If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ibdoomed

Re: [Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by ibdoomed »

pr0ner wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Initial impressions:
Install time on Forza is sooooooooooo loooooong.
Kinect 2.0 cable is way too short for my setup (front projector with A/V closet at the side of the room) and there is no such thing as an extension cable currently.
Wait, it's not just USB? How in the... that's just asinine... MS is alienating like %30 of their customer base that don't have the box near the front of their room?! Good thing they eliminated the requirement for it.
How do you know that 30% of their customer base doesn't have the XBox at the front of their room?
I don't remember which website I read that on. It fits with the people I know with consoles. Women don't want their living rooms cluttered with ugly devices (all consoles are ugly) and if they have a man cave, it's got a projector.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ibdoomed wrote: I don't remember which website I read that on. It fits with the people I know with consoles. Women don't want their living rooms cluttered with ugly devices (all consoles are ugly) and if they have a man cave, it's got a projector.
How did you fit that many generalizations into a single sentence?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote:
ibdoomed wrote: I don't remember which website I read that on. It fits with the people I know with consoles. Women don't want their living rooms cluttered with ugly devices (all consoles are ugly) and if they have a man cave, it's got a projector.
:lol:

Every woman I've ever met with a video game console has it under her TV, so it's nice to know that ibdoomed wrongly speaks for them.
Hodor.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

pr0ner wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Every woman I've ever met with a video game console has it under her TV, so it's nice to know that ibdoomed wrongly speaks for them.
Ahhh, I bet they are the child raising kind of women? I don't know any of them, that probably makes a difference.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ibdoomed wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Ahhh, I bet they are the child raising kind of women? I don't know any of them, that probably makes a difference.
Keep on lodging your foot further and further into your mouth. None of them have children.
Hodor.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

pr0ner wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:

Keep on lodging your foot further and further into your mouth. None of them have children.
Keep making snide remarks without contributing to the conversation. So they allow TV and game consoles to make an eyesore in their pretty visiting rooms or are you saying they only put a tv in the theater instead of a projector?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

:shock:

I'm just going to assume you're trolling now and let you keep on with your overly generalized backwards views.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So anyway, the Kinect 2.0 cable is 8-10 feet long, which is about 10 feet shy of what I need for my setup.

I installed Dead Rising 3 yesterday. It was faster than the Forza 5 install, but still insane. Game looks great. Only got to play for about 30 minutes as most of the "kids out of the house" time was eaten up by the install.
Kurth wrote:Don't buy this thing thinking you're getting a fully finished, mature product. If you go in with those expectations, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Unless the product you are looking for is a machine to play video games. It has that down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What is the cable for that is 10 feet long? To connect the Kinect to the XBONE? Why would your console be more then 10 feet from it? Just curious because I'll totally never cave and get one of these things one day. Nope never ever never.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a "Theater Room" in my house which has an A/V closet on the side. Big screen at the front of the room, projector on the ceiling, 8 speakers all around the place and all of the components in a closet off to the side. Also 3 power recliners in the middle and an overstuffed reclining couch for 3-4 on a platform in the back.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

coopasonic wrote:I have a "Theater Room" in my house which has an A/V closet on the side. Big screen at the front of the room, projector on the ceiling, 8 speakers all around the place and all of the components in a closet off to the side. Also 3 power recliners in the middle and an overstuffed reclining couch for 3-4 on a platform in the back.
My setup is similar. The only equipment in the actual theater is the projector itself and the speakers, everything else is in a different room to keep the noise out of the theater. Most of my friends have a virtually identical setup since it's far cheaper than going with a similar flatscreen setup.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

That sounds awesome. Yeah no idea why no extender for the cable. Or why it isn't usb like Kinect 1.0. Hopefully they rectify that soon.

The snap feature only works well for certain features. I watch the bears game yesterday with the nfl app showing stats from the bears game and scores from other games on the side. That was cool.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

That sounds awesome. Yeah no idea why no extender for the cable. Or why it isn't usb like Kinect 1.0. Hopefully they rectify that soon.

The snap feature only works well for certain features. I watch the bears game yesterday with the nfl app showing stats from the bears game and scores from other games on the side. That was cool.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:So anyway, the Kinect 2.0 cable is 8-10 feet long, which is about 10 feet shy of what I need for my setup.

I installed Dead Rising 3 yesterday. It was faster than the Forza 5 install, but still insane. Game looks great. Only got to play for about 30 minutes as most of the "kids out of the house" time was eaten up by the install.
Kurth wrote:Don't buy this thing thinking you're getting a fully finished, mature product. If you go in with those expectations, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Unless the product you are looking for is a machine to play video games. It has that down.
I think that statement's a little disengenuous. I mean, I thought the real reasons to buy an XBone over a PS4 were (1) TV integration; and (2) new Kinect. The fact that both of those features are a little half-baked at this point is disappointing to me. Like I said, it all depends on your expectations. If you go into it just looking for a next-gen game console that plays games, and you don't care a lick about Kinect or about the XBone functioning as your media/entertainment hub, I think you'll be pleased.

It games well. No question. But there are only a handful of titles out right now, and of those, there are only two or three that are really any good based on reviews (Forza, Dead Rising 3, AC4).

