Disney Infinity 2013-2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Disney Infinity

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From the video it indicates they are "playable in the toybox". No thanks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Widow as part of the Marvel Starter Pack.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Guardians of the Galaxy play set announced. Goodnight moon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Anyone have this on their PC? And what do you think is the appropriate age range?

My kids can do LEGO, but the 5 year old prefers to run away from battles.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Zarathud wrote:Anyone have this on their PC? And what do you think is the appropriate age range?

My kids can do LEGO, but the 5 year old prefers to run away from battles.

I don't have it on the PC, but my 8 year old and 5 year old play it on the PS3. The 8 year old loves the world building aspect, and the 5 year old loves to run around and play in the worlds they build together. She also likes to just play with the characters outside of the game like any other action figure.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We've had it since launch and we honestly haven't played it that much. My daughter likes it, but she only really likes it when I play with her. The building portion was annoying to her because you have to spend so much time just unlocking stuff. And it's all random how you unlock things to make it even more annoying. I believe they changed that in the new one at least.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Samurai93

Post by Samurai93 »

My son absolutely loves DI, and we got DI2.0 as well. Being 4 he plays in the toybox the most building worlds. A lot of the complaints I have heard, that I echo, are the building and the randomness on getting new toys... that has all changed in 2.0. The thing I really like in the new version is the parametric builders. I despised building race tracks, but my son likes racing on them. The new system has the parametric builder where I just tell the system to sue this area and build a new track and it is different every time, or at least so far. The MMO part of the skill tree is a welcome addition, but not being able to get them all might be frustrating. You can reroll your skills 2 at least 2 times, but I would rather not have a limit on that.

Like character, ex: Spiderman\Venom, still seem kind of like a skinning mod but at least the amount of characters seem to differentiate a lot more than the original.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

FYI from what I understand, if you have 1.0 they will be releasing a digital unlock next month for 20 bucks. This will allow you to use the 2.0 toybox. This will also allow you to buy the sets for 2.0 as the base from the first game is compatible. That cuts the cost considerably for me and I'm sure we'll grab it next month.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Samurai93

Post by Samurai93 »

The Marvel side of the game is what I think you might be missing with the toybox only. The city in that side is nice... big and high. Just the thing for a flying super hero or web slinging friend.

Oh another improvement in the DI2.0... since the main games are all Marvel and unlike DI1.0 you can now collect coins and once you get all of the same character coin you can bring that character over to the playset. We have Ironman now playing in the spiderman playset. I never liked the idea that characters could only play in their playset or the toybox.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Samurai93 wrote:The Marvel side of the game is what I think you might be missing with the toybox only. The city in that side is nice... big and high. Just the thing for a flying super hero or web slinging friend.

Oh another improvement in the DI2.0... since the main games are all Marvel and unlike DI1.0 you can now collect coins and once you get all of the same character coin you can bring that character over to the playset. We have Ironman now playing in the spiderman playset. I never liked the idea that characters could only play in their playset or the toybox.
It's expected that Marvel will come out as a separate toybox like the other 2. So assuming you want the Marvel stuff 20 + 35... Still 20 bucks cheaper and I won't have two bases.

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Has anyone tried the PC version. You can get it for £30 the 360 version is £60. You don't get the actual figures though, it's all digital. Something I don;['t have a problem with though. Also the digital figures cost £4 rather than £8 meaning I can save a bit expanding the choice.

Also how does it work with the 1.0 stuff. If I only have 2.0 and say get Lightning MCqueen do you get his area to play in or do you just have to build something in sandbox mode for him or do you just use them in the zones that come from 2.0. The forums are hopeless and it doesn't seem easy to find any answers especially on the PC versions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ok. What the hell. What the holy hell.

I picked this up for the kiddo and I have no idea what is going on. Play set, toy boxes, power discs, compatibility...

