Disney Infinity 2013-2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Disney Infinity 2013-2016

Post by Isgrimnur »

And you thought Skylanders was bad.

I give you Disney Infinity, coming in June.

Official Site.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu May 12, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Re: Disney Infinity

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this is going to be bananas. Not just for people looking to play it because all the Disney collectors are going to jump on the figures. At least they're giving me a good 5+ months to get everything as I expect Xmas 2013 is going to be insane.

If they actually make a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance but with figures you can purchase and then level up (more like Skylanders, not using this "disc thing"), I'm pretty sure I'll go broke.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

More info on the pricing:
After the starter pack with three figures, priced at $74.99, Play Sets will be available for $34.99, with Power Discs available in a pack starting at $4.99. It's not hard to imagine Disney leveraging Infinity on its other ventures as well: Go see Monsters University, get a special exclusive Power Disc. Go visit Disneyland, pick yourself up an exclusive figure. Disney's reps wouldn't confirm any plans like that, but they did smile and nod when asked.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Well I thought it looked pretty cool until you posted that pricing info.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

House of the Mouse licensing doesn't come cheap. :D They're going to sell a billion copies regardless because of the collector market for all things Disney.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My kids surprisingly never took to the classic disney stuff. Even though they watched Mickey's playhouse as toddlers, and enjoy some Disney games, and my daughter is all about Tinkerbell fairy stuff, they just don't seem to be attached to it. I can't get them to watch most of the original Disney movies more than once, and some not at all.

I'm not a fan of Disney the corporation and that pricing is nuts (I'm already not happy about the Skylander crap we have) so I'm not going to lose any sleep over my kids not going crazy for this new product.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, our daughter really couldn't be bothered with 90% of the Disney nonsense. However, Phineas and Ferb (and more importantly Perry) as well as the Nightmare Before Christmas make this more interesting. Once you add in the possibility of Marvel Superheroes and Star Wars? Good luck resisting. Can you imagine an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter game where you purchase models of the ship you want to fly? And like Skylanders the figures "level up" as you cruise around, unlocking abilities or different attacks? They might has well just start taking people's money now.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I showed this to my 13 year old daugther, and she thought it was a lot of fun. And then Perry showed up and it became "DAD! WE MUST HAVE THIS!!!"
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Smoove_B wrote:House of the Mouse licensing doesn't come cheap. :D They're going to sell a billion copies regardless because of the collector market for all things Disney.
I used to know the Disney license pricing schedule -- 6-15% of net sales, I think.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, even I like Phineas and Ferb.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

August 18th per the Amazon page. Figures are listed at $12.99 per, which is less than list price on Skylanders Giants ($14.99).
Smoove_B

Re: Disney Infinity - August 18th, 2013

Post by Smoove_B »

Latest trailer:
Become a Disney hero like Wreck-It Ralph, Jack Sparrow or Buzz Lightyear. In the Disney Infinity Toy Box, create any adventure you want - It's up to you and your imagination!

Build your own levels and design your own gaming experiences and share your one-of-a kind creations with your friends with up to 4-player co-op play! Unlock virtual toys from each Disney Infinity Play Set -- characters, buildings, weapons, gadgets and more -- and bring them into the Disney Infinity Toy Box where you can mix them all up to create your own game.

Build, race, smash, run, fly, be a hero or a villain -- Play your way!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the trailer for the Lone Ranger -- now coming to Disney Infinity.

I sort of feel like I need to hedge my bets for Xmas and pick up the base set. Skylanders is still king, but I can't shake the feeling this is going to be big.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Toy Box world creation.

