PS3 - The Last of Us - end of the world type

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

PS3 - The Last of Us - end of the world type

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zZiu1nQR5o" target="_blank

Is that Ellen Page? Looks like a mutant / end of world game. Makes me wish I had a PS3 :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Turtle

Re: PS3 - The Last of Us - end of the world type

Post by Turtle »

The character looks a lot like her, but it's a different voice actress.

I guess they wanted to make a teenager that looked older than her years, what with the whole fungal apocalypse and all, and because Ellen Paige happens to be a woman who looks way younger than her years, the two sort of just collided.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I've really been enjoying this game. Very strong characters, fun gameplay (if you're ok with 3rd person shooters), meaningful plot with what has to be the only viable zombie cause I've seen in years.

I do have a question though. I may have missed it but where exactly am I heading? From what I thought happened:
Spoiler:
We got to the MA capital and everyone was dead and we did not find a note. They just said there was a facility out west. Am I just heading "west" like a chump or is there an actual destination city that I missed?

I just want to know what I'm supposed to know. Was a city named?
Great game, few minor complaints (such as completely arbitrary storage limits or the fact that most enemies attacking me with guns also end up apparently having magically used the last bullet on me every time and must have used the same gun because I'm given no option to replace mine or pick up bullets). But as far as enjoyment of the game, I fully understand why it was so hyped up. This is the best game I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed seeing areas of Boston that I have strong memories of.

PS: This game was impossible to search for. Every word of the title is dismissed by the search engine as too common even when wrapped in quotes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its getting rave reviews and all the YouTubers are posting play throughs of it. I dont own it. I have a 360. Hoping it comes to PC.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Daehawk wrote:Its getting rave reviews and all the YouTubers are posting play throughs of it. I dont own it. I have a 360. Hoping it comes to PC.
Naughty Dog made it. They are a Sony studio so... definitely not going to happen.

But if it ever does, I strongly recommend checking it out. I'm not very far through right now though. So maybe that will change. But this game deserved the high marks it got.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Gavin:
Spoiler:
Tess directly asks you to take Ellie to Tommie, so that he can take or point you to where the Fireflies are. It's established earlier that Tommie knows where the fireflies are hanging out since he was one of them at some point. Did you accidentally skip the cutscene?

Also involves one of my favorite lines from the game, "Look, there's enough here so you have to feel some kind of obligation to me, so you get her to Tommies'." It's a heartbreaking line that kinda sums up their relationship in this f'ed up world.
If you're only that far in the game, you are in for a treat. TLoU is actually a pretty long game by today's standards.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Turtle wrote:Gavin:
Spoiler:
Tess directly asks you to take Ellie to Tommie, so that he can take or point you to where the Fireflies are. It's established earlier that Tommie knows where the fireflies are hanging out since he was one of them at some point. Did you accidentally skip the cutscene?

Also involves one of my favorite lines from the game, "Look, there's enough here so you have to feel some kind of obligation to me, so you get her to Tommies'." It's a heartbreaking line that kinda sums up their relationship in this f'ed up world.
That explains it perfectly. Thanks! I missed that part but the line as a whole also stuck with me. I've found this game to be very well written.
If you're only that far in the game, you are in for a treat. TLoU is actually a pretty long game by today's standards.
Yeah, I have no gauge for how far in it I am. I know I only just got my second set of tools and have only just arrived in that city that is in all the trailers that starts with a guy feigning injured while you're in the truck. As a married man my all-night game treks are a thing of the past.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Finally finished this game. Holy Crap, AAA game from start to finish. It would easily take game of the year or be very close up if it weren't a console exclusive. I don't know if a console exclusive ever wins game of the year from major sites. I guess they can actually do quite well. I know Halo, Journey, MGS and Uncharted 2 have both seen some major awards in that vein. Several Mario/Zelda games too.

But this game had the best console graphics of this generation as well as some of the best writing I've ever seen in games. I'm moving onto Bioshock Infinite on my 360 next.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Dat ending...

Spoiler:
Looks around sullenly, then resigned, "...ok."