I'm sure I will grow to love the XBone as it evolves and improves. Right now, I'm kind of wishing I exercised a little restraint and stuck with my 360 for a while longer before diving in. After all, I have a huge backlog of great 360 games to play. Oh well. Such is life.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

coopasonic wrote:I have a "Theater Room" in my house which has an A/V closet on the side. Big screen at the front of the room, projector on the ceiling, 8 speakers all around the place and all of the components in a closet off to the side. Also 3 power recliners in the middle and an overstuffed reclining couch for 3-4 on a platform in the back.
Oh nice... I wish... I was just happy to buy a new TV stand last week. We were using two 30 dollar IKEA tables for the last year. My wife said she felt like she was living in a college dorm room. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had no interest in it for any of the other stuff. I just want to play pretty new games. The only problem I've had there is with install times. My god the install times.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wonder if it's the same on the PS4. It seems like both systems require you to install an asston of stuff before you can play. It was pretty common and annoying on the PS3. Feels like we're taking a step backwards in time when we're sitting around installing crap. :doh:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote:If you go into it just looking for a next-gen game console that plays games, and you don't care a lick about Kinect or about the XBone functioning as your media/entertainment hub, I think you'll be pleased.
If that were the case and you don't care about the console exclusives, doesn't that become a coin flip -$100 vs. the PS4?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Kurth wrote:If you go into it just looking for a next-gen game console that plays games, and you don't care a lick about Kinect or about the XBone functioning as your media/entertainment hub, I think you'll be pleased.
If that were the case and you don't care about the console exclusives, doesn't that become a coin flip -$100 vs. the PS4?
I guess if you don't care about console exclusives... but it seems most people have an opinion on exclusives they don't want to miss. It's only a coin flip if you have no interest in certain exclusives and if you think the bonuses are worth nothing. I for one love halo and I'm looking forward to titanfall. That takes the coin flip out for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who love Sony exclusives like the show or uncharted that eliminates the coin flip aspect for them too.

On top of that I really like the extra stuff xbox one has. I'm pleasantly surprised, and sometimes a bit blown away by the extra stuff the xbox does. But that is obviously just my opinion. But I don't think it is universally underwhelming, everyone who had seen mine has come away impressed. Microsoft did a great job with it imo so far. It can improve, and certainly will, but it's already impressive.
ericb

Post by ericb »

I was in the PS4 camp until I realized two things:

1. Almost every game coming out that I'm interested in will be available for both systems along with some Xbox exclusives (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3) I really want
2. All of my online friends that I will ever multiplayer with are getting/have an XBox One

I think the PS4 is a better system but the loss of many Sony exclusives, the XBox's superior multimedia experience, more potential with the Kinect and voice recognition and honestly $100 more for a system I'll be playing for the next 4-5 years on is basically a couple dollars more a month spread out.

The end result is I have a Xbox One now that I'm really enjoying and I will be getting a PS4 sometime in the future (year or so) when some actual exclusives are out that I care about.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

ericb wrote:I was in the PS4 camp until I realized two things:

1. Almost every game coming out that I'm interested in will be available for both systems along with some Xbox exclusives (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3) I really want
2. All of my online friends that I will ever multiplayer with are getting/have an XBox One

I think the PS4 is a better system but the loss of many Sony exclusives, the XBox's superior multimedia experience, more potential with the Kinect and voice recognition and honestly $100 more for a system I'll be playing for the next 4-5 years on is basically a couple dollars more a month spread out.

The end result is I have a Xbox One now that I'm really enjoying and I will be getting a PS4 sometime in the future (year or so) when some actual exclusives are out that I care about.
Titanfall is PC...
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I purchased one (my son's main xmas gift this year) via Amazon last week but now trying to learn what else is needed for when we open it up on xmas (please bear with me as the last console we purchased was the original Wii - which still gets a workout every week with all the kids). A few questions for you experts:

(1) [Controllers] With 3 kids + plus friends in the house most of the time, what is recommendation for # of controllers? I figured at least +1 was a no brainer but with the Wii we always needed to have 4 of everything. Was 4 a common number among xbox 360 fans for group games?

(2) [Gold Membership] I know its needed for online gaming, but is it needed to 'unlock' group gaming on one box? I would hope not, but just want to confirm.

(3) [Initial Games] Looking to get Madden 25, Dance 2014 and Forza 5 also with Zoo Tycoon and HALO (when they are released). I read somewhere that downloaded games will not require DVDs to switch, but store bought games will - seems like a no brainer to just download them to avoid wear and tear and failure on the DVDs - is this accurate? [assuming I don't want to trade/resell them later]

(4) [Other Gear] I plan to pick up energizer charging sets when they are released next week - but anything else I should consider buying to add to the opening day excitement?

Thanks
Last edited by Tampa_Gamer on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

On the controllers, check the games you want. Fewer and few games are supporting four local players.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yup wii is unique in that most games support 4 (or tons of games). One extra controller should pretty much do you fine unless they want 4 player madden. Just dance only uses the Kinect for up to six at once.

