[Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freezer-TPF-

Re: [Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote: Or am I supposed to believe gamers will be interested in watching replay videos of themselves unlocking achievements?
Dude, I would totally vine that to your snapchat.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

hepcat wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
IceBear wrote:What's your other hobby? Just curious.
I'm an unpaid actor in the adult industry, hence it's a hobby and not a job.
fluffer?
No, just stuntcock. I wish I was a fluffer.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Smoove_B wrote:Stop trying to turn gaming into a social media tool
It seems that alongside its constant background recording of the last 5 minutes of gameplay, the Xbox One’s DVR will automatically record gameplay every time an achievement is unlocked.

Pollington also said that the Kinect could be used to record the player’s reaction whenever an achievement is unlocked, if developer decided to include the feature.
Or am I supposed to believe gamers will be interested in watching replay videos of themselves unlocking achievements?
I think it's pretty cool actually. And it would be smart to try and go the social media route. Microsoft just can't win with some people even when they come up with something cool.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Getting angry about features that you never have to use only makes sense if you view it through the lens of resources that could have been used to make or improve some other, unspecified feature.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Get ready for a lot of videos of wonderpug trying to figure out how to disable achievement notifications.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not even an anger issue. I'm just befuddled that there's a untapped market of gamers demanding a camera film them at the exact moment they unlock "Your Back Seat Smells Funny" in Saint's Row the Third .
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There's actually a huge market of gamers that post walkthroughs and achievement guides on YouTube. This makes things very easy for them. As far as Kinect filming their reactions, that's just fluff because they can. I highly doubt it took a great deal of resources to add that little feature. And it did state that's something that *could* be done if the developer chose. I could see it being more apt in party type games for humor factor, like Dance Central taking snapshots while you're making a fool of yourself.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Now that I think about it more, this feature is a brilliant move. It's not really about the achievements, it's about the scene in the game that triggered the achievement. I could see some entertaining youtube compilations coming out of this, be it reactions to a super scary moment, a big plot twist, or an achievement for dying in a particularly frustrating or embarrassing manner in a multiplayer game.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smoove_B wrote:Or am I supposed to believe gamers will be interested in watching replay videos of themselves unlocking achievements?
They aren't. I read a discussion about this yesterday, and the consensus seemed to be that all such videos would just have people looking normal, with their eyes focused on the achievement popup. It's kind of useless as far as features go.

Now the recording of in-game actions of achievement gains is a clever feature, one of the first actually innovative and good ideas from Microsoft in a while. This is one I can see Sony copying sooner rather than later. It's not like you couldn't already record your achievements with these systems already, but the clever bit with the Xbox One is that it does it automatically (and can probably be configured). It'll probably encourage more interesting use of achievements in games too, as a recording of someone finishing a "gather all the book pages" kind of achievement would be incredibly dull, while someone finishing something like "achieve a 200-hit combo" would be far more entertaining.
Insert witty comment here.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

I'm fine with all of this so long as it's easy to turn off. The idea of losing horsepower because my console is automatically recording everything in the background really bothers me.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Canuck wrote:I'm fine with all of this so long as it's easy to turn off. The idea of losing horsepower because my console is automatically recording everything in the background really bothers me.
I don't think either console loses anything by doing this. The PS4 has a dedicated chip for this purpose, and the Xbox One uses the OS part of the system. We do know at this point that roughly 10% of the Xbox One's CPU capacity is set aside for Kinect and the OS anyway, so as long as this feature doesn't surpass that, it shouldn't cause any further problems.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

As implemented right now in the current Kinect, this feature is actually pretty cool at times. Kinect games are basically family games in my house. They're actually the only time the whole family (including my wife) gets together for gaming. Last weekend, we fired up Kinect Sports 2 for a darts competition. My wife and I played as a team and squared off against our 10 year old son, 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son. It's a first to two wins game, so after an hour or so (and a few beers later for the adults), my daughter ended up the big winner of the evening. We had a great time, but the best was at the conclusion when the Kinect automatically played through a slide show of pictures captured during the match. Seeing some of the impromptu pics snapped of the kids and us was really fun.

It's the kind of feature I would definitely have said was ridiculously stupid . . . until I had a lot of fun with it. :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Same thoughts here. At first I thought it was stupid but then we really started having some fun with the pictures, cool poses etc. Maybe I'm juvenile but I got a kick out of it with the current Kinect.
purge

Post by purge »

The NSA is paying them to capture your "O" face.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

No media support for the ps4. My fav. thing about the ps3. Looks like I'm out unless they add it in later. No mp3 support either. That's huge if you play the Show. You could import sounds from your teams. Now
not so much. All so you use their music and video streaming services. I hate companies.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

[Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's tweets about them listening to feedback and looking into MP3 support later.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have no intention of getting one soon so I guess I should just chill and see how it shakes out lol.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Isgrimnur wrote:Getting angry about features that you never have to use only makes sense if you view it through the lens of resources that could have been used to make or improve some other, unspecified feature.
That depends on whether or not those features are bundled into a mandatory device that costs almost as much as the console itself to make (the XBO could literally be $350 without the kinect 2, I expect such models to show up after launch/holiday even though they say no).

That being said, the kinect 2 appears to be everything I wanted to the kinect to be but wasn't.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well about time for the Xbox one! I have decided to keep my pre-order from Amazon, sold some things to keep it but I really am starting to get excited about the new system.

Here is my current pre-order:
Xbox One Day one edition
Extra controller
Forza 5
Just Dance 2014 (my wife wants it really bad...)
Dead Rising 3
COD Ghosts

I've gone back and forth on what games to get. I'm sold completely on Forza 5 it will absolutely be among the games I buy. Just dance 2014 I simply don't have a choice... so it will be too.

From there I have been struggling on what else to get. I would like some multi-player shooting action so I was deciding between COD and battlefied 4, but since COD is splitscreen as well and Battlefield is not I think I will stick with COD.
Beyond that I've been debating whether to buy Fifa 14, Dead rising 3, or Ryse. I'm kind of in a zombie mood right now so I am planning on keeping Dead rising 3, but I've changed my pre-order several time already on that 4th game so who knows if I am final on that or not yet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Here is my current pre-order:
Xbox One Day one edition
Extra controller - for skylanders
Forza 5 - the reason I am buying the system
Dead Rising 3 - bonus!
Need for Speed Rivals - I buy them all for better or for worse (The Run - ugh!)
Skylanders SWAP Force - kiddos
Nyko dual charging station - no idea if it's a good product, but I'm trying it

Some of that is direct from MS and and some is from Amazon. Sadly (happily) I will be at BGGcon on release day so I won't get to set it up and check it out until that Sunday, assuming everything is delivered. Sadly I can't unplug the 360 because my son won't be getting the new skylanders until christmas and I can't leave him skylanders-less.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

On day one I'll have:

Xbox One Day One Edition
Extra controller
Play and charge pack
Forza 5
Just Dance 2014

I'm picking up Just Dance 2014 solely based on the gameplay video of the Ghostbusters theme song. That WILL be busted out at Thanksgiving after a few beers. :D

My birthday is on the 26th and with Christmas around the corner, I'm hoping to score a lot of "free" games, so I'm not buying much else upfront. I'm hoping to get the following though:

Assassin's Creed 4
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Need for Speed: Rivals (depending on reviews)
Ryse (depending on reviews)

I haven't made up my mind yet on whether I'll go CoD:Ghosts, BF4, or skip both.

I have the entire post-launch week off work, so it's going to be a glorious gluttonous gorging of gaming goodness.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The one thing that has me slightly interested in next gen is the sports games. They keep on saying that this will give them the ability to make the AI much smarter. This is of course probably a lot of BS from the marketing teams, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I find it kind of funny that people love to pick on Nintendo (not here in particular just gamers in general) about how they just dump out updating versions of the same games with each new console and yet we have Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 as some of the big release games. :lol:

They better release DR3 to the PC as I do love me some Dead Rising.

ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Octavious wrote:The one thing that has me slightly interested in next gen is the sports games. They keep on saying that this will give them the ability to make the AI much smarter. This is of course probably a lot of BS from the marketing teams, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I find it kind of funny that people love to pick on Nintendo (not here in particular just gamers in general) about how they just dump out updating versions of the same games with each new console and yet we have Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 as some of the big release games. :lol:

This is probably off topic but why sports games? Assuming you mean football, baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer, and maybe hockey; isn't it cheaper and more fun to just play the real game? Hockey might be more expensive with skates and stuff. I guess I play video games to do things I can't do in real life; kill monsters, kill people, fly, boxing, high speed driving, etc...
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I can't speak for him but I don't get to play college football very often so alas I am stuck with simulating it on xbox. Sure I always enjoy a good game of touch football but that happens probably once a year.. just like I enjoy driving race cars but yeah that doesn't happen... ever so forza will be nice. Really the reason to enjoy sports games is no different than the reason to enjoy any other game in my opinion.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Why wouldn't the rules of a game that make for a fun sport also make for a fun video game?