If anything is going to give Infinity the ability to stick around, it will certainly be the toy box mode. We've grown completely bored with Skylanders at this point as there is nothing new under the sun anymore.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

It sounds like it is going to be neat but a total money grab. As in much more expensive than Skylanders. That probably wouldn't bother me as much if the game, itself, were updated/patched rather than having to buy a new game. The cost keeps going up and up in my mind and it's getting into the thousands.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'm about to bite on this. I've got two little ones who are crazy about anything Disney. And I've got a couple Target gift cards so I'll be able to get the starter pack at about 1/3 the price. Then if they like it, we can expand later. Hope it's fun.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote:It sounds like it is going to be neat but a total money grab. As in much more expensive than Skylanders.
That would be quite the feat -- I think I've paid more now for the Skylanders franchise than I did for buying into Rock Band. Between the figures and the starter sets, it's not a cheap game at all. At least with the Disney stuff you have the ~$5 packs for booster discs. In theory that should be more useful than buying the new version of $10-15 characters to get a fixed set of powers.

In for a penny, in for a pound - that's what I say. After seeing just how quickly we've become bored with Skylanders (which in full disclosure we totally went overboard on), the idea that a virtual sandbox is included here is probably a bigger draw for me at this point than the Disney license. I have the intro set pre-ordered as well as one of the packs that includes Mike Wazowski as Monsters Inc / University is a family favorite over here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I saw thia when I was in Disney and instantly thought oh god Smoove is screwed. Hell I think I'm screwed this looks awesome.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I think I'll wait and see what the next skylanders brings. I agree that the sandbox would be a great addition. My kids love sandbox games (especially the younger one). They will create levels in Minecraft and Little Big Planet 2 the entire day if we let them.

I think I'd have to tell the kids they would have to pick one or the other, though, and sell the skylanders to get Infinity.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote:I think I'll wait and see what the next skylanders brings.
As near as I can tell, it's more of the same. They added jumping to the gameplay and added elemental gates that require two skylanders (i.e. multiplayer) to unlock. Other that, it looks identical (from what I've seen).

Without question I'm definitely planning on dialing back completely with this one in particular. I'll get the base game and a bunch of the swappers, but I'm not buying another 40 Skylanders each year. We have enough and she ended up playing the same 5. Hell, last week she decided to play through a whole bunch of her favorite areas again and rather the use lower level guys, she picked the same group of five or so that are completely maxed out with experience and have nothing to gain but money. That was the lightbulb moment for me.
pushmepullyou

Post by pushmepullyou »

I saw a pokemon version at gamestop the other day. Everyone's getting into it...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

....and down to $59.99 with Prime on Amazon. :evil:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:....and down to $59.99 with Prime on Amazon. :evil:
Yeah. And my son just bought this weekend before last. He was dying it get it, I kept telling him to wait until Christmas and his birthday, but he pointed out to me that he had a couple of hundred dollars in the bank that was mostly Christmas and Birthday money that we told him to put away until there was something that he really wanted, and this was something that he REALLY WANTED!!!

Then he went and talked his sister (who is a Disney nut) into going halves with him on it, so the both got enough out to get the base set plus the sidekicks pack. I'm going to start buying some figures for Christmas and birthdays because part of the deal was that he wasn't going to spend any more money on figures. But he's gotten a ton of play out of it so far.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:....and down to $59.99 with Prime on Amazon. :evil:
neener... still not buying it.

My biggest problem now is that I have about 20 skylanders figures I still havent given my son... and I have a XBOne on pre-order so the 360 is going to disappear... hmm... I guess I will be running both for a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Amazon has Buy 2 figures, get a 3rd one (from a list of 12) free. Use the OOfiliate link.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

When I purchased earlier today, it was actually buy one, get one. I don't know if they still have that pricing error.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really sure what they're doing with the Infinity platform, but this suggests that the Avengers are en route.

I think that the base set and associated adventures (Incredibles, Monster University, Pirates of the Carribean) are all excellent and worth the price of admission. I was excited to see they just released the Phineas and Ferb figures but they're only playable in toybox mode - no associated adventures. There's a bunch of other characters (like Jack Skellington) that have the same problem. I know that there are other adventure sets, but I think it was a big mistake to release figures for use in toybox mode only. Maybe their plan is to eventually release adventure packs, but why water-down the franchise now? We already have too many Skylanders, though thankfully I think we've all but lost interest. The open-ended nature of the LEGO Marvel and LEGO Movie games seem to have won this round...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I find it interesting, especially since there's been no detailed information to the current gen of systems. There's speculation about DI2 coming by the end of the year, but that could just as easily be the Marvel figure releases.

