Journey [PS3 via PSN]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Journey [PS3 via PSN]

Post by Hipolito »

I've played the latest game from thatgamecompany. Like its predecessors Flow and Flower, Journey is an audiovisual poem told without words. It's about exploring a world, figuring out its rules, making stuff happen, and deciding for yourself what it all means.

The less you know about the game, the more you'd enjoy it, so I won't say much. You play a robed figure walking through a desert toward a distant landmark. Along the way, you encounter things and are told a story through pictures. I'm not sure what the story's message is, but it seems to be quite similar to that of Flower. I was disappointed that the story seemed to be a retread until the end suggested that something more personal was involved.

The game is ridiculously, embarrassingly beautiful. It sounds sumptuous, too; crank up your rumbly stereo speakers to enjoy the sound effects and music. I think the game would fit in well at a contemporary art museum. In fact, a non-gamer art student may get more enjoyment watching the game than the person playing it.

I like this game a lot more than Flow and Flower. I might not really "get" it, but at least I don't feel cheated by it. Journey gives me more control over my character. Its world feels big, has a sense of history, and offers more meaningful and varied interaction. It's worth its $15.00 price even though it only takes 3 hours to play. I was about to write that the game has no replay value, but now that I think about how intoxicating some parts of it felt, I'll probably play it again in the future.
Lordnine

Re: Journey [PS3 via PSN]

Post by Lordnine »

Completed Journey a couple days ago. While I feel that $15 for under 3 hours is a bit pricey I don't regret buying it at all. Not really much can be said about it other than it's more of an experience than a game. I was actually sad when my first "friend" got separated from me and I never saw him again.