[Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chrisoc13

Re: [Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well after a couple of weeks I'm still very, very happy with my Xbox One.

Mostly been playing Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5. Both are fantastic on the system. Dead Rising may not be the prettiest, but it does the best job showing off all of the extra things the Xbox One can do. Not only is the kinect support for the game really, really good, but also it has the best smart glass usage I have seen. It is exactly what I would hope smartglass could be used for. It has maps, store locations, etc. You can use it to change your nav point quickly. Sure you can do that from the console as well, but it is just so nice and easy to quickly pick up your phone. tablet and click on what you want and set a nav point etc. Honestly I wish other games would take advantage of smart glass. I am absolutely loving this game.

Forza is the beautiful game that plays fantastic. it shows off the systems graphics and the new controller beautifully. Especially the triggers etc. I could go on and on about how much I'm enjoying Forza.

Those two are my favorite launch games. Just Dance 2014 is good for what it is, and Fifa is Fifa, awesome but exactly what is expected. COD Ghosts was a disappointment for me and I already sold it off after beating the single player campaign. I played a couple of matches online and remembered I hate COD on Xbox live. So it is gone, just not my cup of tea.

The voice control for the Kinect and player recognition is still working really well as well. I was worried I might get tired of it but I'm finding myself relying on it more and more. I can't imagine not having it now, I'm a big fan.

The big downside I see with the system is the controller not coming with rechargeable batteries standard (sure the battery life is good but come on MS), and secondly the install times. The install times are sooooooo long. It can't be stated how long they are. Otherwise I am really happy with the system. I'm excited to see more of what it can become. I can only imagine they are going to continue to improve it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's been my experience as well. I honestly did not expect to make frequent use of the voice commands, but I use them far more than the controller now.

It used to take me two separate remotes, a change of inputs, and some menu navigation to open Netflix through my WDLive.

Now I say "Xbox on, Xbox Go To Netflix." Done.

The combination of voice commands and HDMI in has honestly enabled my wife to do anything on my system - watch TV, a DVD, or Netflix without having to come get me to do it for her because she couldn't understand how everything routed through my receiver. She absolutely loves it.

There are still a few quirks here and there, but this far it has exceeded my already lofty expectations.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well after my praise of the Xbox one today I hit a major snag: the cable tv pass through stopped working. My wife called while I was at work to let me know. So when I got home I took a look at it to try and see what was wrong. After talking to Microsoft and resetting the Xbox it worked fine. So I asked the nice lady on the phone if this was going to be a problem for a while. She said no. So I turned it on two hours later... again no good. Stopped working again. So I called MS and their service representative was a complete jack ass to me. Wouldn't get anyone else on the phone, so I finally had to hang up and recall because he would not stop telling me that the xbox had nothing to do with the problem. ok buddy... we will see what happens.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

It works now, but nobody seems sure of what the problem was. If it continues to be a problem they said they will just send me a new one and I can send them this one. Interesting. I really hope that doesn't happen because that sounds like a bit of a pain.

Most frustrating thing about the whole process was the one terrible MS customer service employee who kept telling me that it was the cable not the Xbox... despite my explanation of the situation and why that was extremely unlikely to be the case. After getting a different customer service rep it was indeed not the cable but the Xbox. We did reset it and correct an update so it seems possible that an update did not load properly. Annoying but hopefully it was a one time thing.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A co-worker of mine bought two Xbox Ones for his nephews, and he brought them over tonight to hook them up, run the update, and make sure they were working before Christmas Day.

First one - no issues whatsoever.

Second one would just give an error every time we tried to update. We verified no network issues, powered off/on, etc. to no avail. We ended up having to perform an offline update via USB stick, which worked, but now there's some doubt about whether the next update that comes along will work. I'm assuming we're good and it was just a software glitch, but still disappointing.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I saw a video on youtube that might be exactly what I do when I get an XBox One.

The gist of it was that you can take the hdmi OUT from xbox 360 and connect it to the hdmi IN on the XBox One, and then
connect the HDMI out to your tv/flatscreen.

The video shows how the user was playing GTA 5 within a reduced window on the XB1, while he was multi-tasking on the XB1.

The title of the video was Play XBox 360 games on the XBox One, which is really not what you're doing, but in a sense you are, because
doing within the window on the XB1, it's on the XB1 screen. Kinda neat trick. :csmile:
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yeah you can pass pretty much anything through the xbox one, but it is created for tv to pass through so it does best with that (voice commands etc are set up for tv). But anything could pass through.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I saw a video a while back of someone playing a PS4 on the XB1. Even The Doctor was thrown by that one.