I originally hated it, but now I like it. Really grey, with so many interpretations. It reminds me of The Trolley Problem ethics thought experiment in all the responses I've read. Some say Joel is a monster, other say he did right as a guardian/parental figure. Some say Ellie would have wanted this, but I think that's easy to say when they never woke her up to ask, and never told her to her face that she would have to die.

The only thing I don't like is the reason they needed to kill Ellie. They really should have wrote some other specific reason for killing Ellie than needing to gather cordyceps samples from her brain. Modern tech allows scientists to collect just a tiny sample, the size of the head of a pin, then grow that sample in incubators (also called reactors), to create a sample large enough to work with. Even just mentioning that they don't have the equipment on hand to grow a larger sample would be enough. It would make the Fireflies seem a bit more callous and unwilling to sacrifice just a bit more to go and find the equipment needed to save the world, without killing a little girl in the process.

If they need an out for a way to end the next sequel, Ellie could go looking for that equipment on her own.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Interesting.
Spoiler:
Turtle wrote:I originally hated it, but now I like it. Really grey, with so many interpretations. It reminds me of The Trolley Problem ethics thought experiment in all the responses I've read. Some say Joel is a monster, other say he did right as a guardian/parental figure. Some say Ellie would have wanted this, but I think that's easy to say when they never woke her up to ask, and never told her to her face that she would have to die.
I didn't know that was originally with a trolley. I was taught it with a train.

But I think that given how broken of a man Joel was with the death of his daughter and the acceptance of this girl as a daughter his actions are that of a father trying to save his daughter. Not of a man dooming mankind or anything else.
The only thing I don't like is the reason they needed to kill Ellie. They really should have wrote some other specific reason for killing Ellie than needing to gather cordyceps samples from her brain. Modern tech allows scientists to collect just a tiny sample, the size of the head of a pin, then grow that sample in incubators (also called reactors), to create a sample large enough to work with. Even just mentioning that they don't have the equipment on hand to grow a larger sample would be enough. It would make the Fireflies seem a bit more callous and unwilling to sacrifice just a bit more to go and find the equipment needed to save the world, without killing a little girl in the process.

If they need an out for a way to end the next sequel, Ellie could go looking for that equipment on her own.
Yeah, that bit bothered me as well. I think I actually said that to my wife the moment they claimed that. It was also weird that I had to kill the surgeon. I ended up shooting him in his big toe and he immediately died. Killing surgeons in an end-world scenario is a total dick move.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Gavin wrote:
Spoiler:
It was also weird that I had to kill the surgeon. I ended up shooting him in his big toe and he immediately died. Killing surgeons in an end-world scenario is a total dick move.
At that point,

(game-end spoilers)
Spoiler:
the surgeons were monsters, just like the raiders, cannibals, and the zombies. There was no reason to spare them; they weren't human.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

wonderpug wrote:
Gavin wrote:
Spoiler:
It was also weird that I had to kill the surgeon. I ended up shooting him in his big toe and he immediately died. Killing surgeons in an end-world scenario is a total dick move.
At that point,

(game-end spoilers)
Spoiler:
the surgeons were monsters, just like the raiders, cannibals, and the zombies. There was no reason to spare them; they weren't human.
Hmm
Spoiler:
Monsters? Maybe, but their skillset is vital and rare.
Daehawk

Re: PS3 - The Last of Us - end of the world type PS4

Post by Daehawk »

Im finally playing this on the PS4. Really having fun with it.

only trouble is my sound is awfully low volume. I have it maxed in console settings and game and have my headphones turned all the way up but barely hear it. The PS4 has been like this since day one. I think its my headphones. they are high end and high resistance or whatever and take power to push them and I dont think the PS4 can do it.

Going to test a second set and see what happens. Guess Ill dig online yet again for a fix.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any tips or strategies guys? Online sites good for it?

