If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

[Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by YellowKing »

The quick rundown:

- All-in-one entertainment box for the living room
- 8GB RAM, 8 core CPU, 500gb HD, Blu-Ray
- New Kinect, new controller (looks pretty much same as 360 but insides improved), updates to SmartGlass
- Instant on, fast switching between games, movies, TV, and music
- Ability to snap multiple inputs together (i.e. web on same screen as TV show)
- Integrated Skype
- New Kinect capable of detecting weight shifts, wrist rotation, depth, momentum behind movements, and heartbeat (<-- I call BS on this one without a sensor)
- 15 exclusives, 8 of them new IPs
- Forza 5, Quantum Break, CoD: Ghosts, and four EA Sports titles announced

Thoughts?
stessier

Re: [Xbox One] Official Announcement Thread

Post by stessier »

I don't think there is enough information to form an opinion yet.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's the GT Liveblog for the info and their reactions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No backwards compatability (including Live Arcade) probably means I'll just buy another 360 when they drop. All I use the Xbox for lately is Netflix and arcade anyway, thanks to a dead DVD drive. Made me realize that couch gaming isn't a requirement. (I can bed game on the PS3).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Reactivation cost for second hand games as well.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

You're quickly seeing the gaming world divide into two camps:

- I like the idea of a home entertainment box that makes all my media interactive!

and

- I didn't buy a console to f***ing watch TV!!!!

From the blogs I've read, more people are falling into the latter category. I admit I'd probably be in that camp 15 years ago, but these days with kids running around it's nice to know my console can do more than run games that I don't actually have time to play. I like the idea of this thing essentially turning my TV into a smart TV since I don't have the money to upgrade my TV anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see which strategy succeeds - Sony's focus on giving hardcore gamers a hardcore gaming experience, or Microsoft's desire to capture a market beyond hardcore gamers.

I think MS will need to really pull out all stops at E3 to win the gamer fan base back. They've proven they can destroy Sony in the realms of home theater integration and motion/voice control - the question is, does anyone really care?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:You're quickly seeing the gaming world divide into two camps:

- I like the idea of a home entertainment box that makes all my media interactive!

and

From the blogs I've read, more people are falling into the latter category. I admit I'd probably be in that camp 15 years ago, but these days with kids running around it's nice to know my console can do more than run games that I don't actually have time to play. I like the idea of this thing essentially turning my TV into a smart TV since I don't have the money to upgrade my TV anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see which strategy succeeds - Sony's focus on giving hardcore gamers a hardcore gaming experience, or Microsoft's desire to capture a market beyond hardcore gamers.

I think MS will need to really pull out all stops at E3 to win the gamer fan base back. They've proven they can destroy Sony in the realms of home theater integration and motion/voice control - the question is, does anyone really care?
The latter category seems like a vocal minority. If the One gets a foothold as a convergence device, it will sell to the Wii crowd ("do cool fun stuff on your TV") and gamers. At that point the crusty grognards won't even be on Microsoft's radar. They can sit and play single player games with their PS4, which will still probably have all the integrated bells and whistles the One will.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Reemul wrote:Reactivation cost for second hand games as well.
Where did you get that detail? I can't find confirmation of it anywhere.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

stessier wrote:
Reemul wrote:Reactivation cost for second hand games as well.
Where did you get that detail? I can't find confirmation of it anywhere.
It's up in the air and vague at best. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/21/xbox- ... me-market/" target="_blank

Not being able to run pathetic xbl games that even a phone can run seems like a real dick move.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We go through the backwards compatibility argument every time a new console rolls around. And nobody ever actually cares except a tiny, tiny minority.

I do agree it seems strange they wouldn't at least provide it for Xbox Live games, but I'm neither surprised or upset that it won't play 360 games. That's just me though. If I'm going to drop $400 on a next-gen console, it's sure as hell not going to be so I can play all my old crappy 6 year old games.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote:We go through the backwards compatibility argument every time a new console rolls around. And nobody ever actually cares except a tiny, tiny minority.