They made it clear last summer that they're in for the long haul. And with the Disney Vault stuff, they can keep fresh content in the public eye for close to a decade, well through this gen's cycle.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It just seems...rather half-assed at this point. If they just released that core starter set I can say from what I've seen in our house -- there's a good 20-30 hours of game play for a child using the story mode for each of the included characters. Add in the Lone Ranger, Toy Story and Cars adventure sets and I think you have a solid offering - particularly when you can then purchase other figures from the adventures that aren't included.

Why they thought releasing those single characters was a good idea, I don't know. The sandbox is fun, but I don't think it's made better by adding a $13 Wreck It Ralph or Rapunzel figure. If their "long term plan" is to just spam out stand-along figures you can play with in the toy box...I don't see this game lasting very long. The figures will sell (I'm sure) to people that want to put them on a shelf, but in terms of being used in a game? Not happening...based on what I've seen in my living room.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup I have the same thoughts about the system. Releasing characters with no associated adventure pretty much killed it for our house. We haven't bought a single one of the one off characters.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had the Phineas and Agent P pack pre-ordered...until I realized it was just a double-character pack - no adventure. My daughter would be bonkers out of her mind to play an Agent P / Phineas and Ferb themed adventure. But to just get a figure to run around in a world she has to create first? Meh.

That's why I'm rather curious about the Avengers. The fact that they have all the other adventure-pack characters in the teaser trailer is encouraging...

I don't even think they need a new game for this coming holiday -- just release stupid adventure packs.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One thing I missed is at the end of the video Smoove linked is the 2.0 flag in the upper right. That pretty well cements for me that the Marvel characters aren't going to be just one-off toybox characters. The real trick is to whether or not this will come as a new disc expansion with current gen support or another round of characters with attached playsets.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was actually thinking they'll whore them out as part of the new 2015 movie release...
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm confident a fair number will be out before Christmas. Maybe save a few for 2015? Or just come out with variations for that movie?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Octavious wrote:Yup I have the same thoughts about the system. Releasing characters with no associated adventure pretty much killed it for our house. We haven't bought a single one of the one off characters.
My kids enjoy running around with a lot of the characters in toybox mode, my daughter's favorite is Rapunzel. My son hates it when she pulls her out though...her frying pan is DEADLY!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Updates inbound at 10am PST at this link!

infinity.disney.com/webcast
stessier

Post by stessier »

Disney claiming 3 million starter sets sold and about $500 million in sales.

Toyboxes have been created by users and the best are pushed out free on a weekly basis. Amazing - claiming credit for users work. :lol:

Disney Infinity Marvel Superheroes - will launch this fall. Captain America, Fury, Ironman, Hawkeye, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, Loki, and Spiderman shown.

Edit: 12 Slots - In order shown - Ironman, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widoow, Thor, Hulk, Game Piece (???)....why have 12 slots but only reveal 8 things?

Edit; There will be new Disney characters in 2.0 as well.

Edit: No further support for Wii. Heard it didn't have the power they need and now they don't have to compromise to get things to run.

And my stream is dead.
Last edited by stessier on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah, they're going to make bank over this. I'm watching it now and the quick shots of what's coming - even if they're not player characters looks pretty crazy.

EDIT: Excellent -- my autographed Bendis artwork just jumped in value. :)

EDIT: Damn...this seems half-assed. Showing off tiny little figures on a flat board? The staged banter is also awful. Did they spend all money on development and have nothing left for marketing and this dog and pony show?

EDIT the THREE: The base is compatible? That could be the killer going against Skylanders this Fall. Not needing to spend $80 and dustbin ANOTHER portal is huge.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:EDIT: Damn...this seems half-assed. Showing off tiny little figures on a flat board? The staged banter is also awful. Did they spend all money on development and have nothing left for marketing and this dog and pony show?
Agreed - this is like a bad Apple reveal.