Civilization is 30 years old

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Civilization is 30 years old

Post by Daehawk »

No not that one...the computer game. This story is thanks to BluesNews.

It’s Civilization's Big 30-Year Celebration!

Theres a video there too.
Hello everyone - Sid Meier here!

As many players have learned over the last 30 years, Civilization is famous for the “one more turn” phenomenon – where you sit down to play a quick game, and then suddenly look up at your clock to discover it’s already 2 A.M. Over the years, people have asked why “One more Turn” has such an impact on players. The game designer’s answer here is that we give the player short-term goals, medium-term goals, and long-term goals that are all juggled at once in the player’s mind. You identify a place to settle a city, then figure out what technology or building or means of production you should pursue, and of course you’d have a grand vision of how big your civ would be or what type of victory condition you would try to achieve. Civilization is designed to keep pushing you forward – a new technology to discover, a new continent to explore, and you always have things to do.

But good game design doesn’t necessarily explain how we managed to reach 30 years of Civilization. To understand this, I think we need to dive deeper. At its core, what do players enjoy about Civilization? What differentiates the Civ player? It could be a love of culture or history, but there are other historical games out there. It could be that players appreciate the careful game design, but there are plenty of other well-designed games too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Re: Civilization is 30 years old

Post by dbt1949 »

So, how long is that in people years?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

248 gamer years
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I used to stay late at work so I could play Civ II on the shared Mac. There was a common room of machines to "do" email and a cube pod shared a Mac for computer work. Never had the pleasure of playing the original, though.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have it on my shelf. I didn't get it day one. More like 3 or so years later. Wasn't into it. I thought it would be perfect for me but alas not. Same with Master of Magic. Did try it enough to give up and not play again :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've put about 100 hours into Civ3 in the last couple of weeks.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I was a freshman in college, and I think I ordered it and had it delivered to the university? Either way, I didn't have a PC at that point (or it was back home, maybe my younger brother was using it?). So my roommate was kind enough to let me install it on his computer, and my friends and I hogged a lot of PC time playing it. I think it got bought/installed in a few other dorm rooms, as I recall a bunch of us playing.

Good times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember getting Civ 2 or maybe Civnet at Software etc. I thought it was better than one and played it a little. But I dont see it on my shelf so maybe I returned it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't know how I came in possession of Civ. I do remember my initial impressions were it was like Empire but way better. I also know that I purchased every iteration (not including spin offs but including SMAC) after the original.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I didn't get my first computer until late 93. A friend of mine was playing Civ on his and after watching him I got interested.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I remember getting it as a sophomore or junior in college, and being super embarrassed when my roommates came back after at least 14-16 hours (overnight?), and I was still in the same place they had left me, playing Civ. :oops: :D

Don’t worry, I showed them, though. I introduced them to Warcraft (2? 3?) and X-Wing, and then I would be the one coming home at 5a and they were still sitting at my computer playing. :D
dfs

Post by dfs »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:00 pm I don't know how I came in possession of Civ. I do remember my initial impressions were it was like Empire but way better. I also know that I purchased every iteration (not including spin offs but including SMAC) after the original.
same. I remember taking the manual into work and copying some of the charts to build my own quick reference guide.

Yeah, that was a while ago.
I purchased a 486 with a CD-Rom before my oldest was born in Jan of 1992.
I remember playing civ on the 286 we had before that, so yeah that would have been 1991.

Never bought call to power or a couple other knockoffs, but if it had Sid's name on it, I owned a legal copy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I used to bullseye TIE fighters with a mouse!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:09 pm I used to bullseye TIE fighters with a mouse!
Damned straight. I didn't but that one either :oops: but I bought every LucasArts game after that until???

And I bought collector's edition of XWing/Tie Fighter/Alliance years later and never played it. And I bought Rebellion twice so GOG could make it work on 10 when I had the hankering to play it again.