I do agree it seems strange they wouldn't at least provide it for Xbox Live games, but I'm neither surprised or upset that it won't play 360 games. That's just me though. If I'm going to drop $400 on a next-gen console, it's sure as hell not going to be so I can play all my old crappy 6 year old games.
I'm not upset either, I'm not saying they should have BC, just noting that I'm probably more likely to go with a cheap 360 than a One as long as Live support remains for the 360. My 360 has had a dead DVD drive for 2 years so I have 2 years to catch up on. And since it sees more time running Netflix than anything else, I don't see the need to upgrade just yet.

I'm not going to drop $400-$500 on a console when it only has a handful of games available, all at MSRP. I got the 360 right around launch and got punished buying titles for $60 a pop. I'm sure I'll get a One eventually.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MYT
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

YellowKing wrote:We go through the backwards compatibility argument every time a new console rolls around. And nobody ever actually cares except a tiny, tiny minority.

I'm with you on disk based games. But what about that brand new xbl game just released? Some people are still playing spelunky. I would also guess that the xbl market just collapsed today.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ibdoomed wrote:

I'm with you on disk based games. But what about that brand new xbl game just released? Some people are still playing spelunky. I would also guess that the xbl market just collapsed today.
Even if you believe that it's an architecture thing (tenuous IMO), and if you believe that an emulator isn't possible, one would hope that they would at least encourage ports of the more popular XBLA 360 games to the console. Since gamerscore carries over, licensing info should as well. Say with maybe a small few hundred point fee for upgrading.

MYT
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I thought half the point of a DirectX based machine was to make future backwards compatibility easier.

THEY ALL RUN DIRECTX. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, MICROSOFT?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After dropping hundreds of dollars on plastic instruments and their associated songs, the last thing I want to hear is "not backwards compatible".

I'm sure they've done their marketing homework, but this looks like a mess. I guess that means I'm not in the target demographic for what looks like a beta-max machine.

Regarding used games / online requirements (from Wired:)
What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Are developers forced to create games that have these online features, and are thus not playable offline? They are not, Xbox exec Whitten said to Wired — but “I hope they do.” So the always-online future may come in incremental steps.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Bob

Post by Bob »

Count me among those who don't need my console to provide me with voice control for my TV. Very underwhelmed by the Xbox One reveal.

I skipped the PS3 this gen, but I think Sony's direction with the PS4 is going to win this round.
Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote:You're quickly seeing the gaming world divide into two camps:

and

I'm pretty firmly in the latter camp and the more I hear about all the other "stuff" the new Xbox/PS4 does, the less interested I become.

My shift back to PC gaming is nearly complete at this point, with the occasional console-exclusive exception (mostly JRPGs).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bear in mind that E3 is in three weeks. The console announcement wasn't going to be as game-focused in this window. The real gamer stuff will be shown then. Of course, it still might be a disappointment then, but keep that in mind.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is too early to tell for sure, but my gut reaction is that my recent decision to wean my kids from XBox Live to PSN is going to pay off early in the next generation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Was anything announced in regard to an increase on Xbox Live Subscription costs? That's really all I care about. Fifa 14 with exclusive ultimate team..
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: The latter category seems like a vocal minority. If the One gets a foothold as a convergence device, it will sell to the Wii crowd ("do cool fun stuff on your TV") and gamers. At that point the crusty grognards won't even be on Microsoft's radar. They can sit and play single player games with their PS4, which will still probably have all the integrated bells and whistles the One will.
That's OK. Many of my favorite games came out when we were an oddball minority.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote:The quick rundown:

- All-in-one entertainment box for the living room
But it goes in the media room!
- 8GB RAM, 8 core CPU, 500gb HD, Blu-Ray
blu-ray is good, disk space is good
- New Kinect, new controller (looks pretty much same as 360 but insides improved), updates to SmartGlass
don't care x3
- Instant on, fast switching between games, movies, TV, and music
takes my projector a minute or so to warm up, no big deal
- Ability to snap multiple inputs together (i.e. web on same screen as TV show)
Even on a 110" screen I only want one thing going on at a time.
- Integrated Skype
no
- New Kinect capable of detecting weight shifts, wrist rotation, depth, momentum behind movements, and heartbeat (<-- I call BS on this one without a sensor)
can it detect me in my stupid-dark media room? still no?
- 15 exclusives, 8 of them new IPs
Remember all those great exclusive new IPs for the 360? Yeah, me either.
- Forza 5, Quantum Break, CoD: Ghosts, and four EA Sports titles announced
Thoughts?
I may buy a backup 360 in case this one blows up. Where's my 4K support? The future feels a lot like the now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Show me someone actually making 4K content. Besides, does your projector do 4K content, or do you need a new one?
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Isgrimnur wrote:Show me someone actually making 4K content. Besides, does your projector do 4K content, or do you need a new one?
I'm on the fence here. The 360 doesn't do native 1080 does it? Everything is actually 720 upscaled? So I doubt the xbox1 could handle 4k anyway, it would just upscale 1080, blah. On the other hand, I'd say many of us are likely to upgrade projectors inside the xbox1's lifespan and why wouldn't we go 4k?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Eco-Logic wrote:Was anything announced in regard to an increase on Xbox Live Subscription costs?
Oh, I'm sure they're still going to charge money for it - and without a subscription you won't have all of the added services. Here is all I could find though:
According to Microsoft, the new features of the upgraded Xbox Live include:

Smart Match: A new Smart Match matchmaking system virtually eliminates waiting in lobbies by estimating wait times and finding people you want to play with while you're enjoying other activities -- your reputation matters and helps find best matches.
Game DVR: A dedicated Game DVR to captures and access your gaming moments, all saved to the cloud, along with editing and sharing tools.
Living games: Dynamic, living worlds evolve and improve the more you play, and advanced artificial intelligence can learn to play like you so friends can play against your shadow.
Expanded achievements: A new and expanded achievements system captures video of key moments, continues to grow a game's achievements over time, and rewards you in new ways, and Gamerscores carry over from Xbox 360.
Xbox SmartGlass: Xbox SmartGlass is natively part of the Xbox One platform, built in from the beginning with the ability to quickly render content directly onto your device. Now more devices can connect at one time for multiplayer and shared entertainment.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From Kotaku -- more on how the whole "used game" market will work. First when you purchase a new game:
Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.
And then let's say you want to bring your copy of the game to a buddy's house (or rent/borrow from some other source):
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.
Goodnight moon - and here's the reason why. Unlike the XBL Marketplace, games on STEAM experience ridiculous discounts. Ridiculous. If they're telling me AAA console titles are going to be offered for 25%+ off thirty days after release and then 50%+ two months and on, that's a whole different story. But I've never seen anything for Xbox titles like what STEAM offers PC gamers. Never.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:Show me someone actually making 4K content. Besides, does your projector do 4K content, or do you need a new one?
I want the games to be the 4k content that will drive me to buy a 4k projector.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Calavera[GG]

Post by Calavera[GG] »

I'm thinking the PC will be the big winner this round. Steam is getting some name traction with console gamers.

If the Xbox One/PS4 are basically a specialized PC using DirectX (in the XBO's case), the quality of console ports should be much higher than the 360/PS3. I'm wondering if the XBO's controller will make it's way to the PC like the 360's...
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

YellowKing wrote:heartbeat (<-- I call BS on this one without a sensor)
Not only can you do it with any camera that records video, you can do it after the fact with any video. I saw a video on a technology to do this months ago, so at least I know it's possible. I think MIT was working on it, and I recall them open sourcing it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...and there we see why EA got rid of Online Pass.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: The latter category seems like a vocal minority. If the One gets a foothold as a convergence device, it will sell to the Wii crowd ("do cool fun stuff on your TV") and gamers. At that point the crusty grognards won't even be on Microsoft's radar. They can sit and play single player games with their PS4, which will still probably have all the integrated bells and whistles the One will.
That's OK. Many of my favorite games came out when we were an oddball minority.
When manufacturers had to cater to us. Now, why are they going to make a gaming-only console when they can get blanket access to the most coveted room in the house?