In terms of the games wearing out the drive they install if they are from the disc so I doubt either way they use much of the drive during the game.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Also you only need live to play online. Locally you don't need it.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

appreciate the advice, thanks
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you asked me a week ago if I would care about the voice command stuff, I would have said no emphatically. I mean people are talking about the ability to say xbnox on and have it turn on... wow, how amazing.. oh but you still have to push the button on the controller to turn the controller on... which would have turned the console on anyway. :P

Now having made some use of it, there are twop particular instances in specific games where I have to give it a big thumbs up. When you are playing Need for Speed Rivals and you are being hunted by a half dozen cops in supercars, the ability to say "GPS Hideout" or "GPS Repair Shop" and in less than a second have the route to the nearest relevant location pop up on your GPS is very cool. The other is in Dead Rising 3. "Over here" and nearby zombies come stumbling your way. Of course my wife says, "why would you want the zombies to come to you?" which is a valid question, but there are some uses for it.

Clever uses like those above are way more interesting and useful to me than "XBox on" or "XBox pause."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:If you asked me a week ago if I would care about the voice command stuff, I would have said no emphatically. I mean people are talking about the ability to say xbnox on and have it turn on... wow, how amazing.. oh but you still have to push the button on the controller to turn the controller on... which would have turned the console on anyway. :P

Now having made some use of it, there are twop particular instances in specific games where I have to give it a big thumbs up. When you are playing Need for Speed Rivals and you are being hunted by a half dozen cops in supercars, the ability to say "GPS Hideout" or "GPS Repair Shop" and in less than a second have the route to the nearest relevant location pop up on your GPS is very cool. The other is in Dead Rising 3. "Over here" and nearby zombies come stumbling your way. Of course my wife says, "why would you want the zombies to come to you?" which is a valid question, but there are some uses for it.

Clever uses like those above are way more interesting and useful to me than "XBox on" or "XBox pause."
Agreed on the Dead Rising 3 ability to bait and distract zombies. Fun. Also, though I never had any use for the SmartGlass features previously, I'm loving SmartGlass companion for Dead Rising 3. Having the map always there on my iPad is really helpful, and I love being able to zoom in using iPad touch controls.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

ibdoomed wrote:
ericb wrote:I was in the PS4 camp until I realized two things:

Titanfall is PC...
It's also important to note that this is a Free to Play title by EA. So it might be extremely important to wait and see how EA makes an otherwise perfect game terrible.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Brit Teen Dad Bought a Xbox One Picture... for $458 pounds (750 USD). WTF?! he really thought he was buying a whole console. Hahaha.

http://gawker.com/teen-spends-750-on-an ... 1477382834" target="_blank
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Kasey Chang wrote:Brit Teen Dad Bought a Xbox One Picture... for $458 pounds (750 USD). WTF?! he really thought he was buying a whole console. Hahaha.

http://gawker.com/teen-spends-750-on-an ... 1477382834" target="_blank
Wow. But let's not kid ourselves, that wasn't for the 4 year old son... but still write that someone would try and pull that off. Reminds me of arrested development.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's also important to note that this is a Free to Play title by EA. So it might be extremely important to wait and see how EA makes an otherwise perfect game terrible.
Titanfall is not free to play. Maybe I misunderstood the conversation.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Maybe the PC version is? No idea what he means
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah I was a little confused about that post. But I'm getting it on xb1 so it certainly won't be free to play for me. Which I'm more than happy about.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

PC version isn't free either - Amazon has PC editions for pre-order. I guess it's free to play after you've paid your $60. :D
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

I think Gavin meant that on PC there's no monthly fee unlike xbone.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not directed at anyone here, but I've never quite understood that mentality. Bring your lunch to work ONE day a month and you've paid for Xbox Live. Yet people will drop $700 on an Xbox, an extra controller, and a couple of games, then bitch because they've got to pay for Live.

I guess you could shell out $1000+ for a gaming PC so you can play for "free". :D
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think it's because what you are paying for really is just basic account storage and matchmaking, you weren't even paying for server hosting since back in the 360 days the developer/publisher still had to handle that, if they even used dedicated servers at all. Essentially the same situation you found on PC, but somehow you have to pay the cost of a game, per year, for it. Even stuff like invites and messages is something that's on PC.

Nowadays though, MS has their own dynamic servers for developers to use (still don't quite know how much they cost). But I think devs will still have to foot the bill for more advanced servers. Then again Titanfall does put everything on MS's dynamic server clusters.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

YellowKing wrote:Not directed at anyone here, but I've never quite understood that mentality. Bring your lunch to work ONE day a month and you've paid for Xbox Live. Yet people will drop $700 on an Xbox, an extra controller, and a couple of games, then bitch because they've got to pay for Live.

I guess you could shell out $1000+ for a gaming PC so you can play for "free". :D
If MS would just make it mandatory, the argument would go away. I think the big problem is the mentality of "I can do everything gaming except multiplayer without gold". If you had to have gold just to boot the box, then it would simply be part of the price and thus not an issue.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mandatory wouldn't work. There are a lot of people who just don't want or need Gold (myself included these days). Even Sony doesn't force you to subscribe to their service.
Covfefe!