Im just now to my very first crafting table. It says I can upgrade my weapons. I only have 2 pistols. The starting 1911 type and a revolver I found. I can upgrade the reload speed and fire rate of either of them and the magazine size of the 1911. Im not sure which I should upgrade or with what. Can I sell stuff later somewhere? Is there a point to upgrading everything I get or just concentrate on one at a time? I have about 51 metal and each upgrade is like 15 - 20. Should I even bother?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

You won't be able to upgrade everything, but you'll be able to find enough scrap for a good selection of upgrades.

You'll want a later upgrade on some later guns for an armor piercing upgrade. Other than that, all the usual upgrades are good. Just be aware that the amount of ammo you'll find won't always max out a weapon's magazine, so those upgrades aren't always useful, but there is one rifle you'll find useful that has a tiny magazine to start.

Because of the way the guns handle in this game, some upgrades you usually overlook, like RoF are actually very useful. Such as rate of fire on the revolver, which is common ammo and slow to fire.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So they dont use a universal ammo huh? Yes Ive noticed the shortage of ammo. I mean its super rare. I turned to my wife and explained how a shooter game that has enemies shooting like crazy at me but then wont have the gun or ammo for me to loot drives me crazy :)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yeah, you really need to get comfortable with smashing guys in the head with bricks and doing stealth take-downs from behind. The game really isn't a full on shooter.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

This is also one of these games where every enemy encounter feels like a real risk and I constantly found myself weighing the pros and cons of engaging an enemy that hasn't spotted you yet. I always had enough ammo but I had to switch weapons to make sure you're not running out on ammo for any specific type of weapon and I also avoided encounters (something I rarely do in other games).
Also, picking the right weapon for the job was important for me - picked shotguns for fights where I had to hit fast enemies that were close, for example, and picking pistols and revolvers where I had an advantage and rifles only for long range. The bow is great, of course.

For upgrades, I tried to balance out the specific weakness of the weapons and also thought it was important in the beginning to get the holsters to be able to switch weapons fast instead of having to rely on reloading when the shit hits the fan.

Also - I played very slowly and never rushed into any situation. I found the "listening" (not sure that's the right term) skill to be the most important one in the game to stay on top of encounters.

Great game!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I listen a lot. I try to kill everything I come across. Its fun to me that way but earlier I let this one guy go that was wandering away only to fight 3 guys and be low on health and ran right into him coming back and he killed me. No more survivors!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh no..........I just realized I missed a safe. I found a safe combination but didn't look for the safe and now Im in an entire different area. Looking online it says it would have been near where I found the combo. Plus they have really good stuff in them. Oh no. Hope Im not gimped badly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I found a combination in one area and no safe. then in another area I found a safe and decided to clear the bad guys before looking for the combo. I went through a window to kill some guys and it closed behind me so no way back to the safe. I looked online and Ive missed 3 full safes!!!

I have no idea what in them but people say lots of goodies. Im guessing they are filled with upgrade materials because Ive looked well as I go and only found enough stuff to upgrade both holsters to hold 2 weps. Thats it.

Im thinking about just quitting or maybe starting the game over but Im not sure I will bother.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All I can say is that it is one of the best games I've ever played, and that is all because of the characters and the story. The ending is the best I've seen in a game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im betting someone else dies and Ill hate it.

But am I gimped when it comes to safes and upgrades? Ive got 1 extra holster each for pistols and rifles and Ive upgraded the reload on the pistols. Will that be enough if I dont find much more? Im in the hotel and im starting to feel this game is going to be super short.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant recall if I mentioned Im playing on PS4 . So when Im done I still have the little addon to play.

Im in Pittsburgh right now. Rough town. They just dont like me and Ellie's jib cut or something. I cant count the number of scrawny chicken necks Ive had to wring or how many slices Ellie has taken out of them. She even shoots now. Want to give her the bow but Joel just doesn't trust her with it or something. Gave her a puny little pop pistol.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Blackhawk wrote:All I can say is that it is one of the best games I've ever played, and that is all because of the characters and the story. The ending is the best I've seen in a game.
+1
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Daehawk wrote:Im betting someone else dies and Ill hate it.