Just thought I'd say that. I'll search out a guide but damn, this is obtuse.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Picked up what? I understand it all now. Probably the biggest issue is understanding the difference between Play Sets and just characters. I wasn't really sold on the idea at first, but it's a great game. The Toybox is also really entertaining.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Picked up a 1.0 starter set (Mr. Incredible, et al) and the 2.0 download/upgrade (Wii U).

We figured out where the power disc goes. What is the crystal thing that goes on the base? The "world"?

Do we have to unlock something to do local co-op? Do we need characters from the same play set?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Picked up a 1.0 starter set (Mr. Incredible, et al) and the 2.0 download/upgrade (Wii U).
Got it.
We figured out where the power disc goes.
Some of discs are for the toy box (parallelograms) - they change themes, add color palettes or items that you can play with. The round discs are stat boosters that change your character during game play.
What is the crystal thing that goes on the base? The "world"?
Correct - that's the "Play Set" theme piece. So for the 1.0 Starter set that crystal thing gives you access to Pirates of the Caribbean, The Incredibles and Monster U.
Do we have to unlock something to do local co-op? Do we need characters from the same play set?
Probably the weakest element - in order to play the game co-op you need two characters from the same Play set. So out of the box, the 1.0 Starter set means you're unable to do so. You can, however, do the Toybox with any two characters. That's great, but it's also adding to the confusion because you can buy awesome Jack Skellington (for example), but he's useless outside of the Toy Box because there's no Play Set that he works with. There are many stand-alone characters like that, so just make sure you're clear on those things when looking to buy them (and explaining to your kid why you can't take Agent P to Monster U, for example).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Hmm. I was thinking about buying this for the PC. Not having interchangeability is not something I want to explain to the kids right now.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Similar to LEGO Marvel, I cannot play this game in co-op --- even on a 37" TV. The split screen makes my eyes bug out (more so for LEGO Marvel with the auto-split screens that merge back when you're close) but maybe for the current generation of gamers it's not a big deal.

I think it's better to think of the Infinity play sets almost like their own self-contained games -- and I think that's why the 2.0 set came bundled as "Marvel Super Heroes Edition" because you then get co-op right out of the box. But with the 1.0 version, you really do have three different games (and they're all quite good on their own).

There are some backwards compatibility issues too. All the figures work in the 2.0 toy box but if you want to play the 1.0 play sets (Cars, Lone Ranger, Toy Story) you need to have the 1.0 retail game. I have no idea why, but that's unfortunate.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

One of the best things to do with this game is to go to the User Content section and Download some of the player made toy boxes. Some of them are really good and they add an "Infinite" amount of play-ability to the game. Look for the highest rated and most downloaded ones. Most of them are really good and offer up several different game modes.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars trailer...
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

My five year old is getting big-time into super heroes so I was thinking of maybe grabbing Infinity 2.0 as something we can play as co-op. I walked into an EB to learn more and the guy there basically talked me out of it saying that with 3.0 coming out there is no point and the game isn't that popular anyway so I shouldn't even bother. The thing is, I'm not all that interested in 3.0 because my son isn't really big into Star Wars yet, but he loves Marvel, so I really don't care if 2.0 is "obsolete". Thoughts from those that own it? Should I avoid, as recommended?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The 2.0 Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy adventure packs are still being played in my house by our 9 year old. I think 2.0 is much better than 1.0, no thoughts on whatever is coming with 3.0. I have seen 2.0 stuff in clearance bins so maybe he's right about it not selling very well, but that just means your start-up costs are going to be much lower. I would definitely recommend Infinity over Skylanders, that's for sure.

Also, if you haven't picked up LEGO Marvel, consider that as well. If you're totally not sure about the whole Infinity game platform, LEGO Marvel is another title that is still played a few times a week here. Plenty to do (and unlock).
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Thanks Smoove, appreciate the info.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I still don't understand the whole thing but we've had fun. I pick up a bunch of packs on sale, stash them, and slowly break them out as we finish other sets. Non-sandbox gameplay ("stories"?) is still a bit complex for a not-quite-5-year-old but she likes to watch me play through.

