Metroid Dread - 10/08/21

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Metroid Dread - 10/08/21

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scraper

Re: Metroid Dread - 10/08/21

Post by Scraper »

Yeah I'm a sucker for all things Metroidvania. So I'm in and I don't even need to wait for reviews. BUT, judging from the gameplay videos it looks awesome.
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm definitely in. While what I really want is a new Prime, this will do. The first-hour impressions pieces that came out a few days back sealed the deal.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had pre-loaded this, and foolishly picked it up at about 11 PM last night. I... did not go to bed at a reasonable hour.

Granted, I've never really played a 2D Metroid (never got into the early ones, and only played the Primes on Wii). But the first few hours of this, at least, feel really good.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:34 pm Granted, I've never really played a 2D Metroid
:shock: you damn youngsters...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:21 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:34 pm Granted, I've never really played a 2D Metroid
I was around, but was a Genesis kid. Didn't play the first one on my NES, then missed Super and II by virtue of not having a Game Boy or SNES.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:26 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:21 pm
I was around, but was a Genesis kid. Didn't play the first one on my NES, then missed Super and II by virtue of not having a Game Boy or SNES.
I just posted in the Samus Returns thread (did not see this one). My kid (10) is interested in this, so any reviews would be appreciated. He has never played any Metroid games (we only have a Switch) and likes Ori and the Will of the Wisps - although is stuck on one of the areas. I will not even attempt Ori, as the the old man fingers do not have the skill to button mash that fast. :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's difficult (the EMMI stuff in particular) but I'm still loving it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:59 am It's difficult (the EMMI stuff in particular) but I'm still loving it.
My two kids thoroughly enjoyed laughing at me repeatedly dying to EMMI about 20 times in a row.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Super Metroid still holds up pretty well if you want to give it a go after Dread.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I did start this after winning Fusion late last night. It definitely looks very nice and so far runs very smoothly. This may just be a mental hadicap on my part, but it really irritates me that Nintendo reverses the A/B, X/Y button placement. I have just become used to the MS controller config where I do most of my gaming.

As I feared, my early impressions are that I am going to find the EMMI mechanic to be more annoying than fun. I am basically at an early point where I can't go back and the only way forward is through a (proper) EMMI zone. I hope I find it more fun than I did last night when I was tired and ready for bed. Haven't made it to a boss yet, but I assume I will find those really hard too. I found myself struggling with the parry - which was a bit surprising since I just played Samus Returns a couple weeks ago. Feels like the timing may be a bit different here (or I just suck). Still, I imagine this will be very very fun (if a bit rage inducing, LOL)!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:04 amAs I feared, my early impressions are that I am going to find the EMMI mechanic to be more annoying than fun. I am basically at an early point where I can't go back and the only way forward is through a (proper) EMMI zone. I hope I find it more fun than I did last night when I was tired and ready for bed. Haven't made it to a boss yet, but I assume I will find those really hard too. I found myself struggling with the parry - which was a bit surprising since I just played Samus Returns a couple weeks ago. Feels like the timing may be a bit different here (or I just suck). Still, I imagine this will be very very fun (if a bit rage inducing, LOL)!
FWIW, I made it past the first major boss yesterday, and I do think I'm getting the hang of the controls a lot better than my first hour or two. It was hard and took several tries, but did not feel unfair. Once I figured out the boss's pattern and the methods to damage it, I made it through within a couple more tries.

Definitely a difficult game, but none of the EMMI encounters so far have required optional-stage Mario levels of perfection. The biggest keys for me have been forcing myself to slow down and watch what's happening rather than entering a Hades-like adrenaline rush, and using the map function that highlights identical points of interest (eg when I unlock a new talent, highlighting all the places where I might be able to use it).
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Both the EMMI sequences and the parry mechanic (against regular enemies, not the last-ditch EMMI parry) get easier and easier as you get the hang of them. Like Zaxxon I started doing a lot better with the EMMI parts when I slowed down and thought my way through instead of just going through in a panicked rush.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I was banging against a wall of "stuck, don't know where to go" last night. Managed to go to a new area that was BRUTAL, but then got that upgrade which opened some things up. So, rewarding. Currently stuck on Kraid, which I am sure will take me a zillion tries to get by. (He looks AMAZING by the way. The graphics are excellent in this game.)

I am enjoying the Emmi sections more now. (Killed my 2nd (real) EMMI last night.) The thing the devs got right here is the consequence for failure in the EMMI sections isn't extreme. If you were respawning at your last save point, that might have been a dealbreaker for me. I agree, that trying to madly rush through these areas is wrong. Keep your eye on the mini-map (and check the map proper) and try to figure out where you want to go.