But am I gimped when it comes to safes and upgrades? Ive got 1 extra holster each for pistols and rifles and Ive upgraded the reload on the pistols. Will that be enough if I dont find much more? Im in the hotel and im starting to feel this game is going to be super short.
I'm pretty sure I missed a couple of safes and I was fine (although I might have played on a lower difficulty setting ...) In the end, I was loaded with weapons and ammo (and actually found out later that I did not even use 1 or 2 weapons at all during the whole game).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Headed for the radio tower now. Sad seeing the world like it is.

As great and fun as the game is I can wish for more. Id like some hidden secret areas to discover. Id love a LOT more interaction with Ellie. Id like to talk to her more and Id like to be able to equip her with what I want....maybe even have stats and skills for her to be upgraded. At times when she uses a vent or something Id like to be the one who controls her.

Theres a lot here but Id like more. Im not sure how it will end..i have the feeling it will be like Telltale's Walking Dead game ending and I hope not because I want a sequel. But I fear that Joel is not long for the world.....or that they'll want to dissect Ellie. Shall see.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Daehawk wrote:Headed for the radio tower now. Sad seeing the world like it is.

As great and fun as the game is I can wish for more. Id like some hidden secret areas to discover. Id love a LOT more interaction with Ellie. Id like to talk to her more and Id like to be able to equip her with what I want....maybe even have stats and skills for her to be upgraded. At times when she uses a vent or something Id like to be the one who controls her.

Theres a lot here but Id like more. Im not sure how it will end..i have the feeling it will be like Telltale's Walking Dead game ending and I hope not because I want a sequel. But I fear that Joel is not long for the world.....or that they'll want to dissect Ellie. Shall see.

Lots of games have blown their endings (I'm looking at you ME3) but The Last of Us wasn't one of them. The end should leave an impression on you if you are vested in the story.

Also, Tell Tales Walking Dead games have several different endings, if you replay them making different choices throughout the end can be extremely different.
FTE
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I thought this could be one of the endings it was leading up to. This game pisses me off sometimes. Feels damn good though to get to the hospital and start shooting fireflies.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:I thought this could be one of the endings it was leading up to. This game pisses me off sometimes. Feels damn good though to get to the hospital and start shooting fireflies.
Have you finished it? If not, don't click.
Spoiler:
It's funny how peoples' reactions to the ending tend to be about 25% "Yay! I get to shoot the Fireflies!" and the rest think, "Holy crap, I've become the villain of this story. When did that happen?" Then you look back at it and realize you've been there for a while, but never quite realized it.

It reminds me of a much more subtle Spec Ops: The Line.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not yet. Soon'ish.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just finished Last of Us.....amazing game..now one of my favorites. Loved the ending pretty much. Wish there had been another way....Ill start the addon next week perhaps
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done with the addon.

Just a wonder about the ending.....
Spoiler:
I wonder if Elie killed Riley when she changed?
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just finished the Remastered version of this game, both the main game and Left Behind add-on.

For about the first third of the game, I played on Hard difficulty. I enjoyed the challenge of using stealth, my limited resources, and the environment.

Then I guess the game got too hard. I never became proficient at using the interface, taking too long to select the right weapon and aim it. I would spend a lot of time sneaking around and setting up traps and ambushes, only to have them fail for one reason or another and getting killed in the resulting fight. And I was tired of the story that seemed to be headed nowhere.

So I set the game on Easy difficulty and played the rest of the game as expediently as possible. I didn't enjoy it, but it was kind of worth it to see the ending. That was the best kind of surprise ending; you don't see it coming, but upon reflection you realize you should have.

I enjoyed Left Behind because it was brief, plot-focused, and had great, well-acted characters. I liked the little bit of prologue and side-story it added to the main story. It was fun to play as a kid and do kid stuff. And I think they could have made a second add-on that answered the question Daehawk raised in his spoiler just above this post.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I really need to get back to this. Someday. I started it on the PS3 but then got distracted by something shiny. Bought the Remastered version for the PS4 and didn't get very far before more shiny came along. Trying to turn over a new leaf and finish things nowadays or at least finish them... enough... so that I don't feel regret about my choice of stopping point. It's a work in progress. :|
-mf