I think adding to my confusion is the fact that I haven't seen any of the Marvel/Avengers movies so I have no idea who is supposed to go with who. I do much better with the Disney movie sets.

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Got the kids the 3.0 set and gave it to them yesterday. They absolutely love it, and I have to admit the gameplay looks a lot of fun. I may have giggled like a little schoolgirl when during the intro tutorial you were flying in the falcon blowing up tie fighters. I'm letting them do the Clone Wars set right now, but when the rise of the empire set comes out I may be commandeering the controllers.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

hentzau wrote:Got the kids the 3.0 set and gave it to them yesterday. They absolutely love it, and I have to admit the gameplay looks a lot of fun. I may have giggled like a little schoolgirl when during the intro tutorial you were flying in the falcon blowing up tie fighters. I'm letting them do the Clone Wars set right now, but when the rise of the empire set comes out I may be commandeering the controllers.
Ya I'm finding the set mighty tempting. The Lego game looming in the shadows is kind of holding me down. But Star Wars....

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My daughter, the Kingdom Hearts fanatic, desperately wants one of the D23 Exclusive Kingdom Hearts King Micky costume power discs. But they're going for around $150 on Ebay right now. :(

They're running a contest to win one, but we would have to make a video to enter.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Since I already had a base we grabbed the Inside Out set and I purchased 3.0 through the store. 55 bucks instead of 65. I'll grab the Star Wars set later. Haven't really had a chance to try it for more than a few minutes. The toy box looks cool though and I love that they have skill trees for the old characters. This might have been added in 2.0, but I skipped that.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote:My daughter, the Kingdom Hearts fanatic, desperately wants one of the D23 Exclusive Kingdom Hearts King Micky costume power discs. But they're going for around $150 on Ebay right now. :(

They're running a contest to win one, but we would have to make a video to enter.
KH News
A LinkedIn page belonging to a former Square Enix game designer reveals new information about upcoming titles in the Kingdom Hearts series, popular fansite KH13.com is reporting.

According to the profile, a new game for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 is currently in development. Called Kingdom Hearts 2.9, the title previously made a brief appearance on Square Enix's E3 schedule from this past June. The game was quickly and quietly removed, and has not been heard from since.

The developer's LinkedIn experience also provides new, potential Kingdom Hearts 3 features. His involvement with that game included "multiplayer planning and documentation" and planning the addition of the Gummi Ship. Additionally, the developer participated in meetings involving both Disney and Pixar, suggesting the latter's properties could finally make it into the game.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not sure if it's still going on, but on Saturday Gamestop was selling used figures. Buy 2 get 3 free. :shock:

This is one of the smaller gamestops so they didn't have a great selection, but we ended up getting 5 characters for like 22 bucks.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Dang. I could use a few from 2.0 wave 3 that we never got...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They still are running the sale. Now Ibhave to figure out where to put this army I collected.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just helped my kids do a video for a contest for the power disc that lets you put Mickey Mouse into his Kingdom Hearts outfit. My daughter REALLY wants one.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

New Star Wars set comes out tomorrow and Best Buy has it up for pre-order for 25. Yes please. Inside out set is on sale as well.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh target is running a sale as well. Darn it already preordered. Oh well just a little more out of the way.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I had the new SW set pre-ordered on Amazon. Ah well. Wonder if I sent in a note saying "HEY! Best Buy is selling it cheaper!" if they would honor it?

Edit: Reported the lower price. We'll see what happens.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meanwhile gamestop will be selling it for 40. I hate them. :P

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

We got to play around with the new set for about 45 minutes. Very fun as long as you don't mind them totally jumbling the story around. Luke's force jump is awesome. :mrgreen:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Amazon refunded the extra $10. Whee.