Mostly loving Dread at this point.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

My hint to myself pretty much every time I've gotten stuck so far: go to the general newest area and shoot some walls floors and ceilings.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Good advice!

Killed Kraid this evening. I was pleasantly surprised when he died since I didn't think I had hit him that much. It takes me a long time to figure out how to mix dodging / attacking in right balance to get by these bosses (this is true of all the 2D Metroid games). Even once I figure it out my poor reflexes need some luck to pull it off.

Still having fun! (With a few grumpy curse words uttered sometimes.)
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm behind you all. Just got the wide beam and headed back to Cataris to play with it. Still having fun, also with periodic cursing.

The EMMI sound would make a wonderful alarm ringtone. Would wake me right the fuck up every time.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Still enjoying Dread. Haven't made it to a new proper boss yet, but have killed a 3rd EMMI and got the speed boost. I was watching some videos of shinesparks you have to pull off to get a couple of the items and thought "Well, no need to worry about 100% completion in this game." LOL. Seriously, some of them are crazy. Have actually wanted to watch some TV the last couple days, so haven't been back since Thursday, but will get back to it today.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

I think I am fairly close to the end now (I unlocked a path to the final area last night). I have really enjoyed the game, but it's a Metroid so there has been much frustration along the way. I think all of the 2D Metroid games should offer an "easy" mode where the boss fights are a little more forgiving - and this one is no exception. I haven't yet been as frustrated here as I was in a couple of boss fights (especially the final one) in Samus Returns - but that probably has as much to do with using a proper controller as anything. But, I have certainly thought many times I may not be able to get by many bosses. There are some that have unclear mandatory requirements to get by which isn't made clear during the fight. I am amazed at people who figure this out since I am just trying not to die and don't have time to speculate on things like "Oh, I have to shoot this boss's legs off otherwise he just keeps healing himelf". I have to watch videos for almost every boss to get by them. (I guess I am just stupid.) And then, it often takes MANY attempts to get by them. I shudder at the thought of the final boss.

Another frustration with Dread is there are many times where I am itching to backtrack to old areas where you are pretty much locked away from doing so. You just never know when you are going to go somewhere and the path back is going to be locked away (sometimes permanently). You always will find another way out, but I have been burned by saying - I'll just take a quick look behind this door and then go back to old areas - only to be stuck in 2 (or more) new areas for a VERY long time before being able to go back. All Metroid games have this a bit - but not to the extent this one does.

The EMMI sections are much more fun than I would have expected (though not without some frustration). As I said before, the penalty for failure against EMMI's is pretty forgiving. I will say though, I would never have been able to get through some of these areas without successfully parrying the EMMI (sometimes more than once). So, while it's hard to always do it (I fail way more often than I succeed), you are probably going to need to pull off some parries more than once.

With all that aside, I love the game. It's really fun. Yes the bosses are overly punishing and as I said I really think Metroid games should offer an "Easy" (easier) difficulty. But, the game is beautiful, it runs at 60 FPS and is very fun. I hope it doesn't take 19 years for another new 2D Metroid, and I really hope we get a great 4th Prime game for the Switch.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Still loving it here, too. Also:

JCC

Post by JCC »

Like many of the bosses in this game, I didn't think I would be able to beat the final one. But, I finally did after many attempts. I loved Metroid Dread.... and at times I hated it.

Seriously Nintendo, offer old farts like me an "easy" mode... please.

Despite many road blocks from frustrating (but fun) boss encounters, I did mostly love the game. Beautiful graphics, very good framerate, and slick controls. (Though probably too many buttons being used here - I got confused a lot at times.)

Anyway, a must play for Metroid fans.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

Oh and on a final note, I got 99% of the items. There was one pickup left (a 10 rocket boost) where when I saw what it took to get it, I just said "nope". You have to do shinesparks to get a lot of items in this game. I was able through much trial and error to get all but this one. But given how many attempts it took me to get virtually EVERY item that required ONE shinespark and the fact that for this one you had to chain 3 of them together, I just knew it wasn't worth the frustration.

So for 2D Metroid my best item collection percentage.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm still making my way through, after a couple weeks off for travel. Just knocked off Escue this weekend. Enjoying it, but also would like an old-man mode for certain moments in the game.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Escue's upgrade is helpful in future tough fights!
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:45 pm Escue's upgrade is helpful in future tough fights!
Sure is. I had a very productive 3-hour session tonight. I think I'm getting close to the end. Still having a blast, and also have nearly destroyed my controller and Switch several times.

This is entirely accurate:

JCC

Post by JCC »

Fantastic!
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:29 amFantastic!
On a related note, Z-57 can take a long walk off a short pier. Man was that a major PITA.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:32 am On a related note, Z-57 can take a long walk off a short pier. Man was that a major PITA.
Yeah I had trouble and frustration with most if not all of the bosses. Z-57 isn't the toughest but I had a hell of a time with him too. (Z-57 spoiler!) It is possible to kill him with a shinespark at the end of the wind section. (I never came close to pulling it off, but I have seen it on YT.)
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:35 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:32 am On a related note, Z-57 can take a long walk off a short pier. Man was that a major PITA.
Yeah I had trouble and frustration with most if not all of the bosses. Z-57 isn't the toughest but I had a hell of a time with him too. (Z-57 spoiler!) It is possible to kill him with a shinespark at the end of the wind section. (I never came close to pulling it off, but I have seen it on YT.)
Yeah, there are all sorts of fun show-off moves. I saw one where you can one-shot Kraid by getting the morph-ball bomb (not the real name) very early.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I finished the game tonight. Man, that entire end sequence from the thing, to the other phases of the thing, to the other thing, to the final thing... Amazeballs all the way through.

Pretty sure I suck at Metroid, so my finish time of 12:56:07 and 59% item collection are not impressive. And Hard Mode? Lol. But I do plan to try another run-through.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Don't watch this one before finishing the game, if you intend to play it. This is a great analysis of the game, and why it's such a success.

I'm still a little blown away that we first learned about this game a few months ago, and here we are (or at least I am) recognizing it as a masterpiece, if an imperfect one.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:19 pm Pretty sure I suck at Metroid, so my finish time of 12:56:07 and 59% item collection are not impressive. And Hard Mode? Lol. But I do plan to try another run-through.
Congratulations! I had over 20 hours for my 99% item collection.

I ended up restarting the game the same night I finished it - making a bigger effort to backtrack when the opporunity presents itself. Amazing how much easier the early parts are now. I killed Kraid in only 2 attempts. It took... quite a few more tries than that the first time. Not sure if I plan to complete this 2nd playthrough or not, but we'll see...

And I agree with the short time between learning the game exists to getting and playing it. Wild.
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still going through a 2nd playthrough. Amazing how much easier most of the first half was now that I know what I am doing. Did the dreaded Z-57 boss last night and probably took me 5 tries or less. To put it midldy, it took far more tries the first time.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:11 am I am still going through a 2nd playthrough. Amazing how much easier most of the first half was now that I know what I am doing. Did the dreaded Z-57 boss last night and probably took me 5 tries or less. To put it midldy, it took far more tries the first time.
I started in on Hard mode for my re-play, and that's also been easier than try 1 on Normal. Granted, I'm only a bit into Cataris, but still. Corpius took me two tries.
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I did end up finishing my 2nd playthrough (again on Normal. I have zero appetite to try a harder difficulty). Most of the bosses were much easier the 2nd time around - though most required more than one attempt. Shockingly, I beat the final boss in my first try. I was stunned. On another note, I did get the item behind a triple shinespark, (I won't say how many attempts it took, but it was a LOT) so I 100%ed it on Normal. Great game. I am actually sad it's over (again).

I really wish Metroid would do a HD remake of the Metroid Prime Trilogy (or just make a normal trilogy port for the Switch like they did for the Wii U). I am jonesing to replay those games now, but don't have component inputs on my gaming TV, so it can't happen. I swear Nintendo is allergic to money. I still can't believe they haven't put the HD Wind Waker / Twilight Princess versions on the Switch.

I am thinking about getting Skyward Sword for the Switch since I never finished it due to the horrible controls and the repeated fetch quests. At least one of those flaws has been fixed.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm really hoping the Prime trilogy hit for Switch in the lead-up to Prime 4. Insta-buy for me.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 pm I'm really hoping the Prime trilogy hit for Switch in the lead-up to Prime 4. Insta-buy for me.
Agree 100%!
Black Lives Matter

JCC

Post by JCC »

On a completely related note, I hope this rumor of a Metroid Prime Remaster for the Switch are true. They may also do 2 and 3 which would be fantastic.
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:50 am On a completely related note, I hope this rumor of a Metroid Prime Remaster for the Switch are true. They may also do 2 and 3 which would be fantastic.
I'll take whatever they'll give me, though I'd love to get all 3 before heading into 4.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:52 am I'll take whatever they'll give me, though I'd love to get all 3 before heading into 4.
Completely agree. Hell, I'd buy them full price separately if they are true HD remasters.
Black Lives Matter