/edit - I wonder if you could chain a half a dozen of them together, window in window in window.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
disarm

Post by disarm »

I saw a video of someone using an HDMI splitter to loop an Xbox One's HDMI output back into itself and display on a TV at the same time, creating a pretty crazy endless tunnel effect of the dashboard. It's totally unusable, but interesting to see what happens.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well the Dead Rising 3 companion app continues to get even more cool. Now I am getting missions while I am playing from my companion app. I usually have my phone on silent so I never noticed before but while the app is on the phone rings and calls come through with new missions. It's a cool integration of the smart glass feature, it really feels like a part of the game instead of some pasted on add-on. Also some texts come through as well. So far the missions that come through smart glass have not had time limits and have been worth a bit less in experience than the in-game missions but they add a nice variety as they are small little missions that can be done along the way. Several of them have also given up big stashes of weapons, which I'm always a fan of. Smart glass is really well implemented in this game, I'm hoping other games take a look at how well it was used and implement it as well.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Saw 2 xbox one's in my local walmart last week, saw 2 today in my local target. They are getting out there, I just need the $500 bones
and I'm in. :csmile:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Best buy had them around here this week, even without bundles!

Still waiting on the announcement or any information about an extension cable for Kinect 2.0.

Dreading my wife learning the "xbox turn off" command.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

coopasonic wrote:Best buy had them around here this week, even without bundles!

Still waiting on the announcement or any information about an extension cable for Kinect 2.0.

Dreading my wife learning the "xbox turn off" command.
Someone somewhere posted about cutting the cable and splicing in cat6 and claiming it worked fine. Instructibles maybe? I'll see if I can find it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I could certainly see that working, but I'm going to wait for the extension cable while continuing to complain about it. It's not critical for any of my needs. All I am really missing with it is the automatic sign-in on facial recognition.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Two months later and still no word on a kinect extension cable for XBone. monoprice says they are still working on it and no ETA.

I am finally getting back into Dead Rising 3 and really enjoying it. Just traded in NFS: Rivals and ACIV toward Thief. I haven't touched Forza in forever. I guess I should stop buying them (though I really liked Horizon).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not sure if there is a better place for this announcement, but it looks like Xbox Live is changing the requirements for streaming Netflix, Hulu Plus and the like for the better. Although other stuff may disappear as a result
We can report that multiple sources within Microsoft have been briefed on plans to make a long-awaited change to the Xbox Live Gold paywall for streaming media services. According to our sources, Xbox 360 and Xbox One users will soon no longer need a paid subscription to Xbox Live Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming media apps.

Additionally, we've been told that Xbox Live Gold may put other services behind the paywall to make up for this shift, though those sources could not confirm whether that includes existing services or if that only includes upcoming content like TV series from Xbox Entertainment Studios.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

cross-posted on Gaming Trend

See what happens when your main competitor is kicking your ass.  Kinect-free version for 399.00

Hubris cost MS this round like Sony last gen.  Let's see if MS can continue to get better :thumbsup:
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is not creepy at all.
To be clear, as we introduce this new Xbox One console option, Kinect remains an important part of our vision. Many of you are using Kinect for Xbox One every day. In fact, more than 80 percent of you are actively using Kinect, with an average of 120 voice commands per month on each console. Some of the most popular voice commands include “Xbox On,” “Xbox Broadcast” and “Xbox Record That.”
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

"Xbox turn off" is the only voice command I know.

Also, still waiting on that kinect 2.0 extension cable.

Please?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dude, surveillance at that level is so 2004:
When Justin Timberlake tore at Janet Jackson's leather outfit during Sunday's Super Bowl half-time show, TiVo users took notice.

Then they took notice again and again, using the digital video recorder to replay the event and to pause at the crucial moment in order to discern just what it was that Jackson had revealed to millions of Americans.

TiVo said that particular halftime stunt was the most replayed moment not only of the Super Bowl but of all TV moments that the young company has ever measured.
This marks the third year that TiVo has released details of its second-by-second review of how Super Bowl viewers used their TiVo units
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If there's any doubt as to who might have won this generation's console war, I'm seeing that starting in June you'll be able to buy an Xbox One without the Kinect 2.0 for $399? So much for it being a key component of the new generation...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only someone had let me know earlier...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, but did you know there is still no kinect extension cable?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I did not.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:If only someone had let me know earlier...
Man, I read through this thread like 3 times and totally missed the post by tru1cy!

Everyone was so focused on surveillance and the cable I totally missed it. More coffee!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Smoove_B wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:If only someone had let me know earlier...
Man, I read through this thread like 3 times and totally missed the post by tru1cy!

