24 hours played and still going strong. I really think this game is super well paced as I'm never bored or feeling like I'm just doing the same thing over and over.
Spoiler:
I just did the mission where you have to get the explosives from the mine. Holy crap that was a creepy ass mission. I was expecting a full on horde to come running in. :shock:
Yes, those locations are quite uncomfortable. Don't worry, that won't be your only trip like that. :lol:

I had a funny encounter last night, I wish I was filming it. I don't want to spoil the details, but I was basically in an area that was walled in - only one way in and out. Somehow a deer wandered in and as I was crouched in bushes scouting things out, I see the deer running full speed at me. Behind the deer was a horde of zombies, trying to chase it down. The deer is cutting left and right but eventually it's just making a b-line right towards me and dragging 50+ zombies with it. I took off and the deer of course is following me as I was just adjacent to the road - it was the path of least resistance. So there's a chain of me, followed by a deer, followed by a horde. I jumped on my bike and nitro-boosted the f out of there. No idea what happened, but I won't be going back for a while. I didn't see the horde at all - no idea it was there, but I am not amused.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You didn't try to save Bambi? Meanie! :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a crazy mixed up world in Days Gone. As someone that has been ambushed by two different things at the same exact time (wandering predators, zombies) while trying to help out humans in trouble, I'm pretty cautious out in the wild. :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI if you have an HDR monitor it REALLY makes the game pop if you use it. The colors just look amazing with it turned on. It's one of the better HDR implementations that I've seen.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I haven't even encountered animals yet. But one little detail that I find pretty neat is even with a simple thing such as an engine upgrade, the bike sounds different. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it adds character. Haven't seen that kind of detail since playing Mad Max.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's a Death Stranding upgrade you can eventually get that turns the gas tank into fetus (?) in jar. :lol:

But yeah, there's animals...and you better hope your chopper is fast enough and/or your reflexes are ready to respond.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wait, are you saying there are things like... zombie bears? :shock:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say there are plenty of reasons for you to be concerned out in the wild. Human, zombie and animal. 8-)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, what I do appreciate about this game is that it keeps you on your toes, and possibly on the edge of your seat. You never know what to expect out there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes...I thought I had it all figured out and then I went South. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am almost 60 hours in and the game completely surprised me during a side mission - something I was not expecting at all.

I'm not even going to put in spoilers so you clowns can enjoy like I did. And by "enjoy" I mean, totally swarmed and instantly killed. :D
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I was busily sneaking up on a radio tower building that held the last of three nests I needed to clear. I'd gotten involved with other quests and I found myself out trying to do this at night. I snuck up and was picking off freakers one at a time from a great patch of greenery. I heard something odd behind me, turned around, and there was an entire horde coming up the road heading directly for my hiding place. Not that they had seen me, I just happened to be in their path. I felt like the grasshopper being annihilated by fire ants.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I find getting the weapon repair skill to be incredibly useful, especially early on. I worry a lot less about weapon degradation now, since there's just so much scrap laying around and I always have more than enough.

Had a funny encounter today during one of my missions. I totally didn't expect the AI to be caught in their own bear trap, but it happened. They just wandered into it on their own and next thing I know, they're yelling that they need help. Almost felt sorry for them. Almost.

Also had my first zombie wolf encounter. :shock:

Question for those playing. I notice blue question marks from time to time. Does anybody investigate them? Do they give you new side missions? They seem to be random and sometimes disappear.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Caveat: I haven't played the game

That said, Dying Light would have blue things appear on the mini-map (I think they were blue) when a non-zombie NPC was under attack. They were basically side quests of opportunity. And I think if you failed to help, sometimes the NPCs would die and the notification would go away.

Maybe it's something like that?

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:29 am Question for those playing. I notice blue question marks from time to time. Does anybody investigate them? Do they give you new side missions? They seem to be random and sometimes disappear.
The question marks are random events of interest. They might be a fight happening between various factions or they could be something large making noise (usually because of a fight).

Sometimes yes, they will turn into blue circles when you get closer which are areas for you to explore to uncover clues. Usually this will lead you to a cache of goods or something useful (like a hidden camp). Other times, well...keep your head on a swivel. :D

They're always optional, but sometimes it could lead you a situation where you're rescuing people, which you can then direct to a camp, raising your relationship level with them.

I'd say I follow up with the ? about 50% of the time. It's just another layer of randomness with a risk/reward element in play.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, thanks. I was wondering if they were worth pursuing, or if they were more of a hassle.

Also, I want to say I possibly found a Sons of Anarchy easter egg. There was a cabin I found off the road at some point, and as I neared it, it said Teller Cabin, and there seemed to be a readable note on a table. If this game takes place in Oregon, it'd make sense, wouldn't it?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved Dying Light up until the point I was spending more time finding and switching weapons out as mine broke on squishy zombie heads. At that point I got tired of the shit breaking on soft zombie heads.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:37 pm I loved Dying Light up until the point I was spending more time finding and switching weapons out as mine broke on squishy zombie heads. At that point I got tired of the shit breaking on soft zombie heads.
Really? I don't recall any of my weapons ever breaking. Makes me wonder how you play.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd need to look it up, they definitely degraded but it wasn't a 1:1 relationship - like it was in Dead Island or Days Gone. Meaning, every time you hit something, in Days Gone, the weapon degrades. In Dying Light, I seem to remember it being random based on the quality of the weapon. I also remember you could repair it in the field to a certain level, but it would lower the overall quality -or- you could wait and have a professional fix it without loss in quality.

So early on in Dying Light you really are finding lots of trash quality melee weapons and constantly cycling through them as they break. It did get better, but I remember it took a while. I really don't think they want you to fight in Dying Light - I think they want you running and hopping over things. Yes, you do need to fight, but I didn't feel like it was a core element of the game like it is for Days Gone or Dead Island.

I honestly haven't had a problem in Days Gone. I''m primarily stealth-killing with a knife (no degradation) when I can and my current bat-axe hybrid is the shiz-nit. You're constantly picking up scrap for bike or to make things, so it really hasn't been a problem. I mean, I'm carrying two melee weapons, at least 3 different types of explosives and three different guns. If I'm dying, it's not because my bat-axe is falling apart, it's because I planned poorly or was surprised.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant read Bat-Axe without seeing a baseball bat wearing Batman's cowl with pointy little ears.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It does kinda look like the man himself! I don't remember where I found it, but I can't craft it, so I just keep repairing it. It's been by my side for quite some time now.

It's a baseball bat with a chainsaw head embedded in the core. And then you add the ax blades for fun.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of bats, I remember learning about the option to use nails to make a spiked bat, but I somehow never get the actual option for them?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You need to pop open your weapon/item wheel and move the cursor to the 12 o'clock position (where your melee weapon is). In the same way you can craft pipe bombs or bolts for the crossbow, you "craft" the different bats - assuming you have the parts in your inventory. When you try to it, it'll be white if you can, red if not and it'll tell you what you're missing.

Some of the options are double-layered and I'm not exactly what triggers that, but the various positions actually have another layer (the circle gets larger) you can build more stuff.

The item/crafting wheel is probably my only complaint. But I don't use it enough to get mad.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it can be fiddly, I noticed. I guess not having a bat at the moment would make sense, but when I had one shortly after I got that message, I still couldn't even though I had everything.

Also noticed that for some reason, the game doesn't always save your skills that you've bought. I've bought skills that upon loading into a game weren't bought anymore. It's happened to me more than once and at first I thought my memory was playing tricks on me.
Spoiler:
And I just encountered my first bear as part of the storyline that has you find the girl. Holy crap! What I found worked best is throwing molotovs at it, then hiding in a building, as it seemed to not be able to enter buildings.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh, hit my first wall at 60 (!) hours in. There's a mission that requires you to take out a horde and I have zero skills related to horde-fighting. I feel like...maybe this was not a good design decision. It's also a mission that chains from another meaning before you go on it, you don't even have a chance to possibly change to better weapons.

I tried for a solid hour, but I'm just not wired to deal with that many...things. And it's not like there's 10, it's a rather large horde. I've watched some Youtubes on what people are doing and I'm not sure if I'm capable.

I'll need to think about this. I can't say I've *ever* had an issue like this after 60 (!) hours with a game. Yes, other games, without question, but not this deep into the story.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

It's tough and frustrating, but it's also teaching you how to deal with hordes. I think you know why. There are a lot of resources around that 'training' horde. I don't mean scrap. I mean twisty, turny paths, choke points, things that explode in fireballs, etc. Speaking of hording, it's time to stop. It's time to use everything in your arsenal. With basically one exception, it's pretty easy to restock all your toys after a horde. The thrill of putting everything you've learned together and taking out a horde is the best part of the game. It's not a punishment. It's the payoff. You can do it. It's worth it.
:horse:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, I did it. Had to rethink things a bit. Lots of running away, but it was mainly attracting them to a spot and then fire or explosives. I think the key is to get the horde down to a certain level safely (reduce their number) and then after that, just continue to chip away. But once it hits a certainly point, if you have the right weapons (and assuming you're skilled enough with endurance/focus/bullet penetration/rolling), I don't think it's that difficult. But that first ~25% of the horde? Whittling them down? That is some tense, tense game play.

I did see how other players did lots of choke point running, but I really just can't seem to figure that out.

I'm sure it took me 100% longer, but slow and steady does win the race sometimes...

EDIT: No wonder it was so difficult - it's one of the biggest hordes it the whole game! (but not the biggest). That's good news then as I'd hope just about anything else would be easier. :D

If someone else gets stuck, I'll spoiler up my tactics. Not elegant or even necessarily efficient, but they worked.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There are only 2 hordes you're required to take out for the story. If you thought the first one was fun...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I can use similar tactics as this one I just beat, I'm hopeful I can cheese my way through it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you fail that mission 3 times they give you the option to skip it. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I have taken out a few hordes because I'm awesome. :P

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think that's only on Easy mode (when you can skip it) and you'd have to go back to a prior mission and set the difficult level before that one.

After I looked up how large this horde was and saw the comparative size to the ones I've been avoiding the entire game? I'm looking forward to you coming back here and sharing your experience. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I take it all back. I'm on a mission now that's absurd. ABSURD.
Spoiler:
Fighting a horde in a cave? No.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Haven't played in a few days. Got distracted by Hitman. I'll go back to it later in the week.