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a hankering for playing a baseball game so I'm going to step out my front door and somehow easily make that happen.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I play sports games because I love managing the teams and playing out the games. In The Show I'm taking the Mets from their currently craptacular state and building them in a WS team. I certainly can't do that in real life. Hell nobody can do that in real life! :mrgreen:

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Octavious wrote:The one thing that has me slightly interested in next gen is the sports games. They keep on saying that this will give them the ability to make the AI much smarter. This is of course probably a lot of BS from the marketing teams, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.
I'm sure the capabilities of the new systems could allow for smarter AI. Unfortunately, I think the state of AI in sports games has more to do with the programmers than the system specs. There have been iterations of Madden on the 360 and PS3 that have much worse AI than football games on the PS2. So I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing more capable AI anytime soon.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ibdoomed wrote:

This is probably off topic but why sports games? Assuming you mean football, baseball, basketball, tennis, soccer, and maybe hockey; isn't it cheaper and more fun to just play the real game? Hockey might be more expensive with skates and stuff. I guess I play video games to do things I can't do in real life; kill monsters, kill people, fly, boxing, high speed driving, etc...
Even worse, lots of people WATCH sports! WTF?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

This is probably off topic but why would anyone watch sports on TV when it's more fun to put together a camera crew and film it yourself?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I play games because I suck at real life. :D
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

coopasonic wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

Well, I thought those were the people that had no desire to learn the sport or have any sort of interactive experience, couch potatoes in other words. If you're playing a video game, unless you're just button mashing, I assume you know or learn how to actually play the sport.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

ibdoomed wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

Well, I thought those were the people that had no desire to learn the sport or have any sort of interactive experience, couch potatoes in other words. If you're playing a video game, unless you're just button mashing, I assume you know or learn how to actually play the sport.
Why would anyone play Call of Duty when they could just head out and play paintball?

This is the kind of question that answers itself, really.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

ibdoomed wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:

... or they just like watching sports. I love watching football but I have no interest in playing it. Never have. 1. I'm not built for it beyond touch football 2. I value my brain too much. That doesn't mean I'm a couch potato though, I still spend lots of time outside doing plenty of other activities. But I still watch a football game or two every weekend because I really enjoy it. It's a form of entertainment like any other. It has its limits but in moderation is really enjoyable. Just like sports video games.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Sports games is and has always been one of the major segments of the gaming market. This "discussion" is pointless. I'm going to go back and drool at the PS4 screenshots of The Show. I don't think I'll be able to resist the PS4 monster when that comes out.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Octavious wrote:Sports games is and has always been one of the major segments of the gaming market. This "discussion" is pointless. I'm going to go back and drool at the PS4 screenshots of The Show. I don't think I'll be able to resist the PS4 monster when that comes out.
I don't see why you would look at screenshots of The Show when you could just assemble your own development team and design your own baseball video game to take pictures of.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not to beat a dead horse, but this reminds me of the common argument when Guitar Hero/Rock Band came out. "Why don't you just use that time to learn how to play a REAL guitar?"

I used to respond to that with, "Why play Call of Duty? Why don't you just join the military and go shoot real people?" :D
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I took off launch day, I'm such a geek

My launch day line up

XB1 Launch Edition

Forza 5
Dead Rising 3
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghost

Probably will pick up FIFA 14 at a later date
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
naednek

Post by naednek »

That's what they said last time.

I was playing BF4 on the PC on ULTRA quality, and I thought man the level of detail on the characters and environment would look awesome in Madden. Just imagine the weather effects and the sound effects alone if Madden used the Frostbyte 3 engine.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but this reminds me of the common argument when Guitar Hero/Rock Band came out. "Why don't you just use that time to learn how to play a REAL guitar?"

I used to respond to that with, "Why play Call of Duty? Why don't you just join the military and go shoot real people?" :D
Rocksmith is a game AND you learn a real guitar! OMG it's probably ripping a hole in space and time right now!

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Octavious wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Not to beat a dead horse, but this reminds me of the common argument when Guitar Hero/Rock Band came out. "Why don't you just use that time to learn how to play a REAL guitar?"

Rocksmith is a game AND you learn a real guitar! OMG it's probably ripping a hole in space and time right now!
I don't see why you would learn to play a real guitar using a fun video game when you could just invent your own new type of music instrument and create software to train people on how to use it and then use that software to learn how to play your new instrument.