Besides, we can always get the Steambox.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:
I want the games to be the 4k content that will drive me to buy a 4k projector.
Fair enough.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:...and there we see why EA got rid of Online Pass.
Why not announce it a week early so they can garner the sweet, sweet karma, when they know it's all a moot point when Microsoft would do it for them (if true)?
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Did they say if having kinect connected is required for it to function? If so, that's the absolute dealbreaker and nothing else matters. Even if it did the dishes and wiped my ass for me, I'm not going to have kinect watching and listening to me all the time.
Calavera[GG]

Post by Calavera[GG] »

ibdoomed wrote:Did they say if having kinect connected is required for it to function? If so, that's the absolute dealbreaker and nothing else matters. Even if it did the dishes and wiped my ass for me, I'm not going to have kinect watching and listening to me all the time.
Currently, yes.

Via Polygon
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Looks like I'll be getting a PS3 once they drop in price when the new generation of consoles gets released. Not remotely interested in the XBox One and not interested in the price point of a PS4.

Hopefully my 360 lasts long enough so I can play Rock Band with my kids when they get older. No backwards compatibility can bite me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

One thing that has puzzled me is the vicious backlash against the Xbox I've been seeing on Facebook. "I'm getting a PS4 for sure now, Xbox One sucks!!!"

So to compare:

- Sony's console (which we haven't even seen yet) has a bunch of games announced for it. Same hardware as the One except for a slight edge in GPU.

- Microsoft's console is actually shown. Full motion control and voice commands. Turns your TV into a Smart TV. AND it plays games.

Personally, I want the most bang for my buck if I'm going to drop $400-$500. I mean hell, even if I don't use the PIP feature on my TV, it's nice to know it's there!

There seems to be some perception that because MS is adding a lot of TV-integrated technology, they're not going to focus on gaming. The reality is, Microsoft doesn't have to focus on gaming - they just have to focus on selling units. And the more units that sell, the more game developers will be beating down the doors to develop games for the system. If you're a gamer, having this unit in as many living rooms as possible (no matter the reason) is a GOOD thing.
Last edited by YellowKing on Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disarm

Post by disarm »

coopasonic wrote:
According to MS, it will work just as well in a completely dark room as a fully lit one, and will be able to filter out distracting light sources in a well-lit room thanks to the 'Active IR' camera technology they're using now. They talked about it with Geoff Keighley in the post-reveal episode of GameTrailersTV on SpikeTV and actually showed the new Kinect in action in a dark room. I think the amount of fine detail in the IR video is actually pretty impressive...looks pretty much like nightvision.

You can check it out in this video...jump to the 3:00 mark for the Kinect segment, and Keighley specifically asks about using it in the dark at about 4:00. It really looks like you won't have anything to worry about with using the new Kinect in the dark...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I admit the PS4 looks nice. but so does this XboxOne. But I can't afford either so no big deal to me.

I guess Im lucky that my Xbox 360 Elite is still fine after 2 years.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Post by Rip »

disarm wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
According to MS, it will work just as well in a completely dark room as a fully lit one, and will be able to filter out distracting light sources in a well-lit room thanks to the 'Active IR' camera technology they're using now. They talked about it with Geoff Keighley in the post-reveal episode of GameTrailersTV on SpikeTV and actually showed the new Kinect in action in a dark room. I think the amount of fine detail in the IR video is actually pretty impressive...looks pretty much like nightvision.

You can check it out in this video...jump to the 3:00 mark for the Kinect segment, and Keighley specifically asks about using it in the dark at about 4:00. It really looks like you won't have anything to worry about with using the new Kinect in the dark...
Sounds like the time is perfect for that new console game concept I had. Cheetos and hand lotion. The masturbation game that lets you challenge yourself or your friends.

:D