Everyone was so focused on surveillance and the cable I totally missed it. More coffee!
We all do it lol
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$50 price cut for the holidays.
The $50 off deal begins this Sunday, November 2. It's good (in the United States only) for standard Xbox One systems with or without Kinect, as well as the Assassin's Creed Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and Sunset Overdrive bundles.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

If anyone is looking for a heck of a good deal on an XBox One Bundle, Target just posted their Black Friday preview ad. They will be selling the Assassin's Creed Unity and Black Flag bundled with an XBox One for $329.99 and will be kicking in a $50 Target gift card on top of the XBox One. So if you shop regularly at Target and can use the Gift Card that's a Next Gen Console with Game for $279, which just seems astonishingly good.

It looks like it will be purchasable online as well as in stores from November 27-29.

Hat tip: Polygon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

How is the XBOne as a blu ray player? Between holiday gift cards and trade in I have about $200 in Gamestop credit burning a hole in my wallet, and I'm leaning towards getting and Xbox One. I'm thinking about what my wife's interactions with the thing would be like - she would pretty much only be using it for video (mostly blu ray). Is it easy to use? Quick to load blu rays? Anything else that distinguishes it from a regular devoted blu ray player? Right now we have an ordinary blu ray player that's a couple years old and is basically ok but nothing special.

Also - how is SmartGlass as a blu ray remote? Servicable?
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It works just fine as a BluRay player - I've never had any issues. I can't say that there's anything particularly fancy about it over a standalone player - you put a disc in and it plays.

The only caveat I would say is that there are times where you may need to use the Xbox controller to control playback - if your wife is like mine and doesn't even know which way is up with a controller, that could be an obstacle over a standard player.

I can't speak to the SmartGlass as a remote because I've never used it. That may nullify my caveat above.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My hope is that I could set up SmartGlass on her phone and have it work as an easy remote, negating her need to touch the controller (and, as a side benefit, negating any need to keep track of where the hell the blu ray remote control went).

The other advantage I can think of is that the XBone can stream Amazon Instant Video to the TV, which our Chromecast can't.

I'm basically preparing for my pitch meeting on this. :D
Black Lives Matter.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

It's a fine blu-ray player in that it does the job, and is 3d if you need it. I've used smart glass a fair amount and it works well for me. I mostly use voice controls to pause and play etc. So I don't use smart glass regularly. I do think they sell a regular remote to use but between the controller, smart glass, and the Kinect I have no use for it.

As far as a general entertainment hub yeah, it's the best device for that, especially if you run your cable through it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going to buy it without the Kinect. Voice commands only work if you have a Kinect, right? Also, I assume that the 3D feature is useless without a 3D TV?
Black Lives Matter.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

El Guapo wrote:I'm going to buy it without the Kinect. Voice commands only work if you have a Kinect, right? Also, I assume that the 3D feature is useless without a 3D TV?
Yes on both.

The Kinect for me has really only been useful for voice commands and for automatic recognition of the user. Now I'm used to it and love it but it has no serious in game usage that I have found terribly useful other than movement only games.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Thank you, sir.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'm going to buy it without the Kinect. Voice commands only work if you have a Kinect, right? Also, I assume that the 3D feature is useless without a 3D TV?
Yes on both.

The Kinect for me has really only been useful for voice commands and for automatic recognition of the user. Now I'm used to it and love it but it has no serious in game usage that I have found terribly useful other than movement only games.
Did you try Fantasia?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Pyperkub wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
Yes on both.

Did you try Fantasia?
I bought it, played it once, then got distracted and haven't been back to it. It seems really cool, but for some reason I don't have much interest in playing it.

There are some cool movement games, but no real use in "normal" games is what I'm getting at. If movement games don't interest you and you don't want to pay $100 for voice controls the Kinect is fairly useless. I mean there are a couple other uses such as Skype.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

So I watched a Blu-ray on my Xbox one last night and used smartglass as the remote the whole time just to check it out for you. It worked really well. There are two smart glass rote settings, one is as a regular Xbox controller, the other is as a cable/TV remote. I then proceeded to use it to control my DVR and watch TV etc. which it also did a really good job with. So yes, I can confirm that it worked really well as long as your device connects easily with the Xbox.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chrisoc13 wrote:So I watched a Blu-ray on my Xbox one last night and used smartglass as the remote the whole time just to check it out for you. It worked really well. There are two smart glass rote settings, one is as a regular Xbox controller, the other is as a cable/TV remote. I then proceeded to use it to control my DVR and watch TV etc. which it also did a really good job with. So yes, I can confirm that it worked really well as long as your device connects easily with the Xbox.
Thank you - that's very helpful.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's an official announcement - it will be available for $299 next week as part of "limited time" sales.
Spring forward to great deals! The Xbox Spring Sale begins on March 20th, and we’re offering Xbox One consoles at a special $299 price for a limited time. That’s $50 off all Xbox One console bundles at participating retailers in the US including the Xbox One Tom Clancy’s The Division Bundle that launched this month, the Xbox One 500GB Name Your Game Bundle which lets you choose one of four great games, and even the upcoming Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle.