NES Mini

Discussions regarding "console only" titles, console versions of multi-platform titles, console hardware, console issues, and iPhone/iPad/Android and other mobile phone titles.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: NES Mini

Post by wonderpug » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:17 pm

It's available at Best Buy's website right now!

aaand it's gone

Kurth

Post by Kurth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:29 am

Anyone have one yet? Is it really all that great? I've read some pretty midling reviews . . .
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 am

Kurth wrote:Anyone have one yet? Is it really all that great? I've read some pretty midling reviews . . .
A few thousand people have them. They waited all night in line, or paid $300 for them, their kids played them for ten minutes, and they've been collecting dust ever since.
[This space left intentionally blank.]

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Kurth wrote:Anyone have one yet? Is it really all that great? I've read some pretty midling reviews . . .
Considering it plays ~30 year old games how great can it really be? I hope you have your nostalgia glasses on. I can't see how the actual gameplay (and graphics) can stand up to the memories.
-Coop

disarm

Post by disarm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm

coopasonic wrote:
Considering it plays ~30 year old games how great can it really be? I hope you have your nostalgia glasses on. I can't see how the actual gameplay (and graphics) can stand up to the memories.
I've had one since day one (waited outside Gamestop for 30 minutes) and I think it's pretty awesome. It's by far the easiest way to play a great selection of classic NES games, the graphics are a very clean version of the original, and the controls are a spot-on replication of the originals. The only complaint I have is that they made the controller cables way too short. Other than that, I've played it a ton and think it was well worth the $60 that I paid.

I've used emulators in the past that do a good job, but they're nowhere near as easy to use as the NES Classic.
*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing - Pillars of Eternity, Rise of the Tomb Raider

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:45 am

Hacked
This week saw separate hackers in Japan and Russia figure out soft-mod solutions to adding new games to the NES Classic. This means you don't need to grab a screwdriver or a soldering iron to mod yours.

According to the whiz kids at Reddit's NESClassicMods community, the solution won't work until you've created a save file in Super Mario Bros' first slot. (Chances are, you've already done this just by playing the game, since creating game saves is so easy with this system.) Once you've done that, connect your NES Classic Edition to a computer via a micro-USB cable, then boot the NES in "FEL" mode. This is done by holding down the system's reset button while pushing down the power button from a powered-off state. While you're booting, you should also run a "sunxi-FEL" interface on your computer.
The rest of the steps land firmly in "operate at your own risk" territory, as they require copying your NES Classic's internal data to your computer, then modifying and adding files via an application made by hackers. Doing so, by the way, includes the dubious step of supplying your own ROM files, which you may have either dumped from your own cartridges or downloaded from other Internet users. One tool linked from that Reddit community, however, comes with two open-source NES ROMs that are in the legal free-and-clear to upload to your hardware.
Silver - 5k

hentzau

Post by hentzau » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Well, if you didn't get one already, good luck!

Nintendo discontinues production of NES Classic
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Booooooo
Hodor.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Apparently the big N is moving on to a SNES Mini now, rather than the NES Mini.
Hodor.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 am

Which explains why they'd stop the cash printing press that was the existing product. Perhaps they plan to fix the simple issues with last year's model (eg short wires) while adding SNES games (something that the existing product was already far more powerful than it needed to be to do).

Sign me up for one.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:19 am

This is on the Amazon Treasure Truck here for $60.00. I'd have to go downtown to pick it up. Worth it spending an hour and a half on a Saturday?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:This is on the Amazon Treasure Truck here for $60.00. I'd have to go downtown to pick it up. Worth it spending an hour and a half on a Saturday?
It would be for me. It's really easy to mod it to load additional legally obtained ROMs, so it's pretty fun to have a huge library of whatever other legally obtained NES favorites you might have.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:35 pm

If anyone is ever near a treasure truck and they offer an NES Mini again and wouldn't mind picking one up for me, I'd be a very happy man. Would pay for shipping and toss in something extra for your time, too.
Hodor.

Sectoid

Post by Sectoid » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am

(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920